• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Well the double tap that used to be for S-Voice opens the camera now. And on mine at least, holding down the home button goes to Google Now. But I have S-Voice disabled.

So to answer your question, yes.

Google Now/Search was long press home since Sammy swapped the menu button for the task switcher.

The S6 is going yo be my first Android phone. So I can double tap home to bring up the camera, or long press it to bring up Google Now?

Thats what they seem to be saying. Im curious how the fingerprint reader works with all this though.

Fingerprint unlocks then if you are still holding google now comes up? Or do you have to long press twice? Hmmm

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It stops after 4 hours by design. I still find that Llama works better for location unlock though. That app has been working well for years now with minimal updates.

But I still need an app to turn off screen, without locking it. So I can use double tap in Nova.

is double tap to wake hardware specific? Did I just luck out that my Nexus 4 and Z3 both had it? Such a handy feature, especially combined with smart lock and the new smart notifications on the lock screen.

Saiyan-Rox

Was actually considering getting a OPO again. had it in my checkout and them remembered that the 4G signal doesn't work here with my carrier....Ah well.

AndyD

aka andydumi
is double tap to wake hardware specific? Did I just luck out that my Nexus 4 and Z3 both had it? Such a handy feature, especially combined with smart lock and the new smart notifications on the lock screen.

Double tap to wake is not hardware specific. It's double tap to sleep that is tougher to do with the same effect.

On my G2 both work wonders on stock. But if you change the launcher (say to Nova), you lose double tap to sleep. So the workaround is to set a gesture (double tap) in Nova to launch an app. There are many apps out there that do "sleep and lock" so they turn off the screen and lock the phone. But I have yet to find one that only does sleep. The reason I need just sleep is because if it also locks, then when the phone wakes up it needs to be unlocked, regardless of smart lock settings, effectively negating any smart lock feature.

So finding a "sleep" app would be great because then I could use Nova and get the other benefits of smart lock and whatnot.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Double tap to wake and sleep is god like on my SOs G2 and my G3.

Whenever I use my Nexus 7 I'm like fuuuuu no double tap.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Double tap to wake is not hardware specific. It's double tap to sleep that is tougher to do with the same effect.

On my G2 both work wonders on stock. But if you change the launcher (say to Nova), you lose double tap to sleep. So the workaround is to set a gesture (double tap) in Nova to launch an app. There are many apps out there that do "sleep and lock" so they turn off the screen and lock the phone. But I have yet to find one that only does sleep. The reason I need just sleep is because if it also locks, then when the phone wakes up it needs to be unlocked, regardless of smart lock settings, effectively negating any smart lock feature.

So finding a "sleep" app would be great because then I could use Nova and get the other benefits of smart lock and whatnot.

can't tasker turn the screen off?

edit: Try this?
I use tasker secure settings execute command "input keyevent 26" which simply emulates power button

Was actually considering getting a OPO again. had it in my checkout and them remembered that the 4G signal doesn't work here with my carrier....Ah well.

Too close to the oneplus 2 at this point anyway, you might as well wait and see what they come up with

The rumours for oneplus 2 have been interesting. They seem to be going in a different direction with it. Sort of. Making it more premium. I wonder if the price will go up a lot, I'm sure it'll still beat everything else in price but yeah. Interested to see it.

Saiyan-Rox

Possibly true, but at minimum the OG OPO will still be around. Win win IMO

with the lack of 4G band in it for here I don't think I'll go for it tbh I think it's the reason I got rid of it lol

have to give it to OP even though the software updates are so damn slow and always seem to have a certification error at least they tell people unlike some OEM

also after talking to @Milpool via PM about this speaker thing on the N6 turning on touch sounds seems to make some of the problem go away.

DrFurbs

Guys I have bit of a issue. I have installed the ElementalX kernel and just received the 5.1 update. Can I just apply it or do I have to do anything?

manfestival

anyone else think that one plus one will take the nexus route and release an even badder phone but up the price by $100 and keep the previous version at the same price?

MercuryLS

Banned
The rumours for oneplus 2 have been interesting. They seem to be going in a different direction with it. Sort of. Making it more premium. I wonder if the price will go up a lot, I'm sure it'll still beat everything else in price but yeah. Interested to see it.

Can you post the rumors?

Nikokuno

Just saw the S6E a la FNAC (France)... That design, those curves, that price tag. The S6 is a nice looking device but the metal band should match color of the device too make it perfect, oh and the black sapphire looks surprisingly amazing.

I get the rage, but why would you believe that? Nothing good happens on April Fool's Day.

I actually grasped that it was bullshit about five seconds after reading the headline, but it's still annoying.

Such a dumb "holiday." It's the day where unfunny people think they're hilarious.

