• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

RuGalz

Quick Shot feature on the G4 seems pretty cool. Everything else might be basically garbage though.

Double pressing the volume down button to take a picture without the camera app being open even when the phone is locked is pretty smart. Just gotta make sure you're aiming the phone correctly since you're seeing it blind.

I'd love to have that on my phone. I do blind shot often enough with my dslr to catch candid shots.

Toki767

I think this is pretty dumb too though because you won't be able to frame or even know if you're getting the shot.

I'm hoping LG thought of that too. At the least, the auto-focus part. It's probably more along the lines of something you have to get used to by trial and error though.

MercuryLS

Banned
Getting the shot as in you're taking a picture of what you want to be taking a picture of not actually having the camera taking a photo of something.

So just open up the camera app then? I don't see what the issue is. Is this another one of those complaining about something you don't have to use or can most likely turn off?

Why didn't Samsung always use their own SOC's? Exynos 7420 in the S6 is great, powerful and efficient. The phone rarely gets warm and it's blazing fast.

They started using SD in the USA cause of the integrated LTE modem. They still used Exynos pretty much every where else.

So just open up the camera app then? I don't see what the issue is. Is this another one of those complaining about something you don't have to use or can most likely turn off?

My point is that video showed a bunch of features and none of them seem useful. If that's what LG thinks are selling points, it's not putting a lot of faith in me what they're focused on delivering. Blind shot feels just as useless as auto generating tones for people.

My point is that video showed a bunch of features and none of them seem useful. If that's what LG thinks are selling points, it's not putting a lot of faith in me what they're focused on delivering. Blind shot feels just as useless as auto generating tones for people.

Well at this point there's very few things any OEM can do to differentiate. A lot of things are going to be gimmicks that most people won't use. Think of all the OEMs in the past year and what have any of them contributed to their software that isn't a gimmick or useless?

RuGalz

Didn't they pass the law that you should be able to unlock the phone through carrier in the US? I had bought AT&T phone and asked my friend on AT&T to unlock it for me before.

ukas

Even then the 32gb Edge should be $750 USD with carriers, this basically makes it the same price (when you factor into the cost for unlocking the phone).

Minus the carrier bloat and usually faster updates since it's carrier agnostic as well.

Copped a mint t-mobile note 4 w/ 6 spigen cases for 500 off swappa. Don't even care about whats coming out, and if I do later on, I'll move up.

All that shit Ive talked about touchwiz and it finally got me. Where my note 4 brehs at?

fuck you if you say in the note 4 OT

MercuryLS

Banned
Copped a mint t-mobile note 4 w/ 6 spigen cases for 500 off swappa. Don't even care about whats coming out, and if I do later on, I'll move up.

All that shit Ive talked about touchwiz and it finally got me. Where my note 4 brehs at?

fuck you if you say in the note 4 OT

I could never look at pre-S6 phones due to Touchwiz, I mean it's really ugly, but S6's Touchwiz is really quite nice looking, the dailer app in particular is the prettiest dealer I've ever used. It's just so clean, smooth, sharp, clutter free and has nice animations. It's too bad they didn't back port this awesome skin to previous phones. Note 5 will be pretty amazing if it takes design cues from this phone for both the hardware and software.

Note 4 is a great phone but my condolences with having to use that version of Touchwiz.

I could never look at pre-S6 phones due to Touchwiz, I mean it's really ugly, but S6's Touchwiz is really quite nice looking, the dailer app in particular is the prettiest dealer I've ever used. It's just so clean, smooth, sharp, clutter free and has nice animations. It's too bad they didn't back port this awesome skin to previous phones. Note 5 will be pretty amazing if it takes design cues from this phone for both the hardware and software.

Note 4 is a great phone but my condolences with having to use that version of Touchwiz.

hah, I'll make it somehow. There's reports N4 will get the S6 UI soon, so we'll see. I'll be using nova launcher to avoid some of the jank. I wanted good battery life from a reliable (hardware) OEM and there ain't much out there. Kept trying to justify a nexus 6 and just couldn't. Maybe next time google.

One thing for sure is I couldn't look at this damn m7 for another day knowing that it wasn't being assigned to strictly TV remote status

Google earnings: They have seen a decline in Nexus in recent months:

Other revenues grew 23 percent year over year to $1.8 billion, but were down 2 percent quarter over quarter, driven really by year over year growth in the Play Store, offset by decline in Nexus, and the currency fluctuations. Year over year it hasn’t been as strong given the strength of the Nexus 7 last year.

