• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Guys, Android is TERRIBLE.

I made a bold move from iPhone to Android, and I completely regret it

"But eventually I realized what so many have found out: Android is a hot mess.

It doesn't seem to have native support for anything. My Spotify app doesn't seamlessly work within Android's confines, which make quickly stopping and starting music a pain. Most third-party headphones also don't work very well with the operating system. They may play and pause music, but they're mostly unreliable and lack features.

The phone interface is completely clunky. Calling somebody takes four or five clicks rather than the one or two of iOS, and pictures never show up and sync easily with Facebook.

Apps are an utter disaster. Nearly every iOS version of an app looks slicker and operates better than its Android counterpart. Good luck finding a good Twitter app because the official one is a pain, and all the other options are second rate compared to the amazing Tweetbot app I swore by on iOS.

Messaging is horrendous. I became disgusted with Samsung's awful built-in messaging app pretty early on and downloaded an app called "Textra" to manage texts. (As I said, everything can be substituted and modified in Android). This makes the experience better, but it's still far inferior to iOS messaging.

Notifications are the worst. They barely exist on Android, or at least I feel that way. I'm constantly missing texts, phone calls, news alerts, you name it. Once again, I had to download a third-party notification plug-in called "Heads Up," to fix this problem. Now I get Google card-like popups when a notification comes down, and I miss a lot fewer. This is not, however, ideal. It's a frustrating solution to a frustrating problem.

Google did make notifications better in its latest version of Android, called Lollipop, but my phone hasn't gotten that update. That's another problem with Android phones: You often have to wait months to get a new software update, if you get it at all."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/i-mad...ndroid-and-i-completely-regret-it-2015-4?r=US

It's, like, the worst thing ever.

the chipworks teardown showed a lack of Qualcomm inside.

Ah, I see. I wasn't really sure, just read at some point that Qualcomm worked on a solution for both standards.

MercuryLS

Banned
I don't agree with much of that, Android apps are a lot better than they were a few years ago. A lot of them have been updated to material design and look as good or better than the equivalent iOS app. I can control all of my music with my bluetooth headphones just fine (he's right that some wired headphones controls don't work perfectly with android phones). Upgrades are a pain though, they take far too long to hit your handset usually. Even though Lollipop has some bugs, I think that it's been huge for the platform overall. It's a great looking OS that runs smoothly, the material design principles are really solid and when 3rd party devs apply them to their apps it's really great.

Mindwipe

He's not wrong, you know.

There are plenty of things wrong with Android, but the idea that more button presses are involved with making a phone call is actually, genuinely, flat out wrong.

The Twitter app is equally horrible on both platforms.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
the guy above complaining never experienced the dark cupcake/doughnut/eclair days - those were dark times my friend

So just the get back to the terrible notification problem in 5.x now, as I haven't had a lot of problems with my Tablet as I do now with my phone due to more notifications.

So Priority Interruptions basically doesn't work for anything other than calls and regular sms? Because all my other apps just ignore Priority Mode and give zero fucks about it, still make a sound. Useless.

Does silent mode allow alarms or is it another bug that Timely does make sound even in silent mode? Is that intended or another app bypass for the worst notification mode ever made.

And also, notification lights do not work in any other mode than regular? But that light is supposed to replace my sounds and vibrations when I dont hear the phone!?!?

Groof

What does the Twitter app being terrible have to do with Android? Isn't that more a failure on Twitter's part?

Hasney

the guy above complaining never experienced the dark cupcake/doughnut/eclair days - those were dark times my friend

Yeah, I had a cheap Samsung backup and good god it was horrible. Jelly Bean was a good time to jump from iOS and I've never looked back since.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I don't understand the notification complaint. I receive them just fine.

I think going from the iOS screen popups and screen on to notify to missing both of those (on some phones and with no additional apps) on Android is tough for many.

I like how he provided no details on how things did not work. Why did he have to click many buttons to call someone? What was wrong with the texting app? No details just chatter. That said the expectation that there should be a solid app for one of the largest social platforms in the world (Twitter) is not unreasonable. Default apps should always be mostly solid and then custom apps should improve the experience, and Twitter fails at that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Eh, he's wrong about a lot of it. Notifications being bad, for example. Would he rather go back to iOS before they stole the notification shade from Android? Lol. And much of what what he isn't wrong about is just TouchWiz being its usual terrible self. Yes, Samsung's SMS app is fucking awful (at least it used to be, not sure what it's like in Lollipop), as is most of their custom software. But that's not "Android", that's Samsung being stupid. Judging an entire OS by the most bloated, ugly and despised (and, sadly, also most widespread) skin isn't fair IMO. Maybe you could argue that that can't even happen on iOS, but still. Would you review Windows 7 based on the slow, bloat-infested version your laptop came with? Well, you shouldn't.

VoxPop

It doesn't seem to have native support for anything. My Spotify app doesn't seamlessly work within Android's confines, which make quickly stopping and starting music a pain. Most third-party headphones also don't work very well with the operating system. They may play and pause music, but they're mostly unreliable and lack features.

