• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Hasney

Seems like the 808 in real world use will be just fine, and actually performs higher than the 810 when both units are warm.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...ragon-808-doesnt-get-so-hot-under-the-collar/

And here's Ars' original article regarding the 810's heat issues for reference.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/23/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-810s-heat-problems/

Nice, just about pulls in front of the 805 too in both multi and single core. LG have played a blinder on the chip selection.

Exynos still killing it though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Basically Samsung has a better chip set so who cares about the G4.

This ignores the fact that the screen and camera are being touted as better, and real world performance outside of games has hit a performance plateau for the average Joe across all flagship devices last year honestly.

Plus the G4 has a larger battery, and it's being touted as more energy efficient.

Design and skin are obviously personal preference, and we need that Anand review in terms of if all of that talk lives up to the hype. The idea that Samsung is a slam dunk is ludicrous at this stage is crazy though.

Basically Samsung has a better chip set so who cares about the G4.

This ignores the fact that the screen and camera are being touted as better, and real world performance outside of games has hit a performance plateau for the average Joe across all flagship devices last year honestly.

Plus the G4 has a larger battery, and it's being touted as more energy efficient.

Design and skin are obviously personal preference, and we need that Anand review in terms of if all of that talk lives up to the hype. The idea that Samsung is a slam dunk is ludicrous at this stage is crazy though.

Honestly, the only thing I wish it had was quick charging. I really wish it had quick charging.

Wreav

Banned
No out of the box wireless charging.

No quick charging.

God awful LG logo on front.

Plastic construction.

Inferior 808.

Back speaker.

Gross UI.

Lol, yeah, write it off.

Sch1sm

I still prefer plastic to glass, but that might just be me.

No. I prefer it, too. Then again I've just had really bad luck with glass lately.

I've cracked my N5 screen twice since March. Doubt I'll even repair this time. What's the point?

No out of the box wireless charging.

No quick charging.

God awful LG logo on front.

Plastic construction.

Inferior 808.

Back speaker.

Gross UI.

Lol, yeah, write it off.

Outkast wouldn't agree with you. Can't be serious, though. You prefer the 810?

Gross UI compared to what, anyway? Stock? TouchWiz? Sense? Genuinely curious.

reKon

Banned
So whats the general consensus on the Nexus 6?

Thinking of moving off my Z3V as I dont think its ever getting lolipop.

god damn, lol

I think it's definitely going to get Lollipop... but just at an insanely slow rate thanks to Verizon. Everyone else has the update

Wreav

Banned
I'm sure he means 808 compared to the Exynos and hopefully not compared to the 810.

Correct, the assumption was that the G4 was somehow Edging the S6.

The general consensus is that it's too big and slippery for comfort, has a camera that doesn't live up to its specs, has a screen that can be a little wonky, and is slower than most current flagships due to standard encryption.

The GAF consensus is that it's the most amazing phone ever created and graced upon us by master googy.

Hasney

Fantastic. Need to reboot every 3 days until the memory leak is totally stopped and the camera focuses in a weird fashion, but I've never been happier with a phone.

Wreav

Banned
stone-cold-o.gif

gcubed

On devices which have locked bootloaders, you can't just capture updates anymore

Good thing it didn't have one before the update!

The general consensus is that it's too big and slippery for comfort, has a camera that doesn't live up to its specs, has a screen that can be a little wonky, and is slower than most current flagships due to standard encryption.

The GAF consensus is that it's the most amazing phone ever created and graced upon us by master googy.

Im not sure if you just lost your brains when being banned or its just your general idiocy

kinggroin

Banned

Bad initial consensus unfortunately.

Camera is top 5 (weakness being slow stock software, video focusing, and edge to edge focus in still shots)
Phone encryption speed is no longer an issue
And the screen is good (great when you calibrate)

Its still one of the best phones with Android today. GS6, Note 4 and Z3 being the main contenders.

teiresias

I'm hoping for a Nexus 5 replacement (at the same size) at Google IO, since I can only take using this Nexus 5 with a cracked screen for so long.

Toki767

I'm hoping for a Nexus 5 replacement (at the same size) at Google IO, since I can only take using this Nexus 5 with a cracked screen for so long.

If they do come out with a new phone it probably won't be until November like usual. Less they want to piss off Nexus 6 owners like Apple did going from the iPhone to iPhone 3G.

At this rate I'm just hoping for an updated Nexus 7.

CronoShot

Seems like the 808 in real world use will be just fine, and actually performs higher than the 810 when both units are warm.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...ragon-808-doesnt-get-so-hot-under-the-collar/

And here's Ars' original article regarding the 810's heat issues for reference.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/23/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-810s-heat-problems/
They could have just used the 810 and disabled two of the cores for the same effect. That way they could have kept the Adreno 430, LPDDR4 RAM, and quick charging.

They just want to save a few bucks.

Philippo

Is there any app to control my phone from a pc?
Mostly to make/answer calls and reply texts.
Because i've got no signal in the house and have to leave the phone at the entrance, something to use it from the distance would make it more welcome.

NotBacon

Never been happier with a phone, and it's still one of the best you can buy right now (and the near future, taking into consideration Qualcomm's fuckup).

Weaknesses: Camera focusing with macro shots, and it's a little slippery (put a skin on it).

Strengths: Screen, speed, UI/UX, Qi+Quick charging (great if you have subpar battery life due to reception, rogue apps, etc.), Active Display, Moto Dimple™...

Toki767

Is there any app to control my phone from a pc?
Mostly to make/answer calls and reply texts.
Because i've got no signal in the house and have to leave the phone at the entrance, something to use it from the distance would make it more welcome.

Push Bullet will give you all your notifications on your PC and let you respond to texts. It won't let you do phone calls though. Everything else is pretty great.

I will say, even though it sucks that the G4 doesn't have wireless charging or quick charging, the fact it has a big battery, more power efficient SoC and screen and an interchangeable battery makes up for it.

Hasney

I will say, even though it sucks that the G4 doesn't have wireless charging or quick charging, the fact it has a big battery, more power efficient SoC and screen and an interchangeable battery makes up for it.

I'd wait on the battery tests. One of the Snapdragons aces was the power management of the custom cores, but the 808 doesn't have that. Sure, it'll spank an 810, but will be interesting against an 800/801/805.

Saiyan-Rox

Push Bullet will give you all your notifications on your PC and let you respond to texts. It won't let you do phone calls though. Everything else is pretty great.

I used to do this until I found out sending long messages split the messages up and sent 4 in a row instead of sending one long message

Toki767

you can't "make up" for quick charging.

that's a #gamechanger

Kind of situational I guess. If I were to go camping or something along those lines, packing an extra battery that lasts longer than the one non-removable one on the S6 is probably something that's way more practical than quick charging where you have no outlets.

I'd still prefer quick charging than not, but then again, it's not a dealbreaker for me because I never have to plug in my phone until I go to sleep (sometimes not even till the next day). I'd probably never be able to do that on an S6.

Kind of situational I guess. If I were to go camping or something along those lines, packing an extra battery that lasts longer than the one non-removable one on the S6 is probably something that's way more practical than quick charging where you have no outlets.

I'd still prefer quick charging than not, but then again, it's not a dealbreaker for me because I never have to plug in my phone until I go to sleep (sometimes not even till the next day). I'd probably never be able to do that on an S6.

if you're going camping, why wouldn't you pack a 13000 mAh portable battery pack? swappable batteries are awesome for everyday 'oops, heavy usage' times though!

Top Bottom