• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Drifters

We got quite a lot out of qualcomm, their custom cores are much better than the ARM reference in terms of efficency along with the built in radios helping a lot, quick charge tech and generally making the top chips have all the latest start dads so I know that I've got the very latest Bluetooth and WiFi technologies in my phone. The 820 is going through a die shrink and going back to custom cores, so we should get the greatness back.

Not sure about any touch screen device replacing my computer though. I barely use my tablet when the laptop is in reach because that's the best tool for most jobs.

Watch this and basically don't tell me you wouldn't use something like this if you could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oi1B9fjVs4

Hasney

Watch this and basically don't tell me you wouldn't use something like this if you could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oi1B9fjVs4

I've seen it and I don't think it offers much unless they can get Excel performance to match the 8GB and i5's we've had to be upgraded to at work. It'd be cool for getting media on a big screen quickly, but I can already do that with miracast/Chromecast.

Maybe I'm just sceptical after we trialled some Surfaces and without app support, it's going to crash and burn. If they can ever do all that with a decently powerful x64 CPU and a ton of RAM while somehow maintaining battery life in regular phone mode, I'll be interested. Should really look into the regular Windows 10 on a phone though, I really don't like the Windows Phone 8 I have as a backup.

Saiyan-Rox

Noticing now when using the web browser on my N9 that when I switch tabs they're automatically reloading the page but not refreshing....grrrr

Groof

Doesn't on my N6. I can go back and forward between tabs without it reloading the page by itself but the N9 is doing it even when I use another tab.
If you mean just going back and forth between tabs then yeah I see your frustration.

Jigolo

Wow there really is a community thread for everything.

Ran into a problem and wondering if I could get some advice. I downloaded Android Studio today but, I for the life of me can't get the emulator to work. I have hardware visualization enabled in the BIOS, I downloaded the Intel Haxm package, and I installed it but whenever I try to use the emulator I keep getting the message that it's not installed. Any help would be appreciated.
Wrong thread mate

This thread is about bitching about anything involving android/google and telling each other how much every new flagship phone sucks.

Drifters

I've seen it and I don't think it offers much unless they can get Excel performance to match the 8GB and i5's we've had to be upgraded to at work. It'd be cool for getting media on a big screen quickly, but I can already do that with miracast/Chromecast.

Maybe I'm just sceptical after we trialled some Surfaces and without app support, it's going to crash and burn. If they can ever do all that with a decently powerful x64 CPU and a ton of RAM while somehow maintaining battery life in regular phone mode, I'll be interested. Should really look into the regular Windows 10 on a phone though, I really don't like the Windows Phone 8 I have as a backup.

Well, considering I have looked into the kickstarter for this little guy:
http://www.andromiumos.com/
there is value add to be had. Ironically, it's not Google leading the charge on this.

As to your point on apps; Android apps running on Windows 10 (any platform) is basically the killer app that Windows needs on the mobile front. That combined with "Continuum" basically is (what I believe) to be the death knell to Android tablets. All of the sudden, these Windows tablets running W10 and new phones running WP10 will have access to a host of apps in the Android ecosystem. Now sure, no "official" Google supported apps (per se) but you get the idea. Also, we don't know how fluid it will be but I am (again) shocked I am beginning to really appreciate MS's strategy for a comprehensive platform.

Mindwipe

As to your point on apps; Android apps running on Windows 10 (any platform) is basically the killer app that Windows needs on the mobile front. That combined with "Continuum" basically is (what I believe) to be the death knell to Android tablets. All of the sudden, these Windows tablets running W10 and new phones running WP10 will have access to a host of apps in the Android ecosystem. Now sure, no "official" Google supported apps (per se) but you get the idea. Also, we don't know how fluid it will be but I am (again) shocked I am beginning to really appreciate MS's strategy for a comprehensive platform.

Lol, no.

I predict less than a hundred Android apps will be ported over using the kit (and it won't be the hundred people want). It does nothing to change the fact people don't support Windows because the additional support costs don't justify the audience. The framework will add significant overhead, and won't support any security modelling, and still requires dev work.

