• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

L.O.R.D

i just noticed the m9+ has 20MP "Ultra pixel" Camera
not a normal mega pixel camera
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobil...-plus-everything-htc-one-m9-should-have-been?

Device Dimensions: 150.99 x 71.99 x 9.61mm
Display: 5.2-inch LCD, 2560 x 1440 pixel QHD
Processor: MediaTek MT6795T octa-core 2.2GHz, 3GB RAM
Storage: 32GB onboard
Camera: 20MP "Ultrapixel" Duo Camera (Depth Sensor)
Software: Android 5.0 Lollipop, "China Sense" UI
Hardware: Front-facing Stereo BoomSound speakers with Dolby Audio, Fingerprint scanner
can HTC redeem them self with this camera ?
why they don't use something like Auto image stabilization ?

Right, cause there are so many options for MMS under the settings tab in Messenger /s

Why should I have to mess around with settings in the first place to get something as basic as MMS working properly?

God forbid I want Google to improve one of their services/apps. The reason it stays shitty is because of people like you.

Quit crying about updates. You could have easily installed a Lollipop ROM months ago. Something people have been doing since Gingerbread. Maybe even Froyo.

In other news, just preordered the S6 Edge. Wanted the 32GB but its backordered so had to settle for the 64GB. Wondering how long till a stable version of CM drops.

All my phones have been rooted, with the exception of this oneplus cause I'm returning it. People wanting timely updates without rooting and flashing sometimes janky roms is a legitimate issue that plagues android devices. Bitching because you don't know how to use a phone isn't

Cheebo

Banned
Anyone reading all these Apple Watch reviews dropping for their comparisons to Android Wear? Seems general consenus is it is superior to Android Wear and all current Android smart watches but it doesn't yet prove that you need a smart watch.

Hasney

Anyone reading all these Apple Watch reviews dropping for their comparisons to Android Wear? Seems general consenus is it is superior to Android Wear and all current Android smart watches out of the water but it doesn't yet prove that you need a smart watch.

The Verge is hilarious as always. Text pretty much says it's shit especially performance wise, sum up says that it's better than any other smartwatch and then scores it lower than the Moto 360. That site, man.

Drifters

The Verge is hilarious as always. Text pretty much says it's shit especially performance wise, sum up says that it's better than any other smartwatch and then scores it lower than the Moto 360. That site, man.
Verge is aiming high
er

As for the smart watch craze, until they un-tether it from a phone, I do not see the need for one.

Cheebo

Banned

To be fair the likes of WSJ, NYT, etc are calling it the best smart watch on the market as well. Although no one seems to think this is going to cause a smart watch craze.

Agent

Random question for any Nexus 6 users. I currently have a Moto X (1st Gen) and a Nexus 7. To be honest, my tablet use is going down a lot lately and I find myself wanting a larger screen phone. I'm thinking of getting a Nexus 6 (Verizon) and selling the phone and tablet since it seems like it would be a happy middle. Is the Nexus 6 still worth getting? It's almost at the 6 month mark, so I'm thinking I should just wait until the fall and see what the new Moto X/Nexus brings. I know I could always wait for the next thing and at some point I have to make the leap. I just like having the latest and greatest.

I have no interest in a Samsung, LG, etc.

Hasney

Random question for any Nexus 6 users. I currently have a Moto X (1st Gen) and a Nexus 7. To be honest, my tablet use is going down a lot lately and I find myself wanting a larger screen phone. I'm thinking of getting a Nexus 6 (Verizon) and selling the phone and tablet since it seems like it would be a happy middle. Is the Nexus 6 still worth getting? It's almost at the 6 month mark, so I'm thinking I should just wait until the fall and see what the new Moto X/Nexus brings. I know I could always wait for the next thing and at some point I have to make the leap. I just like having the latest and greatest.

I have no interest in a Samsung, LG, etc.

The Nexus 6 is brilliant for everything I do with it. I've never been happier with a phone since 5.1 dropped.

The memory leak is still present, but other than redrawing my UI which I can fix with a reboot every few days, it's not a big deal. The camera is also a bit annoying with it's constant refocusing during video, but since I never use that, it's not a big deal for me but worth mentioning.

Wreav

Banned
If you like your Moto X from a build quality perspective, you'll be right at home with an N6, and every spec gets an upgrade for you.

The real question is can you handle that phablet life.

MercuryLS

Banned
Holy shit - do you listen to all of it? I've still got a 40gb second-gen iPod full to the brim, but I probably only play ten different albums on it..!

I bet you'd be amazed what a judicious purge would free up.

I listen to a lot of it, usually shuffle through my music.

Agent

The Nexus 6 is brilliant for everything I do with it. I've never been happier with a phone since 5.1 dropped.

The memory leak is still present, but other than redrawing my UI which I can fix with a reboot every few days, it's not a big deal. The camera is also a bit annoying with it's constant refocusing during video, but since I never use that, it's not a big deal for me but worth mentioning.

Thanks for the feedback. Video isn't that important to me so that wouldn't bother me too much. You'd think both of those issues could be resolved through software updates.

If you like your Moto X from a build quality perspective, you'll be right at home with an N6, and every spec gets an upgrade for you.

The real question is can you handle that phablet life.

I love the Moto X build quality which is why I leaning toward the Nexus 6 or the next Moto X. I bought the 2nd gen Moto X for my mom at Christmas and the design/build is just as good as my 1st gen. I also have a Moto 360 so I've been sticking with the Moto family for the last 2 years. I hope their design philosophy doesn't change under Lenovo.

