• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

MercuryLS

Banned
I was always going to go with the regular S6, its $100 cheaper and there are zero compromises. Sucks about the screen being all scratched up.

ukas

I've been reading the XDA forum and people are saying there's some high Cell Standby battery drain bug. Hopefully it gets cleared up with launch patches. Some other people might have decent battery life if there's any truth to these screenshots lol.

I was about to post the same thing. Hopefully this is just a bug.

injurai

Banned
I'd totally jump for the s6 if it wasn't for that lack of sd card. I was completely planning on buying it too.

What else is forthcoming that we've yet to hear about?

LG G4
Moto X (2015)

anything else?

MercuryLS

Banned
htc seems to have solved the issue for the m9. inb4 lower benchmarks which don't make a noticable difference in real world use.

Guess we'll see.

With the throttling on the 810, doesn't it make it kinda a lame jump over the 801 in the M8. What's the point of the M9 really? The camera is bad, the battery life is worse, the screen is worse.

With the throttling on the 810, doesn't it make it kinda a lame jump over the 801 in the M8. What's the point of the M9 really? The camera is bad, the battery life is worse, the screen is worse.
well im not saying the m9 isn't a bad phone I'm just saying the 810 isn't really an issue.

I'd totally jump for the s6 if it wasn't for that lack of sd card. I was completely planning on buying it too.

What else is forthcoming that we've yet to hear about?

LG G4
Moto X (2015)

anything else?
G4/G4 Note
Moto X 2015
Nexus phone 2015
OnePlus 2

I think those are the big ones left.

MercuryLS

Banned
well im not saying the m9 isn't a bad phone I'm just saying the 810 isn't really an issue.

G4/G4 Note
Moto X 2015
Nexus phone 2015
OnePlus 2

I think those are the big ones left.

It is an issue if you have to throttle it to keep the phone from overheating or becoming uncomfortably hot or burning through the battery. The advantages of the 810 seem to disappear due to the throttling, making the new SOC kinda useless outside of the move to 64-bit.

You forgot the Note 5 and the Xperia Zzzzzzzzzzz4
Ah yes, easy to forget sony but yeah the note 5. Forgot about that.

It is an issue if you have to throttle it to keep the phone from overheating or becoming uncomfortably hot or burning through the battery. The advantages of the 810 seem to disappear due to the throttling, making the new SOC kinda useless outside of the move to 64-bit.
810 has better graphics, there's that :p

one of these has to deliver right? although being on verizon I don't feel so good about my odds.

m9 is probably my current fall back, but I'm not to sure I like the m9's form factor. Would never use the boom speakers.

If you're on Verizon you should have already picked up a Droid Turbo. No excuse.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Well my excitement for my S6 Edge has tapered off a bit. And by that I mean I'm furious.

A day or so after I got my S6 Edge I noticed a scratch on the upper right bezel. Not a huge deal, but a little worrying after only a day of use. Then I held the phone up to the light to see if there was more, and lo and behold, there's a ton of small, hairline scratches on it.

So I called T-Mobile about it, and they sent me out a replacement, which arrived today. I looked at the replacement, and sure enough, it's scratched even worse than the first one.

Turns out, there's a thread on XDA full of people (including Erica Griffin) complaining about the very same thing. In fact, I've yet to see a picture of one that doesn't have the same problem. It must be something in the manufacturing process, but I really don't know.

And I just got off the phone with T-Mobile to try and get an exchange for a regular S6 (since it doesn't seem to have the same problem) but I'm being told that I have to ship back the other two phones, wait 7-10 business days for them to leave my account, and then and only then can I order the regular S6.

I guess in short, if you're deciding between the S6 and S6 Edge, go with the S6.

A picture that I took of mine:

Well there are actually a lot of people in that thread saying that they have no scratches whatsoever. Someone even went to a Best Buy and compared the store models to his own(which has scratches) and found that neither of the three store models had scratches.

Sucks that yours has scratches, I would definitely replace it.

Would still take the Edge over regular any day of the week though, scratches or not.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Would still take the Edge over regular any day of the week though, scratches or not.
Agreed. Scratches are awful but if it's between that or using an old fashioned phone, my decision is obvious.

Mascot

If my S6E turns up scratched then I'll keep asking for new ones. The one I played with last weekend had no scratches whatsoever.

Is everyone in this thread a fucking character?
Xfone is da best! Omg, Nexus 6 so AWESOME! Every phone needs EDGES! criticism is not allowed and you're wrong *insert more irrational asshole responses*!

It's really annoying and makes it feel like proper discussions are impossible in here. It stopped being funny a long, long time ago and adds absolutely nothing to the community.

Milchjon

Xfone is da best! Omg, Nexus 6 so AWESOME! Every phone needs EDGES! criticism is not allowed and you're wrong *insert more irrational asshole responses*!

It's really annoying and makes it feel like proper discussions are impossible in here. It stopped being funny a long, long time ago and adds absolutely nothing to the community.

Happy Easter, brot!

Wreav

Banned

Brot, you're Galaxy Edgy as fuck.

manfestival

never had a phone like this where it gets so smudgy so fast. Any advice on how to clean it and make it look less smudgy without adding extra padding?

Philippo

'Sup guys, my family gave me a Samsung Core 2 (not that better than my iPhone 4 tbh, but at least it's new).

I'd like some few tips on reccomended apps (mind that i barely use anything more than web, facebook, skype and whatsapp), best way to move contacts/music/other datas from iOS to Android, and whatever might be useful.

Reasonably priced sub 10" Android Tablet with good battery life. What's out there that fits the bill? In an ideal world the Z3 8" would be £199 but sadly, it's not.

Off to Florida in 2mths, I need something that will last the plane journey, my LG 8.3 just isnt up for the job.

Ugh. Bendgate was about it bending in the pocket. The edge will obviously not hold up to the above test - you can't really have glass as structure.

Where's the test of the regular s6?

The point being that it took 110 pounds of pressure for the iPhone to bend in a bend test, the same number as the S6 edge. So in theory they could be looking at an issue of pocket bends since it takes the same amount of pressure as a 6 Plus to produce a bend.

manfestival

The point being that it took 110 pounds of pressure for the iPhone to bend in a bend test, the same number as the S6 edge. So in theory they could be looking at an issue of pocket bends since it takes the same amount of pressure as a 6 Plus to produce a bend.

Bending isn't the entire issue. It is about the end result and how the product recovers

NH Apache

Banned

No, there was a heat component as well (the body heat contributed). Obviously, now it is a wait and see moment. I'll be a bit surprised if we start to see this happen in the field.

But putting these phone in a machine with the ends being held at an inconsistent lengths does not necessarily equate to having the same breaking force-moment. Source: I do this for a living with ships.

Talon

This bending shit is hilarious considering that at the press conference, the PM for Mobile literally said, "We used the strongest materials, so it won't bend!"

lol okay.

Groof

this is why it's not worth trying anymore. being a dick is analogous to being "hip" in this thread so i'm not confident we'll be having any proper discussions in the near future.

Hasney

AMERICANS

take advantage of the slumping Euro and get an M9 for $501.88 (775€)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAILY-DEAL-...50edc1&pid=100013&rk=5&rkt=24&sd=251902841942

CM-Punk-laughing-at-Stephanie.gif

Top Bottom