• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

VoxPop

iMessage is shit.

Oh hey, your friend switched to Android? Well fuck him, I'm gonna keep sending your texts as imessages so no-one gets them. Bwahaha.

Shit, how? Because it offers lightning quick messaging to iPad/Mac/iPhone users? Which you can easily choose to send as iMessage or a SMS?

Hangouts tried to mimic it but its finicky at best.

Takes about 10 seconds to deregister your iMessage account. Probably shorter than what it takes to change a song on Spotify.

The Faceless Master said:
sounds complicated.

like easily making ringtones. on a computer with itunes.

everything is just so much easier even when it isn't.

Or you know, you could just download a ringtone and drag it onto your phone (without iTunes) or via an app.

soundahfekz said:
yet you post no valid argument beyond iMessage, as to why these services are subpar.

it's aight if you want to drink to kool-aid, but no need to bullshit about the reason

No valid argument? iMessage is a valid argument. Its quick, its seamless, its free, can use it over WiFi, and it doesnt have some over the top UI with a bunch of useless settings.

Maybe it's cause I'm using T-Mobile but most messaging apps make me receive MMS as a download instead of a neat little picture in a bubble. Group messaging is always a mess (no they aren't using iMessage) and always has issues with receiving certain messages. Never had this issue with iMessage. I switch between my phones every now and then just to avoid this and have a nice problem free messaging app. Not to mention I can transition easily between my iPad/Mac without having to have another app like Push Bullet.

Kool-Aid? I use an Android phone. derp

edit: oh yeah forgot about the GIF support without having to open another window

gcubed

Anyone else having their search bar constantly showing "Say OK Google" after the new Search app update? Not sure if bug or feature...

Also, my location-specific Smart Unlock seemed to have stopped working a while ago. Anyone else have a similar problem?

The ok Google part I think has been there for a while.

Location specific unlock stopped working with the update to play services a few weeks ago. I've given up on it and just disabled it.

To the above poster, gifs work fine in both native messaging apps... hangouts and messages.

You literally have to flick a switch in the settings menu on the iPhone. I realize that people will want to shit on Apple in this thread, but it's dead simple to deregister.
it's only dead simple if the flick of the switch actually works.

Or you know, you could just download a ringtone and drag it onto your phone (without iTunes) or via an app.
meh, more complicated than just making a ringtone on the phone with just the phone.

3phemeral

Cmonnnnn moto x 2015 leak alreadyyyy

hellllllllllloooooooooooo motooooooooooooooo

I'm happy with my 1st gen Moto X enough to skip out on the 2014 edition, but the S6 Edge is mighty tempting. I'm hoping they really show off something great because I love the Touchless Controls and Moto Voice implementations.

Shit, how? Because it offers lightning quick messaging to iPad/Mac/iPhone users? Which you can easily choose to send as iMessage or a SMS?

Hangouts tried to mimic it but its finicky at best.

Takes about 10 seconds to deregister your iMessage account. Probably shorter than what it takes to change a song on Spotify.

You completely missed my point about imessage.

Wreav

Banned
all that time saved by not hitting 4 buttons to make a call adds up, and can be devoted to making shitty ringtones that no one wants to hear

L.O.R.D

WARRING
if you are not very very careful when inserting the sim card

things...could turn very ugly

7WX0rle.jpg

JICU7jc.jpg

iqiCP4S.jpg

No valid argument? iMessage is a valid argument. Its quick, its seamless, its free, can use it over WiFi, and it doesnt have some over the top UI with a bunch of useless settings.

Maybe it's cause I'm using T-Mobile but most messaging apps make me receive MMS as a download instead of a neat little picture in a bubble. Group messaging is always a mess (no they aren't using iMessage) and always has issues with receiving certain messages. Never had this issue with iMessage. I switch between my phones every now and then just to avoid this and have a nice problem free messaging app. Not to mention I can transition easily between my iPad/Mac without having to have another app like Push Bullet.

Kool-Aid? I use an Android phone. derp

edit: oh yeah forgot about the GIF support without having to open another window

You obviously don't know what you're doing If you can't figure out a mms setting that takes two seconds to change.

keep making yourself look foolish though whining about shit that isn't a real issue on the platform.

