• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

adg1034

Okay, people.

Any reason why I shouldn't grab a ~$400 Z3 Compact? Because I'm dangerously close to pulling the trigger.

(I'm currently using a stopgap Nexus 4 on T-Mobile after switching from a Verizon Moto X 2013. So an almost exact sidegrade in terms of screen size/resolution.)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
They aren't.

What's wrong with the Nexus 6? I don't see a single reason to get the iPhone 6+ over the Nexus 6.
Encryption. Or is the performance hit FUD?

Plus, based on a few camera and battery comparisons I came across, the Note 4 came on top. But I'm sure you have a differing opinion.

Okay, people.

Any reason why I shouldn't grab a ~$400 Z3 Compact? Because I'm dangerously close to pulling the trigger.

(I'm currently using a stopgap Nexus 4 on T-Mobile after switching from a Verizon Moto X 2013. So an almost exact sidegrade in terms of screen size/resolution.)
Men I woulksnt spend $400 bucks on a phone when new flagships are imminent. But it's a good phone.

NotBacon

Encryption. Or is the performance hit FUD?

Plus, based on a few camera and battery comparisons I came across, the Note 4 came on top. But I'm sure you have a differing opinion.

Negligible performance hit. It's there obviously, but whether you can tell the difference is another matter.
I've seen numerous people forget to decrypt again after doing some ROM flashing and say they don't notice a difference.

Battery is fine. Great for me, but I usually have great reception too. Throw in turbo and Qi charging and I can easily recommend it to anyone.
Camera is the only real annoyance. It takes the best pictures on a phone I've ever seen (I've never used a Nokia lol), but as soon as something starts moving fast or you try to take a video, you'll notice the focus speed is sub par.

NotBacon

Not a single one huh. Got those hooks in you hard.

Nope.

Ok fine:
+ camera focus algorithm (there's your one)
- camera pictures
- bezel town
- price
- iOS lockdown
- iOS bugs (inb4 lollipop bugs (that don't exist on N6))
- iOS design
- iOS

Oh and the hooks hurt.
Help

Got my Nexus 6! I've completed my Android trifecta! (Tab S 10.5 which was gifted to me by my lovely wife, Moto 360 and now the N6.) Loving it.

1n7W8HJ.jpg

Got everything set up the way I want it.

RedFyn

Got my Nexus 6! I've completed my Android trifecta! (Tab S 10.5 which was gifted to me by my lovely wife, Moto 360 and now the N6.) Loving it.

Got everything set up the way I want it.
And after you posted this you realized there are things on your screen that don't belong, cleaned it up and are so overcome with satisfaction you forgot to post a ss. Right?

Nope.

Ok fine:
+ camera focus algorithm (there's your one)
- camera pictures
- bezel town
- price
- iOS lockdown
- iOS bugs (inb4 lollipop bugs (that don't exist on N6))
- iOS design
- iOS

Oh and the hooks hurt.
Help

Low light photos are much better on the i6 and i6+.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It is harder to take pictures with my N6 than it was with my N5. Doesn't focus as quickly or as well.

NotBacon

Nope. Equal. Plenty of side-by-side comparisons to confirm this.

It is harder to take pictures with my N6 than it was with my N5. Doesn't focus as quickly or as well.

Yeah I pointed out the focus issue. It shouldn't be hard to take normal pictures though. I've never had a problem with HDR+.

The only time I notice it is when taking video. Refocuses like crazy.

NotBacon

Please give me links to these comparisons. I am considering the nexus 6 for my madre and the last side by side I saw said otherwise.

There were plenty in the last thread, /r/android, /r/nexus6, Google+, etc. showcasing low light abilities

And I'm sure you could find some if you Google around, but I'm too lazy to go hunting around for you

terrier

maybe that is true, the thing is that phonearena n6 vi6+ blind photo comparison gave the edge to nexus6 camera.
So then we could say daylight photos are much better on n6 so that would be a wash.

Note 4 owner here, i also do not find anything that would be make choose i6+ over my note4 or a nexus 6 besides os preference

kharma45

maybe that is true, the thing is that phonearena n6 vi6+ blind photo comparison gave the edge to nexus6 camera.
So then we could say daylight photos are much better on n6 so that would be a wash.

Note 4 owner here, i also do not find anything that would be make choose i6+ over my note4 or a nexus 6 besides os preference

Phone Arena are shite. Take their 'tests' with the same pinch of salt you'd give The Verge on their iOS articles.

