• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

this_guy

Launching a new flagship with last year's specs is laughable for LG, but I guess they are stuck with a shit year and are rightfully trying to get people to focus on the camera.

What phone last year had the 808?

CPU performance isn't a limiting factor in phones any more - pretty much all the flagships and most mid range phones are snappy enough nowadays. I'd prefer if the focus is on battery life and camera.

Quixzlizx

So OTA 5.1 just got pushed to my Nexus 4. The only person I've seen who's posted about it in this thread was raging that it bricked his phone. Are there any other impressions?

: \

Saiyan-Rox

5.1.1 also pushed to AOSP too

Maybe this release is why the N9 was absent in the 5.1 releases? Soon find out hopefully it starts appearing for other things soon. Just flashed it on my Nexus player gonna test if it has fixed the resolution thing now. fingers well and truely crossed.

EDIT: Nope still can't play content for shit. still distorted like crap

So OTA 5.1 just got pushed to my Nexus 4. The only person I've seen who's posted about it in this thread was raging that it bricked his phone. Are there any other impressions?

: \

Nexus devices are very hard to actually brick. Just make sure you're on a completely clean build and you'll be fine.

MercuryLS

Banned
I get a decent amount of reloading with light multitasking on my S6 Edge, why is that? There's obviously enough ram to handle keeping all of this in there. I didn't have this much reloading on the OPO, is there something I'm missing? Maybe some setting in developer options to reduce it happening?

What phone last year had the 808?

CPU performance isn't a limiting factor in phones any more - pretty much all the flagships and most mid range phones are snappy enough nowadays. I'd prefer if the focus is on battery life and camera.

Laggy Touchwiz phones besides the S6 say hello. Lets not forget the LG G Flex 2 and the nexus devices using 5.0 encryption as well.

I get a decent amount of reloading with light multitasking on my S6 Edge, why is that? There's obviously enough ram to handle keeping all of this in there. I didn't have this much reloading on the OPO, is there something I'm missing? Maybe some setting in developer options to reduce it happening?

Could be the 5.0 memory leak.

Husker86

Same here. More than on my Nexus 5 which also has Lollipop, and thus, the memory leak as well.

NotBacon

5.1.1?

itshappening.gif

Have you in this thread don't appreciate a classic time piece and general men's style to help represent yourself as an adult especially in a corporate setting.

Doesn't make it any less egregious.

Not everyone works in a "corporate" setting. If I wore a suit (or an expensive watch) to work I would look ridiculous. At work or not, I'm almost always in shorts and sandals with a random t-shirt. Based engineering sector.

I hope to hell it fixes my resolution playback issues

What's your exact setup?

Saiyan-Rox

5.1.1?

itshappening.gif

Not everyone works in a "corporate" setting. If I wore a suit (or an expensive watch) to work I would look ridiculous. At work or not, I'm almost always in shorts and sandals with a random t-shirt. Based engineering sector.

What's your exact setup?

What details are you looking?

NP hooked up to a 42" TV
Used a couple of casting apps All Cast and Local Cast to cast shows from Showbox and HD Cinema (I use em for TV shows mainly before anyone asks)
Playback on the Nexus player people's movements are really strange and there's distortion in the picture no matter what resolution it's supposed to be in especially noticeable around letters. In animated things however it's even more noticeable especially in movement.

I do the exact same things for my Chromecast which plays 100% fine with the same things so I don't understand why it's not working properly. Hell I even downloaded an episode straight onto the Nexus Player and it still played back in the same crappy way!

EDIT: forgot to mention I tried also installing the show apps themselves on the player to avoid casting and they still playback in the same manor so i'm stumped as GP movies, Youtube and netflix play fine.

AP posted the changelog of 5.1.1 and there's no mention of a memory fix apparently

Fix for a camera timeout on the Nexus 5 (5e1dad8) and Nexus 6 (2512496, 8766777)
Fix/improvement for a recent remote passthrough feature on Chromecast (32dcf56)
Several fixes for security issues (7be36a0, 36c9013, ac9da77)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...d-5-1-0_r5-lmy47o-to-android-5-1-1_r1-lmy47v/

On the S6: Is there a way to go from a lock screen notification to that app?

Also, is it possible to get the "connected to _____wifi" off of my notification panel?

MercuryLS

Banned
On the S6: Is there a way to go from a lock screen notification to that app?

Also, is it possible to get the "connected to _____wifi" off of my notification panel?

Tap the notification twice and unlock the phone (with a fingerprint if you have that enabled).

Not sure about the second part, I don't have any notification for connected Wi-Fi.

L.O.R.D

i just tried the VR cardbox on my m9
soo good , first time i use it
is there a way to connect the PS3 controller ?
i tried several method , but its not working on 5.0.2

So I've owned the S6 Edge for a few days and here are my impressions:

- Feels a bit sharp in the hand, can be annoying sometimes when holding it in portrait and landscape. It's more comfortable if you left your fingers anchor onto the edge rather than wrapping the phone tightly in your hand. I've gotten used to it, it's not too bad. On the plus side, the thin edges make the phone feel more secure in the hand, you've got something for your fingers to anchor on to.

