• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

its time to join the Samsung master race

not gonna lie if the battery was better I'd 100% consider selling my iphone 6 and doing the early upgrade. Not a big fan of that and the glass (though more premium is better).

Don't know what I'm going to do if the oneplus2/moto x/nexus phone disappoint.

iPhone 6s, duh. With the new camera, it's gonna be godtier.

I'm sure the hardware will be beast but I get bored of software too fast. It's a curse. I get boredof ios then I get android then I get bored of android so I go back to ios. Repeat every year (sometimes multiple times in one year).

manfestival

not gonna lie if the battery was better I'd 100% consider selling my iphone 6 and doing the early upgrade. Not a big fan of that and the glass (though more premium is better).

I thought about going with one of those more budget friendly options but I said yolo and went for the s6. For once, I feel like I will have a phone that is with the times aside from the m7. Part of me feels like I would feel little desire to upgrade if I still had it

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm sure the hardware will be beast but I get bored of software too fast. It's a curse. I get boredof ios then I get android then I get bored of android so I go back to ios. Repeat every year (sometimes multiple times in one year).

You may have a problem, lol. My cousin is like you, he owns a phone for like 2-3 months and constantly changes them and goes between Android and iOS at least once a year.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been saying that these OEMs need to release their skins via the play store and leave the core os the fuck alone. Hopefully Android 6 solves this.
No one cares about this except for the people who care about sd cards and removable batteries.

manfestival

How did your Galaxy S6 die?

I suspect it is battery related but long story short.... It just stopped working completely.

I dont think I have had a device actually do that before. It was around 43% battery life as I watched the final half of big hero 6. I went to turn on the phone and no reaction. Held the power button for like 2 minutes and nothing. I threw it on the charger and no sign of life. It will not show any lights and will not charge. Phone had 0 contact with water and no drops.

Talon

Both iOS9 and Android 6 have a lot of technical debt to address. Don't expect anything major out of each platform this year.
I suspect it is battery related but long story short.... It just stopped working completely.

I dont think I have had a device actually do that before. It was around 43% battery life as I watched the final half of big hero 6. I went to turn on the phone and no reaction. Held the power button for like 2 minutes and nothing. I threw it on the charger and no sign of life. It will not show any lights and will not charge. Phone had 0 contact with water and no drops.
Weird. Almost sounds like the device lost connection to any and all power - both battery and the port.

manfestival

Both iOS9 and Android 6 have a lot of technical debt to address. Don't expect anything major out of each platform this year.

Weird. Almost sounds like the device lost connection to any and all power - both battery and the port.

Another side note is that I only charged the phone twice(technically 3 times because the battery life was piss poor on the second day) and each of those charges took me over 5 hours to achieve 100% battery life. This was using the charger that came with the phone also.

iOS always feel so claustrophobic on a phone. Android feels spacious in comparison, if that makes sense.

Edit: Side note iOS isn't so bad on a tablet though.

Groof

Another side note is that I only charged the phone twice(technically 3 times because the battery life was piss poor on the second day) and each of those charges took me over 5 hours to achieve 100% battery life. This was using the charger that came with the phone also.

Might have been a dud battery then. Hope you have better luck with the new one!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
iOS always feel so claustrophobic on a phone. Android feels spacious in comparison, if that makes sense.

Edit: Side note iOS isn't so bad on a tablet though.

iOS feels really outdated to me. Whenever I use my work iPhone, it feels like I've stepped back in time to 2007.

I have a Nexus 6 dummy model that I'd be glad to send to anyone who is interested in seeing how it would work for them in daily life. just pay for postage and it's yours. PM me.

Wreav

Banned
iOS feels really outdated to me. Whenever I use my work iPhone, it feels like I've stepped back in time to 2007.

Such a weird opinion that so many people seem to have. Yes, the homescreen feels needlessly rigid and unchanged, but nothing else in the core OS experience comes off that way to me.

Talon

oh god. I had a lumia 520 as a backup phone for a while. Windows phone....not my thing.
Oh man, I had a 635 briefly. That was...a challenge.

I don't see how they can possibly hope to compete with Mobile IE. The fact that Project Spartan is not webkit-based isn't heartening.

Oh man, I had a 635 briefly. That was...a challenge.

I don't see how they can possibly hope to compete with Mobile IE. The fact that Project Spartan is not webkit-based isn't heartening.

Not that it should matter. IE supports HTML5, something that is an actual Web standard, unlike webkit. And funnily enough, most websites worked just fine, after Microsoft changed the User Agent to something iOS. In fact, it worked so good, that websites had little pop ups and banners that offered the iOS app.

blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/07/31/the-mobile-web-should-just-work-for-everyone.aspx

You should get the Note 5, join me as we upgrade to phones the size of our laptops!

