• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GPS apps really kill the battery - from 90% to 4% inside 2 hours. Although I was also streaming podcasts OTA via Bluetooth.

Still trying to figure out which GPS app I like - what are your favourites and why?

Sygic is quite nice - I like the inset view showing which lane you should be in - but it doesn't seem to have any traffic info or routing to avoid, unless I'm missing a setting somewhere.

Copilot is a little frustrating to find a destination, quite rigid in asking for a town first, then a street and then a number. But the navigation view is clear and it has great lane guidance at major junctions, with renders of the road signs almost how they look in real life so it is easy to figure out where to go. And I like how it shows the turn after next if they are in quick succession.

Tom Tom go has a nice 'a-b timeline' thing on the right of the screen which shows where traffic might be queuing, and also has decent lane guidance.

Not tried Here maps or Google maps yet, or waze.

Grrr bought a note 4 in December used on craigslist now today it is blocked cause the original owner didn't make payments and cancelled his account. Apparently nothing I can do either. Wonder how much I can sell this thing for...

jokkir

What do you guys think of getting a Moto E 2nd gen (LTE version) as a dedicated mp3 player and camera with my QX100.

It would be great with the bump up in battery life compared to my Nexus 4, I think and would be in Airplane Mode all the time so the battery life would be even longer.

Toki767

What do you guys think of getting a Moto E 2nd gen (LTE version) as a dedicated mp3 player and camera with my QX100.

It would be great with the bump up in battery life compared to my Nexus 4, I think and would be in Airplane Mode all the time so the battery life would be even longer.

How much is a Moto E?

FireCloud

GPS apps really kill the battery - from 90% to 4% inside 2 hours. Although I was also streaming podcasts OTA via Bluetooth.

Still trying to figure out which GPS app I like - what are your favourites and why?

Well, I can't speak to the others because I've always used Google Maps but they've added lane guidance and real time alternate route EST indicators within the last couple of updates.

I wish there was a "find along route" option (if it's there I've missed it) that would allow you to enter your destination and start navigating. Then if you need to get some gas or something to eat, you could search for those things along your route to see how much farther you would need to go to get to one of them. Instead of doing a gas station search that takes you off your desired route.

I have one but the camera isn't great except for bright daylight shots. Battery life is great though. The sound quality is good too. At least to my ears.

How much is a Moto E?

Cricket had them for $80 earlier in the month. $149 unlocked on motorola's website for LTE version, which has the better processor over 3G.

MarkusRJR

My friend is looking to upgrade from an S3 (yay 3 year contracts!). She wants to avoid Samsung since her phone apparently turned to complete dogshit after the first year. She seems to like the Moto X and the HTC One M9, but was worried about the battery life (I use a Moto G 2nd gen and it gets me a single hour and a half of on screen time). Which of the phones would be a better option? She seems pretty insistent on good battery and being lag free her two key things she looking for.

I'm having a weird issue and I'm not sure if it's a bug or what.

When I go to settings > apps and move apps to my SD card, the app no longer shows its logo or proper name. This is just in settings and some other places. Everything looks normal on the home screen. For example, after moving firefox, it displays the generic android logo and org.mozilla.firefox. It's annoying when I click a link and I'm presented with a list of apps to use to open it, and I have to figure out which app is what.

I hope I explained that well. Weird issue.

this_guy

My friend is looking to upgrade from an S3 (yay 3 year contracts!). She wants to avoid Samsung since her phone apparently turned to complete dogshit after the first year. She seems to like the Moto X and the HTC One M9, but was worried about the battery life (I use a Moto G 2nd gen and it gets me a single hour and a half of on screen time). Which of the phones would be a better option? She seems pretty insistent on good battery and being lag free her two key things she looking for.

Definitely not the Moto X if battery life is a priority. I have a 2014 Moto X and average around 2.5 hours of screen time. Battery life is on par with phones from the Galaxy S3 generation of phones. Also, after getting the lollipop update my phone reboots once every day or two.

jokkir

How much is a Moto E?

$150 outright but I'll be getting it for 0$ from my carrier. No contract, just a tab.

I have one but the camera isn't great except for bright daylight shots. Battery life is great though. The sound quality is good too. At least to my ears.

I won't be using the camera at all. I have a lens style camera you attach to your smartphone and would be using that instead. I figured it would be better to use the Moto E as a machine just dedicated to it.

$150 outright but I'll be getting it for 0$ from my carrier. No contract, just a tab.

I won't be using the camera at all. I have a lens style camera you attach to your smartphone and would be using that instead. I figured it would be better to use the Moto E as a machine just dedicated to it.
oic, battery life is very good. Not a very high res screen but that helps keep the battery life long.

yogloo

Anyone know why 5.0 drains the battery so badly with Android OS?

My Note 4 had amazing battery life before updating to lollipop and now it isn't so great. Im pretty disappointed with it. Is there anything I could do to fix this aside from factory resetting back down to 4.4.4?
Gservicefix on the market. There is a bug that caused google services to go crazy and keep the phone out of deep sleep.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'm having a weird issue and I'm not sure if it's a bug or what.

