• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I got my z3v! No regrets. First time with android and overwhelmed with options and the learning curve. Not sure what to do with the home screen yet so I just put Power Toggle there lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I got my z3v! No regrets. First time with android and overwhelmed with options and the learning curve. Not sure what to do with the home screen yet so I just put Power Toggle there lol

Personally I went overboard initially with android,many widgets everywhere. Now I've oared it back a lot.

On my Z3 I installed nova launcher which gives you more options for layout - eg I have 7 icons in my dock; then I have tesla unread which lets me put badges on some of my apps to show eg unread SMS count; and an icon lack as the default Sony ones are a little dull.

Other than that, have a play with widgets, see what you like

NotBacon

Google Now Launcher, Google Keyboard, Google Messenger, Google Keep, Google News&Weather (great weather widget), Cabinet, Airdroid, Sync for Reddit, and Wally are my favorite apps.

Put Google in your veins and you'll be happy.

But really, those apps are nice. Also stay away from any antivirus, task killers, etc.
Also go to Settings>Apps>All and disable any apps that came with the phone that you don't think you'll use.

MercuryLS

Banned
I have no idea what happened to my calendar on the S6. When I check my google account syncs calendar isn't there. Regardless of whether I use Google's or a 3rd party app it can't find any calendars to sync to. Does anyone know what's going on here? I tried to delete the Google account and add it again and that didn't help.

Husker86

Why would I have to do that when it's faster to just pop out a battery? Do those battery packs support quick charging?
Some do but they are really hard to find. I'm looking for one currently and the only one I've found from Aukey isn't in stock anywhere.

If you guys aren't already, you gotta try Solid Explorer 2.0 beta. It's one of the best material apps out there. Still buggy of course since it's beta. It has, in my opinion, the best built in music player for a file manager. You can even bring it up within other apps by tapping on the notification as it's a floating player, kinda like Samsung's.

I think the G4 is a solid phone and I absolutely hate when phones are called "unexciting" considering you can't make huge ass splashes at redesigns every year. With that said though, now that I've had time to mull it over, it is ultimately disappointing.

Other than the good battery life I feel like they didn't work hard enough. Software remains mostly unchanged. Phone got bigger with the same screen size. Camera software seems a bit spotty, possibly a waste of a sick sensor, no fingerprint sensor as a bonus. There's nothing about it at all that will make you scream for it. I'm not even mentioning CPU because I don't care these days, real world use is all close enough. But you can throw that on there as well if that's your thing. No quick charging definitely sucks too.

Samsung is still the winner of the year. Few more interesting/less predictable phones to go between the Moto X 2015, Nexus 2015, OnePlus 2 (which I think could be a dark horse given all the rumours), and possibly a real Sony flagship.

Guess we'll see.

Personally I went overboard initially with android,many widgets everywhere. Now I've oared it back a lot.

On my Z3 I installed nova launcher which gives you more options for layout - eg I have 7 icons in my dock; then I have tesla unread which lets me put badges on some of my apps to show eg unread SMS count; and an icon lack as the default Sony ones are a little dull.

Other than that, have a play with widgets, see what you like

Google Now Launcher, Google Keyboard, Google Messenger, Google Keep, Google News&Weather (great weather widget), Cabinet, Airdroid, Sync for Reddit, and Wally are my favorite apps.

Put Google in your veins and you'll be happy.

But really, those apps are nice. Also stay away from any antivirus, task killers, etc.
Also go to Settings>Apps>All and disable any apps that came with the phone that you don't think you'll use.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions!! If you have anymore tips please let me know.

yes don't download any kind of task killer and there is no need to swipe away your recent apps

Can I get some suggestions on what not to download and what to disable?

I tried disabling some apps earlier and stopped because a warning message about built in apps being unstable if disabled

NotBacon

If money is not a problem, what's the best Android available on the market right now?

Probably the lamborghini phone.

Serious answer: Note 4, Nexus 6, or Galaxy S6 (if your hands are tiny).

I tried disabling some apps earlier and stopped because a warning message about built in apps being unstable if disabled

Mmmmmm depends. Remember you can always re-enable things.

Just stay away from things named like com.blah.whatever, or anything that looks important/system related.

