• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Hasney

G4 seems pretty solid, best of the flagships so far this year if 808 performs well.

I think it does depend on preferences. My personal W is still going to Samsung so far, but I'm not a big camera guy. I'd rather have speakers closer to the front and a flagship CPU, but I'm just inching closer to running Dolphin on my phone properly dammit.

Sid

The leather looks pretty good
lgg4-12.0.jpg

Toki767

I think it does depend on preferences. My personal W is still going to Samsung so far, but I'm not a big camera guy. I'd rather have speakers closer to the front and a flagship CPU, but I'm just inching closer to running Dolphin on my phone properly dammit.

GSM Arena posted a hands on video that shows them opening a bunch of apps and navigating the overall UI. Emulators are probably a different case, but for the most part, the phone seems as smooth as the S6. In everyday use at least. I'm not sure that Android even takes advantage of anything higher than quad core CPUs at this point.

Wreav

Banned
S6 is still a pretty clear winner to me. Metal construction, lighter, killer camera, better speaker placement, wireless charging, somehow less awful skin, and most importantly, the best SOC available.

G4 had lots of ground to make up, and threw cowhide at it.

Hasney

GSM Arena posted a hands on video that shows them opening a bunch of apps and navigating the overall UI. Emulators are probably a different case, but for the most part, the phone seems as smooth as the S6. In everyday use at least. I'm not sure that Android even takes advantage of anything higher than quad core CPUs at this point.

Ah good. Now hopefully we get some thermal stress testing and if it passes, the 808 is the non-Smasung chip to be using this year.

reKon

Banned
S6 is still a pretty clear winner to me. Metal construction, lighter, killer camera, better speaker placement, wireless charging, somehow less awful skin, and most importantly, the best SOC available.

G4 had lots of ground to make up, and threw cowhide at it.

I thought there were people who were just saying that everything was close to stock other than the notifications drop down...

Wreav

Banned
I thought there were people who were just saying that everything was close to stock other than the notifications drop down...

I've always had a visceral reaction to the color scheme LG uses. So very awful. At least Sammy toned down their colors on the S6.

longdi

Banned

Looks way smoother than Flex2 on 810.
The lighter tones also looks better on QHD LCD than 1080p OLED of the Flex2.

Wreav

Banned
I wish someone would explain to me how this:

Looks better than this:
Because I'm not seeing it.

Because the S6 is themeable, and will look 90% like stock the moment the theme builder is released.

The G4's setting screen also looks like the Samsung S3, lol

Toki767

Because the S6 is themeable, and will look 90% like stock the moment the theme builder is released.

The G4's setting screen also looks like the Samsung S3, lol

The first point, the G4 is already using stock-ish colors for the notification shade. The S6 being themeable isn't going to make it have the double pull down thing stock has. It's just going to make it look like the G4 at most.

Second point. Since you probably didn't use the G2 or G3, you can switch the settings screen to list view rather than tab view which makes it in line with how stock is.

LG's UI, for better or worse, is basically the closest you'll get to an official OEM skin that is almost fully customizable in what you want to do with it without rooting.

Toki767

Mine doesn't have either in the notification shade.

That might've been an S5 picture. Not completely sure since I just googled S6 notification panel and that came up. Is S Finder still even in the S6 or was that one of the "features" they cut?

That might've been an S5 picture. Not completely sure since I just googled S6 notification panel and that came up. Is S Finder still even in the S6 or was that one of the "features" they cut?

It's definitely there on all the demo models in Canada - including the ones at the Samsung-only section of Best Buy.

Toki767

Why put toggles in the notification menu when they can be accessed by simply swiping down? It's useless clutter.

I dunno. 1 swipe is faster than 2 swipes.

That's just my opinion though.

Also those toggles make it so that I don't have to reach the very top of my phone to clear a notification.

Wreav

Banned
With LG at least you can edit which toggles are available. Haven't used a Samsung since the Galaxy S3 but I thought you can do the same on Samsung.

The S-finder and Quick Connect toggles are separate from the customizable bar, and not removable (if your carrier has deemed you get to see them).

