• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Husker86

So apparently this is an issue on Samsung and LG devices... Play Music through Chromecast stops going to next song if the screen is off. This is happening on my S6. This is not cool.

Oh, it happens with the screen on too. Awesome. I assume it will only work if Play Music is the focused app.

snacknuts

we all knew her
So apparently this is an issue on Samsung and LG devices... Play Music through Chromecast stops going to next song if the screen is off. This is happening on my S6. This is not cool.

Oh, it happens with the screen on too. Awesome. I assume it will only work if Play Music is the focused app.
I wondered earlier why this was happening on my S6.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm on my phone literally 1% of the time. No biggie. I don't mind using the phone like that, although I can usually use Bluetooth headphones.

Portability is a factor so 7" is out, but I do agree with you. Every new smart phone I've gotten has been bigger than the last, and I wouldn't wanna go back.

Plus like you calling is like last in the list of shit I do especially if we don't count when I'm using BT in my car.

Every aspect of the device in comparison to all other flagships? (build quality, battery life, speed/stability, OS updates, android skin, manufacturer support, unique features, etc)

Build quality - Not great. The back glass is incredibly fragile.
Battery - KK was great, I heard LP took a dive.
Speed/Stability - Seems fine. There aren't many phones that are slow at this price level.
OS Updates - Almost non existent. The slowest among all the OEMs.
Skin - Ugly as sin and hasn't been updated since Gingerbread.
Support - It's Sony so probably above average.
Features - Pretty bare bones. Lots of Playstation stuff and Sony built in media services that if you don't use, is pretty much bloat.

No it's probably not that bad, but making people pay 600+ for the same phone with slightly different internals every year is criminal. Comparatively? It's not good. On it's own, it's not too bad. If Sony gave a shit, updated its hardware, software, and design on a yearly cycle, Xperias would matter. Right now? Me, like everyone else, don't care.

reKon

Banned
Speed/Stability - Seems fine. There aren't many phones that are slow at this price level.
Features - Pretty bare bones. Lots of Playstation stuff and Sony built in media services that if you don't use, is pretty much bloat.

No it's probably not that bad, but making people pay 600+ for the same phone with slightly different internals every year is criminal. Comparatively? It's not good. On it's own, it's not too bad. If Sony gave a shit, updated its hardware, software, and design on a yearly cycle, Xperias would matter. Right now? Me, like everyone else, don't care.

A lot of reaching here. I own the Z3C btw, so I can attest to what I'm about to say.

OS update wise, yes Sony is slow, but luckily Kit Kat was very stable and Lollipop (which I'm running now) seems to be as well so it's not the worst the in world. Battery life is the same as Kit Kat so far and maybe even better. It still beats most flagship phones on the market and that should mean something to you because that's one of the things that people desire the most out of the phones these days..The complaints about Lollipop are greatly exaggerated as 90% of users wouldn't care about the small things that were changed or removed. I think there were a lot of mentions about a bug with the bluetooth/unlock device functionality though.

It's build quality is great IMO. I don't know how widespread the cracked glass issue is, but I don't think an excessive amount of people have the issue. I've been on XDA for other reasons than doing research on this, but I've read through those threads, so I have a general idea of the issue. As with any products that's having quality issues, you will hear more from the people who had problems than than the people who aren't. I live in Chicago and used my phone while transitioning from the bitter cold to inside a warm building, but it hasn't cracked or shown any wear

Lollipop is noticeably both smoother and faster than Kitkat was, which is crazy to seem because Kitkat already ran well and pretty much never lag. Sony probably has one of the most close skins to stock Android. The main complaints seem to be with the icons, but to me that's a non issue with the availability of launchers and the built in theme store on the device. The skin actually looks very nice and definitely looks different from Kit Kat, which isn't as terrible as you're making it out to be (maybe you'd want to be more specific on what's so terrible about it).

Remote play works well on this (used it multiple times), it's dust/waterproof, has expandable storage that you can load your apps on in Lollipop, has free spotify premium for a few months if you're a PSN user, etc...