When I go to settings > apps and move apps to my SD card, the app no longer shows its logo or proper name. This is just in settings and some other places. Everything looks normal on the home screen. For example, after moving firefox, it displays the generic android logo and org.mozilla.firefox. It's annoying when I click a link and I'm presented with a list of apps to use to open it, and I have to figure out which app is what.

I hope I explained that well. Weird issue.

Ive had that before until I reboot the phone. It's almost as if it forgets to reindex the app.

Ive had that before until I reboot the phone. It's almost as if it forgets to reindex the app.
Rebooting doesn't work for me :/. Here's a screen shot:

HTN5J4g.jpg

RuGalz

Google map regularly because Google already know too much about me which makes searching and what not quickly.

Here map when I'm off the cell grid because of offline mode with navigation and POI, free and freaking fast compared to other free apps.

GPS drain my battery like crazy, but I bought an Amazon USB car charger and it's amazing.

I tried waze and I didn't like it, I thought it was too confusing and doesn't react fast enough.

I downloaded Nokia here just in case I run out of cellular data or go to another country. I haven't tried it yet but I read some good reviews.

I regularly use Google maps and I love it, it's fast, accurate and the real time up to date direction is great, bonus points to the voice guide too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I would much rather get last years or the year before's flagship phone for like 200-300 bucks, then buy something like the Moto E, G, or any other budget phone.

My next phone will be a Huawei.
Yeah, just like Apple, I would rather have last years flag ship over a new model budget phone.

Signed up for Google Fi. The global plan is what's great about it. But I doubt 99% of others here travel like I do.

kharma45

Yeah, just like Apple, I would rather have last years flag ship over a new model budget phone.

Signed up for Google Fi. The global plan is what's great about it. But I doubt 99% of others here travel like I do.

Price on it seems shit vs what you can get with Three in the UK on a SIM only deal. Their free roaming might not be as wide ranging but it's about half the price for their plans with unlimited 4G.

SimleuqiR

Nice. Definitely what to hear your opinion once you start using it.

catmincer

Huawei phones are actually nice. I am using a p7 at the moment to try out. I find the emotion ui a bit heavy handed especially versus Sony's customisations. However the build quality, screen and design overall are surprisingly good and it cost me 60% less than a Z3 would have.

The camera is also really good, I wasn't expecting much at all but it's probably better than the z2 especily in low light, colours are much more accurate.

Would buy Huawei nexus. Least it'd be a decent price.

NotBacon

Ooooooooooooh, just might jump on the Fi train. Gonna have to weigh the pros and cons b/c I'm already on that T-Mo $30 train....

Reven

I'm thinking about joining Fi. I was planning to just go get the S6 on Verizon since my contract with them is over but I'm on a family plan with my dad who is still under contract. The Fi seems a good deal for me because I'm on wifi 90% of the time and I like the Nexus 6 anyway. I was gonna get that or the Z3 before the S6 came out.

Kaladin

How is the Samsung Galaxy Avant as far as budget phones go?

Reviews seem to be good, and I'm okay with Samsung's Android features.

My fiance needed a cheap phone replacement recently and that's the best I could come up with in her price range.

My fiance needed a cheap phone replacement recently and that's the best I could come up with in her price range.

How much is the Avant? Samsung low end phones are synonymous with shit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Price on it seems shit vs what you can get with Three in the UK on a SIM only deal. Their free roaming might not be as wide ranging but it's about half the price for their plans with unlimited 4G.
Three has global data roaming? Included in your plan?

yeah what's the price, there are probably much better options.

Kaladin

How much is the Avant? Samsung low end phones are synonymous with shit.

yeah what's the price, there are probably much better options.

Around $160 after the discount T-Mobile has today. Best I could find in the ~$150 price range, at least on T-Mobile.

Also needed to select a phone from the T-Mobile store, as their monthly installments was the only way we could get a phone asap. So the Moto G was out.

Kaladin

There's a newer Moto E 2015.
Also: specs aren't always the whole picture.

Still seems comparable.....though the newer version has a better processor.

We both enjoy the experience on the S5 I have, so Samsung's Android flavor isn't an issue. I've also read plenty of positive reviews.

Based on that, I feel confident it will be a good phone.

Grrr bought a note 4 in December used on craigslist now today it is blocked cause the original owner didn't make payments and cancelled his account. Apparently nothing I can do either. Wonder how much I can sell this thing for...
what carriers do that? i know they would do it shortly after, but months later after its been act5ive on a different account for rmonths?

NotBacon

Still seems comparable.....though the newer version has a better processor.

We both enjoy the experience on the S5 I have, so Samsung's Android flavor isn't an issue. I've also read plenty of positive reviews.

Based on that, I feel confident it will be a good phone.

Samsung's low-end phones aren't exactly comparable with their flagships, but I'm sure she will be happy with either phone, so go for it.

Top Bottom