It will change really very little.

this_guy

Well, considering I have looked into the kickstarter for this little guy:
http://www.andromiumos.com/
there is value add to be had. Ironically, it's not Google leading the charge on this.

Blackberry has Android apps too.
I actually like Windows phone and owned a Nokia 920, HTC 8x, and Nokia 925 at one point

Drifters

Lol, no.

I predict less than a hundred Android apps will be ported over using the kit (and it won't be the hundred people want). It does nothing to change the fact people don't support Windows because the additional support costs don't justify the audience. The framework will add significant overhead, and won't support any security modelling, and still requires dev work.

It will change really very little.
I think you're confusing this with Blackberry... Microsoft is serious about this shit.

Blackberry has Android apps too.
I actually like Windows phone and owned a Nokia 920, HTC 8x, and Nokia 925 at one point
Yup.

Chrome always does this though

and people keep shitting on iphone for lack of ram causing browser refreshes lol

Also the moto line is the new nexus line if you want updates. Still hoping oneplus2 and nexus 2015 hit it out of the park, would love to have a tough decision between 3 phones.

So has it been posted that qualcomm seems to have fixed the 810 possibly?:

Being referred to as the Snapdragon 810 v2.1, the chip scores an impressive 63,424 points in the AnTuTu benchmark, which is well above what the SD810-powered HTC One M9 and LG G Flex 2 achieved. It is also in the 60,000+ points ballpark of Samsung's Exynos 7420 SoC powering the GS6 & GS6 edge. The revised Snapdragon 810's result is impressive, considering it has to power a Quad-HD resolution smartphone. It scored higher than the One M9 and G Flex 2, despite their 1080p screens and the lesser pixel pushing involved. The performance increase is most likely attributed to better clock speed and thermal management - the chipset doesn't throttle so aggressively and gets to show more of its full potential.

Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun claims the company sent 20 of its research and development engineers to Qualcomm's HQ, with employees on both sides spending "a lot of energy" to improve the Snapdragon 810.
Xiaomi to the rescue. Pics of good thermals and whatnot inside.

lol I just hope it means they are spreading the love and the new 810 isn't just for the xiaomi phone but it looks promising. Too bad they missed the boat on some flagships and possibly more since some might be too far into their processes to go back and add it.

Drifters

lol I just hope it means they are spreading the love and the new 810 isn't just for the xiaomi phone but it looks promising. Too bad they missed the boat on some flagships and possibly more since some might be too far into their processes to go back and add it.

Well unless HTC becomes the new Sony and release the M10 later this year....

Hasney

I can't see why it wouldn't be just their phone as long as the 820 is on schedule for the end of the year. I'd assume most of the flagships for the year are already pretty much locked down.

In before someone disagrees because they bought a verizon droid.

raining_david_tennant.gif

It's been a long, hard road for us, okay? We were lied to.

Best Buy has the LG G2 on Sprint and Verizon for $150 new, no contract. Now I know old phone is old, but my wife has been rocking a Galaxy S3 for almost 3 years now and we can't go the subsidized contract phone route cause she is on a grandfathered unlimited data plan (and blows through probably 7-10GB a month).

Should I bite on the G2 for her? Or maybe wait for some of the 2014 models (M8, Moto X, G3) to drop down $<300?

I'm not sure how well the G2 has aged with updates and such, so any experience is helpful.

Best Buy has the LG G2 on Sprint and Verizon for $150 new, no contract. Now I know old phone is old, but my wife has been rocking a Galaxy S3 for almost 3 years now and we can't go the subsidized contract phone route cause she is on a grandfathered unlimited data plan (and blows through probably 7-10GB a month).

Should I bite on the G2 for her? Or maybe wait for some of the 2014 models (M8, Moto X, G3) to drop down $<300?

I'm not sure how well the G2 has aged with updates and such, so any experience is helpful.

I had a g2, it was great at first but aged like milk. I'd stay away if I were you. Last year's phones should drop soon and you'll be able to get a moto x 2014 at a decent price. Heck, with how things are going, this year's moto g might beat put the G2

Hasney

I feel like this is the most context appropriate title. I find it funny that while MS has Cortana, and Apple has Siri... what the hell is Google Now? A him? A Her? An it?