- It's still a stunning phone to look at, easily the best looking and built phone I've owned.

- Edge swipes are smooth like butter, touch targets are on the edges are a bit tricky sometimes and other times it's not an issue. Weird.

- Some glare on the edges based on some lighting conditions, can be annoying but most content have margins so it usually doesn't interfere too much. Colour shifting at the edges is really slight on a white background, complete non issue unless you're looking for it.

- I don't know if it's how I registered my fingerprints, but the fingerprint scanner is a quite picky. Sometimes I can get in with a single touch, sometimes it takes several attempts or I have to shift my finger to a different position to get it to work. Partially covering the sensor usually gives you a fail too. I've gone through the registering process 3 times, the first two times didn't work well (lots of errors), the third time was better due to me focusing on how I orient my thumb during the process. Definitely not as slick as TouchID, but it's still good. Hopefully software updates make it better.

- The screen is amazing, full stop. I didn't realize how okish the OPO screen was till I compared the two. The colors, contrast, pixel density, viewing angles are unbelievably good.

- Can't really comment on battery life yet as I've mostly been using it indoors near a charger/wireless charging pad. It seems to drain at an average pace from what I've seen. It does charge unbelievably fast though, like a bit over 1 hour for a full charge and from low percentages it seems to charge like 1.5% per minute. I've never seen a phone charge this fast, the OPO charged quickly but this is even quicker. Wireless charging takes about double the time, works well for charging over night where a quick charge isn't important.

- Touchwiz is pretty nice on the S6, it looks a lot better than previous iterations of the software (more material design and flatness), many apps have been updated to this aesthetic like the dailer and messaging app but other apps haven't (calculator, music), hopefully they update every app over time. It runs very smoothly but can still hiccup sometimes and have to redraw, Flipboard briefing causes some of those but sometimes it can happen randomly with the app drawer. Overall it's good but there's room for improvement, it's not as smooth and bulletproof as stock Android or some other light OEM skins. Even though Touchwiz is scaled back and cleaned up visually, if you look in the ram usage, it still takes up a lot of ram.

- Haven't had a chance to use the camera extensively, tried some low light shots without flash and they came out a lot better than most phone cameras i've used in the past. Very little digital noise, nice colours and sharpness.

- Edge software is kinda useless. I keep forgetting that people edge is there. The night clock lights up the whole screen so it's useless too (I'm guessing this is a bug since the info stream doesn't do this, if they fix this then it'll be useful). Information stream for notifications and headlines has to be activated rubbing on the edge, why would I bother when I can just hit the home button and see notifications that way? The headlines are truncated, better to just unlock the phone and use a news reading app. Edge lighting is also useless, who's going to lay their phone facing down on a table?

- One minor thing for anti-case people like me, this phone sits very stable on a table due to the fact that the camera is mounted in the middle and it's large. Unless you push hard on the side of the screen, it doesn't rock back and forth like the iPhone 6 did.

Overall it's an amazing phone, if you're on the fence it would probably be wise to save the $100 and get the regular S6 IMO. The Edge is one super cool looking phone, but the Edges are double edged swords (lol), the introduce some more glare, color shifting and trickier handling. If you get the Edge, do it for the aesthetic appeal, not for any functional reason. Me personally, I'm going to stick with it. I like it, even with the downsides.

Edit: This post is way longer than I expected it to be, hopefully someone finds it useful.
I'm late, but thanks for the impressions! I always enjoy reading about people's experiences with things.

MercuryLS

Banned
For any Canadians out there that visit Second Cup a lot, try out their app. It's one of the best designed apps I've ever used. Just wonderful use of material design principles and very well laid out and designed. I love how much apps have evolved over time when it comes to design, compare what we have now to the stuff in the late 00's, it's crazy.

MercuryLS

Banned
my friend just upgraded from an S3 to S6, that's quite a leap lol

To this day I'll never understand why the S3 was such a big hit. Was it the screen size? Man I hated that phone, the screen was ugly, the design was cheap slippery shiny plastic, the dimensions were just weird, touchwiz was ugly and slow. That is a massive leap for sure.

Hasney

To this day I'll never understand why the S3 was such a big hit. Was it the screen size? Man I hated that phone, the screen was ugly, the design was cheap slippery shiny plastic, the dimensions were just weird, touchwiz was ugly and slow. That is a massive leap for sure.

I'll never understand why I bought into the 4 hype. Still ugly and although I'm a weirdo who prefers a plastic backed phone, it was cheap shitty plastic feeling unlike the nice plastic you get on a Nexus 6 or Lumia phone.

Toki767

At the time, it was the screen size, resolution, ergonomic feel of the phone, and most importantly, it was marketed to hell by Samsung.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'll never understand why I bought into the 4 hype. Still ugly and although I'm a wee Rd who prefers a plastic backed phone, it was cheap shitty plastic feeling unlike the nice plastic you get on a Nexus 6 or Lumia phone.