The phone interface is completely clunky. Calling somebody takes four or five clicks rather than the one or two of iOS, and pictures never show up and sync easily with Facebook.

Apps are an utter disaster. Nearly every iOS version of an app looks slicker and operates better than its Android counterpart. Good luck finding a good Twitter app because the official one is a pain, and all the other options are second rate compared to the amazing Tweetbot app I swore by on iOS.

Messaging is horrendous. I became disgusted with Samsung's awful built-in messaging app pretty early on and downloaded an app called "Textra" to manage texts. (As I said, everything can be substituted and modified in Android). This makes the experience better, but it's still far inferior to iOS messaging.

Notifications are the worst. They barely exist on Android, or at least I feel that way. I'm constantly missing texts, phone calls, news alerts, you name it. Once again, I had to download a third-party notification plug-in called "Heads Up," to fix this problem. Now I get Google card-like popups when a notification comes down, and I miss a lot fewer. This is not, however, ideal. It's a frustrating solution to a frustrating problem.

Google did make notifications better in its latest version of Android, called Lollipop, but my phone hasn't gotten that update. That's another problem with Android phones: You often have to wait months to get a new software update, if you get it at all."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/i-mad...ndroid-and-i-completely-regret-it-2015-4?r=US

Ah, I see. I wasn't really sure, just read at some point that Qualcomm worked on a solution for both standards.

Most of that is true. Don't really agree with the notifications bit though. Works perfectly fine.

SMS Messaging for sure on Android is hot garbage. And I've tried almost everything.

Hangouts, Textra, HelloSMS, EvolveSMS, Messenger, built in apps on multiple Android phones, etc etc etc. They all suck really bad. Group messaging and MMS is a chore on Android. It's really baffling they still havent made a decent SMS app. They have a long way to go to catch up to iMessage.

FB Messenger probably came closest out of the bunch to serving as a decent SMS app.

Yeah the 4-5 clicks to call someone is a little weird. Not a big fan of the giant square face boxes in "speed dial" and the floating dialer icon in Lollipop. Especially that giant floating recently called box or whatever it is taking up half the screen.

I would say Android has done a ton of catchup in the apps department especially now with the inclusion of Material Design. It has made a lot of apps more tolerable. There are some Gingerbread/KitKat remains here and there but its nowhere near as bad as it used to be. iOS does have a bunch of better looking apps but thats mostly the developers fault for not caring about the Android version, not Google itself.

Can't really say much for the Spotify but having the play controls in the notification center is a terrible idea. With the only other way navigate being through a terrible looking widget that Spotify gives you.

I just want an iPhone with a launcher dammit. Everything else is available via jailbreak.

Hasney

I don't understand how messaging is hot garbage at all. It was passable on the S4 but i agree that the Samsung messaging app was pretty poor. The stock one in Lollipop is fantastic for me.

MercuryLS

Banned
I don't understand how messaging is hot garbage at all. It was passable on the S4 but i agree that the Samsung messaging app was pretty poor. The stock one in Lollipop is fantastic for me.

Yeah I have zero issues with Google's messaging app, also the new messaging app on the S6 looks sharp (although I have to try it first to know if it's any good functionally).

I really hate the messaging app icon that samsung uses. That yellow thing is vomit inducing. I'm not even exaggerating. And of course LG goes and copies it.

Of course I'd never use their stock messaging app but just sayin'.

MercuryLS

Banned
I really hate the messaging app icon that samsung uses. That yellow thing is vomit inducing. I'm not even exaggerating. And of course LG goes and copies it.

Of course I'd never use their stock messaging app but just sayin'.

I'll probably use a 3rd party launcher and moonshine. I don't get why they updated their apps but neglected to update their ugly app icons, they just flattened them but they're still ugly.

Husker86

He is completely wrong on at least one thing...notifications. I don't care what skin you have, notifications on Android are miles better. I've been using my iPhone for the last two months (dropped my Nexus 5 on a drunk night and have a small crack on the glass at the top...not over the screen, but still, might as well use my iPhone 6), and this is the worst part about iOS by far.

L.O.R.D

welp...

CCAUDf6XIAA8Ws5.jpg

Sch1sm

You fucked up, my friend.

He is completely wrong on at least one thing...notifications. I don't care what skin you have, notifications on Android are miles better. I've been using my iPhone for the last two months (dropped my Nexus 5 on a drunk night and have a small crack on the glass at the top...not over the screen, but still, might as well use my iPhone 6), and this is the worst part about iOS by far.

Really? I don't know how much has changed in terms of their notifications since iOS 6, but I preferred iOS notifs to Android's. At least, up until L when lock screen notifs were there. Now I'm indifferent. The only thing that I see people hate iPhone notifications for is the fact that they aren't persistently staring at you in the top left.

Husker86

You fucked up, my friend.

Really? I don't know how much has changed in terms of their notifications since iOS 6, but I preferred iOS notifs to Android's. At least, up until L when lock screen notifs were there. Now I'm indifferent. The only thing that I see people hate iPhone notifications for is the fact that they aren't persistently staring at you in the top left.

The bolded is such a huge advantage, and the main thing I have a problem with on iOS.

