• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm on my phone literally 1% of the time. No biggie. I don't mind using the phone like that, although I can usually use Bluetooth headphones.

teiresias

DAMMIT!! I must have bent over too far with my N5 in my pocket because now I've got a big crack in the screen in the upper right quadrant. It doesn't seem to affect the digitizer or the display itself, but ugh. I guess I'll just go as long as I can with it because I can't really afford to buy a new phone now (and now idea what that would be anyway).

I was against the N6 size until I actually used it. It's great. I'm all for a bigger size until I hit a wall.

It's cool man, like I said, like what you like.

Off that topic, what the hell happened with the Moto G line? I was going to order one for ky gf, but I'm looking at the current gen right now and it looks like it might actually be weaker than the moto e?

After getting my OnePlus One, I don't think I would want to go back to a smaller phone.
but you see, this is the issue with the one plus one. It's bigger than it has to be. Go compare the dimensions of the G3 to the OPO. Both the same screen size, one is notably bigger. OPO is almost 10mm taller.

Nexus 6 is fucking huge but at least it has small bezels. I think the G3 size give or take a mm is the absolute biggest I'd ever go and that's pushing it. But bezels are key.

but you see, this is the issue with the one plus one. It's bigger than it has to be. Go compare the dimensions of the G3 to the OPO. Both the same screen size, one is notably bigger. OPO is almost 10mm taller.

Nexus 6 is fucking huge but at least it has small bezels. I think the G3 size give or take a mm is the absolute biggest I'd ever go and that's pushing it. But bezels are key.

Why don't you accept your master race and just get a damn Note

MercuryLS

Banned

For me the max size has to do with whether or not I can easily reach the other side of the keyboard one handed for swipe typing and how comfortably i can put it in my pocket without the phone making its presence constantly felt. The size of the S6 is perfect for me. Its easy to grip and use and it's big but not uncomfortable in my pocket. I found the OPO to be too big like you said, the G3 is pretty great size wise considering it has a 5.5 inch screen, but its still hard to reach the other side of the screen one handed for typing, that can't be fixed due to the size of the 5.5 inch screen, even with no bezel on the sides, it would still be cumbersome for me.

Why don't you accept your master race and just get a damn Note
if it were 5.5 inches with extremely slim bezels I'd honestly consider it but nahh it's too big.

I wear very slim fit jeans and all this stuff is pretty damn noticeable in my pockets and that is just pushing it like mad.

For me the max size has to do with whether or not I can easily reach the other side of the keyboard one handed for swipe typing and how comfortably i can put it in my pocket without the phone making its presence constantly felt. The size of the S6 is perfect for me. Its easy to grip and use and it's big but not uncomfortable in my pocket. I found the OPO to be too big like you said, the G3 is pretty great size wise considering it has a 5.5 inch screen, but its still hard to reach the other side of the screen one handed for typing, that can't be fixed due to the size of the 5.5 inch screen, even with no bezel on the sides, it would still be cumbersome for me.
I agree the S6 is the perfect acceptable size of a smartphone that includes a fingerprint sensor imo. If they made it a little thicker and put a better battery in it, I'd own one right now.

reKon

Banned
following the same screen to body ratio as original Moto X, but staying at 5 inches would be the perfect phone screen size for me.

following the same screen to body ratio as original Moto X, but staying at 5 inches would be the perfect phone screen size for me.
I agree. The moto X 2014 is close being 5.2 inches but 5 would have been perfect. But if Moto slaps one of the 4000mah batteries we all know they have access to in there, I'd get it in a heartbeat at the same size.

I agree. The moto X 2014 is close being 5.2 inches but 5 would have been perfect. But if Moto slaps one of the 4000mah batteries we all know they have access to in there, I'd get it in a heartbeat at the same size.

So a droid turbo without the shitty Verizon exclusivity or the ugly capacitive buttons?

*posted from a droid turbo

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's cool man, like I said, like what you like.
??? I'm not looking for your approval. I just think being against a larger phone without trying it may not necessarily be correct.

All I'm doing is commenting people how to fix this issue for days now. It's so frustrating
your post reminded me of one thing I hate so much about android and that is how often apps have to update because of all these devices people gotta support. I swear every time I turn on my phone/tablet when I'm using android there are a lot of updates, every day it seems for some apps.

It's a minor thing but it's a pet peeve.

your post reminded me of one thing I hate so much about android and that is how often apps have to update because of all these devices people gotta support. I swear every time I turn on my phone/tablet when I'm using android there are a lot of updates, every day it seems for some apps.

