• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

NotBacon

I said I worked for an engineering firm.

WTF are we talking about start ups for unless you're one of those people that try to pass yourself off as a software "engineer" which is the biggest crock of shit this century. Fucking every software dev wants to fucking call themselves a fucking engineer these days.

Depends.
There are a bunch of software "engineers" that just scrape together bits of code to make websites, or just design UI and such...
Then there are actual software engineers who went through engineering school, know how to optimize heavy algorithms, design new protocols, integrate microprocessors with circuits and write the code for it, adhere to IEEE standards, etc.

Bottom line: I agree with you, there are too many software "engineers", but don't paint all people who develop software with the same brush.

Maybe this was posted already but MBKHD posted his review for the S6. He makes the best best reviews imo so it's always a good watch if you're on the fence or you just like watching random reviews which I'm sure most of us do.

Results are what you'd expect. Great phone, doesn't really like the glass/battery life too much. Arguably best android phone etc etc

jey_16

Banned
Is the battery life on the S6 that bad? I'm about to pull the trigger but I'm reading some posts saying battery life is not good

Any other phones with a similar screen size with better battery life? Z3C is meant to be good but 4.7inches is too small and the Note 4 is too big

asdad123

Is the battery life on the S6 that bad? I'm about to pull the trigger but I'm reading some posts saying battery life is not good

Any other phones with a similar screen size with better battery life? Z3C is meant to be good but 4.7inches is too small and the Note 4 is too big

Why not just the regular Z3 if you think the Z3 Compact is too small?

it's not bad according to all reviews it's just average. Meaning some days you'll get shitty battery life and some days you'll get by ok. Sometimes it may even be good.

Z3 compact is an awesome size. Bless its soul.

jey_16

Banned
it's not bad according to all reviews it's just average. Meaning some days you'll get shitty battery life and some days you'll get by ok. Sometimes it may even be good.

Z3 compact is an awesome size. Bless its soul.

Nearly all my use is 4g browsing, don't do much else.

The battery life on my G3 has gone to shit recently, don't know if its chrome but its awful.

Just want to know if the S6 will get me through the day

Nearly all my use is 4g browsing, don't do much else.

The battery life on my G3 has gone to shit recently, don't know if its chrome but its awful.

Just want to know if the S6 will get me through the day
like always, it depends on usage. The G3 should have much better battery than the S6 so either something is wrong with your phone or you're a heavy user.

There is quick charging though so that's a thing.

probably already been covered but has there been discussion here of battery life on the G2 with lollipop installed?

a coworker is having major issues and i want help him fix the problem.

is there a way to revert back to the previous version?

So the 5.1 soak test for the Moto X 2013 is out.....why is that a higher priority than the Droid Turbo? Motorola is confusing.

1. The soak test is happening in Brazil, the Turbo is a US phone
2. The turbo is a carrier phone, the Moto X in soak in an unlocked phone.
3. The turbo is a verizon made phone. They have just as much control over the software as Motorola which leads to longer update process.

So looks like Google Play Services update is broke for a lot of people. I've gotten 2 emails (from HTC One m8 users) saying my app no longer opens but they then discover NO apps using Google Play Services will open anymore.The comments are brutal:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms&hl=en
I used to think it was cool that Google could update the functionality of Android through pushed background updates but ever since they broke my phone without me knowing, fuck that. I want control over when my phone updates. I really hate that Google can break my phone and I have no say over it.

I used to think it was cool that Google could update the functionality of Android through pushed background updates but ever since they broke my phone without me knowing, fuck that. I want control over when my phone updates. I really hate that Google can break my phone and I have no say over it.

I have Kotor for android which rarely gets updates. Today it had one that said it was fixed to work with the new play services.

Geez google... Congrats to Aspyr Media for getting it fixed so quick.

I have Kotor for android which rarely gets updates. Today it had one that said it was fixed to work with the new play services.

Geez google... Congrats to Aspyr Media for getting it fixed so quick.

According to comments in that app the update didn't fix it for some people. I don't have an issue on my note 4 but some can't open any apps that use Google play services.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
xiaomi-mi-4i-official-710x710.png

1080p 5" Display
Snap 615
2 gig RAM
13MP Camera
16 storage
3,120 mAh
$200

Vanillalite

That's the exact kind of budget phone we've all wanted for years though. Full HD screen, 2 gigs of RAM, and a decent processor.

It murders the Moto E.

1. The soak test is happening in Brazil, the Turbo is a US phone
2. The turbo is a carrier phone, the Moto X in soak in an unlocked phone.
3. The turbo is a verizon made phone. They have just as much control over the software as Motorola which leads to longer update process.

Even then you'd think the international variant, the moto maxx, would have gotten a soak test. Literally not a peep about the update when every other phone released in the same time frame has been bumped to lollipop.

jey_16

Banned
You mean the Z4 that's exclusive to Japan?

who know with Sony any more...the Z4 might get an international release in May and then there might be another flagship in September. Doesn't really give you much confidence when buying a Sony phone

at least with Samsung, you know the S7 won't be coming out for another year

Vanillalite

Honestly I wouldn't even want a spec bump over that if Google could deliver on that price off contract. 2 gigs on a FHD screen is fine (outside of software mem problems), and in general that processor would be fine for 99% of the things people do as well. It's essentially a faster Nexus 7 in a 5" phone factor for basically the same price.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Honestly I wouldn't even want a spec bump over that if Google could deliver on that price off contract. 2 gigs on a FHD screen is fine (outside of software mem problems), and in general that processor would be fine for 99% of the things people do as well. It's essentially a faster Nexus 7 in a 5" phone factor for basically the same price.
What's the point of a dev phone, then, if it isn't running flagship hardware?

RuGalz

1080p 5" Display
Snap 615
2 gig RAM
13MP Camera
16 storage
3,120 mAh
$200

I can't wait for these Chinese manufactures to fill in the Nexus spot in the US. I'm perfectly fine with a FHD screen on 5" phone. Consider that they will be inexpensive, they should be pretty popular (and popular phones tend to be more stable with custom roms to alleviate any lack of software update concerns).

Toki767

Quick Shot feature on the G4 seems pretty cool. Everything else might be basically garbage though.

Double pressing the volume down button to take a picture without the camera app being open even when the phone is locked is pretty smart. Just gotta make sure you're aiming the phone correctly since you're seeing it blind.

Groof

Quick Shot feature on the G4 seems pretty cool. Everything else might be basically garbage though.

Double pressing the volume down button to take a picture without the camera app being open even when the phone is locked is pretty smart. Just gotta make sure you're aiming the phone correctly since you're seeing it blind.

LG - pioneering creep shots since 2015

dorikyasu

So OTA 5.1 just got pushed to my Nexus 4. The only person I've seen who's posted about it in this thread was raging that it bricked his phone. Are there any other impressions?

: \
Updated my Nexus 4 to 5.1 via OTA yesterday afternoon. So far no issues. Boot up from shutdown appeared to be bit faster than before, but other than that not seeing anything really different.
Update process took close to 30 minutes for me though.

Talon

lol - are they really touting contact-specific ringtones? Welcome to 2010.

I think this is pretty dumb too though because you won't be able to frame or even know if you're getting the shot.

Top Bottom