Talon

Not that it should matter. IE supports HTML5, something that is an actual Web standard, unlike webkit. And funnily enough, most websites worked just fine, after Microsoft changed the User Agent to something iOS. In fact, it worked so good, that websites had little pop ups and banners that offered the iOS app.

blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/07/31/the-mobile-web-should-just-work-for-everyone.aspx
A) Calling on the standards card for a Microsoft product is hilarious. When Webkit has literally the browsing market - especially the mobile browsing market - anything else is irrelevant.
B) Mobile IE performs like hot garbage compared to Mobile Safari. I will say nothing about Chrome (beta) here.

After factory reseting and learning that a Volte bug is causing a drain on Tmo S6 models and then turning it off, I will probably get around 4.5-5 hours of SoT as well as around 16 or so hours of battery time.

It's not Apple's fault that websites design for Webkit now since something like 75-90% of the world is on a Webkit-based browser on PCs, laptops, tablets, and phones. MS refuses to use Webkit instead of Trident, that's on them and not the world. MS still thinks it's 2002 and they can dictate to the world what websites can support, well it's not anymore and thank God for that.

I don't honestly think Nadella cares that much about Windows Phone, he's a lot smarter than Ballmer was and doesn't cling to old mistakes the way Ballmer did. Ballmer executed the acquistion of the ruins of Nokia and then walked away, Nadella is like I don't want this crap and maybe if I ignore it long enough it will go away.

MercuryLS

Banned
Lol I refuse it. Even if all flagships became huge and only normal sized phones were low end, I'd go low.

Fight the powa.

Damn right, I've had this oneplus one for a few months now and I still can't stand the size of it. Its just way too cumbersome to use, 5ish inch is my max.

NotBacon

I'm not sold on wireless charging. My LG G3 seems to charge very slowly with this Choetech charger. And it have to lie on there precisely or else it'll tell me it's charging slowly.

The "slow charging" thing seems to be a common LG thing in my experience. But anyways, make sure your wall adapter supplying your charging pad is a good one.

I tried the one that came with the Choetech a few times then threw it into the garbage. Then I got one of these. Almost double the amperage, and it shows.

hey, remember when they actually did have OEM devices with stock Android and nobody bought them?!?

Because some imbeciles made them exclusively off-contract and only through GPS.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Whats the best Android smartwatch these days?
I like my G watch R. I borrowed a moto360 for a couple of weeks before that and although it was nice, it didn't feel like a real watch - the lack of lugs and the way the strap just comes straight out of the face was odd.

It also has good battery life - couple of days so I don't have to be too fussy about charging.

Not tried any of the rectangular ones though.

A) Calling on the standards card for a Microsoft product is hilarious. When Webkit has literally the browsing market - especially the mobile browsing market - anything else is irrelevant.
B) Mobile IE performs like hot garbage compared to Mobile Safari. I will say nothing about Chrome (beta) here.

I know it is. That doesn't make the point any less valid. All I said was that it shouldn't matter, not that it doesn't matter. Also, even though it is not the same situation, I'm sure people said the same about IE back then. WebKit is as much as a web standard as IE6 was back then.

As for speed, I have no experience with a new flagship Lumia, but I doubt that speed is an issue outside of benchmarks.

Here's a speed comparison between the 1520 and iPhone 6 Plus.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h9UX3foc8Gw

I stopped after 5 minutes, because it looked pretty even. The pages look good as well. Maybe it gets much worse later on, I don't know.

I'm not sure how you'd compare a Snapdragon 400 device like the 635 or 830 with an iPhone, though. Perhaps with Safari on an iPhone 4S? I have no idea how comparable the SoCs are.

Either way, I guess there's a good reason why Microsoft is dropping the IE name.

MercuryLS

Banned
Maybe all's not lost for Samsung fans that want waterproofing and an SD card slot (and longer battery life):

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s6-active-bluetooth-certification-598819/

From older reports, we believe the Galaxy S6 Active will feature specifications that are similar to the Galaxy S6 (5.1-inch screen, Exynos 7420, 3GB of RAM) but with a larger 3,500 mAh battery and a microSD slot. Of course, some level of water resistance and ruggedness is to be expected, just like on the S5 Active and S5 Sport from last year.

Not 100% confirmed though.

MercuryLS

Banned
Maybe the Note 5 will have the microSD then. One can only hope.

Since that's their pro model, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it in. Although you never know, Sammy's going to make a lot of money from people going with the 64/128gb models. That might push them to kill SD on the Note too.

Top Bottom