• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

3phemeral

just trying to bring some positivity in between all of this shitposting we've been getting too much of lately. this thread is seriously the most depressing shit.

It's greatly appreciated. :)

fwX8W6

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There is nothing scientific about a drop test. It's just luck. I remember dropping Nokia phones into pavement at awkward angles and nothing happening, then the silliest little drop would shatter the screen. It could be a little rock on the floor you don't see, a slight angle shift before it hits the ground, or the earth's position relative to Neptune. Who knows, but drop tests are worthless. That said, Samsung has a reputation for phones that can take a beating, so no surprise that the s6 is durable, but at the same time all manufacturers do their own reliability tests as well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There is nothing scientific about a drop test. It's just luck. I remember dropping Nokia phones into pavement at awkward angles and nothing happening, then the silliest little drop would shatter the screen. It could be a little rock on the floor you don't see, a slight angle shift before it hits the ground, or the earth's position relative to Neptune. Who knows, but drop tests are worthless. That said, Samsung has a reputation for phones that can take a beating, so no surprise that the s6 is durable, but at the same time all manufacturers do their own reliability tests as well.

This is the best post in this thread on the matter. I approve of this message.

manfestival

for some reason I feel the regular s6 wont fare as well as the edge in these drop tests but I havent exactly looked for drop tests

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah but just an solid z4 is boring, Sony is just bland and boring.

LG, I honestly dont see them have it in them to go a step further.

What would ve revolutionary is a Moto X with an decent battery.

Note 5 will save the day

So waterproof, dust proof, two day battery and great camera is boring? I guess somebody better contact Sony and get them to change the case just because.

This is what I often find annoying about phone GAF (prevalent in the windows phone thread too) - people complain about no new shiny, even when the current shiny is just fine. The lumia 930 was (is) a great phone, but because there is no new 'flahship' everyone is shitting on MS. Ignoring how the 930 still holds up fantastically well (ignoring apps, just talking about the hardware). The Xperia Z's are good phones, but unless they make it look completely different to the Z2/3 it is dull.

At some point the bells and whistles are going to start tailing off and then what will people do? Porsche 911's barely change with each new model but people still buy them. Apple often doesn't change the appearance fundamentally for several years, yet their releases are still big news. people need to be less hung up about companies throwing everything and the kitchen sink at every model refresh.

Samsung phones could take a beating when they were plastic, now they are metal and glass so people shouldn't be surprised they are still as durable as ever.

then let's try to be hopeful, while keeping expectations low. htc messed up bad, but samsung took a huge step forward. they responded to criticism when everyone thought they wouldn't. the s6 has its issues but overall it's a step in the right direction.

exactly <3 :')

Yes absolutely. I believe the Note 5 will hit a home run. I am actually happy that Samsung is doing what they are doing. I will probably switch my Z3 for a Note 5 or 4 when the 5 hits.

So waterproof, dust proof, two day battery and great camera is boring? I guess somebody better contact Sony and get them to change the case just because.
Maybe its because I haven an Z3 and if they just release an Z3.1 masked as a Z4, I find that totally uninteresting and boring. So does the rest of the world apparently, as in if nobody is buying your flagships with the current specs and features right now, why bother with another "spec upgrade". Its not like people will suddenly say "oh the Z4 has 4gb ram now, now I will definitely buy an Xperia phone"

And then Sony will moan and cry how the Xperia business is not doing well.

Sony's all about dat battery life.

They're the most utilitarian of all the OEMs, but I like it for that. I

Now if only they could update their damn phones faster...

I'd love a cheaper 1080p model with the same battery. It would be interesting to see if it lasts longer. No mention of wireless charging is concerning, though.

Well, the leaks imply they're forfeiting their magnetic ports for flapless USB.

Pachimari

I'm not sold on wireless charging. My LG G3 seems to charge very slowly with this Choetech charger. And it have to lie on there precisely or else it'll tell me it's charging slowly.

I also tried the S6 Edge for the first time yesterday, and it were so cool. I love that curved screen and it makes the whole experience that much more pleasant.

If I were to change out my LG G3, I would be looking at the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, Sony Xperia Z4 Compact or the LG G4.

Has it been discussed yet that T-Mobile discontinued the Z3 only 6 months after releasing it and Sony apparently laid off 20% of its management team.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes absolutely. I believe the Note 5 will hit a home run. I am actually happy that Samsung is doing what they are doing. I will probably switch my Z3 for a Note 5 or 4 when the 5 hits.

Maybe its because I haven an Z3 and if they just release an Z3.1 masked as a Z4, I find that totally uninteresting and boring. So does the rest of the world apparently, as in if nobody is buying your flagships with the current specs and features right now, why bother with another "spec upgrade". Its not like people will suddenly say "oh the Z4 has 4gb ram now, now I will definitely buy an Xperia phone"

And then Sony will moan and cry how the Xperia business is not doing well.

Fair enough for you, but most people aren't looking to upgrade if they just got a Z3. On an average 2 year contract the Z4 would be for people that are coming from the original Z1 or Galaxy S4's etc. from that perspective it is a nice upgrade.

Talon

Has it been discussed yet that T-Mobile discontinued the Z3 only 6 months after releasing it and Sony apparently laid off 20% of its management team.