The customizable bar is identical to the LG bar.

jokkir

A prediction for I/O 2015:

"M" release. This will be a smaller update like Jellybean but will skip the naming "Lollipop". It will be Android 5.2 and will get rid of the software buttons to ones that actually make sense/have functionality like that old Android Police article ( http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...ons-new-navigation-buttons-coming-to-android/ ). It'll have more, mature elements of Material Design but will still be not implemented properly because Google.

reKon

Banned
This deal has popped up a ton of times over the past few months, but it's such a great deal: http://slickdeals.net/f/7823149-lg-...unlocked-smartphone-190-free-shipping?src=rcm

This phone pretty much nails it on the size (75% screen to body ratio), has good battery life, good camera, and great performance for the price.

It's the perfect backup phone and still a great main phone. If I already didn't have a back up phone, I'd seriously consider getting this for when I travel out of the country (my HTC One was pick pocketed from me in Africa)

Was playing around with my Nexus S again running a KitKat ROM. Man, I forgot how slow and laggy everything was on hardware that old. At times, things run well, surprisingly, but most of the time the slowness of it all made me wonder how I ever lived with it.

Anyway, while using it I remembered that custom ROMs offer the best implementation of the notification shade. No clutter like stock, but pulling down on the right side of the status bar takes you straight to quick settings. Google did that with tablets at one point, but I don't know why they got rid of it and never brought it to phones. If it's for simplicity, fuck simplicity. Google should just fully embrace the thing that makes Android, Android -- customization, options, etc.

Saiyan-Rox

anyone in here who have/had the nexus 9? are the performance issues that bad? and have you tried any AOSP roms on it from 5.1.1?

ukas

anyone in here who have/had the nexus 9? are the performance issues that bad? and have you tried any AOSP roms on it from 5.1.1?

I think I'm one of the few people that hasn't had any issues with my N9 (hardware or software). I haven't tried any AOSP roms since it's stock.

Saiyan-Rox

I think I'm one of the few people that hasn't had any issues with my N9 (hardware or software). I haven't tried any AOSP roms since it's stock.

for some reason a store nearby is selling them for £235 (about $360.40) so thinking about picking one up and remember everyone (or loads even) bitching about it

ukas

for some reason a store nearby is selling them for £235 (about $360.40) so thinking about picking one up and remember everyone (or loads even) bitching about it

I would just make sure you could return it. It was kind of a crap shoot if you got a defect or not during the initial launch. I'm not sure what it's like now though.

I mean, the performance issues are bad but it's not like it stops me from using it every night. But I smh at google every night because it's so stupid. And it's clear they're having a lot of trouble fixing it as 5.1 or 5.1.1 still hasn't come out for it.

It's a product I like that I'd probably love if the issues were resolved.

G4 looks dope BUT now with it out of the way we can get to the real interesting things. Bring on the OnePlus 2/motox/nexus/real sony flagship. Lets see what up.

Saiyan-Rox

I mean, the performance issues are bad but it's not like it stops me from using it every night. But I smh at google every night because it's so stupid. And it's clear they're having a lot of trouble fixing it as 5.1 or 5.1.1 still hasn't come out for it.

It's a product I like that I'd probably love if the issues were resolved.

What issues exactly have you got? AOSP 5.1.1 is available for it if you want to try it

Pooya

The line in the middle ruins it imo. S810 is so bad they had to go with a less worse one, how qualcomm failed miserably this year. Samsung used to sell Exynos SoCs, they should have probably jumped on this chance and pushed Qualcomm out of the market. Even Atoms are probably a better option now.

What issues exactly have you got? AOSP 5.1.1 is available for it if you want to try it
oh shit is it available? Link? I didn't see google post it up. Last time I checked Nexus 9 was still waiting for it.

And the issues range from memory leaking to just lots of jitter and lag most evident when you close an app and open another or make quick taps or anything really. It's really noticeable. Still usable. Like I said I do like the product but the issues are extremely present and noticeable. This could all be related to the memory leak though.

oh shit is it available? Link? I didn't see google post it up. Last time I checked Nexus 9 was still waiting for it.

And the issues range from memory leaking to just lots of jitter and lag most evident when you close an app and open another or make quick taps or anything really. It's really noticeable. Still usable. Like I said I do like the product but the issues are extremely present and noticeable. This could all be related to the memory leak though.

Dont get excited. He's referring to the android source code not the nexus 9 ROM.

Top Bottom