This all goes to say, no I don't agree with you at all. If you take everything that phone offers, I'd say clearly a great device relative to everything in the market place. I completely understand criticisms about the way Sony has ran the mobile business unit - I've made fun and criticized the Company myself. But it's pretty stupid to be labeling their flagship devices as mediocre devices.

/novel

Hasney

I dont get the constant xperia slagging. Has to be a meme or something I'm not getting, because it is not a bad phone at all.

Is it just because Sony release every 6 months? Is it because they only have a couple of operators in the US?

Yes I have one, but I looked around for a while and it seemed a good choice. Nice screen, hardware camera button is handy for me, UI is fine as I put nova launcher on it anyway, great battery

Yeah, the regular is great, the compact has a few build issues. If we got the Ultra, I probably would have ended up with that over the N6.

Quasar

Doesn't happen with my LG N4 from what I remember.

I facepalm everytime Sony is brought up. Isn't Sony getting destroyed in their own home country?

That doesn't say much about the quality of their phones.

edit: oh lol, I didn't notice there was a next page x_x

If Xperia had replaceable battery I would seriously consider it. Sony makes excellent phones. I love their waterproofing and that beast battery life (which is the most important feature to me).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A lot of reaching here. I own the Z3C btw, so I can attest to what I'm about to say.

/novel

I too don't understand the skin complaints. Maybe they have older icons but they don't seem to force entirely new interaction methods on you, or replace fundamental system apps. You're a nova launcher or icon pack away from pretty much stock IMO. I went from the 'stock as you can get' Nexus 4 to 'apparantly the worst custom UI I the world' Z3 and barely noticed a difference (I did install nova launcher and an icon pack though, but I did that to the nexus as well)

The battery life plus waterproofing are both pretty big benefits I think.

So what if it looks similar each release? You aren't buying each release - more like every couple of years when your contract is up, so why does that even matter? Iphone looks pretty damn identical for years and nobody bats an eyelid.

And aside from remote play, being able to easily pair a Dualshock means it is a good choice for emulators etc - especially if you use a gameklip or similar.

Whether it is 'popular' or not should be the least of your considerations

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Looks like T-Mobile's Note 4 is getting Lollipop.

V7pDoqQ.png

Hasney

As I banged on about bluetooth headphones, I managed to try some out. Resigned that I'd have to get the Beats according to a lot of best of charts, nothing around the same price actually did sound as good. Amazing, the pair that did come close is about £200 cheaper than the Beats Studio Wireless.

£70 on Amazon so I'll have a shop around around, but I was pretty damn impressed even before they told me the price point.

I'm also a weak man and with the money I budgeted and will now be saving, I got a LG Watch R

Mindwipe

The idea that Sony's skin "hasn't been updated since Gingerbread" is just complete nonsense.

Literally the only part that wasn't redone for Lollipop was the homescreen icons, and homescreen icons are always ugly if you don't use an icon pack because they're an inconsistent mess. Sony's *are* ugly, but if you don't see them who cares?

Mindwipe

So with the nexus 7 getting discontinued are we going to see a new gen nexus 7 in May ?

I wasn't sure, but them specifically calling out the N7 in the earnings call as being a previously strong seller that they'd lost gives me some hope a replacement is coming this year.

Hasney

And super small bezel? How did they cram in 4k of juice.

Maybe if the phone is turned its super fat on the back. Wouldnt mind at that much juice though.

gsmarena_003.jpg

No way it's real. I hope it is, but surely not.

