• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Can't believe my 2013 Moto X still doesn't have Lollipop. This article certainly doesn't make me feel better as I feel like this is going to continue to take awhile...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Moto...updating-the-OG-Moto-X-to-Android-5.0_id65814

I can't wait until our 2013 X gets the janky 5.0 the same week google releases 5.1. All that crying to Motorola on social media sure paid off!

Seriously people... shut up. Maybe Moto is evaluating 5.1 instead. All your going to do is bitch about not having 5.1 once you get 5.0 anyway. I would rather wait an extra month or two and go 4.4 to 5.1 than 4.4 to 5 on any android.

VoxPop

S6 benchmark appears. 3gb RAM, 20mp cam, 32gb 5.0.2 out of the box.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/02/1...lude-5-1-qhd-display-and-exynos-7420-chipset/

Galaxy-S6-Edge-gets-benchmarked-reveals-specs.jpg

Holds up to the international Note 4, looking good! Basically Sammy hit a home run here if true.

You mean TouchWiz 5.0.2? No thanks.

My Moto G 2nd gen in Australia got it the other day, super happy. I like it so far. Not sure what has changed, though aside from material and how sexy the notifications pulldown is

dc89

D:

Scratched my Z3, right on the lip of the chassis next to the screen. So when I look at my phone now, I see this shining scratch around .75cm in length.

Confirming rumours, Bloomberg is reporting that there will be 2 variants of the S6. The obvious main one and the 3 sided edge version. Also they will both have 5.1" displays which is nice, for once samsung calms the fuck down on that front. Gives me hope for the rest of the year. Maybe moto x 2015 will go down a bit!

Anyway both variants will also be all metal according to them. Only the regular S6 is planned to be revealed at MWC.

So I got a Z3 Compact yesterday, it's great but one thing is bugging me. The screen doesn't light up when I receive a text message, is this deliberate?

Hasney

So I got a Z3 Compact yesterday, it's great but one thing is bugging me. The screen doesn't light up when I receive a text message, is this deliberate?

Yup. The Lollipop update should change that at the end of the month though assuming Sony incorporate ambient display.

Just part of the Android design prior to 5.0. It pulsed the LED rather than turned the screen on.

Now, the screen turns part of itself on for all notifications instead of the whole screen which is battery saving.

Now I get it, the last Android device I had was the S5 and I'm sure that the screen turned on if I got a text etc.

Yeah, my S4 did too. That's part of TouchWiz.

You learn something new every day.

It seems like every Android handset maker has quirks when it comes to their phones but right now the Z3 has really impressed me and the dock is a godsend for someone like me who struggles with flaps.

i'll just learn to check the light.

grmlin

That M9 looks really compelling.

What does HTC think about rooting etc. Does it void the warranty as with Samsung phones?

Wreav

Banned
Wow, this is the shot that's telling:

9501dddd7890b108875876943ae6d420.jpg

Quite a bit thicker than the iPhone 6 based on the headphone jack size, and that camera hump adds about another 40% thickness to the overall body.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
MicroUSB AND offset. Fucking HTC.

Is there any HTC event set, or are we just assuming MWC?

Event March 1, iirc

That M9 looks really compelling.

What does HTC think about rooting etc. Does it void the warranty as with Samsung phones?

HTC is more open about it than samsung, they usually support unlocking bootloaders, assuming you buy an unlocked device from them

Drifters

Samsung you piece of shit copy-cat can't come up with a better idea if it punched you in the nuts smartphone manufacturer.

Jigolo

Renders of HTC One M9 based on leaks which are all but confirmed at this point unless HTC are masters of trolling. Looks great. #HTCNexusPhone2015Believe:
Damn I can't wait to actually see this. HTC please hold this design for the M10 and put in the 820 14nm Finfet chip and usb-c.

Toki767

Lollipop seems pretty solid so far. I do actually enjoy the consistency of the animations. Haven't encountered any serious bugs yet on LG's version.

Lollipop seems pretty solid so far. I do actually enjoy the consistency of the animations. Haven't encountered any serious bugs yet on LG's version.