A digital thing that doesn't need to be gendered. I never referred to Siri as anything more than 'it', especially as it's different gender voices in different regions.

Drifters

A digital thing that doesn't need to be gendered. I never referred to Siri as anything more than 'it', especially as it's different gender voices in different regions.
But I guess that's my point; If Cortana is Cortana, and Siri is... an Apple Hipster... then if Google Now were a girl... who would it be?

this_guy

You just missed the Moto X being $350 yesterday.

Don't get her a G2, that's such a marginal upgrade.

The G2 is a huge upgrade. Hardware wise, it's better than the Moto X 2014 (battery and camera are superior). I went from LG G2 -> LG G3 -> Moto X so I have experience with both.

Hasney

But I guess that's my point; If Cortana is Cortana, and Siri is... an Apple Hipster... then if Google Now were a girl... who would it be?

I don't know. If my smart watch compels me to start talking to my phone, I'll let you know. I think the commercials pin her as a sensible adult woman, at least here in the UK.

You just missed the Moto X being $350 yesterday.

Don't get her a G2, that's such a marginal upgrade.

I thought about that actually but of the 2014 phones, I've felt the Moto X got a bad rap. The tepid battery life is a bit concerning for her normal uses. I actually have a Droid Turbo ( the slow to update Moto X step-brother) and love it, but its behemoth battery definitely helps that impression.

She is pretty resistant about spending excessive $ on a new phone, but I honestly want to upgrade her cause her S3 is barely chugging. Ideally I think she'd like the Note line of phones, but even the Verizon Note 3 has barely nudged down in price for a new phone. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for refurbished, or wait to bite on a 2014 model.

Saiyan-Rox

I don't know. If my smart watch compels me to start talking to my phone, I'll let you know. I think the commercials pin her as a sensible adult woman, at least here in the UK.

Think the voice still needs a little work though. In places it still sounds a bit to roboty.

Google now has come along well over the years though

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The G2 is a huge upgrade. Hardware wise, it's better than the Moto X 2014 (battery and camera are superior). I went from LG G2 -> LG G3 -> Moto X so I have experience with both.

Don't forget the G2 is 32 gigs stock and theat $350 Moto X was only 16 gigs. That's another reason to add for the G2.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I thought about that actually but of the 2014 phones, I've felt the Moto X got a bad rap. The tepid battery life is a bit concerning for her normal uses. I actually have a Droid Turbo ( the slow to update Moto X step-brother) and love it, but its behemoth battery definitely helps that impression.

She is pretty resistant about spending excessive $ on a new phone, but I honestly want to upgrade her cause her S3 is barely chugging. Ideally I think she'd like the Note line of phones, but even the Verizon Note 3 has barely nudged down in price for a new phone. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for refurbished, or wait to bite on a 2014 model.

G2 is a great phone for that price, and shits all over the GS3 she has.

Don't listen to the other posters who are fucking clueless.

Don't forget the G2 is 32 gigs stock and theat $350 Moto X was only 16 gigs. That's another reason to add for the G2.

The $350 moto x deal from yesterday was 32 gigs, but I've never used a moto X, so I can only talk about my g2 experience where I've had both heat up so badly they burned the display.

Maybe it was a Verizon exclusive issue, but they were pains in my ass. Either way for the low price the G2 is pretty much the best phone you can get.

For that price the G2 is a better deal and you are right on about the hardware though isnt the G2 CPU a slight downgrade?
What isn't being said is the software. The G2 may be stuck on 5.0 forever while the Moto X will be receiving 5.1 any day now which is a huge performance improvement.

Hasney

How much is the Z3 Compact over there? Price has been dropping like a stone over here and it sounds like battery would be the main concern, which will beast mode through it.

Was going ot laugh off the G2 as a battery lasting machine due to the G3/4, but I looked it up first. How the fuck are LG downgrading their battery life? Unreal.

Top Bottom