Yeah, but have you seen the page for the review? They put more effort into that than some ad agencies put into their own web pages. Crazy (good).

I've asked Nilay if that's their review format from now on. Haven't heard back yet.

MercuryLS

Banned
do you listen to that all over the place, or only eg at home or at the office? Would USB OTG be an option for adding storage just for those occasions you need to get to more media?

I'm one of those weirdos that really loved the size of the iPhone 5S. I'm sure I'd be fine with the size of the Z3C. I'll have to think about it, the S6 is very tempting.

McBryBry

So, I'm reading online that Sony has already pushed the Lollipop update into Z3 series phones. Why is it unavailable on my Z3v? I'm not seeing any news on it, so does anyone know when I'll get it?

Drifters

So, I'm reading online that Sony has already pushed the Lollipop update into Z3 series phones. Why is it unavailable on my Z3v? I'm not seeing any news on it, so does anyone know when I'll get it?
x4vkkd_4.jpg

Verizon seems like they're the shittiest US carrier, tons of branding on their devices, they strip out features from phones and they just seem scummy.

Doesn't help when they have the most reliable signal and best coverage... ugh :/...

Also, the heating issue will never be fixed with the 810?

MercuryLS

Banned
Doesn't help when they have the most reliable signal and best coverage... ugh :/...

Also, the heating issue will never be fixed with the 810?

Seems like throttling is the only way but that hold back performance (and makes the jump from the 801/808 not that great on the CPU side). 810 is a bit of a bust, I wouldn't buy any phone with that chipset in it.

gcubed

Yeah, but have you seen the page for the review? They put more effort into that than some ad agencies put into their own web pages. Crazy (good).

I've asked Nilay if that's their review format from now on. Haven't heard back yet.

I was more impressed by their review page than they were by the wrist contraption

Although I do love that almost 1 day battery life without an always on screen is an acceptable amount where it was the end of the world on the 360 (at least that device always told you the time)

longdi

Banned
I have gone 24hrs with 5.0.2 on Z2 and my experience is rather pleasing.

No memory leak
No battery drain
Battery life is even longer with web browsing and standby time!
All notifications working as they should
Notifications are louder as they should have been!
Wifi now connects constantly at AC speeds.
Snappy even with transitions/animations on.

Good job Sony ponies!

ukas

isn't there s special pattern to make you use the camera ?
i know double tap on the screen wake up the phone

On the M8, hold the phone in landscape and hit the volume +/- to start up the camera. I'm not sure if that made its way to the M9.

I was more impressed by their review page than they were by the wrist contraption

Although I do love that almost 1 day battery life without an always on screen is an acceptable amount where it was the end of the world on the 360 (at least that device always told you the time)

You know how it goes

Although Moto shouldn't have used that old ass omap processor

Saiyan-Rox

You know how it goes

Although Moto shouldn't have used that old ass omap processor

The lag on the Moto 360 on launch was really bad thanks to that processor and the first public Android Wear.

Now with the updates it's fine although Android Wear itself needs a little updating again as some aspects are just ugly about the OS.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its not a cool feature. Less is more when it comes to external design

Hardware camera button makes me use the camera more often, especially as it launches the camera even when the phone is locked. Two stage shutter buttons are ideal like on high end lumias, but any button is better than nothing. I hate tapping the screen to take a photo.

MercuryLS

Banned

No memory leak
No battery drain

Good job Sony ponies!

Man, this is why I want a Z3C. Insanely long battery life is such a nice feature, I hate battery anxiety, it would be so nice to have a phone where I never have to worry about it draining in a day no matter how I use it.

manfestival

Dedicated camera buttons are great.

Disagree. I ended up actually using the camera on my Lumina with the button there.

Hardware camera button makes me use the camera more often, especially as it launches the camera even when the phone is locked. Two stage shutter buttons are ideal like on high end lumias, but any button is better than nothing. I hate tapping the screen to take a photo.

HERESY! in all seriousness, I think the s6 handles all this quite nicely. However, I personally like there being 3 buttons and having on screen buttons but samsungs take works for me as well

Drifters

Blame AT&T. HTC just made 5.1 available for the M7 and M8 GPE.

Honestly 5.1 for non-skinned phones is fine to squash stock bugs, however all the other 5.0.x variants don't have the issues that Google's own code has because Google advises them to fix/patch those before they are certified.

See, I realized after a long time, that the while the Nexus program is nice to have the latest and greatest, they are beta testing for the rest of us.

Meanwhile, everyone else on the HTC One M8 on all variants will have fixes that are found in 5.0.2 even if the version number is 5.0.1.

Also, I would highly encourage anyone who has an M8 to convert to the Developer edition. I followed this guide the other day over @ XDA and it's amazing how much better the phone is sans AT&T shit.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/general/guide-update-to-official-developer-t3002003

reKon

Banned

No memory leak
No battery drain

Good job Sony ponies!

I don't get it. Why is this the complete opposite experience to what people here are getting? (referring to comments from last week)

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2015/03...eria-z3-compact-and-xperia-z3-tablet-compact/

Was yours a fresh install?

As much as I want an S6 I don't know if I want to spend $1050 after taxes here in Canada for the 128gb model. I'm looking at the z3 compact again, even with a 128gb SD card I could get it for like $550. That's a massive difference and the compact has wonderful battery life and a very smooth experience. What do you guys think.

Pacific Mall (if you live in the GTA) -> Bring cash -> Shop around -> Bargain.

Wish my phone had a camera button :( Or at least double tap to camera.

Top Bottom