• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/24/8488453/james-bond-sony-product-placement-xperia-z4-spectre

2a1PSET.gif

Bond is right, as usual. And I like Sony.

Hasney

Seems like every couple of pages people start to complain about Android and say they are about ready to swear it off.

Let's be honest, you'll be back, they always come back once they realize how dated ios feels.

It's true. If there was a viable alternative it would be easy, which shows how bad iOS is to me considering how bad they're fucking these updates up.

I can't even hate any platform, really.

I get bored after a while, so I flip flop between Android and Windows Phone, while iOS is no option for me, because I want my phones off contract, unlocked and for under 400 bucks.

I like my Nexus 5 as much as I liked my Lumia 920 before it. Both have their pro and cons, hardware and software wise.

My only real complaint about Lollipop is that Trusted Places at home doesn't work anymore. Other than that I don't really have any issues. No memory leak or anything. Sure, I get some random app or service crash every 5 moons, but I chuckle at that most of the times ("Unfortunately, Google xyz has stopped").

I'd probably be perfectly happy with the Nexus 5, if the battery wasn't shit (seriously, it's the same as my old Lumia and that one released in 2012) and if the camera would actually work.

Windows Phone would be interesting this year, if last years flagship wasn't shit and this years wouldn't ship with the 810. Shit all around.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If only someone released a nice, sleek extended battery case for the Nexus 5, I'd have kept it. But they're all awful. So I bought a Nexus 6. And the battery still isn't good enough, except this time, there are no extended battery cases period. They'd be a pain to use, though. Thankfully, quick charging is great.

I have an extended portable battery but they're a pain to carry around. I wish I could find one that gives and gets quick charging.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Am I supposed to be able to set a timer entirely by voice? I do 'ok Google, set a 15 minute timer' and it recognises it, but I have to press a button to confirm. I'd expect it to set it with one of those 'setting...' Buttons that you can cancel before the dial fills up.

Brotkasten - get a smartwatch, smart lock when connected to a bluetooth device works ok.

RuGalz

Am I supposed to be able to set a timer entirely by voice? I do 'ok Google, set a 15 minute timer' and it recognises it, but I have to press a button to confirm. I'd expect it to set it with one of those 'setting...' Buttons that you can cancel before the dial fills up.

Mine just sets and starts up the clock app in the count down screen. No need confirmation.

xptoxyz

Brotkasten - get a smartwatch, smart lock when connected to a bluetooth device works ok.

Even if you don't press the button it should just create a timer and start it, takes a few more seconds after the dialog shows up.

NotBacon

There is no market (outside of NotBacon) for the high-end higher priced Nexus devices.

It isn't a matter of marketing, there just isn't a market for these high-end Nexus devices at all. The market who is interested in high-end Android devices will get Samsung Galaxy phones, always.

Sad but true. Mostly because people really don't know what Nexus even is. So many who haven't seen the light.... ;)

If only someone released a nice, sleek extended battery case for the Nexus 5, I'd have kept it. But they're all awful. So I bought a Nexus 6. And the battery still isn't good enough, except this time, there are no extended battery cases period. They'd be a pain to use, though. Thankfully, quick charging is great.

I have an extended portable battery but they're a pain to carry around. I wish I could find one that gives and gets quick charging.

Battery tech in general needs to get its ass in gear, but this still don't make no sense, especially after the 5.1 update. I wonder how long Hansey's battery lasts...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mine just sets and starts up the clock app in the count down screen. No need confirmation.

Even if you don't press the button it should just create a timer and start it, takes a few more seconds after the dialog shows up.

Hmm. Auto starts from the homescreen, but not when I say it when the phone is locked. It just brings up the timer screen but won't autostart

MercuryLS

Banned
But it's also the worst. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not on the S6, I prefer this to stock Android. It's looks great, runs well, has lots of great extra features and their apps that have been updated to Material design look better than the equivalent Google versions in some cases. The only weak aspect are the dated looking icons that are just flattened versions of their older ugly ones.

Quasar

I agree with all of that. I love my Nexus 6 but there's no way I would have gotten it without the big carrier subsidies we enjoy in the UK.

Tablets.. Eh. I think both Android manufacturers and Apple are finding out that there isn't as much of a reason to upgrade one as often as you do with a phone. The last Nexus 7 was a great device (Lollipop support not withstanding) and if I don't think a new one would have offset much of the loss.

