• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

DarkFlow

Banned
4Zjj6ky.jpg

PS+ would like a fucking word
Really? God the fanboy shit spreads even in here. I can get a One for $250 right now since I have a crappy 360 I can trade in. That's $150 cheaper then a PS4, so yeah it's still a better value.

Really? God the fanboy shit spreads even in here.
says the guy who says "there's no way around it".

Value has subjective elements. PS+ is amazing value for what you get in a year, the 2015 lineup for PS4 is fantastic, there's value in that to. Just because something is cheaper doesn't mean it's better value.

Lool I just noticed that the recent apps cards are almost infinite in number. There is no fucking limit anymore is there? (I am aware it is but just scrolling through them recrntly looked like there is no end in sight) Every fucking search result I made in the last week was in there.

They could at least give a option to limit that shit or add a close all button (lol touchwiz amirite) as its tedious to clean that up. I have a feeling my N7 runs a bit better after cleaning that mess up, but its still ruined compared to kitkat in performance.

Lollipop just keeps on giving I mean ruining.

DarkFlow

Banned
says the guy who says "there's no way around it".

Value has subjective elements. PS+ is amazing value for what you get in a year, the 2015 lineup for PS4 is fantastic, there's value in that to. Just because something is cheaper doesn't mean it's better value.
No way around it equals fanboy now? Lol, that's a good one.

Hasney

Lool I just noticed that the recent apps cards are almost infinite in number. There is no fucking limit anymore is there? (I am aware it is but just scrolling through them recrntly looked like there is no end in sight) Every fucking search result I made in the last week was in there.

They could at least give a option to limit that shit or add a close all button (lol touchwiz amirite) as its tedious to clean that up. I have a feeling my N7 runs a bit better after cleaning that mess up, but its still ruined compared to kitkat in performance.

Lollipop just keeps on giving I mean ruining.

You shouldn't be closing anything unless it crashes. Let the scheduler do its thing and you should get better battery and overall performance.

That said, the default way of having tabs in there too is horrendous, but at least that can be turned off.

asdad123

Really? God the fanboy shit spreads even in here. I can get a One for $250 right now since I have a crappy 360 I can trade in. That's $150 cheaper then a PS4, so yeah it's still a better value.

You could've traded in that "crappy" 360 into best buy yesterday and gotten a PS4 for $250 as well.

I'm not caught up in them stupid fanboy wars to think that. The one is a better value then the PS4 right now, there's no way around it.

As for the IPad, I might. I've owned a 2 before so I have apps in both systems. It's just I don't know if I want to spend the $100 extra for it. I'll sit on and think about it.
black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

You make an opinionated statement like that and get defensive when people disagree? Are you serious? Though I suppose you should trade in that 360 towards the One, Microsoft could use the sale.

Can anybody help me try and fix my S5 (UK, 3) as post-Lollipop update I'm no longer getting notifications from Gmail either in the dropdown box or vibrating/sound feedback either.

Ideas?

Can anybody help me try and fix my S5 (UK, 3) as post-Lollipop update I'm no longer getting notifications from Gmail either in the dropdown box or vibrating/sound feedback either.

Ideas?
make sure the setting is ok, maybe it changed for some reason. I'm not 100% sure but I think in the gmail app if you go to the settings for the account it's happening to and then you go to notifications > sounds and notifications or something like that there should be an option to tick off for receiving a notification for every new message. Make sure that's on.

NotBacon

Subjectively, either console is fine. I know happy owners on both sides and that's fine.

Objectively, PS4 dominates. End of discussion.

Back to Android: I really hope Shamesung doesn't fuck up the S6.

M.W.

Picked up my first android tablet today (Galaxy S 8.4)

Any must have games/apps/books/anything I should focus on?

Subjectively, either console is fine. I know happy owners on both sides and that's fine.

well we know it's going to have touchwiz so their odds of not doing that are low. But who knows maybe touchwiz will be awesome.

lol. But srs. Moto X 2015 and the HTC Nexus Phone 2015 will be our saviour.

DarkFlow

Banned

It's a Samsung, so it will have killer specs coupled with shitty touchwiz.

OEMs and Sonic 3D games

Motorola - Sonic Colors
all dat colors
Samsung - Sonic '06
load times = touchwiz
LG - Sonic Adventure 2
pretty good, just a few steps behind
HTC - Sonic Adventure
good ideas all around, but lacking something
Sony - Sonic Heroes
no one cares and very forgettable

I dunno. I tried.