Goes from 350 to 650 (750 in some areas) and goes from normal phone to bigger than most phablets. Meanwhile Nexus 9 was expensive too. No shit lol.

Hopefully they have their head on straight this year and learned from the mistakes.

hah, I'll make it somehow. There's reports N4 will get the S6 UI soon, so we'll see. I'll be using nova launcher to avoid some of the jank. I wanted good battery life from a reliable (hardware) OEM and there ain't much out there. Kept trying to justify a nexus 6 and just couldn't. Maybe next time google.

One thing for sure is I couldn't look at this damn m7 for another day knowing that it wasn't being assigned to strictly TV remote status

don't get your hopes up. Samsung has never dome that.

i know, i know, "but nobody thought they would remove SD cards and seal in batteries" right? don't get your hopes up.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Nexus 6 will sell amazing because it's on all carriers. Guys, you will be so wrong. Google knows they have to get on carriers. See, they can't even keep the phone in stock. Premium price for a premium experience.

The Nexus 6 will sell amazing because it's on all carriers. Guys, you will be so wrong. Google knows they have to get on carriers. See, they can't even keep the phone in stock. Premium price for a premium experience.
hahahaa good times good times. In the end all they did was take an already niche device line in the Nexus and make it even more niche by making it huge as fuck with a big price tag to match. Same for Nex9 and that price tag.

It's like releasing a niche waifu simulator on xbox one. That aint where your audience is and what it's looking for.

Honestly, I feel like Google lost a lot of momentum with Android and Nexus this year. But that's just me.
was an off year for them. Lollipop didn't stick the landing and the nexus devices were pretty ridiculous. And yes people who like their nexus 6s (the now confirmed few) will say they are happy, and I'm happy with my nex9 but shit is shit.

I used to think it was cool that Google could update the functionality of Android through pushed background updates but ever since they broke my phone without me knowing, fuck that. I want control over when my phone updates. I really hate that Google can break my phone and I have no say over it.

Now see it from a dev perspective. When that apps breaks others apps and nothing you can do about it and people leave you bad ratings because your app isn't working because of something you have no control over. Like I've gotten a bunch of bad ratings today from HTC One m8 users because whatever Google Play Service update was recently pushed to their device broke every app using the service.

SimleuqiR

15%2B-%2B1

Thanks base Google.

Nexus 5

Hasney

Google earnings: They have seen a decline in Nexus in recent months:

Goes from 350 to 650 (750 in some areas) and goes from normal phone to bigger than most phablets. Meanwhile Nexus 9 was expensive too. No shit lol.

Hopefully they have their head on straight this year and learned from the mistakes.

The price was dumb, the size isn't.

Smart choice would be to do a smaller one next year then a big one again the year after and find a way to bring the price back down. The 6 Plus and the Note are selling well by all accounts even if their smaller versions are selling better, so there's a market for both. No way should they be doing 2 phones a year though.

BraXzy

Can someone help me figure this out? It's driving me mad.

I'm trying to make use of the Amazon coin promotion with Hearthstone, so I've downloaded the Amazon App Store and I just tried to install Hearthstone, it downloads fine and then after trying to install for awhile it just comes up with X "Application not installed"

Why?!

I've tried multiple times, I've cleared the data on my download manager and reinstalled the amazon app.. I dunno what to do :S

Furyous

wait wait wait

S6 Edge is 1000 dollars?

fucking hell

Samsung finally went further than Apple. The only iPhone that costs that much is the 6S. CONFIRMED: Android receives dat Samsung tax.

That's $1000 for the entry level version. Imagine the cost of the 64 and 128 GB versions. Samsung could easily surpass Apple on margins alone. Either way this Apple sheep/overpriced smartphone argument just ended with this unlocked price.

The price was dumb, the size isn't.

Smart choice would be to do a smaller one next year then a big one again the year after and find a way to bring the price back down. The 6 Plus and the Note are selling well by all accounts even if their smaller versions are selling better, so there's a market for both. No way should they be doing 2 phones a year though.
I think it's dumb because when you're trying to get a device in as many hands as possible, logically and business wise you pick the one that more people go want and would suit more people's lifestyles. I agree every phone manufacturer should have two sizes but I'd rather them be sold together than 1 year at a time.

Top Bottom