• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

this_guy

Hey guys.

So, I got a Moto X 2nd Gen as a gift this past weekend. I'm impressed at how great the phone looks and feels (it's the black leather version).

But one thing is REALLY bothering me: battery life.

Is it really this atrocious? I'm barely able to get 8h out of it. Is there something wrong with it's Lollipop release or something software wise, or is the 2300mha battery simply not enough and I'm basically SOL?

Yes it's pretty bad. Camera is also pretty bad. People recommend this phone all the time because it's near stock Android and they try to downplay how bad the battery life is by calling it average.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I hate how they dinged the S6 for no expansion slot, but didn't give Samsung props for moving to 32 gigs stock.

You know the Verge won't knock Apple for either of these things too.

Hey guys.

So, I got a Moto X 2nd Gen as a gift this past weekend. I'm impressed at how great the phone looks and feels (it's the black leather version).

But one thing is REALLY bothering me: battery life.

Is it really this atrocious? I'm barely able to get 8h out of it. Is there something wrong with it's Lollipop release or something software wise, or is the 2300mha battery simply not enough and I'm basically SOL?

motorola made the ignorant mistake of increasing the screen size substantially yet BARELY increasing the battery capacity. You're seeing the result of that.
Hopefully literally every review dinging them for it was enough to wake them up for this year!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
%EB%A7%8C%EC%9A%B0%EC%A0%88_main.jpg

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/galaxy-blade-edge-chefs-edition/

Sid

The Verge guy says that Samsung's Touch ID isn't as good as the iPhone but doesn't even say why,rest of the review seemed pretty spot on IMO

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Verge guy says that Samsung's Touch ID isn't as good as the iPhone but doesn't even say why,rest of the review seemed pretty spot on IMO

Because iPhone, that's why. It's almost like you never read a Dieter Bohn review before.

Furyous

That's your primary takeaway from this interview.

LOFL

Let's get this out the way first:
I'm a Samsung hater.
The S6 is blatant ripoff of the iPhone 6.
The S6 Edge is pointless as the review points this out.

This is easily the best Galaxy smartphone of all time. 577 PPI with a 2560 x 1440 resolution at 5.1 inches is god-tier. I'm not sure my body is ready for all dem feels. I kind of want one of these devices. LG needs to take notes and come with something similar in a 5.1 inch form factor. Hopefully I/O brings good news on future stock android devices.

What's the dev community like on Galaxy devices?
What are the odds this device receives updates for three years?
Is there a way to disable the back and menu buttons on the S6?

Husker86

Half day battery life is god-tier too huh?

When you can charge it with quick charge or charging pads, it's an issue that can be managed (unlike bad camera, spotty performance).

Anyway, I realize I'm in the minority of caring about several day battery life (what's the point? whatever, to each his own).

Half day battery life sounds extremely exaggerated.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
That's your primary takeaway from this interview.

LOFL

Let's get this out the way first:
I'm a Samsung hater.
The S6 is blatant ripoff of the iPhone 6.
The S6 Edge is pointless as the review points this out.

This is easily the best Galaxy smartphone of all time. 577 PPI with a 2560 x 1440 resolution at 5.1 inches is god-tier. I'm not sure my body is ready for all dem feels. I kind of want one of these devices. LG needs to take notes and come with something similar in a 5.1 inch form factor. Hopefully I/O brings good news on future stock android devices.

What's the dev community like on Galaxy devices?
What are the odds this device receives updates for three years?
Is there a way to disable the back and menu buttons on the S6?
Less dickish answers:
1. substantial
2.very high
3.Currently no, but with the dev community galaxy devices have, someone will eventually do it

Furyous

Half day battery life is god-tier too huh?

The reviewer made it to midnight sometimes and that's great considering the battery is average. But, but, but, 577 PPI. I need the Erica Griffin 20 minute review on the RGB spectrum, possible burn-in issues, brightness levels (anything below 500 is some peasant shit), in my opinion, in 2015.

Yes it is,you have a problem? It's a review BTW

As a matter of fact I do have a problem because it's a very positive review of a Galaxy smartphone. That video was very short so Dieter couldn't expound upon his statement in-depth obviously. However, he applauds Samsung for the fingerprint scanner:

"If there’s any single feature of the iPhone you could say Samsung copied, it’s the fingerprint sensor. And thank god it did, because it’s actually useful as an unlocking mechanism now. The interface for setting it up looks exactly like Apple’s, with a fingerprint that slowly gets colored in as it learns. But you can use it from any angle simply by resting your finger on the home button, and though it’s not quite as fast or as accurate as the iPhone, it’s very close."

