• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

what color? I am sad there aren't more htc one m9 posts.

I've only got 3 choices and that is gold, black and white. I'm trying to look for the emerald green but it seems it doesn't exist just yet.

Its likely I'm going for black

Does anyone know if Samsung if planning on release an S6 with a bigger battery capacity and a microSD slot?

I'll just settle for the s6 edge then. The microSD and battery life isn't much of a deal breaker for me. Although I would really like the emerald green color compared to the black one :(

TBH I was gonna tell him if you want an S6 with better battery and micro SD slot it's called the LG G4 lol.

Only downside is it will be Note-orious b.i.g.

i dunno man, that 808 is Note a good look.

people want high end specs, that's alNote mid-range.

almost as sad as SoNote using a 1080p screen.on a flagship

in 2Note105

but i mean, 808 or 810, damned if you do, damned if you dNote

Guys...guys

stop

fZhGEgM.gif

My S6 finally arrived today! I love the phone but it is a bit overwhelming coming from an iphone. Not super thrilled with the battery, but the camera is damn awesome.

Also, Ingress is the coolest mobile game/app I have ever seen. I spent my night wandering about and capturing portals. I can see that getting addicting!

My S6 finally arrived today! I love the phone but it is a bit overwhelming coming from an iphone. Not super thrilled with the battery, but the camera is damn awesome.

Also, Ingress is the coolest mobile game/app I have ever seen. I spent my night wandering about and capturing portals. I can see that getting addicting!
Getting a phone like the s6 or upcoming g4 is doubly overwhelming because they're packed with features on top of stock. For better and worse.

Looks like trusted locations is finally working for me now without having to manually enter my home address. It detected it automatically, but for some reason wouldn't work on its own.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm browsing on chrome with spotify multi widowed above, shrunk down just to show the controls. This is amazing, I'm loving the S6 edge so much.

MercuryLS

Banned
As your battery drops 10 percent in 10 minutes.

Meh, I regret nothing. I've got the screen turned down and I've been downloading gigs of music on spotify while browsing for the last two hours. Lost about 25% and the phone is only mildly warm. I'd say that's pretty good.

Multiwindow is awesome. I just downloaded Multiwindow Manager (root required) to let more apps work in multiwindow. Have a flashcard app open and a dictionary, while reading a foreign language book. I can't live without this feature *_*

Part of the Note 4 Master Race. I don't even remember what it's like to worry about battery 😏

Multiwindow is awesome. I just downloaded Multiwindow Manager (root required) to let more apps work in multiwindow. Have a flashcard app open and a dictionary, while reading a foreign language book. I can't live without this feature *_*

Part of the Note 4 Master Race. I don't even remember what it's like to worry about battery 😏

Once you've Noted, you can Note go back to a world before Note.

Note is Life. Note is Love.

MercuryLS

Banned
For the love of God Samsung, please add a A-Z button for Canadian S6s. My app drawer is a goddamn mess. This is the only thing I hate about this phone right now, everything else is amazing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Got dammit, I made a huge mistake with the N6.

Hasney

Got dammit, I made a huge mistake with the N6.

Nah, at worst you'll have a great phone for a year. Touchwiz was still too much on the Note 4, but on the 5 if it follows the S6? That could be great.

Hell, by that point, Google might even release the stock feature that does this
lol

EDIT: Googled it and Multiwindow Manager can be used on any non-Lollipop phone anyway through Xposed. Once that catches up, we'll all have it.

Uh so holy shit I know some of you guys know my app classic notes was taken down due to a DMCA complaint from Apple last month and Google told me the only way to get it back was to reupload as a new package but I just got a call earlier from an Apple lawyer and she actually emailed Google and told them it's OK if they reinstate my app if I change the icon. Still up to Google in the end but wow. Never thought I'd see the day.

terrier

Are people hating on the 808 too?

what advantage has this 808 soc vs other manufacturers'?¿ It doesn 't use customized cpus unlike previous krait cores, so it doesn't seem to give any real benefit compared to exyonos or mediatek solutions. In fact it is weaker since it is hexacore instead of octacore.

Maybe GPU?

Groof

what advantage has this 808 soc vs other manufacturers'?¿ It doesn 't use customized cpus unlike previous krait cores, so it doesn't seem to give any real benefit compared to exyonos or mediatek solutions. In fact it is weaker since it is hexacore instead of octacore.

Maybe GPU?
It's a smarter move considering the issues with the 810

Uh so holy shit I know some of you guys know my app classic notes was taken down due to a DMCA complaint from Apple last month and Google told me the only way to get it back was to reupload as a new package but I just got a call earlier from an Apple lawyer and she actually emailed Google and told them it's OK if they reinstate my app if I change the icon. Still up to Google in the end but wow. Never thought I'd see the day.
Yo dude this is awesome. Hope Google gets the stick out their ass and lets you republish

terrier

It's a smarter move considering the issues with the 810

Yo dude this is awesome. Hope Google gets the stick out their ass and lets you republish

well i see it as a temporal solution but unless price is competitive i see no reason to choose qualcomm over other supliers for flagships. How does it perform compared to 805 and 810, and compared to exyonos on S6?

Hasney

well i see it as a temporal solution but unless price is competitive i see no reason to choose qualcomm over other supliers for flagships. How does it perform compared to 805 and 810, and compared to exyonos on S6?

Only graphics benchmarks have been released and it puts it only slightly above the G3 but well behind the Flex. Will have to wait for CPU stuff.

