• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Talon

The UI is still just largely Lollipop. LG's skin really isn't as dramaticly different from stock Lollipop as people make it sound. There's basically a different looking notification shade. That's about it.
I feel like we haven't been complaining about LG's "enhancements" for at least 2 versions now.

Wreav

Banned
The parts of the leather back that serve to complete the USB and audio ports are atrocious.

lgg4-15.0.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So potentially best in class screen and camera. They also seem to be focusing on battery life, and I love the idea that you'll get a notification about rogue apps killing battery.

Literally the only drawback would be the speaker is the same as on the G3. Passable, but not great.

Hasney

Are the tech sites getting their own today or just getting a hands on? Really want to see someone go in depth with this to see if the 808 was a good move or not. The G3 was the only phone I can think of that overheated the 801 and the 808 has the same CPU cores as the 810 done in the same process, there's just half the BIG cores and a lower end GPU.

Really hoping they played a blinder and there's hope for any manufacturer that uses an 808 this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

kagete

I'll be buying at least one on ATT Next as soon as it goes up and will likely convince my brother to go for this over the s6 as well. I've been on a Nexus 4 since its release and haven't liked the N6 each time I got to handle one. If my N4 had all-day battery I'd stay on it but between 5.0 bugs and the freezing I have no choice but to finally upgrade.

Toki767

Plastic back all the way for me if I got one. Leather is not worth the premium pricing when I'd just put a case on it anyway.

kagete

Just like carrier exclusive colors, but who would want that ugly brown color we've been seeing everywhere?

Eep, guilty as charged. Brown leather ages the best and I love it. If this is Tmo exclusive then that screws up my plans to stay on AT&T...

Saiyan-Rox

Personally I don't like wood/leather backs to phones but I guess that's me.

The G3 is nice but don't think i'm gonna spring for a new phone for a good while.

Toki767

Eep, guilty as charged. Brown leather ages the best and I love it. If this is Tmo exclusive then that screws up my plans to stay on AT&T...

Well. Depending on how you buy your phone, if you tend to just pay outright, T-Mobile phones work fine with AT&T's LTE. At least the G3 did.

LG's skin is still kinda ugly to me. NeoTouchWiz looks much better. And it's more Material than what LG has. Samsung's stock apps and keyboard look a lot better too.

MercuryLS

Banned
LG's skin is still kinda ugly to me. NeoTouchWiz looks much better. And it's more Material than what LG has. Samsung's stock apps and keyboard look a lot better too.

Yeah I don't really care for LG's skin, the new G4 skin looks too much like the G3 one and that wasn't that great to begin with.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ive got to say it looks great. It's making me question whether I should go ahead and fix my G2 I shattered last week for the $50 it takes to buy a screen or wait with this Thunderbolt I am currently using until I decide to get a G4. Or maybe a G3 will be cheaper soon.

Husker86

Ok really...how are there no Quick Charge 2.0 battery packs available?

Aukey makes a 10,000 mAh one, but it's unavailable. Incipio apparently has one, but it's either not released yet or it's just unavailable.

Toki767

Who is saying this? Not saying you're wrong, just don't know where it's being said.

Android Authority in their video said the G4 performed better than the G Flex 2.

So either the 808 is incredibly optimized when paired with the G4 like how Apple and Samsung does their optimizations.

Or the 810 is just a bust.

Possibly a mix of both.

Any idea when the G4 will be coming out?

Korea tomorrow. Supposedly late May/early June for the US.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The headphone port looks like it's tearing off and this looks like a brand new phone. I know which phone I wont be getting next!

It looks like a little piece of plastic there so its reinforced vs. the rest of it which is leather. Still a little odd, but probably impossible to notice day to day.

Also, the more I see it, the less I like the leather. Maybe the darker colors will be more palatable.

Android Authority in their video said the G4 performed better than the G Flex 2.

So either the 808 is incredibly optimized when paired with the G4 like how Apple and Samsung does their optimizations.

Or the 810 is just a bust.

Possibly a mix of both.

Korea tomorrow. Supposedly late May/early June for the US.

Late May/Early June sounds just right for me for a new system. And I'll take a look at their look at the G4.

longdi

Banned
The UI is still just largely Lollipop. LG's skin really isn't as dramaticly different from stock Lollipop as people make it sound. There's basically a different looking notification shade. That's about it.

Looks worse than Lollipop imo. Overly colorful and tons of circles.

And with that ugly faux leather back, LG is doing their best to be Samsung 2.0, the pre-S6 Samsung sadly.

Toki767

Looks worse than Lollipop imo. Overly colorful and tons of circles.

And with that ugly faux leather back, LG is doing their best to be Samsung 2.0, the pre-S6 Samsung sadly.

I like it better than Samsung's take. LG tends to use darker colors at least even if they go overboard. I looked at the notification shade on the S6 yesterday. That was a visual assault on the eyes.

The back is supposedly genuine leather though. And early hands-on videos does say that it feels really nice. I'd still go with plastic though. Unless leather meant I didn't have to put a case on it.

Toki767

Surprisingly the leather back is getting kind of glowing reviews on feel. "Seats on sports car" and "expensive wallet" feel according to GSM Arena. It's a shame about the stitching.

I'm actually okay about the stitching. I think the stitching gives it a bit of character and keeps it from just looking flat. It also adds grip and a more legit feel. That's how I take it.

Top Bottom