• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

So I used a G4 for a while today. Pretty much the whole work day. Not bad. Not bad at all. Great screen (slightly below S6 though). Battery seemed pretty good throughout the work day. I think I startead at 97% at 8:30am and by 6:00pm it was at 60% with very heavy use of things that usually eat battery for me (lots of texting, hangouts, etc..). It would not be my typical usage as a lot of people were badgering me. I'm usually less than that.

Camera is great. Size is a bit big though. Samsung has the 5.1 inch screen size pegged right for a non phablet phone but the bezels are still great on the G4. But at 5.2 it would have excelled instead of 5.5. It wasn't the leather version so no comment on that.

It was extremely snappy. No overheating throughout the day either. The 808 seems more than up to the task. Overall I'm not sure I'd get it over the S6 but the battery MIGHT convince me...but even then I don't know. S6 is slightly better in almost all ways other than that.

Good device though. No fingerprint though at that price point....cray.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There are a bunch here in Seoul. If anyone really cares, I can check it out. But really, it's not so great and you know it. LG is still riding the G2 wave. Every other release since has been rubbish. Except Nexus 5.

The G2 was definitely better. I don't know why these companies keep trying so hard to do more and more and more. They could have taken that exact phone and just iterated on the materials and specs and whatnot and we'd have one of the best devices on the market.

The G2 was definitely better. I don't know why these companies keep trying so hard to do more and more and more. They could have taken that exact phone and just iterated on the materials and specs and whatnot and we'd have one of the best devices on the market.

Isn't that what they're doing though? Is most of the hate for the G3 and 4 the piss poor battery life due to the QHD screen? I really gotta know the big difference.

Isn't that what they're doing though? Is most of the hate for the G3 and 4 the piss poor battery life due to the QHD screen? I really gotta know the big difference.
It's not really what they did.

For one the G2 was the best size to screen screen ratio on the market at the time. a 5.2 inch device with those physical dimensions was awesome. It had a 1080p display I believe with a 3000mah battery. At that screen size it really is great.

G3 had to take it a bit too far. Increasing the phone from 5.2 to 5.5 inches. Although the physical dimensions were still impressive for a phone of that size, it was a bit unnecessary. Samsung did the smart thing and let the phablet be the phablet and their normal phone be their normal phone. Not some weird inbetweener.

The bump to 5.5 also means the battery will be worse...but hey at least the battery got a little bit bigger. But no. the QHD resolution kind of throws that out of whack and makes the battery worse. Also from what I remember, some versions of the G3 came with less ram for some reason...?

So now you have a phone with very slight upgrade to specs, that's more uncomfortable to hold, that has worse battery life. IMO that is not positive iteration. Iteration is about perfecting a device. G2 had a SICK battery. Make it better. Keep the resolution at 1080p. Make better materials. Put in more RAM. Put in a better camera. Make better software. Include quick charging. Throw in a fingerprint scanner. Make the screen OLED. Sapphire glass. etc etc...If they kept iterating on the G2, the G4 would be the GOAT android phone. But the G4 is more of an iteration of the G3, G4 also is bigger and has worse battery somehow lol.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There are a bunch here in Seoul. If anyone really cares, I can check it out. But really, it's not so great and you know it. LG is still riding the G2 wave. Every other release since has been rubbish. Except Nexus 5.

Objectively the best android smartphone camera on the market is hardly coasting.

I'm surprised you even had enough battery on your N6 to make this post!

Hasney

Objectively the best android smartphone camera on the market is hardly coasting.

I'm surprised you even had enough battery on your N6 to make this post!

Well the battery on the N6 handily outlasts the G4's from the reviews currently out there, so if the N6 couldn't survive long enough to post, you wouldn't have enough life yet to use that fancy camera.

Vanillalite

Well the battery on the N6 handily outlasts the G4's from the reviews currently out there, so if the N6 couldn't survive long enough to post, you wouldn't have enough life yet to use that fancy camera.

5362129+_eb401048c9e0e32681f0125b978dc203.png

Vanillalite

Looks like Vanillaidiot (the real engineer) is pushing red again.
meter1.jpg

Sorry for speaking the truth. You are just being a douche and not contributing though.

Also FFS people doing camera comparison shots. If you don't frame your shots nearly identical it means jack shit. To bad that's 90% of the comparison shots on the net.

Just look at the two photos wreav posted, and how they are off.

Wreav

Banned
Most photography classes are clueless on this subject so no thanks. It's no wonder you are clueless though.

Take an EE course on optics.

Do you post this drivel on your blog too, or is that just reserved for GAF?

G4:
fo2Ye9J.png

S6:
HR0DvgX.png

All those colors, and you chose 100% white, LG...tsk tsk

They are close enough in composition to not matter. The G4 consistently overexposes, no matter the composition. I guess you could make a case that this is why you should use Pro mode, but ain't no one got time for that.

Vanillalite

Do you post this drivel on your blog too, or is that just reserved for GAF?

G4:
fo2Ye9J.png

S6:
HR0DvgX.png

All those colors, and chose 100% white, LG...tsk tsk

While I don't disagree the shot isn't over exposed (all the cameras do even the vaunted iPhone depending upon random light source shit) it's worthless comparing the two photos above as they aren't the same shot.

We had this exact problem that we went over when they were comparing the GS6 to the iPhone 6 to the G4, and we had that photo of the building with the tree and sun. Each comparison shot was different.

If you aren't anal about framing the shots the same you end up with different focal points, light source angles, and shit in this shots. Makes it worthless to compare. Ditto when shit is different aspect ratios as well.

And no close enough doesn't cut it for accurate comparisons.

