• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

5.0 is absolute garbage. Anyone that argues differently is a fool.

Google better have serious battery and performance improvements coming at i/o or apple is really going to start laying the smack down on them.

Random wakelocks and battery drain are staples of Android, man.

It really bothers me how android has all these system related things that are always fighting battery and updates are like wild cards in terms of making them a lot worse or better. I guess it's part of the experience o_0

I hope when google talks about the next version of Android whether that's at I/O soon or whenever, they bring up battery life.

Toki767

I wonder why someone couldn't take the Android Wear APIs and use them to create a PC program that will allow you to make and receive phone calls or do all the other Android Wear app stuff on your PC without needing to use Google Voice and all the other workarounds.

NotBacon

Google trying to improve the scrolling in chrome

http://www.androidauthority.com/reduce-lag-chrome-android-task-scheduler-605626/

Hope they manage - can't believe how jerky the scrolling can be even on simple pages with a powerful device. Makes the entire phone feel underpowered.

Praise Goog!

Just like Volta was supposed to help battery life, too, right?

*looks at vanilla lollipop phone*
*on track for ~6 hrs screen on time*

*whistles*

I guess a good counterexample though is the Note 4 starting to drain like crazy for some who updated lol.

We're all just delaying the inevitable. 2016 is the year of Win10 phones, and it will be glorious.

You never know. The Android flagship this year has shit battery life . Maybe people will start looking else ware that dont want Apple .

Praise Goog!

*whistles*

I guess a good counterexample though is the Note 4 starting to drain like crazy for some who updated lol.

Lay off the koolaid man. Its starting to get hard to believe the accuracy of your posts even when they are.

I won't lie, as a 100% Windows PC/laptop/tablet user, the W10 continuum stuff is really compelling.

meh there's very little MS could do to ever get me to want to use WP10. The whole OS is just a bust imo. Needs to go back to the drawing board. I'd say that's just me but it seems the vast majority has spoken on that as well.

I'm a windows guy too though.

Hasney

Make continium x86 or bust. Hate windows 8 on an ARM tablet. If I can use it to stream Steam, I might have a reason to look.

Toki767

meh there's very little MS could do to ever get me to want to use WP10. The whole OS is just a bust imo. Needs to go back to the drawing board. I'd say that's just me but it seems the vast majority has spoken on that as well.

Basically how I feel.

Plus I really hate the Metro Modern look.

Basically how I feel.

Plus I really hate the Metro Modern look.
I love Windows and I'm very excited about W10, but on phones it's a bust. It also doesn't help that I think the metro design looks terrible on phones. It's weird, but to me, on large screens the design looks great, but on phones I think it's ugly as hell. Is to cramped or cluttered or something.

NotBacon

Lay off the koolaid man. Its starting to get hard to believe the accuracy of your posts even when they are.

Don't care. You can believe whatever you want to believe, i'll keep posting anecdotes/opinions/discussion as I always have.
If you're looking for inaccurate posts, you're better off with Wreav or someone else.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Which should be more stable for music streaming - miracast or chromecast's 'cast screen'? Trying both and both seem to keep cutting out and dropping connection.

This was with a Z3 connecting to a Bravia TV with miracast support, or a chromecast dongle. Also tried to my xbox one but the phone was complaining about no HDCP so refused to work.

HoodWinked

is there any good android keyboards because every keyboard has one issue or another its so frustrating.

swiftkey gets the most right but still several annoying things like garbage spell check really stupid (.) key size on horizontal. word suggestion touch box is easily accidently touched.

I still can't decide between the S6, S6 Edge or neither. Logically the S6 makes more sense given the Edge's faults but the Edge just looks cool. I've also never dealt with carrier bloat or branding so that's off putting too.

Toki767

I still can't decide between the S6, S6 Edge or neither. Logically the S6 makes more sense given the Edge's faults but the Edge just looks cool. I've also never dealt with carrier bloat or branding so that's off putting too.

Have you tried holding the Edge? I found it kind of uncomfortable in my palm.

