• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

MercuryLS

Banned
Yea you can disable most of them. There are some essential stuff you can't though which makes sense.

I haven't tried Google Now Launcher or Nova yet. I probably will slap Nova on it. I immediately disabled My Magazine or whatever that junk is.

Cool, yeah I'll probably put nova on there too.

How's multitasking? How many Internet tabs can you open without needing to refresh between each one? Can you have a game open and open something else without exiting the game?

Not sure I haven't had alot of tabs open and I haven't gamed yet. The tabs still refresh though. At this point I don't even think it's a RAM thing.

The black is more blue really. In many lighting conditions it gives off an obvious blue hue.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Double tap to wake is not hardware specific. It's double tap to sleep that is tougher to do with the same effect.

On my G2 both work wonders on stock. But if you change the launcher (say to Nova), you lose double tap to sleep. So the workaround is to set a gesture (double tap) in Nova to launch an app. There are many apps out there that do "sleep and lock" so they turn off the screen and lock the phone. But I have yet to find one that only does sleep. The reason I need just sleep is because if it also locks, then when the phone wakes up it needs to be unlocked, regardless of smart lock settings, effectively negating any smart lock feature.

So finding a "sleep" app would be great because then I could use Nova and get the other benefits of smart lock and whatnot.
Double tap to sleep works perfectly fine on my G2 with Nova as long as you do it on the top edge of the screen.

NotBacon

Alright brief initial impressions of the T-Mobile Variant GS6:

-Thing is fast. Lag? Haven't noticed any at all.
-Double tap for camera is genius. This makes hardware button superior.
-Build quality is legit.
-Debloated? Lol not really. There's still a ton of junk.
-Fingerprint sensor is not 100%, but it was like 90%.
-Screen is legit as hell.
-I would love to give a battery impression, but it is way too early to do that.
-Speakers are pretty loud. Not boomsound obviously, but it is a huge bump from the rear ones.
-Software is much more manageable. Settings is very easy to navigate.

Will report back with more stuff if i find out.

Dat Sammy screen.

Major step in the right direction. What I really want them to do in the future is at least disable the bloat by default. A lot of people just want a simple phone without the gimmicks, and power users could still go in and enable their favorite extras.
If they could offer a Nexus-like experience, but with their Samsung twist and style, that would be a game changer.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dat Sammy screen.

Major step in the right direction. What I really want them to do in the future is at least disable the bloat by default. A lot of people just want a simple phone without the gimmicks, and power users could still go in and enable their favorite extras.
If they could offer a Nexus-like experience, but with their Samsung twist and style, that would be a game changer.

They'd rather people use their software, and power users know how to disable it.

Ooh Z3 Lollipop looks almost as good as stock. With the Now Launcher its pretty close. Love it.

And I dont know if it was an Play Music update, or Sony customisation, but I do have a "Previous" button now for music tracks!

Now, the notifications are actually more awesome than on KitKat.

Hasney

Ooh Z3 Lollipop looks almost as good as stock. With the Now Launcher its pretty close. Love it.

And I dont know if it was an Play Music update, or Sony customisation, but I do have a "Previous" button now for music tracks!

Now, the notifications are actually more awesome than on KitKat.

That back button was a Play Music update. Now I just need a seek bar back.

teiresias

Does anyone know a good dice poker game on android?

I loved the old MotionX Poker on my old original iPhone, but I don't think that's even supported on iOS anymore either, so I'd appreciate if anyone had any suggested options on Android since I suddenly got an itch to play such a game again.

Sid

So am about to start downloading the Lollipop update on my Note 4 right now,should I factory reset it before or after it updates?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there any way to hide the soft keys? Just trying out cook/serve/delicious and some of the icons are right next to the back and task switcher buttons so I,lol inevitably hit them by accident. Are all games like this? (Not really used an android phone for more than apps before, always played on my iPad)

Is there any way to hide the soft keys? Just trying out cook/serve/delicious and some of the icons are right next to the back and task switcher buttons so I,lol inevitably hit them by accident. Are all games like this? (Not really used an android phone for more than apps before, always played on my iPad)

root. or complain at the app dev.

manfestival

I am sitting here in so much anticipation for my new phone that I have become completely unproductive.... can this work day just end?

I keep thinking that this year, I'll upgrade from my HTC One (M7) to a Chinese phablet--something from Xiaomi or Meizu or something. But it seems like those phones don't really get custom ROM support on XDA, so I'd be stuck with their OS? And also they tend to not support US LTE bands?

I guess either wait for the One Plus Two (as the OPO has an active forum on XDA), or a Note5 or something.

Sid

Lollipop TouchWiz looks pretty good,combined with the Nova launcher as well as the Google Keyboard it got pretty awesome

Aticos

I have z3 compact unlocked (UK) but I haven't received lollipop update, then again I am not in UK at the moment so that might be stopping it.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm not a case person and I've been team naked since day 1 on my Note 4, but the official OEM case was on sale and I grabbed it. It's really nice. Doesn't add any bulk and best of all, it protects the camera bump. Think I'll keep it on. And the back of it still looks very slick. For $10 I won't complain.

I am very curious to know how battery life compares to Moto X 13/14 and Nexus 5.
nexus 5 and moto x 2014 are shit tier batteries. If the S6 has worse battery than the S5 which had a pretty decent one, I'd say the S6 battery is average whereas the Moto X 2014 is mediocre to bad and nex5 is just bad.

Husker86

nexus 5 and moto x 2014 are shit tier batteries. If the S6 has worse battery than the S5 which had a pretty decent one, I'd say the S6 battery is average whereas the Moto X 2014 is mediocre to bad and nex5 is just bad.

So if a Nexus 5 lasts me through the day, the S6 is gonna be godly?

So if a Nexus 5 lasts me through the day, the S6 is gonna be godly?
pretty much

where'd you see this? they were soak testing 5.0.1 for the X 2 weeks ago...
UQLZ7B2.png

Theres a guy on Android Central saying his s6 battery life has been very similar to the 2014 Moto X. 2.5 hours sot.

CronoShot

Well my excitement for my S6 Edge has tapered off a bit. And by that I mean I'm furious.

A day or so after I got my S6 Edge I noticed a scratch on the upper right bezel. Not a huge deal, but a little worrying after only a day of use. Then I held the phone up to the light to see if there was more, and lo and behold, there's a ton of small, hairline scratches on it.

So I called T-Mobile about it, and they sent me out a replacement, which arrived today. I looked at the replacement, and sure enough, it's scratched even worse than the first one.

Turns out, there's a thread on XDA full of people (including Erica Griffin) complaining about the very same thing. In fact, I've yet to see a picture of one that doesn't have the same problem. It must be something in the manufacturing process, but I really don't know.

And I just got off the phone with T-Mobile to try and get an exchange for a regular S6 (since it doesn't seem to have the same problem) but I'm being told that I have to ship back the other two phones, wait 7-10 business days for them to leave my account, and then and only then can I order the regular S6.

I guess in short, if you're deciding between the S6 and S6 Edge, go with the S6.

A picture that I took of mine:

Gambit61

GG if that's the case lol. I guess it depends on usage and what kind of apps you use but with that size battery and that resolution I expect only average or less for the s6.

awww shit was that a shot at me in the other thread lol, if you even saw that.

2.5? Wow that's terrible. I can't believe the S6 is that bad.

I've been reading the XDA forum and people are saying there's some high Cell Standby battery drain bug. Hopefully it gets cleared up with launch patches. Some other people might have decent battery life if there's any truth to these screenshots lol.

Top Bottom