We tryna get timely lollipop/5.1 updates and you complaining about some bs people figured out on gingerbread. Really dude

MercuryLS

Banned
As much as I want an S6 I don't know if I want to spend $1050 after taxes here in Canada for the 128gb model. I'm looking at the z3 compact again, even with a 128gb SD card I could get it for like $550. That's a massive difference and the compact has wonderful battery life and a very smooth experience. What do you guys think.

As much as I want an S6 I don't know if I want to spend $1050 after taxes here in Canada for the 128gb model. I'm looking at the z3 compact again, even with a 128gb SD card I could get it for like $550. That's a massive difference and the compact has wonderful battery life and a very smooth experience. What do you guys think.

Life is short. Which one do you really want?

VoxPop

You obviously don't know what you're doing If you can't figure out a mms setting that takes two seconds to change.

keep making yourself look foolish though whining about shit that isn't a real issue on the platform.

We tryna get timely lollipop/5.1 updates and you complaining about some bs people figured out on gingerbread. Really dude

Right, cause there are so many options for MMS under the settings tab in Messenger /s

Why should I have to mess around with settings in the first place to get something as basic as MMS working properly?

God forbid I want Google to improve one of their services/apps. The reason it stays shitty is because of people like you.

Quit crying about updates. You could have easily installed a Lollipop ROM months ago. Something people have been doing since Gingerbread. Maybe even Froyo.

In other news, just preordered the S6 Edge. Wanted the 32GB but its backordered so had to settle for the 64GB. Wondering how long till a stable version of CM drops.

L.O.R.D

i really don't get the idea of upgrading every year
why not upgrading every 2 years ?

MercuryLS

Banned
i really don't get the idea of upgrading every year
why not upgrading every 2 years ?

I usually don't upgrade very often, I'm trying to downgrade from my oneplus one to something smaller. 5ish inches or less, S6 looks like its a beast of a phone but I want the 128gb model and that thing is very expensive. Z3C might not be as good in many ways but I can get it with the same amount of storage for nearly half the price.

L.O.R.D

I usually don't upgrade very often, I'm trying to downgrade from my oneplus one to something smaller. 5ish inches or less, S6 looks like its a beast of a phone but I want the 128gb model and that thing is very expensive. Z3C might not be as good in many ways but I can get it with the same amount of storage for nearly half the price.
oh ..
i think you should wait for the Z4 ( maybe they will not get rid of the micro SD slot )

terrier

you can easily do that with an app on iphone

you can also do things you do on an iphone with apps in android.

Really, both OS have their ups and downs, but some pretending iOS is almost perfection compared to android is ridiculous.
And that article is just trolling. And only conclusion that you could extract from it is that iOS is for dummies and android for advanced users.

Mascot

Why 128gb? I'm getting the 64gb S6E and am pretty sure that'll be plenty. My current Nexus is only 16gb but I've never struggled so long as I keep photos and videos clear after auto backup to the cloud. Why the need for so much storage? Just curious.

MercuryLS

Banned
Why 128gb? I'm getting the 64gb S6E and am pretty sure that'll be plenty. My current Nexus is only 16gb but I've never struggled so long as I keep photos and videos clear after auto backup to the cloud. Why the need for so much storage? Just curious.

Lots of Spotify music at high bitrates takes up a lot of room. Plus I load up a bunch of photos and videos too and I like to have ample room for future photos and videos. 64gb has been tight with my iPhone 5S and Oneplus One, I want my next phone to have a roomy 128gb capacity. I'm a bit of a digital hoarder, I don't like using network connectivity for media very much. While I do back up a lot of things to the cloud, I prefer to have media local on my phone, especially music as streaming over data decimates my monthly cap of 6gb really fast.

Mascot

Lots of Spotify music at high bitrates takes up a lot of room. Plus I load up a bunch of photos and videos too and I like to have ample room for future photos and videos. 64gb has been tight with my iPhone 5S and Oneplus One, I want my next phone to have a roomy 128gb capacity. I'm a bit of a digital hoarder, I don't like using network connectivity for media very much.