It would be interesting to know what bugs LG squashed. Are you get any weird slowdown like the phone is almost revving up or any random launcher/app reloads?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I'm hours away from ordering a shield tablet. I know they're supposedly announcing a new version in a month's time, but it won't likely be released until this summer or so, right?

I'm upgrading from an original nexus 7 to a shield tablet. I'm hoping to get my fucking mind blown! I can't wait to have a nice snappy tablet again. I'm going to give some telltale stuff a look, and grab X-com.

My home connection is 15mbs down, and I forget what my upload is. How's this nVidia grid business? I know the free beta ends the final day in June, any ideas on price after that?

The S6 looks fine. There are only so many ways you can design a phone and they wanted to keep certain Galaxy features in tact like the home button. Also, you won't even notice the camera bump with a case on.

-edit- also that screen turn on feature for Lollipop for notifications is horrible. Hopefully there is a way to turn that off and go back to a notification light.

thenexus6

My Nexus 5 has shut its self off / rebooting alot recently. It's very annoying. I want to just buy a Z3C but don't have the money right now.

This happening to many other people?

NotBacon

-edit- also that screen turn on feature for Lollipop for notifications is horrible. Hopefully there is a way to turn that off and go back to a notification light.

Screen-on for notifications <<< notification light <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< AMOLED screen-on for notifications

Drifters

So I'm hours away from ordering a shield tablet. I know they're supposedly announcing a new version in a month's time, but it won't likely be released until this summer or so, right?

I'm upgrading from an original nexus 7 to a shield tablet. I'm hoping to get my fucking mind blown! I can't wait to have a nice snappy tablet again. I'm going to give some telltale stuff a look, and grab X-com.

My home connection is 15mbs down, and I forget what my upload is. How's this nVidia grid business? I know the free beta ends the final day in June, any ideas on price after that?
Shield Tablet 2 will most likely see a Apr/May release I would guess. With the Nvidia event in March, that would give us more details. Hell of a tablet tho as I'm most likely replacing my 2013 N7 with either a shield or shield 2 tablet.

Hasney

The S6 looks fine. There are only so many ways you can design a phone and they wanted to keep certain Galaxy features in tact like the home button. Also, you won't even notice the camera bump with a case on.

I'm sure there will be with tweaks, but I think it's the best way. I want my light back as well mind you.

Toki767

It would be interesting to know what bugs LG squashed. Are you get any weird slowdown like the phone is almost revving up or any random launcher/app reloads?

It's been surprisingly smooth for me so far. There are a couple hiccups here and there if I have too many apps open and press back repeated, but other than that, it's probably running better than KitKat.

Ugly and harder to use in the dark.

Eh? There's all sorts of stuff not centered on the edge of a phone. I don't think it makes it ugly, but I guess that's subjective. No different than the speaker grill or headphone jack for me.

As for harder to use in the dark, It's not at all. I plug my phone in the dark all the time and it's no harder than plugging in the iPhone which is centered.

Husker86

Both the S6 and M9 with headphones jacks at the bottom...fuck yes.

I think this year I am going to try leaving the Nexus family for a generation. I want some solid, premium feeling hardware and battery optimizations. I won't be surprised if I come crawling back, but you never know until you try!

Symphonia

Banned
So what phones offer a vanilla Lollipop OS? I'm really quite sick of TouchWiz, to be honest, and the thought of a phone running Lollipop with no bloatware is too tempting. I just don't know what phones offer this. I assume the N6 does?

Hasney

So what phones offer a vanilla Lollipop OS? I'm really quite sick of TouchWiz, to be honest, and the thought of a phone running Lollipop with no bloatware is too tempting. I just don't know what phones offer this. I assume the N6 does?

Yeah, anything Nexus and that's pretty much it. Everyone else has varying amounts of changes.

I don't get those on any of my Lollipop devices.

Consider yourself lucky considering the fix is not out yet. And for me its acting like this even after a fresh boot.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79729

I have encountered this on Verizon Moto X 2014 (5.0), US Cellular Moto X 2014 (5.0.2), and a Nexus 9 (5.0.1).
I wont even mention the 2012 Nexus 7 since the hardware is crap but there is no reason to even use it anymore it is so bad.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
5.1 hurry up. I'm guessing it'll be out near MWC.

Top Bottom