• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

UraMallas

Yeah. Nothing is working to make my screen move. I take pictures, I try to watch videos, etc. Nothing changes. Any ideas?

EDIT: I found the screen rotation settings and it's set to 'Rotate screen content'. So, that shouldn't be the issue. Is my Galaxy S6 Edge busted?

Hasney

Yeah. Nothing is working to make my screen move. I take pictures, I try to watch videos, etc. Nothing changes. Any ideas?

Which phone is it? If you're on lollipop, bring down the quick settings with 2 swipes down from the notification panel and there should be something that says portrait. Touch that and it'll change to auto rotate.

UraMallas

Which phone is it? If you're on lollipop, bring down the quick settings with 2 swipes down from the notification panel and there should be something that says portrait. Touch that and it'll change to auto rotate.

Okay. I did that and both ways won't move my videos.

Groof

Well. What apps should do it? Should Facebook do it? Should Snapchat do it? WP would change the orientation on basically all apps. This phone won't change it when I open up any.

Facebook should, Snapchat would not. Some apps are locked in a portrait orientation. Try opening a video in your gallery app, if it still doesn't work then either there's a software glitch or your gyro is busted.

UraMallas

Facebook should, Snapchat would not. Some apps are locked in a portrait orientation. Try opening a video in your gallery app, if it still doesn't work then either there's a software glitch or your gyro is busted.

Yeah. It doesn't move. God damn it. I change ecosystems and I get a lemon.

Thanks for your help.

UraMallas

Before anything, try a factory reset if possible. It can sometimes help with the most random things. Hope it works out!

Did a factory restart. It now will only start videos in the native aspect ratio. If it's 16:9, it will not let me move the phone to make them be 16:9 in portrait and vice-versa. Facebook feed will not move from portrait to landscape (it's supposed to, right?) so I think I have a defective unit. Does that sound right?

Ok got the M9 for an upgrade, and its a bust.

So.

I'm gonna return the M9 regardless, should I just keep the M8 which I love or should I go Nexus.

Hasney

Ok got the M9 for an upgrade, and its a bust.

So.

I'm gonna return the M9 regardless, should I just keep the M8 which I love or should I go Nexus.

We're a month away from I/O so may as well wait and see what Google has. If they have nothing, the Nexus 6 is fantastic if you can handle the size.

We're a month away from I/O so may as well wait and see what Google has. If they have nothing, the Nexus 6 is fantastic if you can handle the size.
I may do that. Wait and see.

I held one in the store and it wasn't too bad, I'm just in love with the M8 and the M7 before it, I love sense but I'm also a google freak. I constantly switch between ARHD Roms and GPE Roms.

Wreav

Banned

EDIT: I found the screen rotation settings and it's set to 'Rotate screen content'. So, that shouldn't be the issue. Is my Galaxy S6 Edge busted?
Google for 10 seconds, there's a massive Edge bug with screen rotation. It'll likely be a software fix.

Symphonia

Banned
Asking on behalf of a relative.

They have a Samsung Galaxy S5 16GB. They barely have any videos or photos on there (under 10MB in total) and only 300MB of apps installed, yet it's showing as only having under 1GB of storage free. Is this a bug of some sort? They have cleared the cache/data for all apps and it recovered about 50MB, give or take a few. They want to avoid factory resetting and they have uninstalled any bloatware and apps they don't use. Any advice, guys?

Hasney

Asking on behalf of a relative.

They have a Samsung Galaxy S5 16GB. They barely have any videos or photos on there (under 10MB in total) and only 300MB of apps installed, yet it's showing as only having under 1GB of storage free. Is this a bug of some sort? They have cleared the cache/data for all apps and it recovered about 50MB, give or take a few. They want to avoid factory resetting and they have uninstalled any bloatware and apps they don't use. Any advice, guys?

Go into settings and into storage, it should say where the space is going.

Symphonia

Banned
Go into settings and into storage, it should say where the space is going.
I thought we had cleared the cached app data (Application Manager > App > Clear Cache) but according to the feature you suggested, there was 7.91GB data in the cache. All cleared now, though. Thanking you kindly, good sir.