NotBacon

How is Hangouts for video chats compared to Skype? I don't have an iPhone anymore so I can't use FaceTime with my sis anymore. Skype is really not very good unless I have a strong wifi connection, it sucks over data.

I've been using hangouts for over a year now for video conferencing at work. Works great. Also have used it personally in the past for 1 on 1 video chats and never had a problem.

Just visited the verge for the first time in a loooong time.

ublocker blocked over 530 ads and it was going to keep rising but I closed the tab, is this normal for that site now?

Lol damn had to check for myself. Only getting 16 with ublocker.

The Nexus route is to release a phone no one wants for twice the price, so...why not!

Many people actually want it now that the FUD has cleared. Pretty sure the problem was no one could even get one.

reKon

Banned
Another day where I refresh to check if my phone's Lollipop update has came through...

Well a new update did appear...

for Sony's 'What's New' app...

I hate everything

This is a real picture I took earlier today.

samsungcathedral.jpg

This is the Milan Samsung Cathedral. It's a gigantic Gothic cathedral which took nearly 600 years to complete that occupies a large square in the center of Milan. The cathedral however has run into funding problems with it's preservation due to Italian budget cuts, and they have been soliciting both individuals and organizations to help pay for maintaining this really big church.

Samsung is apparently paying for some of the restoration work on the cathedral's left walls, and in addition to having Samsung advertising plastered all over the scaffolding on those walls, there's this huge obnoxious 5-million inch TV blasting ads for Samsung products nonstop. I was standing there taking pictures of the cathedral while ads for the Galaxy S6 and Edge, UHDTVs, and other Samsung crap were busy playing on a loop completely ruining the front view of this magnificent and ostentatious example of Gothic architecture and Roman Catholic grandeur.

Fuck you, Samsung. Seriously.

MercuryLS

Banned
This is a real picture I took earlier today.

samsungcathedral.jpg

This is the Milan Samsung Cathedral. It's a gigantic Gothic cathedral which took nearly 600 years to complete that occupies a large square in the center of Milan. The cathedral however has run into funding problems with it's preservation due to Italian budget cuts, and they have been soliciting both individuals and organizations to help pay for maintaining this really big church.

Samsung is apparently paying for some of the restoration work on the cathedral's left walls, and in addition to having Samsung advertising plastered all over the scaffolding on those walls, there's this huge obnoxious 5-million inch TV blasting ads for Samsung products nonstop. I was standing there taking pictures of the cathedral while ads for the Galaxy S6 and Edge, UHDTVs, and other Samsung crap were busy playing on a loop completely ruining the front view of this magnificent and ostentatious example of Gothic architecture and Roman Catholic grandeur.

Fuck you, Samsung. Seriously.

Your picture would be much nicer if it was taken with the all new Samsung Galaxy S6® or S6 Edge®. Pick one up today at your favourite carrier!

Anyone know what's up with the 128GB versions of the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge?

The only great April Fool's day joke is when EGM created the Sheng Long hoax in SF2. Other than it's been nothing but non funny and not believeable headlines year after year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheng_Long

I still think Kazuya being playable in Tekken 3 was a good one:

CyB4LfD.jpg

I still remember in like 1998 or 1999 Mr. Marty Chinn doing a April Fools joke for Gaming Age about Kazuya in Tekken 3.

Doctored screen(s?) and everything.

Worked so well it was published in some magazines throughout Asia. And I know at least a few years later GA would still get emails asking about it. :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2867108&postcount=89

Alright brief initial impressions of the T-Mobile Variant GS6:

-Thing is fast. Lag? Haven't noticed any at all.
-Double tap for camera is genius. This makes hardware button superior.
-Build quality is legit.
-Debloated? Lol not really. There's still a ton of junk.
-Fingerprint sensor is not 100%, but it was like 90%.
-Screen is legit as hell.
-I would love to give a battery impression, but it is way too early to do that.
-Speakers are pretty loud. Not boomsound obviously, but it is a huge bump from the rear ones.
-Software is much more manageable. Settings is very easy to navigate.

Will report back with more stuff if i find out.

manfestival

-Build quality is legit.
-Speakers are pretty loud. Not boomsound obviously, but it is a huge bump from the rear ones.

sounds like you are enjoying the phone. I wont know till tomorrow since its scheduled to arrive then but what are your personal thoughts?

MercuryLS

Banned
Thanks for the impressions. You can disable a lot of the junk right? Also how's the phone's performance with a 3rd party launcher like Google Now.

-Build quality is legit.

How's multitasking? How many Internet tabs can you open without needing to refresh between each one? Can you have a game open and open something else without exiting the game?

Yea you can disable most of them. There are some essential stuff you can't though which makes sense.

I haven't tried Google Now Launcher or Nova yet. I probably will slap Nova on it. I immediately disabled My Magazine or whatever that junk is.

Top Bottom