Hasney

Which should be more stable for music streaming - miracast or chromecast's 'cast screen'? Trying both and both seem to keep cutting out and dropping connection.

This was with a Z3 connecting to a Bravia TV with miracast support, or a chromecast dongle. Also tried to my xbox one but the phone was complaining about no HDCP so refused to work.

I've found recently that in a built up area with a lot of signals, it's hard to use either over even N WiFi. Using ac devices has fixed it for me.

I'm more worried about the glare which isn't a factor on the S6, the warping of anything including text that hits the edge and the color shift at the edge. I'm afraid those will bother me in the long run once the shiny factor wears off.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've found recently that in a built up area with a lot of signals, it's hard to use either over even N WiFi. Using ac devices has fixed it for me.

But chromecast is only 2.4GHz g/n, and my TV is probably no better - miracast should support LAN connection as my TV is wired.

Soodanim

My Nexus 4 waited until I was out at a party across town to let something fuck up the nav bar. That's good fun. Luckily after a few restarts (everyone else in the room disappeared to me by this point, I was committed to sorting this shit out) I managed to sort out getting home. Luckily I was ready to leave anyway. I'm typing this on my N7 as my cache rebuilds (Google suggested search let's me know this is common enough). I'm not sure what ruined my phone, but Contacts+ (only used as a Facebook profile pic/details sync app, feel free to recommend a new one) has been updating recently. Deleted Facebook as it doesn't do much but take spacw anyway, but I'm not sure what else it could be. I uninstalled anything from the last couple days (just Opera).

jey_16

Banned
I'm more worried about the glare which isn't a factor on the S6, the warping of anything including text that hits the edge and the color shift at the edge. I'm afraid those will bother me in the long run once the shiny factor wears off.

that made me go for the S6 in the end.....after trying them out in the store, i realised the colour shift on the edges would really annoy me.

Sch1sm

Praise Goog!

*whistles*

Tell that to my stock N5, like zero modification whatsoever, only two or three apps aside factory settings. 2.5 SoT. Nothing good has come of Lollipop for me. :c

NotBacon

S6 or Note 4, if you had to choose one?

Note 4.

Tell that to my stock N5, like zero modification whatsoever, only two or three apps aside factory settings. 2.5 SoT. Nothing good has come of Lollipop for me. :c

Yeah every one is having a different experience. Some people are reporting no change in battery life, a bunch are reporting worse, and a bunch are reporting better. So I guess it would actually qualify as a fail lol.

My Nexus 5 battery seems to be shot (I get like 6 hours per charge on it now), so I think Im going to pick up a Xperia Z3C.

Any cases you guys recommend? I like my LG Quick Cover on my Nexus 5, so I will probably go with something similar, but Im open to any suggestions.

sideloading and multitasking would be a start.

Hey are there any high end phablets that compete with the Note 4? Are any of them recommended?

the Note 3.

get the edge.

I upgraded to the 5.1.1 nightlies on my OPO. I still hate this notification system. Is there no way to see the notification light for texts when your phone screen is off? Also I hate how it shoves a text in your face when you unlock. Why can't I just see the symbol from the status bar like KitKat? It also used to show me I had a text even from the lock screen on KitKat and now it doesn't .

UraMallas

Hey, guys. Quick question.

I just came over from WP8 and something that really bothers me about the adjustment is that when I want to watch a video it doesn't automatically go into landscape mode for videos when I turn the phone on its side. Any way to make this happen? I keep having to watch 16:9 videos in portrait.

Thanks.

Hey, guys. Quick question.

I just came over from WP8 and something that really bothers me about the adjustment is that when I want to watch a video it doesn't automatically go into landscape mode for videos when I turn the phone on its side. Any way to make this happen? I keep having to watch 16:9 videos in portrait.

Thanks.

Did you um turn the phone sideways?

I did. I said that in my post. Is there a simple setting I'm missing? My main frustration with this is the MLB videos and some select others but I think they all do it.

Did you turn the phone sideways while holding it up vertically, so the gyroscope tells the phone it is now sideways?

Do you have Screen Rotation turned off for some reason?

Top Bottom