CronoShot

A carrier Samsung phone is getting 5.1.1 before literally any Nexus phone.

stunned.gif

Hasney

What's actually in 5.1.1? If it's just another 5.0.2 for specific devices, the next some manufacturers will port it to say they did. If it's got some phone relevant stuff in there, then that's a little f'd.

VoxPop

What are the chances a stock Android 5.x rom will drop on the T-Mo S6 Edge anytime soon? Itching to get rid of TW and tinker a bit.

So today I found out Android's VPN client doesn't support TAP, only TUN. This means it's not compatible with my new Netgear router's built-in OpenVPN which only runs in TAP mode. The only way around this is to install DD-WRT on my router even though the stock firmware otherwise works just fine. Goddammit Googy!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

i didn't disable anything - I deleted all the Sony widgets but left the apps installed. They don't register on the battery usage monitor so I don't think any of them are always running or using resources.

Oh, grab an SD card as my 16GB internal started filling up very quickly, especially with podcasts.

longdi

Banned
Played with M9 demo set and was it a POS crapshit.

Just 15mins of messing around with 4K videos, camera, gallery, internet, demos, was enough to make the phone heat up in a why the fuck is it hot! way. The back and front were noticeably heating up unlike any Android phones before. HTC locked the brightness settings and no games were installed btw.

I also dislike the tiered unibody, it is less wieldy, looks/feels cheap and probably is cheaper to make. I can see gaps between the 2 layers which makes for a nice dust depository. Hate to say this, but S6 build is much better, everything from its aluminium frame, screen quality, hardware buttons, and even speaker are better. Roles have switched, Samsung is more premium. And S6 is the only phone that I can say the performance is a step up from the old 801/805. M9 does not feel any faster than my Z2 on 5.0.2. Samsung have got this now.

The other phone makers need to stop relying on Qualcomm, they have a spotty record. Only the 801/805 are considered good imo.

Sony Z4 is fucked

Played with M9 demo set and was it a POS crapshit.

Just 15mins of messing around with 4K videos, camera, gallery, internet, demos, was enough to make the phone heat up in a why the fuck is it hot! way. The back and front were noticeably heating up unlike any Android phones before. HTC locked the brightness settings and no games were installed btw.

I also dislike the tiered unibody, it is less wieldy, looks/feels cheap and probably is cheaper to make. I can see gaps between the 2 layers which makes for a nice dust depository. Hate to say this, but S6 build is much better, everything from its aluminium frame, screen quality, hardware buttons, and even speaker are better. Roles have switched, Samsung is more premium. And S6 is the only phone that I can say the performance is a step up from the old 801/805. M9 does not feel any faster than my Z2 on 5.0.2. Samsung have got this now.

The other phone makers need to stop relying on Qualcomm, they have a spotty record. Only the 801/805 are considered good imo.

Sony Z4 is fucked

Probably didnt have the update that throttled the shit out of it yet

Husker86

Yeah, I've had to switch to the stock S6 browser. It's crazy how much better it is than Chrome...and it takes a lot to get me to stop using Chrome on a device.

That would be a god send. I'm so sick of one of my in-laws blabbing about how much smoother safari is than chrome

Hasney

I've had no real issue with Chrome and I haven't found a browser I've liked better on my phone, but the CM browser on my tablet now is fantastic.

Now I just need to ween myself off of Chrome sync.

teiresias

has anyone ordered from Etradesupply before? I'm thinking of ordering a Nexus 5 screen and front housing part from them and attempting to swap it out for my broken one. It doesn't look too terribly difficult to remove everything that needs to be removed and replace it on the new housing.

Otherwise, depending on what happens at IO in terms of Nexus and the 5-size phone I may just move to a OPO.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Less than 1% battery drain per hour for me on the S6 while sleeping. Get your house in order.

That's maddening, the randomness of it all. Go ahead and gloat, it'll eventually happen to you and you'll come here and bitch too. It's not a matter of if, your phone's performance WILL degrade.

Also, fun fact, that's with data turned off. Just WiFi.

Toki767

That's maddening, the randomness of it all. Go ahead and gloat, it'll eventually happen to you and you'll come here and bitch too. It's not a matter of if, your phone's performance WILL degrade.

What phone are you using?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Note 4. Google has managed to make its battery life average, even below average at times. Congrats Google, that must have been a difficult feat to pull off.

Husker86

Mobile data is always turned off if WiFi is connected.

Top Bottom