• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I'm just saying it seems like marketing is being put forward first and then coverage second.

How would you know? T-mobile has expanded a ton compared to 4-5 years ago. You just rarely hear about it. Meanwhile yeah Verizon likes to remind you of their network every minutes. Compare T-mobile from 4 years ago to now and you won't be singing the same tune.

alleged

three.png

That panel... Ugh

DAT BATTERYYYYYYYYYY

Based motorola. I'm ok with the panel. QHD is pretty unnecessary though and 1080p would make the battery that much better. Props on the 4gb ram at least.

Now all I need to see is OnePlus 2 specs and Nexus 2015.

RuGalz

Qualcomm really screwed everyone this year. My most anticipated phone was OP2 if they make a smaller version but if it's this year then lol. Maybe Android will actually take advantage of 64 bit next year and Qualcomm will have a chance to undo what they did this year.

Qualcomm really screwed everyone this year. My most anticipated phone was OP2 if they make a smaller version but if it's this year then lol. Maybe Android will actually take advantage of 64 bit next year and Qualcomm will have a chance to undo what they did this year.
as a nexus 9 owner, you aren't missing shit with 64 bit and google treats it like absolute garbage

Wouldn't count on google taking advantage of it this year or next

this_guy

How would you know? T-mobile has expanded a ton compared to 4-5 years ago. You just rarely hear about it. Meanwhile yeah Verizon likes to remind you of their network every minutes. Compare T-mobile from 4 years ago to now and you won't be singing the same tune.

Why are you so defensive about T-mobile?

I don't know what's more overkill, the QHD screen or 4GB RAM. Although I guess if the memory leak feature is still in Android, the 4GB will help that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Real talk, android 5.01 ruined three of the top flagships from last year on one of America's biggest carriers (at&t). The m8, s5 and note 4 were all known for delivering good to great battery life, and Google basically took that away. I'm just blown away that this could happen.

Real talk, android 5.01 ruined three of the top flagships from last year on one of America's biggest carriers (at&t). The m8, s5 and note 4 were all known for delivering good to great battery life, and Google basically took that away. I'm just blown away that this could happen.

Its funny how many people in this forum have downright argued with me when I've mentioned 5.0 being shit. Its the WORST peforming release google has made. Battery life and performance are terrible.

jey_16

Banned
Just got my s6, this thing is slick. Touchwiz is still a bit ugly but apart from that, great ao far.

Why cant google produce hardware like this running stock android?

LG can keep it. I'm drooling over the thought of a moto x with Samsung's new CPU, that big battery, 4 GB Ram and a 1080p screen. Now that would be an awesome phone.

Speaking of Moto... Here come the 5.1's
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05...-x-in-the-u-s/
that's what dreams are made of

just wanna say that L didn't ruin the battery life on my Sprint Note 4. it's actually slightly better.

the return of GOATorola?
let us hope

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
just wanna say that L didn't ruin the battery life on my Sprint Note 4. it's actually slightly better.

Is it 5.01? Do you use any battery app or root or anything? What does your battery usage screen look like? No android os and android system at or near the top?

I'm at my wits end here. I went through the hassle of a reset, which is a huge pain in the ass, and nothing changed. I'm about to throw in the towel here, and I don't feel like flashing Roms or anything, I don't have time for that.

RuGalz

Google play service and whatever apps you have on the device is what's ruining battery life. As long as you have random stuff waking the phone up periodically all at different time to ping for location or to update the battery life will be shit. My N5 actually lasts longer on CM-L vs CM-kitkat.

NotBacon

How did you find out it's the code that Google wrote that is causing the reported issues?

Pretty happy to see my Moto X is finally getting 5.1 after several months of waiting. I guess I can't really be mad at Motorola since it is more of Google's fault for the mess that Android 5.0 ended up being.

It sure took them awhile to release it, but I'd like to think they still beat a lot of other last year or older devices.

Motorola had 2 things to correct this year. If those specs are accurate then it looks like they took care of battery. Who says they didn't make the camera better too hmmmmmmmmm.

but yeah "pure garbage" is probably a bit much. It will be average at worst me thinks, pretty good at best.

this_guy

How's the camera on the Droid Turbo? Isn't the Nexus 6 camera decent? If so then there's hope that Motorola isn't totally incompetent when it comes to cameras

Motorola had 2 things to correct this year. If those specs are accurate then it looks like they took care of battery. Who says they didn't make the camera better too hmmmmmmmmm.

but yeah "pure garbage" is probably a bit much. It will be average at worst me thinks, pretty good at best.

The difference is they've made good batteries in the past. They've never made a good camera.

Jzero

The Nexus 6 is pretty good for a smartphone camera (I mostly use it at concerts). If I want better photos I just use my DSLR.

Wow there really is a community thread for everything.

Ran into a problem and wondering if I could get some advice. I downloaded Android Studio today but, I for the life of me can't get the emulator to work. I have hardware visualization enabled in the BIOS, I downloaded the Intel Haxm package, and I installed it but whenever I try to use the emulator I keep getting the message that it's not installed. Any help would be appreciated.

