• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Saiyan-Rox

oh shit is it available? Link? I didn't see google post it up. Last time I checked Nexus 9 was still waiting for it.

And the issues range from memory leaking to just lots of jitter and lag most evident when you close an app and open another or make quick taps or anything really. It's really noticeable. Still usable. Like I said I do like the product but the issues are extremely present and noticeable. This could all be related to the memory leak though.

Well there's not a completely pure AOSP but there is this http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-9/development/rom-lollipopalooza-flounder-volantis-t2933831

There doesn't seem to be a 100 pure build for some reason...in fact development seems pretty slow over there.

Hmmm yeah that could be because of the memory leak it is strange Google is being so quiet regarding updates to the Nexus 9. perhaps that Tegra chip is the issue idk but still Google should be more open about this shit.

Dont get excited. He's referring to the android source code not the nexus 9 ROM.

Yep, sorry I got you hyped XD

Pretty sure it's because google has no fucking clue how to fix the issues on the nexus 9 and it's taking them forever. I'm sure working with Nvidia hardware isn't helping the case.

Pretty sure it's because google has no fucking clue how to fix the issues on the nexus 9 and it's taking them forever. I'm sure working with Nvidia hardware isn't helping the case.

64 bit android was clearly not done for that nvidia chip. Still not done 6 months later is just plain weird though.

Hasney

Got 5.1 on a Kindle Fire HDX via CM12.1. It's like a faster Nexus 7 now and so much better than the dumb Kindle interface. So happy now!

Toki767

Wait the g4 bezels got larger and its the same design/screen size? Gross

I'm guessing it's probably due to the new screen and camera. The bottom is a little longer (I think like 3mm?) though with the screen being slightly curved, it's probably not super noticeable in hand.

With that said. Samsung Q1 is out. Profit dropped 39%. Mobile division down 57%. I'm not sure the S6 is enough to turn around those huge numbers but it goes to show how important the next quarterly results are in telling us whatup.

RuGalz

Nothing really special about all these sample shots when they are probably all taken at low ISO, especially if they are taken by pros who knows how to control the limitations of small sensor. All these top tier phones with similar sensors are pretty much equal in terms of capability. Like this makes me laugh:

https://iso.500px.com/are-these-the...-craziest-photos-ever-taken-with-a-smartphone

As if any random Joe would be able to produce that quality image no matter what camera you give him.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I wish I could disable those two things and get an A-Z button for the app drawer.

Same

I'm never going to use S Finder or Quick Connect, so I hate that bullshit taking up space on my notification drawer. I also greatly prefer HTC's way of quickly accessing the various toggles by swiping down on the notification panel twice, once for the notifications, second time for the toggles. Loved having a full screen for notifications.

And no alphabetical sorting option really sucks too. I had to sort all my apps manually, which took forever.

I swear, Rogers got the worst version of Touchwiz for the S6/Edge.

Same

I'm never going to use S Finder or Quick Connect, so I hate that bullshit taking up space on my notification drawer. I also greatly prefer HTC's way of quickly accessing the various toggles by swiping down on the notification panel twice, once for the notifications, second time for the toggles. Loved having a full screen for notifications.

And no alphabetical sorting option really sucks too. I had to sort all my apps manually, which took forever.

I swear, Rogers got the worst version of Touchwiz for the S6/Edge.

Huh? My T-Mobile has A-Z app sorting.

I don't even notice the S Finder or Quick Connect anymore. It's so small and unnoticeable that I rarely even realize it's there.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Huh? My T-Mobile has A-Z app sorting.

I don't even notice the S Finder or Quick Connect anymore. It's so small and unnoticeable that I rarely even realize it's there.

Yeah it seems to only be missing from the Rogers variant for some reason.

it's not luck, they get a gold star for the hard work they put in on that handset.

*bow*

in other news, despite my best efforts a few weeks ago, she was Note fazed. my mom informed me that she is getting a S6 Edge this week.

