• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Can someone help me figure this out? It's driving me mad.

I'm trying to make use of the Amazon coin promotion with Hearthstone, so I've downloaded the Amazon App Store and I just tried to install Hearthstone, it downloads fine and then after trying to install for awhile it just comes up with X "Application not installed"

Why?!

I've tried multiple times, I've cleared the data on my download manager and reinstalled the amazon app.. I dunno what to do :S

Do you have enough space on your phone I guess is the first question I'd ask?

Samsung finally went further than Apple. The only iPhone that costs that much is the 6S. CONFIRMED: Android receives dat Samsung tax.

That's $1000 for the entry level version. Imagine the cost of the 64 and 128 GB versions. Samsung could easily surpass Apple on margins alone. Either way this Apple sheep/overpriced smartphone argument just ended with this unlocked price.

128GB Edge is $959.83 outright on T-Mobile and they promise to respond to unlock requests within two business days.

128GB 6+ is $949.99

Furyous

128GB Edge is $959.83 outright on T-Mobile and they promise to respond to unlock requests within two business days.

128GB 6+ is $949.99

That's a $10 difference. Wait, the international unlocked price of an S6 Edge is $1000 without a discount and so the 128 GB version has to be higher counting taxes and buying it off say Amazon.

Off to the google, BRB.

So, yeah it's $1400 factory unlocked on Amazon.
The version I want does not contain any bloatware whatsoever so I need the factory unlocked version, screw a T-Mobile.

Hopefully, I/O brings some good news. Where are the I/O rumors?

Google earnings: They have seen a decline in Nexus in recent months:

Goes from 350 to 650 (750 in some areas) and goes from normal phone to bigger than most phablets. Meanwhile Nexus 9 was expensive too. No shit lol.

Hopefully they have their head on straight this year and learned from the mistakes.
No point in trying to compete against the Chinese in the cheap phone market, they'll lose no matter what and it devaluates the brand. Google will probably just concentrate on making a tablet worth buying.

No point in trying to compete against the Chinese in the cheap phone market, they'll lose no matter what and it devaluates the brand. Google will probably just concentrate on making a tablet worth buying.
until the chinese can do what they're doing worldwide in NA, google can go buckwild. And even when they can't they'll just use the chinese (like huawei) to make their nexus phones and join them.

That's a $10 difference. Wait, the international unlocked price of an S6 Edge is $1000 without a discount and so the 128 GB version has to be higher counting taxes and buying it off say Amazon.

Off to the google, BRB.

So, yeah it's $1400 factory unlocked on Amazon.
The version I want does not contain any bloatware whatsoever so I need the factory unlocked version, screw a T-Mobile.

Hopefully, I/O brings some good news. Where are the I/O rumors?

well, i mean, if you wanna pay $440 more to avoid having a handful of T-Mobile apps, what can i say?

NotBacon

The Nexus 6 will sell amazing because it's on all carriers. Guys, you will be so wrong. Google knows they have to get on carriers. See, they can't even keep the phone in stock. Premium price for a premium experience.

Dammit they fucked up so bad. Even wore is they half-assed it. They got it on all carriers, and then they didn't even have dedicated displays or advertisement or anything. The stock issues were the cherry on top. Goog needs to take a page from the Samsung playbook.

"Hey lets make a killer phone, raise the price a lot so we lose half the Nexus fanbase, and then destine it for failure by not stocking it or advertising it."
-Goog

Dammit they fucked up so bad. Even wore is they half-assed it. They got it on all carriers, and then they didn't even have dedicated displays or advertisement or anything. The stock issues were the cherry on top. Goog needs to take a page from the Samsung playbook.

"Hey lets make a killer phone, raise the price a lot so we lose half the Nexus fanbase, and then destine it for failure by not stocking it or advertising it."
-Goog

There is no evidence that Google cares about sales of Nexus like that. They aren't trying to compete with their OEMs and they aren't trying to become the next Apple or Samsung. Most of the time Googy just uses Nexus for experimenting on power users with new versions of Android, and they don't need to sell 50 million of them like the S6 to accomplish that.

Have they said when they're going to fix Trusted Places at home? I think I read something good about an update to the Play service that was supposed to fix the issue, but it still doesn't work.

Hasney

Have they said when they're going to fix Trusted Places at home? I think I read something good about an update to the Play service that was supposed to fix the issue, but it still doesn't work.

Play service broke everything for some peoples phones. It's a bigger fuck up than 5.0 right now.

Going back to Nexus conversations, yea, Google has to deliver solid this year or I am probably switching to S6.

I am hopeful because last year it sounded like they first wanted to kill Nexus line completely, but then decided to keep it and things were rushed.

Hasney

Going back to Nexus conversations, yea, Google has to deliver solid this year or I am probably switching to S6.

I am hopeful because last year it sounded like they first wanted to kill Nexus line completely, but then decided to keep it and things were rushed.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what Google could do this year. Release a phone with the same specs as a Nexus 6 but in a smaller frame? Have a phone that with everyones favourite chip, the 810?

