• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

NotBacon

So what phones offer a vanilla Lollipop OS? I'm really quite sick of TouchWiz, to be honest, and the thought of a phone running Lollipop with no bloatware is too tempting. I just don't know what phones offer this. I assume the N6 does?

Nexus 6, Moto X, Nexus 5 (getting quite long in the tooth).

Nexus 6 is the complete package and one of the best phones out right now, but you'll have to consider the size. To me it felt big for a day, now it feels normal and anything smaller feels archaic.

I think this year I am going to try leaving the Nexus family for a generation. I want some solid, premium feeling hardware and battery optimizations. I won't be surprised if I come crawling back, but you never know until you try!

hqdefault.jpg

Wreav

Banned
He asked for stock lollipop - since it's not on lollipop it's not stock lollipop.

Stop being purposefully obtuse. The Moto phones (Turbo included) offer stock lollipop. Not all carrier variants have been updated. This is not hard to understand.

this_guy

Stop being purposefully obtuse. The Moto phones (Turbo included) offer stock lollipop. Not all carrier variants have been updated. This is not hard to understand.

Right - but I was originally correct when I said not ALL Motos. You clarified with a condition (when it updates). Let it go, admit you're wrong, and move on. Right now, not ALL motos offer stock lollipop.

Not all carrier variants have been updated. This is not hard to understand.

Not all carrier variants = not all Motos. Deal with it. You keep quoting me because you feel you have to be right.

Symphonia

Banned
Yeah, anything Nexus and that's pretty much it. Everyone else has varying amounts of changes.
Nexus 6, Moto X, Nexus 5 (getting quite long in the tooth).

Nexus 6 is the complete package and one of the best phones out right now, but you'll have to consider the size. To me it felt big for a day, now it feels normal and anything smaller feels archaic.
I don't mind getting the N6 if it is vanilla Lollipop. I had the N5 with vanilla KitKat (my first Android phone) and I then upgraded to the S5. Which, ironically, feels like a downgrade. Should I sell my S5 and get the N6?

I don't mind getting the N6 if it is vanilla Lollipop. I had the N5 with vanilla KitKat (my first Android phone) and I then upgraded to the S5. Which, ironically, feels like a downgrade. Should I sell my S5 and get the N6?
I would hope the Nexus 6 have Vanilla lollipop since it's a Google phone :p. If you can handle the size, I don't see why not. Unless you like the fingerprint scanner.

Wreav

Banned
Right - but I was originally correct when I said not ALL Motos. You clarified with a condition (when it updates). Let it go, admit you're wrong, and move on. Right now, not ALL motos offer stock lollipop.

Not all carrier variants = not all Motos. Deal with it. You keep quoting me because you feel you have to be right.

You got some of that KitKat butthurt going on. Don't worry, you'll get it eventually.

this_guy

You got some of that KitKat butthurt going on. Don't worry, you'll get it eventually.

You seem distraught. First you called me obtuse and now calling me butt hurt. All because you were wrong on the internet. I'm simply pointing this out to you.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've never used any of Sammy's phones before. What's the quickest way to migrate from a Nexus (4) to a Note (4). I accidentally google.

Cheebo

Banned
Plug your N4 into iTunes and...no...wait...

Sign into Google. That's about it.

? It's been years since you had to use iTunes on iOS to transfer over. Now all you do is sign into your Apple/iCloud ID and the entire backup can be restored. Been that way since about 2012 I believe? iOS and Android are pretty much on the same page in this regard.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Go for it.

AP reviewed the Blue Studio Energy and got a 2.3 day battery life with 6 hours of SoT with that 5000mah battery. All for $150 bucks! Insane.

Can't wait till these guys really get some momentum, their concepts are fantastic.
5000 mah battery with 6 SoT is weak.

Symphonia

Banned
I would hope the Nexus 6 have Vanilla lollipop since it's a Google phone :p. If you can handle the size, I don't see why not. Unless you like the fingerprint scanner.
I do use the fingerprint ID on my S5 as opposed to regular PIN ID, but I don't mind losing that. How much bigger than the S5 is the N6?

Go for it.
Googling best offers now. How much would I get, realistically, for my S5? It's just over 2 months old, in perfect condition. Could I get enough for it to cover the cost of an N6 handset?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
6 Hours SoT in a span of 2 days plus is weak? What are you smoking and where can I get some of it?
3000 mah phones do nearly that right now.

Googling best offers now. How much would I get, realistically, for my S5? It's just over 2 months old, in perfect condition. Could I get enough for it to cover the cost of an N6 handset?
No one wants that POS.

Wreav

Banned
? It's been years since you had to use iTunes on iOS to transfer over. Now all you do is sign into your Apple/iCloud ID and the entire backup can be restored. Been that way since about 2012 I believe? iOS and Android are pretty much on the same page in this regard.

Unless you're like me and you've run out of room on your iCloud to backup without paying.

Also, Google sync doesn't backup/restore SMS/app data.

3000 mah phones do nearly that right now.
AJ gonna AJ

HTC's wearable isn't running Wear.

Gross.

None of the manufacturers are betting on Android Wear. LG and Samsung have their own OS for their next watches (one could argue that Samsung was never really in) and Asus' next watch is supposed to run Microsoft Health. These devices are pretty much prototypes at this point, regardless of the OS. None of them do anything really well and there doesn't seem to be a good reason to have one either. For me, I could only think of using it for music player controls and not having to take out my phone to check my steps in Google Fit. I hope Google can surprise us at this year' I/O with a more compelling platform.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Sooooo unless I'm missing something, I have to manually redownload apps? I was hoping it would be like iPhone's backups where the new phone picks up where the old phone left off, right down to all the small details.