Deter has to compare the fingerprint scanner to the iPhone because that's what the average person asks when they enter the store. This is not a case of the verge bias against Samsung or Android as a whole.

*EDIT*

Thanks DrFunk for the answers. I might lose my RDF membership card if I buy this device but we'll see how that pans out. I need the MKBHD Erica Griffin reviews before deciding as well as the G4, X3, and Z4 specs. Also, that price needs to come down by $200 on the 128 GB version.

Toki767

I have to think that the reason the S6's fingerprint reader might not be as accurate as the iPhone's is because the iPhone has a circular button you can place your finger on whereas the S6's rectangular button makes it less likely to capture a good portion of your finger.

The reviewer made it to midnight sometimes and that's great considering the battery is average.

Hilarious, you believe in half sentences in addition to half battery life. Let me post the full sentence for you.

"There were days that I made it to midnight and beyond before it conked out, and there were days where the battery saver mode kicked in as early as 6PM."

Look, Super High Res screens are great and all but not when you have hardware design requirements that only allow for a 2600 mah battery. If you wanna go thin you have to make sacrifices like a 1080p screen. Why is Apple the only company to understand this. HTC just fucked up so im not counting them.

Wreav

Banned
Droidlife test the fast charging on the S6 with the included charger.

Started at 5%
5 minutes in – 14%
15 minutes in – 32%
40 minutes in – 76%
50 minutes in – 88%
72 minutes in – 100%

gcubed

Droidlife test the fast charging on the S6 with the included charger.

Started at 5%
5 minutes in – 14%
15 minutes in – 32%
40 minutes in – 76%
50 minutes in – 88%
72 minutes in – 100%

seems about right, i can charge my n6 to full from dead in a smidgen over an hour

HawkeyeIC

motorola made the ignorant mistake of increasing the screen size substantially yet BARELY increasing the battery capacity. You're seeing the result of that.
Hopefully literally every review dinging them for it was enough to wake them up for this year!

They've already fixed it on the Turbo. Just take the turbo, add a better camera, and make the style like the X. I'm all over that phone.

Husker86

I have to think that the reason the S6's fingerprint reader might not be as accurate as the iPhone's is because the iPhone has a circular button you can place your finger on whereas the S6's rectangular button makes it less likely to capture a good portion of your finger.
Some have said it's faster than the iPhone's scanner, so we'll just have to wait and see. I'll definitely be able to tell since I've been using my iPhone for the last month. I'm excited, it's probably my favorite feature of the iPhone.

L.O.R.D

who here have lumia phones ?
my father is searching for a phone
he really not very good with technology
i want something simple and durable

the andriod phones are not very stable , and not easy to use
i had HTC 8X WP8 for 2 year, and very rare i had to do restart for the device

i am thinking about lumia 535,any one tried it ?

Well today has been a shitty day. So Google removed my app from Google Play about a week ago (already ranted about that when it happened) because of Apple complaining my icon was too similar and now just today they killed the ad revenue (3.2 million active users) because the app is no longer on Google Play despite people still using it...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well today has been a shitty day. So Google removed my app from Google Play about a week ago because of Apple complaining my icon was too similar and now just today they killed the ad revenue (3.2 million active users) because the app is no longer on Google Play despite people still using it...
Weak. How much money did ads net you?

Weak. How much money did ads net you?

It's been down this year but before they removed the app off Google Play around $400 a day past couple months. After removal around $280 or say a day. Now probably next to nothing..maybe a couple bucks a day. I'm just relying on the other apps I have up but that won't be much. Definitely can't live off of it. That app they removed was so much time I put in man. I'm just one person not some big company that afford that loss. I've since removed anything Apple can possibly complain about and reuploaded as a different package but I doubt it will ever get there again. If anything I just reuploaded so all the existing users can redownload the app and use it because many people have emailed me and said they love the app so I just did it for them...that is if they can find it on Google Play since it seems search relies upon upon ratings/reviews. New apps are hard to find. Kinda sucks because I'm getting lots of emails from users about moving to new devices and I can't download anymore and I have to tell them what happened and where to download...sigh

Wreav

Banned
Well today has been a shitty day. So Google removed my app from Google Play about a week ago (already ranted about that when it happened) because of Apple complaining my icon was too similar and now just today they killed the ad revenue (3.2 million active users) because the app is no longer on Google Play despite people still using it...

You can't upload the new app with an identical com name?

Top Bottom