There were plenty in the last thread, /r/android, /r/nexus6, Google+, etc. showcasing low light abilities

And I'm sure you could find some if you Google around, but I'm too lazy to go hunting around for you

Ah yes all places I'd trust for wholly unbiased comparisons.

Jacir

Hello.

What's up with my gen1 moto g not updating to lollipop? Its on 4.4.4 I believe. I have clicked on system update for more than a month now. I want to upgrade L.

Am I alone in having memory leaks with this phone? Will L solve this?

terrier

Phone Arena are shite. Take their 'tests' with the same pinch of salt you'd give The Verge on their iOS articles.

Ah yes all places I'd trust for wholly unbiased comparisons.

Maybe they are, but hard to trust anyone these days.Almost everyone is biased one way or another. However, If that was a true blind test and people that did the poll didn't know if the pictures they chose were from iphone or n6 the results would tell something that would contradict what many claim (that iphone camera superiority)

But anyway, even if iphone had a better camera than n6/note4 or other flasghips, i doubt it would be miles better, but just slightly better here or there or overall. So hardly a huge differential factor.

Jacir

Yes I did that. Should I uninstall then install again? Most of my data is podcasts and couple of other stuff. It wouldn't be a pain if it messed around with my data.

thenexus6

If my Nexus 5 keeps powering off I might opt to buy a Moto G to serve me.

The fact you only get something stupid like 3.9GB available to you if you buy the 8GB model is nuts to me.

I am a little confused about the models, does a model with 4G and micro SD slot exist?

Symphonia

Banned
Nope, it says my software is up to date. What now? Is there a way to do it manually? Is this on Motorola's side?
Might be on your carriers end. Lollipop is out for Motorola G, but it could be held back on your handset depending on who your carrier is.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If you don't own a good podcast app now is the time. Doggcatcher is free on the Amazon App Store as part of their newest free bundle of apps.

Elchele

Jacir

So it seems my concern was right near the release date motorola is saying from the way things are going. My expectation is that all moto Gs will be updated within the next 7 days.

If you don't own a good podcast app now is the time. Doggcatcher is free on the Amazon App Store as part of their newest free bundle of apps.

I use doubletwist for both my podcasts and media. I think its good IMO.

I woudldnt be surprised if it sucks at any complex indoor lighting situations during the day or night as well but there are no tests of that.

Not everyone takes most of their photos outside in perfect daylight. Inside a dark bar or family photos in the living room with sunlight beaming in are very common.

mturco

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8933/snapdragon-810-performance-preview

In light of everything, it seems that Snapdragon 810 was not as the rumors claimed. In my experience, I didn’t notice any of the development devices getting hotter than what I’d come to expect from a modern SoC. In most cases, it appears that CPU performance is about what I’d expect from a cluster of four Cortex A57s at 2 GHz, although there are a few anomalous results that could be a concern. If anything, it’s clear to me that CPU isn’t really an area of weakness on the Snapdragon 810, especially with all of the work that Qualcomm has done for an energy aware scheduler to maximize the performance and efficiency of their big.LITTLE implementation.

While my time with the Snapdragon 810 hasn’t revealed any significant issues, the real concern here seems to be more along the lines of the GPU performance. While ALU performance and compute performance in general are significantly improved with the Adreno 430, the performance uplift doesn’t really seem to be as large as one might hope. Although Qualcomm is trying to sell the idea of a 4K tablet with the Snapdragon 810, it feels as if it’s too early to try and drive such high resolutions if the GPU can’t handle it.

Wreav

Banned
It's almost as if those dev devices might be clocked down to prevent overheating or something!

Either way, doesn't sound all that great.

Hasney

It's almost as if those dev devices might be clocked down to prevent overheating or something!

Either way, doesn't sound all that great.

It isn't that. When it comes to shader performance, it's working as advertised and showing gains. Physics performance, it shits the bed. It's very odd and hopefully a driver issue.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The HTC Sense weather widget is a battery guzzler when you set it to update every hour, yesterday my phone dropped 10% every hour thanks to the widget.

Husker86

The HTC Sense weather widget is a battery guzzler when you set it to update every hour, yesterday my phone dropped 10% every hour thanks to the widget.

That seems strange since, theoretically, that means connecting to data every hour to grab a couple kilobytes of data.

Top Bottom