The only thing that even makes sense to me other than taking a knee is getting Samsung to make the new one to at least get Exynos in there. Otherwise, a new Nexus phone could cap off a bad year for Android.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what Google could do this year. Release a phone with the same specs as a Nexus 6 but in a smaller frame? Have a phone that with everyones favourite chip, the 810?

The only thing that even makes sense to me other than taking a knee is getting Samsung to make the new one to at least get Exynos in there. Otherwise, a new Nexus phone could cap off a bad year for Android.

Release the S6 in stock Android I guess...

Maybe Qualcom will have fixed their shit. But Google needs a chip partner, maybe Samsung can provide chips for the next Nexus, we know they would never do the full phone.

I think they can reduce the frame, maybe make it 5.8 inches, better camera software and camera, better display...maybe it's just me but I think the N5 display was better than N6.

terrier

Google should release a new nexus 5 this year, and a substitute to N6 the year after.
A revisited N5 with slightly better specs (even SD805) with better camera and battery , and maybe fingerprint sensor could be great. One year renew flagship size the next one renew phablet ....

Release the S6 in stock Android I guess...

Maybe Qualcom will have fixed their shit. But Google needs a chip partner, maybe Samsung can provide chips for the next Nexus, we know they would never do the full phone.

I think they can reduce the frame, maybe make it 5.8 inches, better camera software and camera, better display...maybe it's just me but I think the N5 display was better than N6.

Nexus S6/S7

Hasney

Galaxy Nexus S6. True successor to the Galaxy Nexus.

Half the camera, half the battery, half the price, half the support.

None of the touchwiz.

I still wouldn't get it even if it was based on the note as support would be dealt with by Samsung. But it's the best option for Google for sure.

Fatalah

My friend is currently on MetroPCS and is satisfied with the service. He wants a new phone though, and I'm wondering if he could find a good phone deal and plan with another carrier. He's currently paying $40/month.

Any suggestions?

Hahahahha.

What.

yiaBD0v.png

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...148122,73.0570429,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Aw, I was really hoping someone had cut some grass to look like that.

Wouldn't that be great?

Speaking of great!

People have shown not to care about Google's 2014 Nexus line up, as Google reports a decline in Nexus revenue. Maybe focusing entirely on tablets was a bad idea after all.

"Revenues from the Play Store (and now Google Store) are such a small portion of Google's business that they're clumped into an "other revenues" category each quarter, but that doesn't stop the company from reporting how they impact the bottom line. In Q1 2015 the other revenues segment actually grew substantially, despite an actual decline in earnings from selling Nexus devices. Pichette said:

Other revenues grew 23 percent year-over-year to $1.8 billion, and was down 2 percent quarter-over-quarter, driven really by year-over-year growth in the Play Store, offset by decline in Nexus, and the [previously-stated] FX impact."

http://www.androidcentral.com/googles-q1-2015-other-revenues-segment-impacted-decline-nexus

Bring the Nexus 5 back and it will be forgiven, Google.

Wouldn't that be great?

Speaking of great!

People have shown not to care about Google's 2014 Nexus line up, as Google reports a decline in Nexus revenue. Maybe focusing entirely on tablets was a bad idea after all.

"Revenues from the Play Store (and now Google Store) are such a small portion of Google's business that they're clumped into an "other revenues" category each quarter, but that doesn't stop the company from reporting how they impact the bottom line. In Q1 2015 the other revenues segment actually grew substantially, despite an actual decline in earnings from selling Nexus devices. Pichette said:

Other revenues grew 23 percent year-over-year to $1.8 billion, and was down 2 percent quarter-over-quarter, driven really by year-over-year growth in the Play Store, offset by decline in Nexus, and the [previously-stated] FX impact."

http://www.androidcentral.com/googles-q1-2015-other-revenues-segment-impacted-decline-nexus

mmm I posted that a page ago and we all bashed google it was fun. But it deserves to be posted again. They messed up nexus so bad in every single way in 2014 lol.

This year we'll know for sure if they truly don't give a shit and try to pull the same stuff, or if they are paying attention to these kinds of things.

Hasney

There's no chance of recovery in 2015 though. If those Ars charts are anything to go by, the 810 in an M9 throttles to slower than the N5's 800 hilariously fast.

I said it earlier, but they just need to take a knee unless Samsung is involved this year.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Heh, played with a S6 and an S6 edge last night. They are excellent. The Edge is far better in hand, but the back glass edge is awful. I was getting the same rough glass edge feel as my iphone 4. With a bumper to smooth that out and the nicely rounded front edge it would be quite nice.

I kind of like the idea of the edge notifications, is there an app out there that can do that on other phones? Small edge popup by contact?

Mindwipe

Wouldn't that be great?

Speaking of great!

They specifically cite the Nexus 7 as being a good seller the year before, so I don't think it was so much the focus on "tablets" so much as larger handsets in all categories. I'm sure some people love the N6, but it's not very competitive in it's niche and is certainly not for lots of people.

The only hardware feature the N6 brought that was sort of unique was encryption, and they made a complete hash of that. The next gen has to do something like fingerprint scanning that drives Android.