Ah. My photos and videos upload automatically whenever I've got wifi so I just clear the lot occasionally, knowing they are saved. Plus I only tend to listen to podcasts on my phone.

MercuryLS

Banned
Ah. My photos and videos upload automatically whenever I've got wifi so I just clear the lot occasionally, knowing they are saved. Plus I only tend to listen to podcasts on my phone.

Music is the big one, half of that 128gb can be taken up by my music collection. Streaming isn't viable with caps unfortunately.

Hasney

Yeah, I was struggling with 16GB with apps, but 32GB is working alright with no SD card, but that's only thanks to G Play Music and unlimited 4G data. Otherwise I'd be fucked.

EDIT: Just checked. Seriously fucked.

terrier

local storage won't matter when affordable unlimited data plans + ubiquitous cell signal are available everywhere. But as that is almost science fiction, storage is needed for many.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I bought a Nexus 9 tonight. Should be here Thursday. How likely am I going to regret it?

I see positive reviews from tech sites but horrible user accounts on Reddit.

Also due to upgrade my phone this summer and am looking at Nexus 6.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I think the Z3C might feel too small to you. I was certain it was the better choice for me - similar spec to the Z3 but much cheaper. But when I got it, the size was just something I couldn't have lived with for long, it felt tiny (4.7" though so should have been fine, I guess I just got used to 5" on my 930). I swapped it for the Z3 and couldn't be happier.

Mascot

Music is the big one, half of that 128gb can be taken up by my music collection. Streaming isn't viable with caps unfortunately.

Holy shit - do you listen to all of it? I've still got a 40gb second-gen iPod full to the brim, but I probably only play ten different albums on it..!

I bet you'd be amazed what a judicious purge would free up.

Hasney

Holy shit - do you listen to all of it? I've still got a 40gb second-gen iPod full to the brim, but I probably only play ten different albums on it..!

I bet you'd be amazed what a judicious purge would free up.

A judicious purge would ruin the shuffle feature. I like to be surprised what comes up which is why when I had iPhones, I always had to buy the biggest.

Mindwipe

iMessage and Hangouts are both awful. SMS is a vastly technically superior protocol which is significantly more robust, open and cross platform, hampered only by the US only specific issue that your carriers suck.

As long as you gloss over the 14 months and the class action lawsuit that was required to fix it, and the mess that is created if you still want to be registered to an email address for iMessage on a Mac where it will arbitrarily decided to reregister your phone number through some of the most opaque dialogue boxes designed outside of Microsoft.

Maybe it's cause I'm using T-Mobile but most messaging apps make me receive MMS as a download instead of a neat little picture in a bubble. Group messaging is always a mess (no they aren't using iMessage) and always has issues with receiving certain messages. Never had this issue with iMessage. I switch between my phones every now and then just to avoid this and have a nice problem free messaging app.

In the nicest possible way, one experience is not data. MMS is a solved problem on all platforms, unless your carrier messes up your APN settings profile or you don't reset it between handsets correctly. And in those scenarios the effects on iOS and Android would be exactly the same.

Not to mention I can transition easily between my iPad/Mac without having to have another app like Push Bullet.

The majority of iPhone users have a PC though, not a Mac, so they're completely fucked.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

do you listen to that all over the place, or only eg at home or at the office? Would USB OTG be an option for adding storage just for those occasions you need to get to more media?

I bought a Nexus 9 tonight. Should be here Thursday. How likely am I going to regret it?

I see positive reviews from tech sites but horrible user accounts on Reddit.

Also due to upgrade my phone this summer and am looking at Nexus 6.

it's a great tablet that has performance issues that are software related. Still waiting on google to get on that. Some people I guess had bad luck with build quality but I never did.

Also that M9+ is so ridiculous I wouldn't know where to start. I just mean in terms of business and what it offers in comparison to the regular M9 and whatnot. None of it makes sense.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
it's a great tablet that has performance issues that are software related. Still waiting on google to get on that. Some people I guess had bad luck with build quality but I never did.

As long as I don't have any hardware problems I will be a happy camper. I'll likely return it if it's a problem.

Top Bottom