It's a minor thing but it's a pet peeve.

It's this causing the problem. It's breaking everything for HTC One m8.
EDIT: woops forgot the link lol
http://www.talkandroid.com/246488-verizons-htc-one-m8-bug-crashing-apps-left-and-right/

This is the most challenging purchase I ever made...confusing upgrade terms, weird glitches on the site, store reps discouraging me, but eff it I just bought a white Xperia Z3V...cant wait to try i! First android phone ever!!

What do you like about it??

There was a Maxx for free too with upgrade...

Plus's are: Very light skin, great battery life, actually useful voice commands

Minuses: Poor Camera.

Also don't get the Maxx, if you got one get the X(speedy upgrades, worse battery) or the Turbo(painfully slow upgrades so far, amazing battery and QHD screen).

Pretty sure the free phone was the Droid Maxx, super old, not the Moto Maxx, which is the Droid Turbo in the US. Either way Z3V was his worst choice.

Nooo support me? Tell me I made the right choice!

But yea let me clarify...I only wanted a free or $.99 phone. So no new phone. I don't like S5. M8 was my top choice but none was available either through best buy or Verizon

Nooo support me? Tell me I made the right choice!

But yea let me clarify...I only wanted a free or $.99 phone. So no new phone. I don't like S5. M8 was my top choice but none was available either through best buy or Verizon

In your shoes I would have gone with the moto x 2015 sense it's basically the polar opposite of the S5, plus it comes in leather......but have fun with the remote play, that's pretty cool.

In your shoes I would have gone with the moto x 2015 sense it's basically the polar opposite of the S5, plus it comes in leather......but have fun with the remote play, that's pretty cool.

damn leather does sound sexy. Thanks for the encouragement! I will admit I didn't make theodt informed purchase, I just always wanted a Z3 since it was raved about it here.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pretty sure the free phone was the Droid Maxx, super old, not the Moto Maxx, which is the Droid Turbo in the US. Either way Z3V was his worst choice.

I dont get the constant xperia slagging. Has to be a meme or something I'm not getting, because it is not a bad phone at all.

Is it just because Sony release every 6 months? Is it because they only have a couple of operators in the US?

Yes I have one, but I looked around for a while and it seemed a good choice. Nice screen, hardware camera button is handy for me, UI is fine as I put nova launcher on it anyway, great battery

I dont get the constant xperia slagging. Has to be a meme or something I'm not getting, because it is not a bad phone at all.

Is it just because Sony release every 6 months? Is it because they only have a couple of operators in the US?

Mainly due to the precieved poor support, that and there are just better phones out there comparatively. It has some neat features, but it would be far from my first choice at any point.

I was against the N6 size until I actually used it. It's great. I'm all for a bigger size until I hit a wall.
I agree. 5.7 inches in my Note 4 feels small, I can go reasonably bigger.

The phones start to get heavy though, not sure if there's a way around that.

Edit: Xperia is an awesome phone. #1 battery, great camera, great design, decent screen. Its negative reputation seems to be an American thing, the carriers fuck a lot of things up and Sony doesn't really get updates out that fast in the first place (not that I think that's a huge deal anymore, Lollipop is very #skip)

Yes I have one, but I looked around for a while and it seemed a good choice. Nice screen, hardware camera button is handy for me, UI is fine as I put nova launcher on it anyway, great battery

Sony Mobile is a microcosm of the greater troubles of Sony's various flagging electronics divisions. It's a shame they get so little respect from US mobile carriers and so they can't get their devices on the likes of AT&T and Verizon but realistically outside of their home market of Japan they have been getting faceplanted by Samsung for years now, just like in TVs and other electronics.

Sony is profitable today because of movies/TV, Playstation, financial services, and digital recording (cameras, camcorders, camera sensors in smartphones). Their old foundational consumer electronics businesses have been on life support since the turn of the millennium and it's amazing that Sony have waited this long to start aggressively winding them down. The new Sony is like the new IBM, unrecognizable from the company it once was but still pushing forward. Mobile is not a part of the new Sony going forward.

RuGalz

How do you do that? What app is that?

The pic is just BetterBatteryStatus. I do all the wakelock control on vanilla CM now that it has Privacy Guard feature that you can take away any permission in any app on the phone. On rooted Kitkat, you can use Xposed with Wakelock Terminator to do similar things. Most of battery drain on Android is just different apps wanting to wake up at random time to do background update. Many can be disabled and won't affect user experience much. Google really need to batch these wake time behind the scene to get battery drain under control...

Top Bottom