• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Be together, not the same.

Android-and-Devil-Android.jpg

PS: I still deep down love you all.

What new features are phone makers gonna bring in the next few years? It seems to me like most phones these days are already ultra smooth and hardly differentiate from another.
Also 1440p on a 5" screen is completely overkill don't you think?
What's gonna be the reason to upgrade going forward? Battery life?

Wreav

Banned
Holographic displays

Tactile feedback through morphable screens

Call quality that doesn't sound like a Bell Labs recording

NotBacon

What new features are phone makers gonna bring in the next few years? It seems to me like most phones these days are already ultra smooth and hardly differentiate from another.

There are huge gains in battery life happening in university labs and such right now. Hopefully those technologies will hit the market soon....

4K screens

4K screens
and smaller batteries

woooo

But yeah there's still a ways to go. Some still don't have good fingerprint sensors or any at all. Sapphire screens (apple will probably do it first). Better camera technology. Something innovative like force touch, which I'm sure they'll all copy after apple does it.

Gotta think of shit.

Eanan

and smaller batteries

woooo

But yeah there's still a ways to go. Some still don't have good fingerprint sensors or any at all. Sapphire screens (apple will probably do it first). Better camera technology. Something innovative like force touch, which I'm sure they'll all copy after apple does it.

Gotta think of shit.
Whatever happened that technology that made the keyboard popup from the screen like a physical keyboard then recess when it wasn't in use, or am I imaging that?

Advances in phones I want:

Much better battery life

Fully wireless charging (I think I read recently that they are advances in being able to charge batteries over the air ala WiFi)

Sapphire screens (but will be SUPER expensive)

Optical Zoom on phones (I can wish)

Oh, and can we get Xenon flashes back on phones please? My 2007(?) Nokia had a xenon flash. Puts LED crap to shame.

kIdMuScLe

So can anyone tell me the benefits of rooting? I just rooted my z3 (t-mobile) and I can't remember what else to do besides installing xposed framework. :-/

Eanan

So can anyone tell me the benefits of rooting? I just rooted my z3 (t-mobile) and I can't remember what else to do besides installing xposed framework. :-/

I just rooted my Z2;

Benefits (For me):

Xposed
Greenify
Ad-blocking
DPI Change
Link to SD (put all apps on SD card, not internal memory)
Boot manager
Proper Cerberus anti theft install

Toki767

The S6 fingerprint scanner is really impressive.

It's just a shame that they don't open up the APIs or anything to let developers incorporate it into their apps.

Toki767

How is CM Locker using it, then? Or Finger Security?

I meant more along individual apps implementing it. Like Facebook asking for your fingerprint in order for it to open for you.

I hear Finger Security drains battery pretty quickly so I didn't want to install it.

Joe

Is Lollipop more efficient than KitKat? My phone only has 1GB of RAM and I don't want to slow it down but the update to L is available.

If I'm after battery life (my Nexus 5 is godawful in that regard) are either of these decent deals? Motorola are doing a 2 day sale starting Monday:

Moto X 16GB £299
Nexus 6 32GB £449

If I'm after battery life (my Nexus 5 is godawful in that regard) are either of these decent deals? Motorola are doing a 2 day sale starting Monday:

Moto X 16GB £299
Nexus 6 32GB £449
uhhh if you're after battery life I don't think you should be going after the Moto X. That was the major criticism for the 2014 model.

Hasney

Moto X 16GB £299
Nexus 6 32GB £449

Neither set the world on fire in terms of battery life, but you'll feel a slight improvement in the Moto X and a huge improvement on the Nexus 6.

If you got with the N6, get it from Amazon France. £375 and will be able to pay in £'s at checkout.

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00OZ4T7HO/

EDIT: Checking out in £ and delivery knocks it up to £394. but still cheaper.

Saiyan-Rox

Looks like Google has stopped allowing you to playback videos in the background on the YouTube app. Guess you were never supposed to be able to do it with normal content and just with music but still *sigh*

Hasney

Cool, thanks for the link!

EDIT: Works out at 394.08, but still cheaper than I've seen around!

Yeah, the real exchange rate is better if you pay in Euros, but with banks using their own exchange rate too and some of them charging fees, I find Amazon to usually be more generous.

Roll on my Supercard for purchases not in £.... No extra fees and standard exchange rate as I'm pretty much just using Amazon France for everything now as they're much cheaper!

Hasney

Gonna be really hard to stop myself from getting one of these D:

If they did a Hulk Note 5 that looked like the fan renders, I'd be right behind you.

If this actually looks like the fan render, it will be the best looking phone out there anyway.

thuway

Just when battery improvements start rolling in either through OS optimizations (Lollipop 5.1) or streamlined battery tech (3000 mAh+) - there is an absolutely unnecessary tech that completely diminishes whatever gain was made.

I don't need greater than 1080p or features that wakelock the life out of my phone. Get me close to stock, don't worry about the customizations, and get me 6+ hours of SoT, OLED, and a decent camera. Note 5- hurry up and come out.

Top Bottom