EDIT: If it is, I'd even forgive the sin of the 810.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Actual, factual email I received from Saygus about the V^2:

We have compiled a list of reasons why you should order your V² now:

*You will probably never see a lower price. We expect carriers to sell the V² for no less than $650 USD, but could be as much as $850-900 USD!
*Where else can you get the all the features of the V² in one device?!
*Order now to secure your place in line so you don’t have to wait to get it later!
*The more orders we get, the easier it is for us to build “The Next Big Thing” and have it waiting for you just around the corner.
*You just got that fat tax refund, time to spend it! :)
*Face it...you’re tired of having your phone die every day because you ARE a media junkie.
*You secretly confess, only to your therapist, that you fanaticize about watching TV while sun bathing.
*You’re tired of crappy photos.
*You’ve had enough of the trillion dollar companies building sub-par phones. You’ve had the rest. Now you want the best!
*You’re a fan of the best tech out there.
*You’ve always dreamed of “Singing in the Rain” with your phone…now you can!
*You’ve been saving up all those cat videos to watch on your big screen TV using the V²’s Wireless HD beaming technology.
*You’ll finally be able to blow up and inspect all those photos from your latest trip to Loch Ness on your big screen TV and decide for yourself if Nessie is real!
*You’re tired of getting the error message “Memory Full” right before you take what you think will be the best photo or video of your life.
*Who wouldn’t want nearly a ½ terabyte in their pocket?!

Should be some apps/widgets in the store that can toggle them for you? Any particular reason you need it? If connected to wifi on lollipop it isn't using any mobile data. You could maybe look into something like tasker or llama to do it automatically for you.

nope, checked - can't be done for mobile data.

https://code.google.com/p/android/i...s Owner Summary Stars&groupby=&sort=&id=78084

Google killed it in lollipop, created a new method and didn't open it up to third parties or use it to create a toggle usable on the home screen themselves. The mobile data toggle on their horrible new quick settings screen doesn't work either, so I have to go into airplane mode.

MercuryLS

Banned
apple has conditioned people to dislike it.

And actually it's not the smallest bezel I've seen, I forgot about that sharp phone:

alnz6nsoeansfdviy3wq.jpg

Honestly I hate it when the bezels aren't symmetrical, it just looks so ugly. I like how Samsung does it, symmetrical bezels that are not overly huge (and are used well by hardware buttons). The worst is huge bezels with no function to them like the ones on the Z3.

Now those are some gat damn specs/dimensions.

Also it's my birthday today so I expect these companies to accommodate me with some leaks.
😙😙🎂🎂 🎆 happy birthday

Z4 shaping up to be amazing. Wish it had a 1440p screen though.

Play Music works fine on my Chromecast with Note 4 (with screen off/different focus app/WiFi off). I would never use it though with that ugly cast screen. WTF Google.

Hasney

I love that Aquos. If it had a decent spec and was a bit bigger, I would have been tempted.

It's why I figure that P2 has to be fake. There's no compromises there., unless they had to get rid of the SD slot to accommodate, but even then that's minor.

Toki767

Honestly I hate it when the bezels aren't symmetrical, it just looks so ugly. I like how Samsung does it, symmetrical bezels that are not overly huge (and are used well by hardware buttons). The worst is huge bezels with no function to them like the ones on the Z3.

The huge bezels on the Z3 make it waterproof I believe?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I love that Aquos. If it had a decent spec and was a bit bigger, I would have been tempted.

It's why I figure that P2 has to be fake. There's no compromises there., unless they had to get rid of the SD slot to accommodate, but even then that's minor.
The Aquos looks great but the coolest thing is its price. Such a striking design for a mid range. Really interesting business approach.

My G2's screen smashed into bits after it fell on its face today (It wasn't even a hard floor, I was like WTF when I picked up the phone). I'm considering getting a new phone but there isn't one that I'm genuinely excited about. I don't want a huge phone something about the same size of the G2 (around 5 inches). Also I want good battery.

What are my options? Also considering switching to iphone just to try something new.

longdi

Banned

LP battery is great for me. Always try to do a clean upgrade or even clear cache after upgrading. Too much chance of Android apps going rouge. Blame Google.
OS updates - slower but they are more stable and most new features are included. My 5.0.2 Z2 have quick wifi switching through the notification drawer.
Skin - your post is ugly as sin. I much prefer this over this

Top Bottom