I hope I didn't miss something since the T-mobile rep turned it on and had to skip a step or two because I have the "Two-Step Google Verification" thing turned on and had to access my texts.

I've never used any of Sammy's phones before. What's the quickest way to migrate from a Nexus (4) to a Note (4). I accidentally google.

Plug your N4 into iTunes and...no...wait...

Sign into Google. That's about it.

That's what I thought. I was only unsure if Sammy had their own backup service that didn't accept Googles.

NotBacon

Sooooo unless I'm missing something, I have to manually redownload apps? I was hoping it would be like iPhone's backups where the new phone picks up where the old phone left off, right down to all the small details.

I hope I didn't miss something since the T-mobile rep turned it on and had to skip a step or two because I have the "Two-Step Google Verification" thing turned on and had to access my texts.

Nope. Once you sign into your Google account on your new phone all of your apps will begin to download within a few minutes. On a Lollipop device you can even be specific as to what you want to re-download. System and app settings won't be saved though.

Literally just: make sure your photos are backed up with the Google Photos app, and everything is synced (that you want synced) in Settings>Accounts>Google, and you're good to go.

Unless you want texts backed up. Then you'll need something like SMS Backup. Personally I don't, all my texts are just "coming home", "what's for dinner", "where are you?"...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
How long does it usually take for the apps to start downloading?

To reiterate I'm moving from Nexus 4 to Note 4. I disabled the two step notification temporarily so that it doesn't screw up the initial setup, I reset my Note 4 to restart the process, I made sure my Nexus 4 is synced up, then finally completed the startup.

I'm still waiting for the Note 4 to take notice and download my app list!

On another note: what's the consensus on enabling the Google Photo's auto backup—
Yay/Nay?
Any privacy concerns I should know of?
Is everything on my drive/backup automatically downloaded to my phone, or can old photos stay in the cloud? (this is mostly me concerned about storage, still waiting for my SD card)

So many questions, so little time. Any help is appreciated guys. Android #1.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Final question: This is the first time I use a non-Nexus Android phone. I'm looking for a trusted list/guide of what preinstalled apps/bloatware to remove. You guys are #1.

How long does it usually take for the apps to start downloading?

To reiterate I'm moving from Nexus 4 to Note 4. I disabled the two step notification temporarily so that it doesn't screw up the initial setup, I reset my Note 4 to restart the process, I made sure my Nexus 4 is synced up, then finally completed the startup.

I'm still waiting for the Note 4 to take notice and download my app list!

On another note: what's the consensus on enabling the Google Photo's auto backup—
Yay/Nay?
Any privacy concerns I should know of?
Is everything on my drive/backup automatically downloaded to my phone, or can old photos stay in the cloud? (this is mostly me concerned about storage, still waiting for my SD card)

So many questions, so little time. Any help is appreciated guys. Android #1.
privacy concerns....android...google....lol. I wouldn't do auto back up personally.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Posts like these blow my mind. How is Motorola getting this to run well on the g but not the new x?
Having a first gen G I can't fathom how lollipop would run well on it. Hell, on KitKat my music app and Facebook messenger always crash and apps take forever to load. My nexus 7 2012 is slow as shit now with L.

Guess I'm unlucky.

Posts like these blow my mind. How is Motorola getting this to run well on the g but not the new x?
Because when it comes to anything Android-related, expect randomness and disregard consistency. Even when people have the same device.

Android™

Be Together, Not the Same
experiences

SimleuqiR

Having a first gen G I can't fathom how lollipop would run well on it. Hell, on KitKat my music app and Facebook messenger always crash and apps take forever to load. My nexus 7 2012 is slow as shit now with L.

Guess I'm unlucky.

Well on the Moto G 2014, which is second gen, it runs great.

I bought one for my mom. She talks a lot on the phone and even has whatsapp install.
She gets great standby battery life, where as my Nexus 5 eats up the battery even on days I barely lift the phone from my office desk.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Um, why is this phone more sluggish than my Nexus 4 lol? TW pls.

Unless there's something I can disable to have it run smoother, I'm giving this a day to settle. If it doesn't improve I'm taking it back and getting an iPhone 6+. Even Nova can't fully fix this— whenever I try to drag something from the drawer it turns into a choppy slideshow mess.

privacy concerns....android...google....lol. I wouldn't do auto back up personally.
By privacy I meant I don't want my photos to be accessible by the public with a single button press. The Google+ integration has always had me worried. Other than that I'm not that worried, I signed off my soul to googy a long time ago.

NotBacon

Um, why is this phone more sluggish than my Nexus 4 lol? TW pls.

Unless there's something I can disable to have it run smoother, I'm giving this a day to settle. If it doesn't improve I'm taking it back and getting an iPhone 6+. Even Nova can't fully fix this— whenever I try to drag something from the drawer it turns into a choppy slideshow mess.

By privacy I meant I don't want my photos to be accessible by the public with a single button press. The Google+ integration has always had me worried. Other than that I'm not that worried, I signed off my soul to googy a long time ago.

They aren't.

What's wrong with the Nexus 6? I don't see a single reason to get the iPhone 6+ over the Nexus 6.

Top Bottom