• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Husker86

Need some advice.

I wiped my phone's cache through custom recovery and now strange stuff is happening.

right after I did it, and then rebooted my phone, I got the "Android is Starting" "Optimizing Apps" screen as it optimized about ~190 apps. This took a good 10 minutes. I thought maybe I accidentally wiped all of my data, but all the apps I installed were still there. Most still had my settings and login data, though a few such as twitter I had to relog into.

i'm rooted so I thought maybe i somehow lost root, but i tested it and root access is still there, so wtf happened?

Now, everytime I reboot my phone, it optimizes a few apps--not everything, but 3 or 4, not sure why or what the deal is.

I don't remember this ever happening before so I think something is broken. Anyone experienced this?

I'm on Android 5.1 (Nexus 5)

I'm thinking about reflashing but it's such a bullshit long process, sigh. Redowloading all of my apps... and doing a full backup doesn't make it much faster since it takes a long time to back things up off the phone.

Oh... and the LG G4 is a tad underwhelming. Might end up using my Nexus 5 for another full year, unless google puts a nice fingerprint scanner in the Nexus 6 successor to tempt me.
It's slightly weird that it does it after every restart for a few apps, but that optimizing apps deal is perfectly normal. Wiping cache causes it to have to redo it for every app. It is something that needs to be done for ART.

Why'd you wipe your cache?

So since my note 4 IMEI is now blocked (thanks random craigslist seller for not paying your bill) what phone should I get....s6, nexus6...haven't really been keeping up with the latest devices.

Wreav

Banned
In a perfect world, they'd keep the back from the Note 4, which was a god-tier texture, mimic the chassis of the S6, steal the S6 cameras, and use the S6 fingerprint homebutton. That would be a perfect phone, removable back or not.

In a perfect world, they'd keep the back from the Note 4, which was a god-tier texture, mimic the chassis of the S6, steal the S6 cameras, and use the S6 fingerprint homebutton. That would be a perfect phone, removable back or not.

So in a perfect world, everything would be run and controlled by Samsung and if there's anything else, they will be set on fire?

No, god no. If they are going to turn the galaxy S line into a iphone knockoff they better leave shit like SD and removable battery on the Notes. It's the professional line anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's a good android keyboard? Is swift or swype good? Not liking the default on the xperia Z3, it keeps messing up the autocorrect

Saiyan-Rox

Guys I got my N9 today instead :D

I do now see what people meant about the buttons at the top and the light bleed. the light bleed doesn't bother me the buttons are a little annoying though.

Now to stay stock or flash cyanogen/AOSP 5.1.1

What's a good android keyboard? Is swift or swype good? Not liking the default on the xperia Z3, it keeps messing up the autocorrect

Google Keyboard is the way to go.

Picked up a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 in John Lewis for £119 (had £30 vouchers).

Glorious screen, and its fast. Feels a lot more responsive than my OnePlus One. Looking forward to finding out how the battery life is on this thing.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

I like SwiftKey, it keeps all my predictions in sync across devices.

Wreav

Banned
More proof that Google gives not a single fuck about Hangouts anymore -- Google Messenger gets a quick reply feature (finally!):

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...to-quick-reply-and-a-new-widget-apk-download/

It's almost like different teams are working on each product!

Looks like 5.1.1 is rolling out for the T-Mo Edge already. This bodes very well, shocked they're pushing it out so fast. Has guest mode, too.

20150428_135102.jpg

20150428_135109.jpg

More proof that Google gives not a single fuck about Hangouts anymore -- Google Messenger gets a quick reply feature (finally!):

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...to-quick-reply-and-a-new-widget-apk-download/
It's not that they don't care it's just that they're a fragmented company and it shows. The team that does messenger is likely different than the team that does hangouts with a different boss and their own todo list. Whoever runs the hangouts team either sucks, has their hands tied, or their manager sucks. Also explains why their iOS team would sometimes implement things before their android team does. There's no unified plan everyone just does their own shit.

Typical big business garbage.

Looks like 5.1.1 is rolling out for the T-Mo Edge already. This bodes very well, shocked they're pushing it out so fast. Has guest mode, too.
Yes, i know, but hangouts is how old now? And people have been asking for quick reply for a long time.

Wreav

Banned
It's either the Apple approach of built in core apps get a refresh every year (hopefully), or the Android model of you get what you get, but more often. Pick your poison. There are plenty of iOS apps (email) that have languished forever. Imagine if Gmail hadn't changed in 2 years.

ukas

20150428_135102.jpg

20150428_135109.jpg

Supposedly this is locking the TMO bootloader as well.

VoxPop

I'd take shitty T-Mobile service over any carrier any day. Non branded phones, quick updates, free data for streaming music, not as much bloatware on Android phones, best pricing model and usually the best phones. Good stuff. I hope they can make their infrastructure a lot better over the next few years.

Husker86

I'd take shitty T-Mobile service over any carrier any day. Non branded phones, quick updates, free data for streaming music, not as much bloatware on Android phones, best pricing model and usually the best phones. Good stuff. I hope they can make their infrastructure a lot better over the next few years.

If you truly felt the pain of shitty T-Mobile service, I don't think you'd be saying that. If you actually do feel the pain and have shitty service, then that's a really weird stance to have.

I do agree with your last sentence, though.

Toki767

I still really dislike that color combination for Samsung's notification shade. Darker tones wouldn't hurt.

Should be noted that it's T-Mobile in Europe, not in the US.

Xisiqomelir

Paul Thurrott's salt over the possibility of WM10 phones running Android apps is pretty delicious.

Welcome back, anti-SD friend.

Thurrott has always been a hack. He, like Enderle, is a holdover from the days of Redmond paying for press.

EDIT: Comments are golden

Microsoft has the superior mobile OS, they have the superior phones (in most cases), the only thing they don't have is the app library.

I can actually hear his anguished screams of pain from here.

Top Bottom