• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Anyone with a Moto X 2nd gen getting an annoying ghost static sound when you jack in headphones or earphones? It's irritating because it's constantly there. And it's not my earphones because I've used two different pairs.

Motorola's audio jack were always shit.

NotBacon

I guess I was misinformed. I wouldn't know firsthand as I always use a dedicated amp and source :p

^ All phones have built in amps. It's not going to be of high caliber, but every phone needs an amp because people expect to just pop in some headphones and hear things.

I guess I was misinformed. I wouldn't know firsthand as I always use a dedicated amp and source :p

^ All phones have built in amps. It's not going to be of high caliber, but every phone needs an amp because people expect to just pop in some headphones and hear things.

I meant the good hi-def amps.

NotBacon

Even Sammy is putting in some awesome DACs lately.

Dat Qualcomm DAC lol
I did hear the last Exynos had a decent one

I meant the good hi-def amps.

Almost on par with a high quality portable amp. I tested side by side with my FiiO e11k and the M8 felt slightly more enclosed and there was some weird clipping at max volume.
Granted the e11k is a beast portable, so the M8 is probably on par with your average portable amp, but nowhere near a real "hi-def" amp.

Guys, I'm really excited. My Nexus 6 will be here in a few days!

I'm so happy to be able to dump my (AT&T) Note 3 and that Touchwiz bullshit I couldn't get rid of because of the locked bootloater. My tablet is a Tab S 10.5 running CM12 and I find it jarring going back and forth between 4.3 touchwiz (ugh) and Lollipop. Also, Lollipop is awesome so there's also that.

Looking forward too having more cohesiveness between devices.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nice. Be prepared to drop it a bunch. I've never, ever dropped my Nexus 4 or 5. Ever. But the N6 likes to free fall. Luckily, it is well built. Not a scratch. I also hate the speakers. They like to attract dirt in them.

Hasney

Nice. Be prepared to drop it a bunch. I've never, ever dropped my Nexus 4 or 5. Ever. But the N6 likes to free fall. Luckily, it is well built. Not a scratch. I also hate the speakers. They like to attract dirt in them.

I have noticed the back is slippy, but only I've rested it quickly on my clothes or while wearing gloves. In my hand, I haven't even had a close call yet when resting my forefinger in the moto logo dimple and the other 3 fingers below that and I'm clumsy as fuck usually.

Latest rumour is that sony won't reveal the Z4 at MWC. If that's true then I don't buy the various excuses sites are coming up with like "I guess they're going back to a year". Even though I'm sure they want to now, I doubt they want their already struggling phone to be anywhere remotely near the iphone 6s launch.

IMO all it does is point to signs that they either aren't confident in it, not confident in launching it, or not confident in their mobile business altogether. Which should scare anyone off from buying it when it does come out. Oh well.

Hasney

Latest rumour is that sony won't reveal the Z4 at MWC. If that's true then I don't buy the various excuses sites are coming up with like "I guess they're going back to a year". Even though I'm sure they want to now, I doubt they want their already struggling phone to be anywhere remotely near the iphone 6s launch.

IMO all it does is point to signs that they either aren't confident in it, not confident in launching it, or not confident in their mobile business altogether. Which should scare anyone off from buying it when it does come out. Oh well.

That rumour has been going on for a couple of months now. It's what forced my hand on getting the N6, other than my S4 shitting the bed even further.

I'm thinking that the 810 is giving a worse performance than the 805 in the Z3, either in raw performance or the much-lauded battery life and they're not going to release a phone that's worse in the state they're in.

It's a shame I couldn't find a 32GB version of the Z3 or it might have been an option still.

grmlin

I can't believe Sony builds a flagship with a 16GB model being the only option. I considered it mainly because of the remote play feature and great battery life, but this is ridiculous. I will never ever again mess around with Android and this little space.
I really hope 2015 will be the year with 32GB as a minimum of storage for high end phones.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I was asking in regard to the Moto X which has this annoying static sound. It isn't loud, but it's there.

HTC M9 my next phone confirmed.

If you read over on the Head-Fi forums they generally praise both the M7 and M8 for headphone output.

Granted as Bacon said it's not gonna be super top tier, but for a phone it's a step above most in Android land. I think Anandtech did a review of the M8 and GS5 comparing the sound quality when they released around the same time.

Meh I feel like Sony phones don't have a much a place. Or at least it's not a huge loss other than their compact line. I commend them on putting premium specs in a smaller device rather than treating it like a the low end like everyone else but other than that, meh.

Their build quality is good but HTC has stepped up a lot. The One M9 should be more than enough to fill the sony void for people, especially now that they're giving up their silly camera experiment.

Drifters

Meh I feel like Sony phones don't have a much a place. Or at least it's not a huge loss other than their compact line. I commend them on putting premium specs in a smaller device rather than treating it like a the low end like everyone else but other than that, meh.

