• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I got hands on a s6 today. Shocked how light it was and that screen is oh so beautiful. Definitely the smart phone to get if you don't want a bigger screen. Screen felt small after using my OPO for so long.

RuGalz

you can throw a launcher on top of stock android for enhanced experience. throwing a launcher on top of oem skin often still have to deal with oem skin's wackiness. I can't believe they still haven't gotten rid of s-voice after all these years...

you can throw a launcher on top of stock android for enhanced experience. throwing a launcher on top of oem skin often still have to deal with oem skin's wackiness. I can't believe they still haven't gotten rid of s-voice after all these years...

Why would they get rid of it when their goal is to leave android?

NotBacon

I bet he's never even used stock Android for any length of time, people just like to shit on Touchwiz because they think it's cool

TouchWiz is nice this year. Like a major upgrade. Just don't kid yourselves into thinking it's as good as stock. It's still jarring coming from such a simple elegant experience (stock).

terrier

TouchWiz is nice this year. Like a major upgrade. Just don't kid yourselves into thinking it's as good as stock. It's still jarring coming from such a simple elegant experience (stock).

While stock is elegant, especially now that we have lollipop, it wasn't in the Kit kat era: it was 'simple', but not elegant. Stock android is also lacking in features and is far from ideal. For example why can't i have a ,as my main screen a page without widgets or shortcuts and anothe one on the right wit the calendar? Stock android doesn't allow blank screens. Most launchers allow this, but google launcher doesn't.

TW needs optimization, but that's it, it is not better or worse than other launchers/UIs, it is just different.

This is not looking good for Motorola. The 808 is obviously junk as well. I really hope they stay with 1080p or the 2015 moto x will not be a good phone.

Groof

Phone arena is the last site I'd ever go to for reviews, but it's a shame to see their findings on the colour reproduction.
And wasn't fast charging confirmed? Feels like this is the first time I've heard someone say it isn't in there.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
For a first review, I wouldn't trust it 100% either - just thought it was worth posting

Phone arena is the last site I'd ever go to for reviews, but it's a shame to see their findings on the colour reproduction.
And wasn't fast charging confirmed? Feels like this is the first time I've heard someone say it isn't in there.

dunno, nobody seems to be 101% sure - to be fair, LG's site doesn't even mention it

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/g4/tech_specs

Damn... you may be right about that.

Well from a tech consumers standpoint if the moto is a flop hopefully we can get a regular sized nexus with the 820.
Either way you look at it Apple is going to take a ton of marketshare because of qualcomm

I guess we will get a better idea if the 808 is awful soon.

Toki767

I don't know that I'd believe that the G4 has worse battery life than the S6. Especially since the G3 can get over 4 hours and the S6 probably struggles getting to 3 hours.

Hasney

I expect it to be just like the G3 aka it doesn't have the flashy name, but it charges fast just fine with the included charger.

The G3 never charged fast, just normally. The whole point of quick charging is to get a good number of hours in the phone quickly when it's on low battery, not to charge it to 100% much quicker (although the net benefit is it will be slightly quicker).

I know some people have issues with Phone Arena, but I usually find their battery league table placements fine even if the number is a little off compared to others.

vhoQURY.png

The fact that the S6 has a longer battery life with a smaller battery is kind of amazing.

Also, to get your battery replaced in your S6 (when outside of warranty) is $45. Compared to the iPhone which is $79.

Toki767

The fact that the S6 has a longer battery life with a smaller battery is kind of amazing.

Also, to get your battery replaced in your S6 (when outside of warranty) is $45. Compared to the iPhone which is $79.

Was curious about that. To get an iPhone battery replaced you can just take it to an Apple Store. But to get Samsung/HTC/whatever else replaced you'd have to send it in rather than go to a store right?

Hasney

They just give you a different iPhone and switch it out.

And yeah, you have to ship Samsung even if it's in warranty. Then if they say that the logo is slightly scratched off so it must be your fault, they want to charge you £150 just to reaplce the USB port whereas when I dropped my iPhone 4S 64GB down the toilet, I went into the Apple store, they checked the water sensors anyway as if they didn't trigger they would have done it under warranty, then took £70 and I walked out of the store with a new iPhone.

MercuryLS

Banned
Was curious about that. To get an iPhone battery replaced you can just take it to an Apple Store. But to get Samsung/HTC/whatever else replaced you'd have to send it in rather than go to a store right?

Samsung is rolling out more service centres, there's 3 in the Greater Toronto Area including one that is 20mins from me. Same day service, I hope they continue to roll these out. Also if your S6's battery drops lower than 80% capacity within a year they'll swap it out for free.

Hasney

Are they just going to roll with the 6 inch phone for the rest of the Nexus line? Are they even going to replace the 7? Or is it the 9 or nothing from the Nexus line?

Think he means the I/O part. While there's always a chance, they're usually at the end of the year.

Top Bottom