Cheebo

Banned
As for the this years nexus line, I got both versions of the Nexus 7. Passed on Nexus 9. If they did another Nexus 7 last year I would have gotten it, no question. The key appeal of the Nexus line to me always was price.

They need to shift back to going to cheaper mid-range devices rather than expensive high-end devices. There is no market (outside of NotBacon) for the high-end higher priced Nexus devices.

It isn't a matter of marketing, there just isn't a market for these high-end Nexus devices at all. The market who is interested in high-end Android devices will get Samsung Galaxy phones, always.

Hasney

As for the this years nexus line, I got both versions of the Nexus 7. Passed on Nexus 9. If they did another Nexus 7 last year I would have gotten it, no question. The key appeal of the Nexus line to me always was price.

They need to shift back to going to cheaper mid-range devices rather than expensive high-end devices. There is no market (outside of NotBacon) for the high-end higher priced Nexus devices.

I agree with all of that. I love my Nexus 6 but there's no way I would have gotten it without the big carrier subsidies we enjoy in the UK.

Tablets.. Eh. I think both Android manufacturers and Apple are finding out that there isn't as much of a reason to upgrade one as often as you do with a phone. The last Nexus 7 was a great device (Lollipop support not withstanding) and if I don't think a new one would have offset much of the loss.

EDIT: The bit you added I don't agree with. Hell, I'll begrudgingly go back to iOS rather than ever deal with Samsung ever again. But I regard other manufacturers as high end products anyway as well as most of the Nexus 5 barring battery life. There's no market for a high-priced Nexus rather than Android.

MercuryLS

Banned
I agree with all of that. I love my Nexus 6 but there's no way I would have gotten it without the big carrier subsidies we enjoy in the UK.

Tablets.. Eh. I think both Android manufacturers and Apple are finding out that there isn't as much of a reason to upgrade one as often as you do with a phone. The last Nexus 7 was a great device (Lollipop support not withstanding) and if I don't think a new one would have offset much of the loss.

EDIT: The bit you added I don't agree with. Hell, I'll begrudgingly go back to iOS rather than ever deal with Samsung ever again. But I regard other manufacturers as high end products anyway as well as most of the Nexus 5 barring battery life. There's no market for a high-priced Nexus rather than Android.

You really need to try the S6, its so good. What did Sammy do to make you swear them off?

Hasney

You really need to try the S6, its so good. What did Sammy do to make you swear them off?

USB port broke in the S4 in warranty. Refused to replace it because some of the silver was scratched off the back logo so it was clearly my fault, but hey, that's what you get when you outsource your support to Capita. Luckily I think they've only done this in the UK, so I'm not sure what support is like elsewhere.

This was also after I got one of their 2006 range TVs which only lasted 3 years due to cheap shitty capacitors where no TV in that range lasted longer than 4 years (also some laptops around the same time I believe) and they refused to do anything about it until Watchdog over here got involved. I'd already got mine repaired by a third party and it lives to this day. A £30 repair job lasted longer than Samsung engineering.

There's no chance of recovery in 2015 though. If those Ars charts are anything to go by, the 810 in an M9 throttles to slower than the N5's 800 hilariously fast.

I said it earlier, but they just need to take a knee unless Samsung is involved this year.

808 is fine, or maybe it's coming out late enough to have an 820 or something. I'm not too fussed with this concern. I don't ever plan to keep nexus phones longer than a year the majority of the time so even an 808 is a-ok with me. Or maybe qualcomm will have gotten their shit together by then.

My concern isn't RAM or CPU. It's purely battery and size and pricing. Between the OP2/moto x 2015/nexus 2015 all i need is one of em to be decent.

Hasney

808 is fine, or maybe it's coming out late enough to have an 820 or something. I'm not too fussed with this concern. I don't ever plan to keep nexus phones longer than a year the majority of the time so even an 808 is a-ok with me. Or maybe qualcomm will have gotten their shit together by then.

My concern isn't RAM or CPU. It's purely battery and size and pricing. Between the OP2/moto x 2015/nexus 2015 all i need is one of em to be decent.

Fair enough, but it is likely that the 800 will be faster than the 808 since the latter is only dual core in the BIG part of it. An extra GB of RAM might help, but that depends if Google have gotten around to fixing the memory leak by then. The best 5" phone at that point might be the current Nexus 5 with a battery pack D:

Christ this has been a bad year. This Google Play services version is enough to make me want to ditch Android now. Rooted and gone back a version and frozen it from updates. It's taken at least an hour from my battery and caused the memory leak to go back to 5.0 levels. It's fucking insane.

Seems like every couple of pages people start to complain about Android and say they are about ready to swear it off.

Let's be honest, you'll be back, they always come back once they realize how dated ios feels.

Cheebo

Banned
Seems like every couple of pages people start to complain about Android and say they are about ready to swear it off.

Let's be honest, you'll be back, they always come back once they realize how dated ios feels.

Says you! Everyone in this thread is clearly switching to Windows Phone.

Top Bottom