You don't really have a choice in terms of CPU though. Despite its issues, they're still the best option. Exynos is unavailable to other manufacturers, Mediatek aren't there yet, Tegra doesn't play well with phones and x86 still isn't a good option for Android. Hopefully they can get some good competition.

terrier

Only graphics benchmarks have been released and it puts it only slightly above the G3 but well behind the Flex. Will have to wait for CPU stuff.

You don't really have a choice in terms of CPU though. Despite its issues, they're still the best option. Exynos is unavailable to other manufacturers, Mediatek aren't there yet, Tegra doesn't play well with phones and x86 still isn't a good option for Android. Hopefully they can get some good competition.

well, i do not know if MT6795 is already available but as the link i posted above comparing MT and SD mid/low range SoCs, it does seem to beat 810 (and obviously 808) and it will also have a price advantage

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Medi...ks-breathes-down-Snapdragon-810s-neck_id66393

If qualcomm uses standard ARM design, i cannot see them having real advantages over competition. There's some rumors that they are talking with samsung to switch from TSMC and have 14nm SoCs using samsung's factories. ANd then wait until customized 820 ships ....

slightly above g3 only? it uses Adreno 330 vs 420 on 805 on Note 4. Doesn't seem very promising...

Groof

I think the reason they're cautious of going with mediatek is that they have yet to prove themselves in the same way as qualcomm has, so OEMs don't want to risk putting one of their chips in their biggest flagships. Thus you see an 808, which is still a spec bump, even if slight, and does away with the issues of the 810.

It's a smart move while still playing it safe. Specs are either way at a point where most chipsets will provide a good experience and the bigger factor is now in the software.

terrier

I think the reason they're cautious of going with mediatek is that they have yet to prove themselves in the same way as qualcomm has, so OEMs don't want to risk putting one of their chips in their biggest flagships. Thus you see an 808, which is still a spec bump, even if slight, and does away with the issues of the 810.

It's a smart move while still playing it safe. Specs are either way at a point where most chipsets will provide a good experience and the bigger factor is now in the software.

Yup. I understand that, i wonder why they would choose 808 instead of 805 though. GPU? doesn't seem to improve that much if it only does slightly better than G3's

Hasney

The 6795 went into production late March and I think the first phone to use it is going to be that HTC M9 Plus or whatever they ended up calling it, so we'll be able to see it in real use at that point, but that gave the 810 a 4 month lead I believe, making it not much of a choice for the early year phones.

Good news for the 820 though came in today, they'll be using Samsung's chip foundry. There were reports that Qualcomm were having issues getting to 14nm with their current partner and Samsung are already there, so that should help a lot.

Groof

Yup. I understand that, i wonder why they would choose 808 instead of 805 though. GPU? doesn't seem to improve that much if it only does slightly better than G3's
Probably because they already used the 805 in the G3 cat 6 in Korea and want to differentiate them more

terrier

The 6795 went into production late March and I think the first phone to use it is going to be that HTC M9 Plus or whatever they ended up calling it, so we'll be able to see it in real use at that point, but that gave the 810 a 4 month lead I believe, making it not much of a choice for the early year phones.

Good news for the 820 though came in today, they'll be using Samsung's chip foundry. There were reports that Qualcomm were having issues getting to 14nm with their current partner and Samsung are already there, so that should help a lot.

yup, as i said in my post too, samsung and qualcomm were in talks so if it they have come to an agreement it is good news for qualcomm since 14nm + presumably custom design for 820 that could give them performance advantage like they had with krait cores that would mean them back on top quite fast vs competition.

Probably because they already used the 805 in the G3 cat 6 in Korea and want to differentiate them more
probably, yes. Commercial desicion i guess because it doesn't seem to be better than 805 at all.

Hasney

Slightly OT, but I really hope the Samsung/AMD rumours are true. They've managed the switch to 14nm much better than even Intel did and if they got into the x64 market too, I'd be paying a LOT of attention.

good guy apple

Also Qualcomm is apparently ditching TSMC after the early 810 debacle and now Samsung will be producing the 820.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Back in the Android fold once again after I foolishly broke my Moto G 2014. Back with the superior 2015 model, only differences being bigger battery and 4G/LTE support, which is nice because I need some high speeds to burn through my 50gB a month :lol.

So I'm wondering, why can't you watch 60 FPS videos on YouTube anymore? If I watch through mobile site the quality is at 240p no matter what from the looks of it and the App doesn't even have the option.

However, it works just fine if I force the desktop page, it's dumb.

Also Lollipop is god damn amazing, coupled with the higher capacity battery in this thing I can go through a day without a single issue with heavy use

I read through the Android Wear update post and still have no idea why I would want an Android Wear watch or a smart watch in general. I mean, I want one, but I can't justify it. The update seems really minor, too. Moto and Google need to impress at I/O. Just give me a good reason and one that is more than just "playback controls on your wrist!".

I read through the Android Wear update post and still have no idea why I would want an Android Wear watch or a smart watch in general. I mean, I want one, but I can't justify it. The update seems really minor, too. Moto and Google need to impress at I/O. Just give me a good reason and one that is more than just "playback controls on your wrist!".

You aren't going to get that. Smartwatches should do a few things well: Tell the time (doh!), subtle notifications that allow you to decide whether you want to act on them and fitness functions (track distance run, heart monitor etc etc). A watch should be subtle and get out of the way, not try to be a phone replacement or something you're constantly interacting with. Wear has some usability/UI issues but doesn't require much more functionality.

Hardware wise, all Wear watches needs higher res screens, oled screens (if possible) and perhaps some additional sensors for fitness usage. That and they need to look as good as traditional watches. There's also the battery issue, we really need a breakthrough in battery tech to achieve that though.

Top Bottom