Well personally phones are that way now too for most people (certainly I continue to find my Nexus 4 just fine - battery life aside - though I guess the OS updates will stop for it soon and that will get me to upgrade).

But tablets are in that way kind of like PCs. Upgrade every few years.. certainly for me with iPads I went iPad1, iPad3, Air2. And I don't see what Apple would have to offer for me to upgrade again. Its going to be a few years before apps tax the Air2.

Don't they still have the memory leaks? I need to have my multiwindow multitasking :eek:

Also, Lollipop Touchwiz doesn't have the KitKat music lockscreen ;_;

No clue about the memory leak. Google did so much dumb stuff with lollipop though like the music lock screen controls, notifications, and sound system. I guess there is always 5.2 coming to hopefully fix the dumb shit they did in 5 and still haven't fixed.

NotBacon

5.1 Lollipop here and you couldn't pay me to go back to KK.......

Edit: What's wrong with music controls, notifications, and sound system?

Husker86

Not on the S6, I prefer this to stock Android. It's looks great, runs well, has lots of great extra features and their apps that have been updated to Material design look better than the equivalent Google versions in some cases. The only weak aspect are the dated looking icons that are just flattened versions of their older ugly ones.
I gotta say, I'm kinda missing Google Caller ID, though. Oh well.

5.1 Lollipop here and you couldn't pay me to go back to KK.......

Edit: What's wrong with music controls, notifications, and sound system?

Screwed up music controls on lock screen that don't let you skip tracks, notifications that are forced upon you when you open the phone unless you choose to ignore all notifications, and no silent mode like in 4.4 where you still get alarms and notification lights for text messages.

RuGalz

They fixed the notification for you in 5.1 which I now consider it broken. damn notification in the dark while I sleep.

cm12.1 is amazing so far. 4hr SoT after 1 day and 9 hours run time on my N5. time to put it on charger.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
People keep mentioning the music widget doesn't let you skip tracks. It's been fixed for months now. What else do you want

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do any of you use battery managers such as greenify to try and keep background usage in check? Just wondering what the pros and cons might be.

Groof

Do any of you use battery managers such as greenify to try and keep background usage in check? Just wondering what the pros and cons might be.

Greenify is the only thing I root my phone for these days. Pros are that you can better decide what apps you want running in the background. Notice an app turning itself on for some bullshit reason too often, eating battery? Greenify that shit and stop worrying.
Cons, I guess, are that apps will take a bit longer to boot up next time you want to use them. And if you use it a lot and have it boot, get greenified, boot, greenify a lot it can be a bit more detrimental to your battery life. But if you're greenifying it anyway you probably don't use it so often.

It's nice, and if you have xposed you can even greenify messenger apps that use GCM and still get the push notifications through. Quite a thing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Greenify is the only thing I root my phone for these days. Pros are that you can better decide what apps you want running in the background. Notice an app turning itself on for some bullshit reason too often, eating battery? Greenify that shit and stop worrying.
Cons, I guess, are that apps will take a bit longer to boot up next time you want to use them. And if you use it a lot and have it boot, get greenified, boot, greenify a lot it can be a bit more detrimental to your battery life. But if you're greenifying it anyway you probably don't use it so often.

It's nice, and if you have xposed you can even greenify messenger apps that use GCM and still get the push notifications through. Quite a thing.

Oh, it needs root?

Android should do more to tidy up background usage. Eg let me select non-critical apps and they get restricted, then android wakes up every 15 minutes and allow them to do some housekeeping if necessary, so everything is synchronised and apps aren't all doing their thing whenever they want.

Groof

Oh, it needs root?

Android should do more to tidy up background usage. Eg let me select non-critical apps and they get restricted, then android wakes up every 15 minutes and allow them to do some housekeeping if necessary, so everything is synchronised and apps aren't all doing their thing whenever they want.

It has a non-root mode too, but it's not as "silent" so to speak. If you have root it just does it automagically in the background no matter what you're doing. Non-root mode only works if your phone has been idle for a minute or so.

kinggroin

Banned
Oh, it needs root?

Android let's you do this. Right now. You can do this.

Edit: restricting background usage I mean

Top Bottom