Sony has taken 4200 staff out of mgmt positions. Mgmt cut by half, now 20% of staff. Half of those remaining positions filled with new ppl.
from Corbin.
"We had a meeting with all of our employees where the CEO (Kazuo Hirai) presented the structural changes from April 1st," Sony Mobile's chief executive in Sweden, Bengt Arne Molin, told reporters at a press conference on Monday afternoon.

"It has to be done even though it is painful and difficult for many to accept. But we will still be among the largest employers in the region and one of Sweden's leading hi-tech companies."

"Sony's future is at stake, we need to be profitable over the longer term," he added.

The 2,200 people working at the facility in Lund, including 400 consultants, will now be cut to 1,200.

"The decision was not altogether surprising," employee Bitte Hansson said to regional daily Sydsvenskan earlier on Monday.

Seved Andersson, vice chairman for engineers' union Sveriges Ingenjörer, told Swedish news agency TT that silence fell in the room when the layoffs were announced.
zomg can clarify, but I believe they stated during the last quarterly results that they were looking to reduce overall headcount by 2000~.

Do we know who's going to buy the Xperia business yet?

I'm not sold on wireless charging. My LG G3 seems to charge very slowly with this Choetech charger. And it have to lie on there precisely or else it'll tell me it's charging slowly.

I also tried the S6 Edge for the first time yesterday, and it were so cool. I love that curved screen and it makes the whole experience that much more pleasant.

If I were to change out my LG G3, I would be looking at the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, Sony Xperia Z4 Compact or the LG G4.

That's why I don't like the small charging plates. I have two of these

qi-wireless-charger-nexus4.jpg

and while they're not super stylish or nice to look at, their size make sure that you can't really misplace the phone. It's either over or below the LED (depending on the plate). The charging speed also depends on your wall charger. Wireless charging is inefficient, compared to the straight USB cable, so it's recommended to use a charger with a higher amperage.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LG Showed off their new UX 2.0 or 4.0 or whatever they're calling it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXjlzW2P-jA

I'm not sure what's different? Looks the same to me.

Eh, barely showed off the UI. It talked more about the features they're adding/fixing.

I think Pyro's right. It very much looks like the G3 UI post Lollipop update.

Not that it's a bad thing mind you. I find the new Lollipop LG UI to be perfectly fine to be quiet honest.

I'd imagine because nobody is buying it. I have not seen one in a TMobile store for some time.

The T-Mobile by me still has a kiosk designed for it. They are probably going to remove it soon though.

The M9's camera is universally known at this point to be shitty. Seeing some of the camera comparisons and video comparisons, it is awfully. Auto focus issues, lack of OIS, ton of digital noise, it is a fucking disaster.

The G2 UI was meh, but they had custom themes in the UI. No idea why they removed it on the G3. That pissed me off.

Drifters

I've been saying that these OEMs need to release their skins via the play store and leave the core os the fuck alone. Hopefully Android 6 solves this.

I've been saying that these OEMs need to release their skins via the play store and leave the core os the fuck alone. Hopefully Android 6 solves this.

I wish touchwiz and all that was a pre-installed launcher rather than an OS overhaul. Would be cool.

At the same time though it would mean lots of shitty cameras because I don't think google's processing software is good at all. Explains why Moto/Nexus phone have subpar cameras.

But yeah ideally google fixes all that and skins could be launchers. Only if.

Groof

Or we get a native themer. All OEM skins come as the default theme, but changeable to the stock theme. It would solve a lot of headaches.

Or we get a native themer. All OEM skins come as the default theme, but changeable to the stock theme. It would solve a lot of headaches.

There's some companies who do this already, but the problem is that they don't go the extra mile. Even when there's a stock-theme, it doesn't change the OEM modifications made to the notification panel, the OEM-altered apps, etc.

Groof

There's some companies who do this already, but the problem is that they don't go the extra mile. Even when there's a stock-theme, it doesn't change the OEM modifications made to the notification panel, the OEM-altered apps, etc.

That's what I mean by a native one. Already built-in and and it only changes colours and iconography or whatever else they want to support.

Fair enough for you, but most people aren't looking to upgrade if they just got a Z3. On an average 2 year contract the Z4 would be for people that are coming from the original Z1 or Galaxy S4's etc. from that perspective it is a nice upgrade.

Yes obviously. I was just going from "our" perspective, since most people here had some sort of flagship or had experience with flagships.

Or maybe google can make a way that it's easy to install stock android on any device without rooting for those who want to go out of their way to do it.

I guess it's hard given all the different internals/drivers/etc...too much segmentation.

Drifters

The fact that they opened the notification shade api on lolli gives me hope they address this. Right now Android is a hardware problem not s software problem.l

kIdMuScLe

Lol I'm done with Sony. After finding out that t-mobile dropped Xperia z3 I wonder how long till we get lollipop. Next phone I'm getting is galaxy edge. #teamEDGE #comingbackhome #touchwiz#1

Lol I'm done with Sony. After finding out that t-mobile dropped Xperia z3 I wonder how long till we get lollipop. Next phone I'm getting is galaxy edge. #teamEDGE #comingbackhome #touchwiz#1
Don't they sell Xperia off their website and Sony stores? I don't see any reason why you have to wait for T-Mobile, unless they have some exclusive model.

manfestival

my replacement galaxy s6 awaits at my parents house.... must... leave.. work... early...

also before my s6 died I did a speed test with a whopping 60Mbps down!

Top Bottom