Vanillalite

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-G4-camera-test-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S6-Apple-iPhone-6-HTC-One-M9-and-more_id68815

Case in point check out the "first" photo in this.

That's the GS6, G4, and 6+. The framing is fucking terrible. You can't even see the side walk let alone the street in the GS6 photo. The 6+ photo is two steps or turned towards the right where you can't even see the car on the left, and you see a fire hydrant not in either of the other photos. Meanwhile the G4 is turned towards the left, and you get a car in the picture.

And don't even get me fucking started on how the sun is fuck all different in each photo.

RuGalz

And no close enough doesn't cut it for accurate comparisons.

Pretty much this. A few extra pixels in the scene will throw metering off even if they are the exact same camera/phone. You really need studio shot in controlled environment to really isolate camera hardware quality vs camera software issues.

Joe

I bought a BLU phone, I actually like it a lot.

I emailed them and asked them if the phone played audio over USB and they said they have no idea and if I test it out myself then let them know the results...

I bought a BLU phone, I actually like it a lot.

I emailed them and asked them if the phone played audio over USB and they said they have no idea and if I test it out myself then let them know the results...

Not surprising since BLU doesn't make the phones themselves

Toki767

Using a Samsung phone after years of using other OEMs.

I have to say I know that most people just think Samsung copies Apple with their layout, but virtual buttons on a phone kind of suck if the phone still has a chin. At least with Samsung's phones it feels like the space under the screen is being used for more than just a logo.

The S6 is about the size of the G3 though so I still have to hand it to LG for being .4 inches bigger on the screen and still the same physical size as smaller screen phones.

Wreav

Banned
Make all the compositional arguments you like, the fact is that the average G4 picture is more overly exposed in that gallery than the S6.

S6 has its own problems like worse flaring, but exposure ain't one of them.

Toki767

AT&T's site yesterday had the G Watch for $50 so I ordered one expecting it to get cancelled but it actually shipped out today. Oh well. For $50 I suppose I can give the whole smartwatch thing a shot.

jokkir

Make all the compositional arguments you like, the fact is that the average G4 picture is more overly exposed in that gallery than the S6.

S6 has its own problems like worse flaring, but exposure ain't one of them.

Those aren't even good camera samples. The S6 and iPhone 6 are exposed properly to the sky/sun while the G4 is exposed properly to the trees and environment. Hell, you could even claim that the S6 and iPhone 6 are underexposing the image while the G4 is exposing the shot properly.

Phonearena needs to do proper testing and get a tripod with a smartphone mount and get the exposure and composition consistent with all three cameras to do a fair comparison.

Sorry for speaking the truth. You are just being a douche and not contributing though.

Also FFS people doing camera comparison shots. If you don't frame your shots nearly identical it means jack shit. To bad that's 90% of the comparison shots on the net.

I'm not trying to contribute to your photo argument. I was hinting that the hateful bashing is unnecessary when you dont agree with someone (even if they are wrong). Your ego is fucking annoying

diaspora

Most photography classes are clueless on this subject so no thanks. It's no wonder you are clueless though.

Take an EE course on optics.

What a shockingly stupid post, but if you think that EE has any value to this argument, then I shouldn't be surprised.

Incidentally, Wreav, it seems as though the G4 is exposing for shadows and midtones rather than trying to prevent blowing out the highlights. I don't think one is really objectively better than the other here, but I can understand if some prefer what appears to be the G4's more even histogram.

Wreav

Banned
Incidentally, Wreav, it seems as though the G4 is exposing for shadows and midtones rather than trying to prevent blowing out the highlights.

I totally get what they're doing, but blown highlights are one of those dead giveaways of mobile photography that's been plaguing us for too long. It's always easier to bump exposure up in the midrange than to pull back hot whites.

RuGalz

I totally get what they're doing, but blown highlights are one of those dead giveaways of mobile photography that's been plaguing us for too long. It's always easier to bump exposure up in the midrange than to pull back hot whites.

As if most of the people are going to edit their photos. It seems LG made the choice to expose to what is being focused on instead of metering the whole image. Anecdotally speaking, people prefer the person they are shooting in the cell phone pic to be properly exposed, never mind about background being overly exposed. If the problem is just software it's all fixable anyway.

diaspora

Blown highlights are a plague to digital photography in general
(I prefer digital over analogue, but that's neither here nor there)
. Though, with the G4's controls it is possible to just adjust the exposure by -1 or -2 no? I'd be interested in seeing how the S6 (stock settings) and G4 (-1 or -2 ev) shots look side by side. If their DR is the same then the pictures would be reasonably similar no?

Wreav

Banned
As if most of the people are going to edit their photos. I think LG made the choice to expose to what is being focused on. Anecdotally speaking, people prefer the person they are shooting in the cell phone pic to be properly exposed, never mind about background being overly exposed.

Most people I know don't post unedited photos, and these aren't really geeks. Either using VSCO, Snapseed, Instagram filters, whatever...it's rare to see any raw out of camera images on my feeds.

diaspora

Most will I think use default filters from Instagram, occasionally VSCO, and rarely applying actual exposure/colour/sharpness fixes through Instagram/VSCO/Lr/Snapseed. As far as the G4 and S6 are concerned at least it seems as though the default auto exposure of the G4 is a stop, maybe 2 if we're pushing it brighter than the S6. This can suck if you're not into that, but given that both phones let you change your default exposure in the camera settings (afaik), it's not really a make or break situation as far as the cameras are concerned.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Most people I know don't post unedited photos, and these aren't really geeks. Either using VSCO, Snapseed, Instagram filters, whatever...it's rare to see any raw out of camera images on my feeds.

Is an Instagram filter really editing a photo though?

Top Bottom