Soodanim

I'm about ready to give up on my N4. The digitizer seems to be going/damaged/something, and the bottom (nav bar) no longer works. Was thinking about replacing it anyway.

At about £150, the 1st gen Moto G used to be the king of its price range. What about now? How does the Moto G 4G 2nd gen fare? The Moto E 2nd gen seems to have amazing battery life, but the resolution and cameras are a downgrade I'm not willing to have. I'm looking to buy today.

Also, what's the state of microSD slots? I assume at the very minimum I can throw some music on there, but what about something like app caches and installations? Trying to live within the limits of the 8GB model N4 has become a pain. Even just storing pictures/videos/music/Google Play Music cache on SD would be nice.

kharma45

I'm about ready to give up on my N4. The digitizer seems to be going/damaged/something, and the bottom (nav bar) no longer works. Was thinking about replacing it anyway.

At about £150, the 1st gen Moto G used to be the king of its price range. What about now? How does the Moto G 4G 2nd gen fare? The Moto E 2nd gen seems to have amazing battery life, but the resolution and cameras are a downgrade I'm not willing to have. I'm looking to buy today.

Also, what's the state of microSD slots? I assume at the very minimum I can throw some music on there, but what about something like app caches and installations? Trying to live within the limits of the 8GB model N4 has become a pain. Even just storing pictures/videos/music/Google Play Music cache on SD would be nice.

You don't have to go as high as £150 for a Moto G. You can get the 2nd Gen Moto G for £120 through VM http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin...ink&CMP=DFA:1921185:115854766:288872041:%ecid The phone comes unlocked as well#

First gen 4G model is £95 on Tesco Mobile, an unlock code for it is ~£1.50 on eBay http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-m...-4g-white/631-6473.prd?sc_cmp=tp4_aff_1018132

Welp, may 2nd and still no eta on the droid turbo update

cookie_monster_waiting.gif

The last Nexus tablet/phone google announced at I/O was 2012. Plus there has been zero leaks.

Welp, may 2nd and still no eta on the droid turbo update

cookie_monster_waiting.gif

Yeah now its starting to get a little annoying. I'm on the 2013 X and the Brazil 5.1 Rom leaked but considering that the turbo is a VZW device you may be waiting quite a while yet for 5.1

The last Nexus tablet/phone google announced at I/O was 2012. Plus there has been zero leaks.

Yeah now its starting to get a little annoying. I'm on the 2013 X and the Brazil 5.1 Rom leaked but considering that the turbo is a VZW device you may be waiting quite a while yet for 5.1

Verizon has actually been really good about lollipop on pretty much every other device though. I was blaming them at first, but I'm starting to think Motorola had something to do with it.

Some google guy on google+ said N9 should get 5.1.1 soon. "Last minute bugs"....

....lol. But yeah aint no phone coming at google i/o. The rest of the phones coming this year are all Q3/Q4.

ito007

I'm definitely starting to get very frustrated with Motorola. The longer my 2013 X takes to update the more disappointed I get. I remember being hyped for lollipop months ago.

I'm definitely starting to get very frustrated with Motorola. The longer my 2013 X takes to update the more disappointed I get. I remember being hyped for lollipop months ago.

You can flash yours to it though sense the lollipop ROM is in the wild, I don't even get that and I have the newest phone Motorola produced outside of the ultra-budget moto e

Soodanim

Went phone shopping and nowhere has a Moto G to look at. I wanted to see if the pixel density was bad or not, is that too much to ask? Fuck Virgin, O2, Vodafone, Carphone Warehouse, and 3. Damn, forgot to check EE. Guess they shouldn't have their shop in a shit location. And so close to a Greggs.

I did see the Xperia Z3 Compact for £225 in Vodafone, I'm thinking of stretching my budget and getting that but I'll have to unlock it. Any experience with that, GAF?

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah I threw mine in a case and its not that noticeable now. It will be really interesting to see what 5.1.1 does for the K1 or we will find out if it was stupid to use a K1 in a tablet.