Their build quality is good but HTC has stepped up a lot. The One M9 should be more than enough to fill the sony void for people, especially now that they're giving up their silly camera experiment.

Pretty much. I expect HTC to have a smashing quarter with the M9 given that it finally will be getting the praise they deserves.

Nothing on mine.
Really? I guess it must be a case by case thing then.
If you read over on the Head-Fi forums they generally praise both the M7 and M8 for headphone output.

Granted as Bacon said it's not gonna be super top tier, but for a phone it's a step above most in Android land. I think Anandtech did a review of the M8 and GS5 comparing the sound quality when they released around the same time.
Yeah, the IEMs that I bought were reviewed well there. Plus, someone from AudioGaf warned me that phones aren't the best source. I didn't think it would this annoying.

The M9 circle jerk is hilarious. Is this phone of the year without even seeing other phones?

Hasney

Pretty much. I expect HTC to have a smashing quarter with the M9 given that it finally will be getting the praise they deserves.

Yup. I'd be hanging on for them if the bigger phone with an 810 in didn't seem to be cancelled, or replaced with a version with a lower end chipset weirdly.

M9 and G4 are gonna win this year

bookmark this post, brehs

Are we talking best overall quality of phone or sales?

If we just mean best phone hardware I say the M9/S6 win. S6 just based on the rumours. LG is gonna take things too far and screw up somehow.

Still hoping Motorola puts a huge battery in the X 2015 and then it becomes a no brainer.

Hasney

Are we talking best overall quality of phone or sales?

If we just mean best phone hardware I say the M9/S6 win. S6 just based on the rumours. LG is gonna take things too far and screw up somehow.

Still hoping Motorola puts a huge battery in the X 2015 and then it becomes a no brainer.

How would the S6 win phone of the year? Love or hate Samsung in general, but their Notes always murder the previous S device later in the year.

Agree on the Moto part though. If Sony close their mobile division, they should poach their battery optimisation wizards.

How would the S6 win phone of the year? Love or hate Samsung in general, but their Notes always murder the previous S device later in the year.

Agree on the Moto part though. If Sony close their mobile division, they should poach their battery optimisation wizards.

just basing it on overall appeal. The Note 5 will likely crush the S6 in terms of hardware but not as many people will find it to be an appealing option compared to the S6 which is still their flagship phone.

google should buy sony's mobile division and just pump out nexus devices every year, one the size of the z3 compact and one the size of their regular Z phones. Daaaamn son we aint ready for that.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
-I don't think the S6 will make a huge splash unless TouchWiz becomes less...TouchWiz. Even still, I think the Galaxy Sx is kinda washed up, the Note 5 (maybe even the S6 Edge) will be more popular

-As usual, the Xperia Z4 will probably be ignored, despite it probably being the most balanced

-The Moto X 2015 will still have a bad camera

-Oppo will release an excellent phone that nobody in NA will buy again

- Xiaomi, Lenovo, and Huawei will continue to slaughter other OEMs in Asia

Seems to me that unless LG screws up (which is likely) or HTC bottoms out their camera (which is also likely)...they could probably win by sales and popularity.

mturco

-I don't think the S6 will make a huge splash unless TouchWiz becomes less...TouchWiz. Even still, I think the Galaxy Sx is kinda washed up, the Note 5 (maybe even the S6 Edge) will be more popular
Nope. The S6 will sell like crazy as usual.

-As usual, the Xperia Z4 will probably be ignored, despite it probably being the most balanced
Yep.

Yep.

-Oppo will release an excellent phone nobody in NA will buy again
Yep.

Yep.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
What about the OnePlus Two?

Oh yeah. That'll sell alright - despite the fact that they probably will stick with the shitty invite system

Depends how shitty this Oxygen OS is. I guess we find that out in 2 days lol. Also hardware could be better. Talk about huge bezels.

Edit: I forgot about Oxygen OS - well...I guess we'll see lool

-Oppo will release an excellent phone that nobody in NA will buy again

Seems to me that unless LG screws up (which is likely) or HTC bottoms out their camera (which is also likely)...they could probably win by sales and popularity.

If it is even there. The word is that release has been shifted to accommodate their new one flagship per year strategy, I don't expect it to be present at MWC.

Wreav

Banned
T-mo's M8 update is out today.

Finally got around to watching the Droid Life tour of 5.0 on Sense and...it's not bad! Probably the least intrusive skin I've seen yet for Lollipop. Still a few too many holo pop ups though.

Still disappointed that no skin is using the flashlight quick toggle, however.

He was talking about phones in 2015 in general, not just the ones at MWC.

Ah, fair enough. The Z4 might have quite an interesting camera so it should make some waves anyway. I just hope Sony get the software right this time or at least hook it up to the new 5.0 camera features like RAW output so they can't fuck up the IQ with aggressive NR.

Top Bottom