I can clear them away if I want on Android. On iOS, if I miss the initial notification, it's gone unless I decide to check the shade to see if I have any notifications. Yeah, iOS has the number bubbles on the apps, but for me, those aren't as nice.

I find I've had messages from a while back that I didn't notice somewhat frequently. I prefer Android's 5.0 lockscreen notifications, though in fairness, the article author said he didn't have Lollipop.

I don't know, maybe I'm a minority then, but I hate the iOS notification shade (the fucking clear buttons, really??) and just overall really dislike the iOS notification system.

edit: And for what it's worth, unlike the author of that article, I have a lot of experience with both iOS and Android. Over the last 3-4 years, I'd say my usage has been 30% iOS / 70% Android. My impressions aren't some knee-jerk response to just switching over.

the device is out of the box is hot ( doing the transfer from nexus 4 )

still didn't download any update

the nexus 4 is not mine
so the HTC one m9 is my first android device , and the second smart phone i got

some photo taken from HTC 8X

now you know why i picked the gold one

Not like this

There's still time man

troll article lol. i see he's using a Samsung.

it literally takes one swipe right to call someone.

more like "i looooooove iOS and refuse to change, here's an editorial"

MercuryLS

Banned
Can someone with an S6 load up an article in Pocket and scroll quickly and tell me how smooth it is? I remember the G3 struggling to redraw the article, I just want to make sure that the soc used can keep up with the display res.

L.O.R.D

good by my sonic runners save game
i was on rank 28 with sonic level 37

man , i wish there is a way to transfer that save

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Android is sorely missing badges on icons, I miss that from iOS a lot - luckily tesla unread handles my main apps for that. I hope they bring that to the core OS in a future update

Almost in every other area, surfacing information is better on android (at least by lollipop). Status bar notifications, optional persistent notifications (I keep the weather up there to save a widget space), widgets for glancable info. Notification cards seem about on par.

manfestival

the device is out of the box is hot ( doing the transfer from nexus 4 )

still didn't download any update

the nexus 4 is not mine
so the HTC one m9 is my first android device , and the second smart phone i got

some photo taken from HTC 8X

now you know why i picked the gold one

thanks for the play by play, can you post pictures and camera selfies from the m9? I quite like the look of the gold now. My s6 was super hot during all of the updates too so I can relate to that stuff

L.O.R.D

thanks for the play by play, can you post pictures and camera selfies from the m9? I quite like the look of the gold now. My s6 was super hot during all of the updates too so I can relate to that stuff

i will post soon
i am playing sonic runners for 30 minutes , and i feel the device became hotter after 10 min
the degree is the same for 30 min i didn't notice become hotter then that ( sorry for my english )

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

I use both Android and iOS equally and disagree with everything in the article. Android is so far ahead of iOS in terms of functionality that it's not even funny.

Apps may have those smooth transition effects and whatnot on iOS, but they don't feel functionally or visibly different from their Android counterparts.

The messaging app? Well it's a good thing that Android gives you the option so you can choose the messaging app that you want to use. What if I wanna change the default messaging app on iOS? Well shit, that's a big no no because I can only use what Apple wants me to use.

If it takes someone 4 or 5 clicks to call someone on Android, then they're literally mentally handicapped.

the chipworks teardown showed a lack of Qualcomm inside.

Oh damn, so Samsung has finally developed their own modem. I wonder if Qualcomm knows how fucked they are. Cheaper Chinese SoCs like Mediatek and Rockchip are taking over the low end. On the high end, Apple and Samsung are now using their own custom designs from end to end. The only company working on software modems is currently Nvidia even though software modems would be revolutionary in a world where literally every nation has a different LTE band in use.

Even if Qualcomm storms back with a high-performing 64-bit custom ARM SoC design in 2016, the writing is on the wall for them. Without Apple and Samsung, without the volume sales of Chinese handsets, they will be limited to what? LG, HTC, Sony until Sony exits the mobile industry? Qualcomm are so fucked. They can't live on just sales from LG and HTC. They have no markets to expand into now.

All over the ship, dancing through the wreckage
of the Qualcomm computer core,

JEN-HSUN WAS LAUGHING

MercuryLS

Banned
Oh damn, so Samsung has finally developed their own modem. I wonder if Qualcomm knows how fucked they are. Cheaper Chinese SoCs like Mediatek and Rockchip are taking over the low end. On the high end, Apple and Samsung are now using their own custom designs from end to end. The only company working on software modems is currently Nvidia even though software modems would be revolutionary in a world where literally every nation has a different LTE band in use.

Even if Qualcomm storms back with a high-performing 64-bit custom ARM SoC design in 2016, the writing is on the wall for them. Without Apple and Samsung, without the volume sales of Chinese handsets, they will be limited to what? LG, HTC, Sony until Sony exits the mobile industry? Qualcomm are so fucked. They can't live on just sales from LG and HTC. They have no markets to expand into now.

All over the ship, dancing through the wreckage
of the Qualcomm computer core,

JEN-HSUN WAS LAUGHING

Yup, would hate to be a Qualcomm shareholder.

Top Bottom