CronoShot

I'm curious how the 808 compares to the 805. The early benchmarks seem roughly similar, but I assume the Adreno 418 isn't quite as good as the Adreno 420, let alone the Adreno 430. Which is concerning, since the GPU is obviously a major concern in QHD phones.

Qualcomm fucked up bad this year.

I'm curious how the 808 compares to the 805. The early benchmarks seem roughly similar, but I assume the Adreno 418 isn't quite as good as the Adreno 420, let alone the Adreno 430. Which is concerning, since the GPU is obviously a major concern in QHD phones.

The 805 has no problems pushing QHD and it has a weaker GPU, right? I'd think the 808 should be more than fine.

CronoShot

The 805 has no problems pushing QHD and it has a weaker GPU, right? I'd think the 808 should be more than fine.

The 805 has the Adreno 420, the 808 has the Adreno 418.

I found an article on Anandtech saying the 418 was 20% faster than the Adreno 330 (in the 801) and the 420 was 40% faster than the 330. But it was from last year, so who knows.

The 805 has the Adreno 420, the 808 has the Adreno 418.

I found an article on Anandtech saying the 418 was 20% faster than the Adreno 330 (in the 801) and the 420 was 40% faster than the 330. But it was from last year, so who knows.
Oh wow, all this time I thought the 805 had a 3xx Adreno. My bad then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
With that said. Samsung Q1 is out. Profit dropped 39%. Mobile division down 57%. I'm not sure the S6 is enough to turn around those huge numbers but it goes to show how important the next quarterly results are in telling us whatup.

Well all the other manufacturers are trying to help Samsung this year by releasing warmed up leftovers

Rootbeer

Banned
Need some advice.

I wiped my phone's cache through custom recovery and now strange stuff is happening.

right after I did it, and then rebooted my phone, I got the "Android is Starting" "Optimizing Apps" screen as it optimized about ~190 apps. This took a good 10 minutes. I thought maybe I accidentally wiped all of my data, but all the apps I installed were still there. Most still had my settings and login data, though a few such as twitter I had to relog into.

i'm rooted so I thought maybe i somehow lost root, but i tested it and root access is still there, so wtf happened?

Now, everytime I reboot my phone, it optimizes a few apps--not everything, but 3 or 4, not sure why or what the deal is.

I don't remember this ever happening before so I think something is broken. Anyone experienced this?

I'm on Android 5.1 (Nexus 5)

I'm thinking about reflashing but it's such a bullshit long process, sigh. Redowloading all of my apps... and doing a full backup doesn't make it much faster since it takes a long time to back things up off the phone.

Oh... and the LG G4 is a tad underwhelming. Might end up using my Nexus 5 for another full year, unless google puts a nice fingerprint scanner in the Nexus 6 successor to tempt me.

terrier

i posted similar thoughts some days ago. The 808 seems a step back compared to 805. Only advantage seems to be 64bit vs 32bit, but the switch to 64 bitsupport hasn't brought anything tangible yet afaik.
Rest of specs seem worse, less powerful cores, 2 vs 4, less capable GPU. And no quick charging. Only other positive i can think of could be less power consumption if little.big technology works using low power cores when needed instead of powerful ones.
It may be more capable than 801 as adreno 330 seemed to struggle when combined with QHD screens though.
LG really missed a chance by not having a fingerprint scanner on the power button. Perfect placement.
yup, i see it as a more natural fit than usual home button placing . Huawei did it right with the Mate7

terrier

That I didn't know. I'd actually consider an overeating quick charge phone, I can't live without it anymore.

same here, once you get used to it is just soooo convenient, much more than wireless charging IMO. And a must for devices with big batteries, and that includes G4's one.

edit. i read in a review yesterday that LG claimed it charged fast but it didn't have quickcharging, but reading 808 specs it seems to support that. I hope it does and i am wrong

Top Bottom