• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
A good friend from work is in the market for a new handset, what are the phones currently available with stock Android that actively receive updates? Is it the MotoX still? Does Sony have a current phone available in the US on Cerizon?

A good friend from work is in the market for a new handset, what are the phones currently available with stock Android that actively receive updates? Is it the MotoX still? Does Sony have a current phone available in the US on Cerizon?
Sony phone do not recommend. Phones that have stock are really only the nexus 6 and second closest being the Moto X 2014.

If your friend can wait all the new flagships are about to be announced starting next month. But yeah if you're looking for stock there aren't many choices. He/she can also get a One Plus for now I guess.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think she's actually waiting about a month or so. So good to know.

I know Sony phones never have stock android, but from what I've seen they have a level of build quality that's unmatched. That could be a misconception though, I've never seen one in real life. Another friend of mine does have the htc one and it's gorgeous but already feels slightly dated.

I think she's actually waiting about a month or so. So good to know.

I know Sony phones never have stock android, but from what I've seen they have a level of build quality that's unmatched. That could be a misconception though, I've never seen one in real life. Another friend of mine does have the htc one and it's gorgeous but already feels slightly dated.

Yea the build quality is so good, the back randomly cracks!

DarkFlow

Banned
So I returned 2 Nexus 9's today trying to fix that damn button problem. Now the 3rd model I got has horrible light bleed. HTC really fucked this thing up. Think I'm just going to get a refund and buy a xbox or something.

Drifters

So I returned 2 Nexus 9's today trying to fix that damn button problem. Now the 3rd model I got has horrible light bleed. HTC really fucked this thing up. Think I'm just going to get a refund and buy a xbox or something.
We all knew that 1 OT ago.... Get the Shield or wait for the Nokia.

Other then the build quality, I love it. I'm just getting tired of playing quality roulette. I don't want the shield because the screen is worse and I like 4:3.

My build quality is fine and will be a damn nice tablet if 5.1 fixes the performance. You may be chasing a ghost if you are looking for perfect buttons tho.

You mean like the same shit we heard about Volta? Don't worry NEXT year shit'll be fixed so you can make do with that shitty battery capacity.

L M F A O

How many times are you people going to confuse me with notbacon's Volta praising? You wonder why I called you vanillaidiot.

Have you not noticed how much better the battery is on the note 4 vs nexus 6? The more efficient panel on the note 4.

DarkFlow

Banned
My build quality is fine and will be a damn nice tablet if 5.1 fixes the performance. You may be chasing a ghost if you are looking for perfect buttons tho.

Nah, I got good buttons with this one, and then got stuck with horrible light bleed when the last two had none that I could see. I could tilt the buttons up and down by slightly pushing them, and they sat at a slope when not being pushed on the last two I had.

Sch1sm

How many times are you people going to confuse me with notbacon's Volta praising? You wonder why I called you vanillaidiot.

Have you not noticed how much better the battery is on the note 4 vs nexus 6? The more efficient panel on the note 4.

He wasn't even being serious, tho. Chill.

HPhins54

Neo Member
I have a GS5 on Sprint and after updating to Lollipop a few days ago, this sums it up for me.

AUTEf.jpg

Alright, so that's probably a bit dramatic, but I still regret switching to 5.0. I had my phone setup just the way I wanted it. I was perfectly content. When I downloaded 5.0, I noticed several changes (albeit fairly minor).

- UI/animations feel a bit laggy. I went into dev mode and turned off animations. That seems to have helped a decent amount.
- I like to keep my phone on silent when I'm sleeping. My alarm clock (stock) no longer makes any sound when in silent mode. Luckily, I still managed to wake up for work on time.
- Couple of gripes with how the new UI and notifications work with certain apps like Spotify and Poweramp.

I'm sure most, if not all of these issues, can be alleviated with some tinkering, I just prefer to set everything up once and be done with it.

/rant

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Updates change things about how things work. That's just the nature. If everything works exactly how you want, yup, I guess an upgrade isn't for you. Stick with it, though. You'll get used to the quirks and embrace the positive.

NotBacon

Hey guys just stopping by the Android thread to say hi. I used my Android phone today, and it was pretty sweet. Alright, see ya guys later.

Pachimari

I think I might upgrade from my LG G3 this year. Gonna be exciting to see what all the companies bring.

Right now my attention is especially on the LG G4. But I could be swayed by OnePlus, HTC, Sony and Nexus as well.

Hasney

Im surprised there is no active iPhone thread.

This one's only this active because we get so many phones in a year and the arguments over the different phones. An iPhone thread doesn't have much to discuss unless people want to argue over regular and Plus.

Hasney

Well my phone has stopped making and receiving calls as of last night, so I picked the right time for this Nexus 6.

On a Lumia 520 until it gets here. It cannot come soon enough.

Elchele

so you're going to continue in the line of making terrible purchase mistakes?

Is the iPhone 5C worth buying?
Nooooope. Get a 5s or higher.

honestly I like my nexus 9 overall. Only thing that is disappointing is the battery life and some lollipop performance quirks but those google can fix. I'm hoping they will in 5.1 It's crazy how unoptimized it is.

My build quality is good and my buttons are good.

Sch1sm

Cute, the team is reassembling. I'm not allowed to talk back to a user talking trash to me? Especially one that has me confused with another user? That's just too serious.

There is no team. I'm just notifying you of your misinterpretation. Stop thinking the world's against you. c:

Anyway. My N5 seems to have given up on sound. I've been trying to make calls, and it just won't let me hear what the other person is saying. What is this. Hang up. Try again. Same. Open music app, nope, Nada. Seems like it only works on speaker, which I figured by chance alone.

An Ouya would be a terrible choice in consumer products. An Xbox One is just not quite as good as a PS4. But if you prefer the one or two exclusive games on that platform, I can see why someone would pick it over a PS4.

bob page

Are there any apps for auto backup of photos to Drive? I stopped using G+ photo backup because I'd prefer to have a local copy and things started to get messy/more of a hassle.

Are there any apps for auto backup of photos to Drive? I stopped using G+ photo backup because I'd prefer to have a local copy and things started to get messy/more of a hassle.

Not understanding your issues with g+/Photos backup. You want a local copy but want to auto-backup with drive? How would that be any different than using g+ photos auto-backup?

I understand the organization part. Everyone has personal preferences there.

bob page

Not understanding your issues with g+/Photos backup. You want a local copy but want to auto-backup with drive? How would that be any different than using g+ photos auto-backup?

I understand the organization part. Everyone has personal preferences there.

G+ backup doesn't save the photos to a local folder- I would have to manually redownload all images to my PC. If they were to auto backup to Drive, the Drive folder would also sync a copy to my PC.

Sonic cycle should apply to updates. People regretting updating their GS5s, M8s, and G3s. I even regret updating my Moto X. Time to hype up the next major update!

G+ backup doesn't save the photos to a local folder- I would have to manually redownload all images to my PC. If they were to auto backup to Drive, the Drive folder would also sync a copy to my PC.

Ah gotcha. Maybe a competing service like dropbox offers something in their android app.

Sonic cycle should apply to updates. People regretting updating their GS5s, M8s, and G3s. I even regret updating my Moto X. Time to hype up the next major update!

Not that there aren't issues with lollipop BC I think performance is much worse.. A lot of those people complaining never do a factory reset before they start crying all over the web.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm not caught up in them stupid fanboy wars to think that. The one is a better value then the PS4 right now, there's no way around it.

As for the IPad, I might. I've owned a 2 before so I have apps in both systems. It's just I don't know if I want to spend the $100 extra for it. I'll sit on and think about it.

Top Bottom