Nexus and maybe Moto will be saved with 5.1. Everyone else is going to be screwed with the laggy/slow 5.0. People will flock to iPhones more than ever

OEMs and Sonic 3D games

Motorola - Sonic Colors
all dat colors
Samsung - Sonic '06
load times = touchwiz
LG - Sonic Adventure 2
pretty good, just a few steps behind
HTC - Sonic Adventure
good ideas all around, but lacking something
Sony - Sonic Heroes
no one cares and very forgettable

I dunno. I tried.
interesting change of pace from the usual DBZ power level comparisons.

iphone = goku, mad overpowered, basically a god.
vegeta = samsung, he's trying but he just doesn't get "it" so he will never match goku
motorola = gohan, putting in mad work, becoming power as fuck
htc = trunks, slick and powerful
sony = krillin
LG = raditz or something I don't know.

Nexus and maybe Moto will be saved with 5.1. Everyone else is going to be screwed with the laggy/slow 5.0. People will flock to iPhones more than ever
it's pretty funny how they take so long to get 5.0 out and then 5.1 comes out fixing everything and then the wait begins again. Hopefully it fixes everything.

Drifters

I'm not caught up in them stupid fanboy wars to think that. The one is a better value then the PS4 right now, there's no way around it.

As for the IPad, I might. I've owned a 2 before so I have apps in both systems. It's just I don't know if I want to spend the $100 extra for it. I'll sit on and think about it.
Just get the iPad man.

You shouldn't be closing anything unless it crashes. Let the scheduler do its thing and you should get better battery and overall performance.

That said, the default way of having tabs in there too is horrendous, but at least that can be turned off.

But my N7 actually ran a bit better when I cleaned that up. Plus there are so many cards (Google search being the biggest offender) that I stopped using the recent apps altogether...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I clear cards so the multitasking is easier to navigate. I like how Chrome keeps tabs closer together now, as if separating itself from other apps. Nice.

Hasney

Got my Nexus 6 and easily made the best choice. Best size phone for me. Only 2 real niggles:

• Missing the customization of carousel scrolling and removing the Google search from the homescreen like I did on CM12.
  • Man, I miss a notification LED, more than I would have thought, Don't really want to root to bring it back, but I may have to if they don't bring it back for 5.1.

Other than that, loving it. Battery life seems great compared to a Galaxy S4 and then the turbo charger is great too. Very happy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My N6 battery life is great considering my wake locks cause it to be awake 98% of the time. I googled and it seems like I'm not the only one with a high mobile radio active time under Google Play Services. Also, my screen time will be 2+ hours but Google PS will still be the top battery consumer.

Hasney

My N6 battery life is great considering my wake locks cause it to be awake 98% of the time. I googled and it seems like I'm not the only one with a high mobile radio active time under Google Play Services. Also, my screen time will be 2+ hours but Google PS will still be the top battery consumer.

Any sort of pattern with people reporting problems, like network or anything? Not getting that yet, but I'll withhold judgement until I use it for a full day.

Drifters

Only way I could track down wake locks on my previous Nexus was factory reset and install one app a day. If my battery went to shit, I found the problem app.

SimleuqiR

I stopped blaming the hardware long time ago.
The main issue is that the people at Android, working on the Nexus devices software, have no idea how to optimize for better battery life.

My mom's Moto G (G2) get's insane standby battery life (days).
I barely touch my Nexus 5 today and it's down to 67 %.

Drifters

I stopped blaming the hardware long time ago.
The main issue is that the people at Android, working on the Nexus devices software, have no idea how to optimize for better battery life.

My mom's Moto G (G2) get's insane standby battery life (days).
I barely touch my Nexus 5 today and it's down to 67 %.
This is why after owning my HTC I doubt I'll ever go Nexus anything again.

Wreav

Banned
I'd missed this, but VZW getting the N6 in 2 weeks, and a new Turbo variant...and whatever that Samsung abortion is.

nexus2cee_verizon-rollout_thumb.png

Bboy AJ

Only way I could track down wake locks on my previous Nexus was factory reset and install one app a day. If my battery went to shit, I found the problem app.

Yeah, this advice might be what I have to do. But my N6 has no apps that weren't on my N5 or N9 or N10. Same stuff but now wake locks. Ugh. Annoying.

That said, can you guys believe I found a SprintDM process running? Keep in mind I have the international N9. I went ahead and found the trouble folder and deleted it. Sprint? Fuck outta here.

Hasney

As discussed in the N6 thread, are you guys getting the constant refocusing in the camera app?

Just tried and not getting either of the things that video shows or the constant refocus mentioned in the description. If I point at a new target, it refocuses and that's it.

EDIT: After looking in the N6 thread, yes it constantly focuses if I record video and I move the phone around. If it's still, it doesn't. My S4 did it as well and although it was a while ago now, I'm sure my iPhone 4S did too. Thought it was regular behaviour.

Anyone with a Moto X 2nd gen getting an annoying ghost static sound when you jack in headphones or earphones? It's irritating because it's constantly there. And it's not my earphones because I've used two different pairs.

Hasney

Other niggle: This phone has a 6" screen, why can't I choose to run Chrome in tablet mode? My 7" tablet here deals with it fine (and I have a refresh button, it's glorious) so I should have the option.

Top Bottom