I'm not completely against plastic phones, like you said Moto and Nokia do them well. Samsung normally does them really badly (except on the Alpha and Note 4).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I work for an engineering firm. We just don't dress like we just woke up and have 5 mins to make our 1 PM class we scheduled in the afternoon cause we know we sleep in like college n00bs.

TTOOLL

For Moto X owners: Do you use Moto Display or Ambient Display? Why?
I've had the Moto X since Saturday and I love it, big upgrade from my Xperia ZL. Moto display would be perfect if the unlock animation wasn't so bad. =(

For Moto X owners: Do you use Moto Display or Ambient Display? Why?
I've had the Moto X since Saturday and I love it, big upgrade from my Xperia ZL. Moto display would be perfect if the unlock animation wasn't so bad. =(

When I was using my Moto X I used Moto Display. It didn't seem like ambient display worked that well. Alot of the times the screen wouldn't even light up. Moto Display is 100% fine and really good. Wish I could have it on my S6.

TTOOLL

When I was using my Moto X I used Moto Display. It didn't seem like ambient display worked that well. Alot of the times the screen wouldn't even light up. Moto Display is 100% fine and really good. Wish I could have it on my S6.

It is great, maybe I'm wrong but I think it was made first for kitkat first, hence the terrible animations.

I work for an engineering firm. We just don't dress like we just woke up and have 5 mins to make our 1 PM class we scheduled in the afternoon cause we know we sleep in like college n00bs.

Are you seriously talking down on laid back culture? Get with the times. I lived in Austin Texas for a while and every startup I worked for had awesome culture which included wearing shorts and flip flops to work. Being this relaxed really showed in the employees' work ethic and attitude. In other words all these companies did really well.

The tradional business casual doesn't even exist in the startup world anymore for good reason. If you're at small-med company these days and you have a stale ass dress code.... A. You see clients often and want to look presentable for them. B. Your culture is out of date and sucks.

Quixzlizx

Anyone know whether pinger is a legit app? Seems to need a lot of permissions, so I figured I'd ask.

Edit: The full app name is Pinger Textfree.

My N7 '13 just got the 5.1 update. Went fine.

Guess I'll go for it. What's the best way to backup a non-rooted phone?

After posting that, I also read that Samsungs 14nm isn't "real" 14nm and only Intels is. I have no idea what this means, but I read "Samsung and TSMC basically took their 20nm process and added finfets to it and called in 16nm/14nm but its not real 16/14nm intels is actually real.".

So yeah, there's that.
Was that written before the die analysis that shows the die size?

Jzero

I read through the Android Wear update post and still have no idea why I would want an Android Wear watch or a smart watch in general. I mean, I want one, but I can't justify it. The update seems really minor, too. Moto and Google need to impress at I/O. Just give me a good reason and one that is more than just "playback controls on your wrist!".
If you don't need one then don't buy one, it wasn't made for you. It's like saying "A lot of women are buying tampons but I don't know why I would want one myself" Obviously a shit example but I can't think of anything better.

The battery really does suck on smart watches though, I want a Moto 360 v.2 already

Fairly sure there aren't that many people even buying the damn things, and it still doesn't mean you don't look like a 15 yo dork with this gadget on your wrist.

Save up some cash. Go to a jewelry store and pick out say a Breitling or Omega and throw down some cash on something that looks nice and fits your wrist well in terms of size and style. Wear it and look like your 35. Take care of it, and it will last your life while becoming an heirloom for your kids.
LOL

the only thing worse than a smartwatch is a dumbwatch

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Are you seriously talking down on laid back culture? Get with the times. I lived in Austin Texas for a while and every startup I worked for had awesome culture which included wearing shorts and flip flops to work. Being this relaxed really showed in the employees' work ethic and attitude. In other words all these companies did really well.

The tradional business casual doesn't even exist in the startup world anymore for good reason. If you're at small-med company these days and you have a stale ass dress code.... A. You see clients often and want to look presentable for them. B. Your culture is out of date and sucks.

I said I worked for an engineering firm.

WTF are we talking about start ups for unless you're one of those people that try to pass yourself off as a software "engineer" which is the biggest crock of shit this century. Fucking every software dev wants to fucking call themselves a fucking engineer these days.

WTF are we talking about start ups for unless you're one of those people that try to pass yourself off as a software "engineer" which is the biggest crock of shit this century. Fucking every software dev wants to fucking call themselves a fucking engineer these days.
You aren't one of those snotty engineers that go around telling everybody you're an engineer and looking down upon people who you don't qualify as being an engineer are you?

I mentioned startups bc they can set an example of what we can expect of employers in the future. Hence them being new companies they get to try new things and see if they work more easily (like no dress code). And my only point was that its stupid to make fun of said culture.

But thanks for letting us know you have a huge problem with developers that call themselves engineers. Especially on a forum that had a large user base of developers. Is there anything else you hate that you want to rant about? Our almighty engineer.

Edit: Oh and here's a quick piece of information for you. Ya know the guys that make Android? Their titles are software engineer, but they must be a crock of shit too.

Shocking. I never would have pegged someone with your amazing social skills as an engineer. ;)

Top Bottom