Also saw the memory leak people were talking about. Had to shut down the tablet due to lag and it shutting down apps on me. Yeah hopefully 5.1.1 fixes it Google have dropped the ball on nexus this cycle. They're nice devices just bug ridden.

Hasney

From what I've read, the memory leak bug fix wasn't included in 5.1.1 unless they're doing it on a per-device basis.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Went phone shopping and nowhere has a Moto G to look at. I wanted to see if the pixel density was bad or not, is that too much to ask? Fuck Virgin, O2, Vodafone, Carphone Warehouse, and 3. Damn, forgot to check EE. Guess they shouldn't have their shop in a shit location. And so close to a Greggs.

I did see the Xperia Z3 Compact for £225 in Vodafone, I'm thinking of stretching my budget and getting that but I'll have to unlock it. Any experience with that, GAF?

It's ace, providing you're ok with that size screen (basically iPhone 6 size screen but I'm just pointing it out as so many high end phones have 5"+ screens now). Same internals as a Z3 - quad core, 3Gb ram, 2 day battery life, waterproof, magnetic charging dock accessory is nice, can be converted to wireless charging with a case.

Good price too.

Hasney

Yeah its not fixed even on the nexus 6 but its a lot better. Google are getting sloppy with the software.

5.1.1 isn't out for Nexus 6 yet. We can still live in misguided hope, even if I do think 5.1.1 is going to be like 5.0.2 and only target specific devices.

Also saw the memory leak people were talking about. Had to shut down the tablet due to lag and it shutting down apps on me. Yeah hopefully 5.1.1 fixes it Google have dropped the ball on nexus this cycle. They're nice devices just bug ridden.

Its a performance mess even after fresh boots. Especially if you use multiple profiles. 5.0 for this tablet was no way near finished.

Esqueleto

Banned
It's ace, providing you're ok with that size screen (basically iPhone 6 size screen but I'm just pointing it out as so many high end phones have 5"+ screens now). Same internals as a Z3 - quad core, 3Gb ram, 2 day battery life, waterproof, magnetic charging dock accessory is nice, can be converted to wireless charging with a case.

Good price too.

Mine only has 2 gb of ram. Also I wasn't able to find the wireless charging case. Seems it's only for the regular z3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mine only has 2 gb of ram. Also I wasn't able to find the wireless charging case. Seems it's only for the regular z3.

Oh, my mistake on the ram. But still a good amount.

Surprised by the wireless charging case - both Z3 and compact have an identical magnetic charging port, which is how the case attaches. So making one for the compact would have been trivial.

Leonsito

Is still worth buying the Nexus 6 today? My gf has a Nexus 4 and since the lollipop update she is having a lot of problems...

Soodanim

Is still worth buying the Nexus 6 today? My gf has a Nexus 4 and since the lollipop update she is having a lot of problems...

What problems? My N4's navigation bar died last night and the entire screen locks up at times too. But I think it's a hardware problem, not software.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sure is. Buy my spare BNIB Nexus 6. PM me if interested.

so my mom's GS6 Edge is defective. constantly rebooting on her since Friday...

of course i had to drop the "should have gotten the Note 4" line when she told me.

replacement should get to her by Tuesday.

I took a GS6 home from work for a few days this week. I really liked using it as my main but I consistently got 2.5 hours of SoT...sometimes a bit less. Bleh. Samsung coulda had it all.

I took a GS6 home from work for a few days this week. I really liked using it as my main but I consistently got 2.5 hours of SoT...sometimes a bit less. Bleh. Samsung coulda had it all.
Every time I feel I'm about to pull the trigger, I read something like this that makes me stop. Bleh that's terrible screen on time.

Every time I feel I'm about to pull the trigger, I read something like this that makes me stop. Bleh that's terrible screen on time.
lol my work wants to give me a newer business phone so I'm taking random ones home trying to decide which I want to carry as a second phone possibly. Haven't decided yet :/

Toki767

I feel like in order to make that phone truly worth while, you'd have to have wireless charging pads pretty much everywhere. And even then if you're outside for like half a day you'd still better carry a portable battery charger.

Top Bottom