Hasney

Is it 5.01? Do you use any battery app or root or anything? What does your battery usage screen look like? No android os and android system at or near the top?

I'm at my wits end here. I went through the hassle of a reset, which is a huge pain in the ass, and nothing changed. I'm about to throw in the towel here, and I don't feel like flashing Roms or anything, I don't have time for that.

The only other thing I've read recently is exchange services destroying the battery, either through Outlook or to email client. It just keeps the phone awake if you use that.

Other than that, people on XDA generally seem happy with Note 4 on Lollipop.

terrier

The only other thing I've read recently is exchange services destroying the battery, either through Outlook or to email client. It just keeps the phone awake if you use that.

Other than that, people on XDA generally seem happy with Note 4 on Lollipop.

now that you mention exchange, i thought gmail had added exchange support, at least i could add my corporate exchange account on my nexus5 and worked really well. But i can't on my note 4 (using gmail, i have to use stock email app)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Everything in this thread is either 'pure garbage' or 'Jesus tier'

now that you mention exchange, i thought gmail had added exchange support, at least i could add my corporate exchange account on my nexus5 and worked really well. But i can't on my note 4 (using gmail, i have to use stock email app)

Use nine for exchange mail

Drifters

I'd say nexus 6 is a good camera isn't it?

Only if you're NotBacon.

Also... Hype for a a new Nexus phone? Please; If there's anything we've learned it is that the Nexus owner club isn't all that special anymore... just look at the N9 owners:

That aside, what do we know so far about 2015;

- The M9 is a piece of shit
- Samsung is Samsung
- Apple is Apple
- Xaomi is the Chinese equiv of Alienware
- The Nexus line is a complete joke
- Google has a platform that it is showing they're not sure what to do with.

Back half of 2015:
- Google I/O shows "neat and interesting" integrations with Google services that unless you've living under a rock, harrisonfordwhogivesashit.gif
- More "God Tier" phones are listed and spec'ed that fall into the "so what?" category.
- The G4 launches and suddenly, mobile cameras "matter".
- Android 6.0 is announced.

Seriously, I look at those runs downs and I think to myself "Fuck... I'm buying a new Windows Phone running Windows 10 the first chance I get" because like most people on this board:
- Fuck Apple
- Fuck Google and their shitty updates / partnerships with vendors
- Cameras "matter".
- I want something that integrates with how I work, not get in the way of how I work.

Am I insane for thinking that Microsoft has the best strategy to actually take market share with WP10? Jesus... Android is a mess and so is Apple.... Not even ChromeOS can save Google at this point.

Hasney

Only if you're NotBacon.

Also... Hype for a a new Nexus phone? Please; If there's anything we've learned it is that the Nexus owner club isn't all that special anymore... just look at the N9 owners:

Right, but the last Nexus actual phone was pretty fantastic but too big for some, so even if people just had that phone in a package that suits them, that would be worth of hype. Now they just hopefully wait for the 820 or somehow get Samsung to make it.

I just hope we get a new 6" Nexus in a couple of years. That would be glorious.

Drifters

Right, but the last Nexus actual phone was pretty fantastic but too big for some, so even if people just had that phone in a package that suits them, that would be worth of hype. Now they just hopefully wait for the 820 or somehow get Samsung to make it.

I just hope we get a new 6" Nexus in a couple of years. That would be glorious.

It's funny, it seems like everyone gets an insta-boner when talking about the Nexus 5 and the rumors of an "upgraded" model has people on red-alert. That said, phone size (to me anyways) is irrelevant at this point, for the masses, they want something that:
- Has good screen
- Good battery life
- Good selection of apps
- Looks sexy
- Oh yeah and can make phone calls.

That said, the spec wars remind me of the Intel vs. AMD days of which exactly what value add are we getting out of the Qualcomm chips? Overheating? Speed? Visuals? I would say most agree that wireless charging, Miracasting, HDMI output, .11ac wireless and memory are high on their priority listing so that we nerds can replace our PC's with a smartphone. I don't get why manufactures are resisting this while trading specs for functionality.

XBP

Finally got lollipop on my motog 2nd gen (5.0.2). So far seems extremely good. Fixed quite a few problems I had before (at least so far).

Hasney

We got quite a lot out of qualcomm, their custom cores are much better than the ARM reference in terms of efficency along with the built in radios helping a lot, quick charge tech and generally making the top chips have all the latest start dads so I know that I've got the very latest Bluetooth and WiFi technologies in my phone. The 820 is going through a die shrink and going back to custom cores, so we should get the greatness back.

Not sure about any touch screen device replacing my computer though. I barely use my tablet when the laptop is in reach because that's the best tool for most jobs.

Saiyan-Rox

According to the changelog for 5.0.2 on the N9 Google may have needed to update the N9 to handle bigger OTA updates. Even if this is true and 5.0.2 is needed to go to 5.1 now it shows Google are still trying to figure out this tablet.

I love the Nexus line and while Google did fix the N6 (sort of) they kind lost their footing with them this time.

Top Bottom