• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

longdi

Banned
S6/6E are pretty nice phones after playing with them. Not sure if it is due to Lolipop, but the UI is buttery smooth compared to Note4. It is like watching YT in 60fps. With Note4 and Z2, i had to turn off windows and transition animations to avoid the random jerkiness, but with S6/6E, turning those dev options off/on, there is virtually no difference in quickness of the UI.

But I wont consider the 6E. It looks really really nice but practical use is not good, something feels off with the tapered edges when swiping. 6E buyers, you really need to trial use it and not let the prettiness fool you.

S6/6E are pretty nice phones after playing with them. Not sure if it is due to Lolipop, but the UI is buttery smooth compared to Note4. It is like watching YT in 60fps.

But I wont consider the 6E. It looks really really nice but practical use is not good, something feels off with the tapered edges when swiping. 6E buyers, you really need to trial use it and not let the prettiness fool you.

For me, it was the way that text looks weird as it nears the edge.

This concerned me as well when I tried it. Not sure if it's a deal killer yet but it did stand out.

I spend a good deal of time reading GAF and Kindle books on mobile devices, and it was just distracting enough that it made me go with the regular version. I'll put that extra $100 towards more on board storage.

I spend a good deal of time reading GAF and Kindle books on mobile devices, and it was just distracting enough that it made me go with the regular version. I'll put that extra $100 towards more on board storage.
Good to know. I didn't think about reading GAF at the time but was going to when I try it out again. If that bugs me, I'll probably skip it. I still wish someone was allowing you to preorder the 128 gig version.

MercuryLS

Banned
S6/6E are pretty nice phones after playing with them. Not sure if it is due to Lolipop, but the UI is buttery smooth compared to Note4. It is like watching YT in 60fps. With Note4 and Z2, i had to turn off windows and transition animations to avoid the random jerkiness, but with S6/6E, turning those dev options off/on, there is virtually no difference in quickness of the UI.

Regular S6 stays winning.

manfestival

Bringing back my question earlier. Is there any way aside from adding a case to avoid making the s6 super dirty?

Also why is so much of the RAM taken up by default... I mean there is plenty left but this concerns me going into the future a little bit. Maybe I have too much running and need to clean it out...

MercuryLS

Banned
For the people that have an S6, is there a way to switch between the two most recent apps easily? I like that with the OPO if I hit the home button twice it toggles between the apps.

manfestival

For the people that have an S6, is there a way to switch between the two most recent apps easily? I like that with the OPO if I hit the home button twice it toggles between the apps.

There may be a way but I am only seeing the lollipop thing of hitting the button and it shows all of your active apps. It is pretty fast going in between so it's not really a big issue so far to me.

MercuryLS

Banned
There may be a way but I am only seeing the lollipop thing of hitting the button and it shows all of your active apps. It is pretty fast going in between so it's not really a big issue so far to me.

It would be cool if Samsung added that feature when you double tap (not press) the home button like Apple did for reachability. It's not a big deal, but it's more a nice to have.

Which cases?

THIS
cLSyWlz.jpg

and

THIS

Gambit61

Looks like the newer updates fixed the standby bug. The person that took the screenshots recommends a factory reset after updating.

E8woCTQ.png
7qhDP4O.png

So apparently Samsung won the contract back to supply the next gen iphone with A9s. That's huge for them. If the S6 causes a bounce back too they could have a craycray year.

Yup

Yeah. His usage looks like it matches mine so the battery should be pretty good for me. Currently at 41%, 16h30m on battery with 2h55m SoT on my Verizon Note II.

T-Mobile S6

I dont care if the screen and cpu is more efficient. There is no way the s6 gets near as good of battery life as your note 2 unless your note 2 battery is bad due to age. The s6 has a way smaller battery and is pushing four times as many pixels.

SOT is a decent way to compare but is still not that acurate. He could have been doing very light workload with the screen completely dim. That would be nothing like playing a game or using chrome at full brightness.

Rootbeer

Banned
Google Wallet updated today and now it no longer includes package tracking. I liked that featured and was hoping they'd develop it further because it automatically picked up on shipped items that had tracking information e-mailed to you.

:(

packages still show up in google now but if you accidentally dismiss them there's no way to look at it again, or is there?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Has anyone had issues with their phone going into priority mode on its own? My nexus 4 did it a couple of times, and my Z3 did it this morning. I suppose I could be accidentally turning it on manually, but don't you need to hit the volume button and then tap the screen? Sounds difficult to do accidentally.

Google Wallet updated today and now it no longer includes package tracking. I liked that featured and was hoping they'd develop it further because it automatically picked up on shipped items that had tracking information e-mailed to you.

:(

packages still show up in google now but if you accidentally dismiss them there's no way to look at it again, or is there?
You can try saying "Where's my package?", "Show me my order." or almost anything close to these and Google Now will show you your most recent orders.

You can also ask questions like "Where's my Amazon package?" or "Where's my xyz company package?" if you want to be more specific and it will show only your most recent orders from the specified business.

I think trusted places, apart from almost never working, is a super big battery hog. Since it doesnt often find my trusted place even when I am there all day long it is probably constantly checking.

Or its lollipop generally, as my Z3 is using more juice in standy. I dont have any rogue apps apart from Android Operating System version 5.0.2.

On the bright side it does actually feel faster than Kitkat.

reKon

Banned
I think trusted places, apart from almost never working, is a super big battery hog. Since it doesnt often find my trusted place even when I am there all day long it is probably constantly checking.

Or its lollipop generally, as my Z3 is using more juice in standy. I dont have any rogue apps apart from Android Operating System version 5.0.2.

If battery is going to be worse, I may not want not upgrade to Lollipop yet..

i thought it only checked when you attempted to use your phone?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Trusted places desperately needs a "trusted wifi" instead. Stop eating up GPS figuring out if I'm at work or home, I'm always on wifi at each place.

oh, and Oxygen is out today...you have to manually flash it...amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn4hHhIHLxk

I didn't think it used GPS,nit uses the same system as 'only turn wifi on when I'm near a saved hotspot' which uses cell tower triangulation to estimate your location? I have trusted places on and I'm not seeing any GPS use - is there a way to check?

Saiyan-Rox

I knew oxygen OS wouldn't launch with as much features as people expected. Sure PA are working on it but they came in late so no way they could work magic that quickly.

It is strange it requires a manual flash but I guess that's to make sure nothing goes wrong with OTA

Top Bottom