• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google Plus shows 70MB of foreground data yet I've never used it. Ugh. I hope today's Play Services update fixes my wake lock issues.

SimleuqiR

Google Plus shows 70MB of foreground data yet I've never used it. Ugh. I hope today's Play Services update fixes my wake lock issues.

Not even the auto backup photos feature? Because that's intertwined with Google+. I think they will eventually break off the Photos app from Google+, but we are not there yet.

Sony Mobile to use more MediaTek smartphone solutions, say sources

Sony Mobile Communications will increase its purchases of handset solutions from MediaTek for production of entry-level and mid-range smartphones in 2015, according to sources at Taiwan's handset supply chain.

Sony Mobile is also expected to maintain cooperation with a number of Taiwan-based handset ODMs, including Foxconn/FIH Mobile, Compal Electronics and Arima Communications.

The vendor is scheduled to release its new 3G model, the Xperia E4, in mid-February, outsourced to Arima. Total orders for the Xperia E4 are expected to reach three million units, estimated the sources.

The Xperia E4 sports a MediaTek 1.3GHz quad-core MT6582 CPU, a 5-inch qHD IPS touchscreen, 5-megapixel rear-facing camera, with 1GB RAM.8GB ROM memory, running on Android 5.0 Lollipop.

In addition to Arima, Foxconn/FIH Mobile and Compal are also currently developing 4G models for Sony Mobile, and the new models will be built based mainly on MediaTek's 64-bit 8-core MT6752 processor, revealed the sources.

Gwanatu T

Having reviewed and thoroughly tested the flagship smartphone cameras, here's how it worked out:

Nexus 6 - Fantastic low light and daylight performer with regards to slow or static subjects. Probably the most balanced tonally, when using HDR+ (almost no reason to ever turn it off).

Shutter speed at its fastest, is pretty darn slow using the stock camera. Makes capturing the spontaneous moments a bit tough; I recommend using L camera or Manual camera for fast motion shots or where you expect quick bursts are needed.

Note 4 - EXCELLENT shadow contrast and incredible fine detail resolution and decent shutter speed. Only negatives are the tendancy to blow highlights a little unless manually adjusted, and low light noise reduction being far too aggressive (resulting in less fine detail even compared to lower MP shooters). This is common with Samsung phones in general however. The stock app sports a wealth of options if you like tinkering with real time effects and post processing.

iPhone 6+ - OIS makes a drastic difference between this model and the smaller brother. Can't be stated enough, but that allows the former to pull off some gorgeous night shots even with the lower resolution sensor. Actually, of three best (and these ARE the three best of the relavant mobile OS's) the iPhone 6+ takes the cake for low light performance (big sensor) with the nexus 6 and note 4 mostly tied. Daylight performance is nothing to sneeze at either; usually offering something close to the nexus 6 in tone but at lightning fast shutter speeds....even with HDR on! It's the best results for the hassle easily of the three; just overall, gets more right with little compromise (fine detail distance resolution being its only notable flaw - and its not nearly as bad as it SHOULD be given the MP disparity).

So, that's my two cents.

I own a One plus One for what it's worth.

Yesterday I had to uninstall Facebook Messenger, because it drained 13% of my battery in 30 minutes.

I don't even use Facebook Messenger.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's almost as if those dev devices might be clocked down to prevent overheating or something!

Either way, doesn't sound all that great.

It's more that we've passed the early "easy" stages in terms of GPU performance. Now we are at the point where legit work has to be put in to create a great mobile GPU.

It's not surprising the two best GPUs in the business come from Imagine and Nvidia aka two companies who have been creating GPUs as their core business for decades. Shit is COMPLICATED and ideas from the CPU realm don't always directly translate.

We are past the point now where you can easily just get a gpu performance bump via higher clocks and simple features. All that's already in.

The Adren 200 was clocked at like 266mhz. The 420 in the N6 is at 500mhz. The easy fixes are baked in. Hell the fucking Mali in the Note 4 internation is clocked at fucking 700mhz.

Now Qualcomm is gonna have to improve on the core design.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Not even the auto backup photos feature? Because that's intertwined with Google+. I think they will eventually break off the Photos app from Google+, but we are not there yet.
But that would be background data, wouldn't it? And WiFi because I restricted it. So the 75 MB of cell data is weird.

The stainless steel Sony Smarch 3 looks pretty good.

T8LI4kK.png

Still not as good as the Moto.

Has anyone gotten the Lollipop update for HTC One M8? Updated last night, started to run slow/stuttery. Found on an android forum that wiping the cache could help and that seemed to fix the slowness problem. But now it seems the battery runs faster than my USB cable can charge at work. I actually have to put it in Extreme power saver mode for it to charge now. Not sure what is causing this massive battery discharge all of a sudden and theres hardly anything running in the background.

thenexus6

kA9bO5q.jpg

To replace Nexus 5 after its recent problems. Looking forward to setting it up. I always felt the Nexus 5 was a little too big for me anyway. I am thinking of getting one of those motorola grip shells too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Factory reset that sumbitch.

I just did that with my G3 if only because I tried a ton of shit out on my new phone when I got it, but I wanted to start fresh. Figured now was a good time since I just got the Lollipop update.

Feels good to be fresh even if I had already removed a bunch of shit I tried and wasn't using before.

Honestly I'd fool w/ a chinese phone if it had US LTE bands.

I'm ready to buy a new handset but this shit is like choosing a talent tree in a MMORPG.

G3's jank is an overheating ass unnecessary QHD screen you can't see in sunlight & no quick charge

Note 4 has touchwiz, nuff said

One plus one has randomized piss filter displays out in the wild,

Nexus 6 has a dumb resolution, non removable battery

Z3 fucked up with random glass shattering

;__;

I'm ready to buy a new handset but this shit is like choosing a talent tree in a MMORPG.

G3's jank is an overheating ass unnecessary QHD screen you can't see in sunlight & no quick charge

;__;

This is exactly how I feel as well. This year has been a year of wiffs from Android phone manufacturers. I want a phone, but every single model seems to underwhelm.

people say "Note 4 has TouchWiz" as a problem when compared to hardware decisions made by other manufacturers. wake up, the bootloader isn't locked* so you can get rid of it entirely.

*unless your carrier is shit.

Wreav

Banned
Using anything but the Sammy camera app will lead to substantially worse pictures, and losing touchwiz kills the pen functions, right? Note 4 seems like a bad choice for a 3rd party ROM imo.

So they pimp Feb 12 for Oxygen OS and they show the fucking team? How tone deaf can you be lol. The snippet sounds interesting enough:

By doing so, we can offer better localization and faster updates. We can directly implement user feedback and make it easy for the OnePlus community to shape our ROM and create the OS that they want to use. Integration between hardware, software, and the cloud will become more seamless and unified for everyone using a OnePlus device. By creating our own software, we’re better able to work directly with our users to improve our OS. It’s something we’ve become quite fond of saying: when we work together, amazing things happen," OnePlus revealed

Though the realist in me makes me think it will be lightweight but a little too customized trying to do its own thing. Aka overdesigned. Hope not.

Husker86

A program/widget on Android behaving badly and detrimentally affecting the life of the phone?

Well, I never!

From an OEM who gets pretty good battery life? Yeah, it is a bit odd!

HTC fucks shit up, but they were the originals as far as making Android not look like shit. I would assume they know how to code software.

Wreav

Banned
From an OEM who gets pretty good battery life? Yeah, it is a bit odd!

HTC fucks shit up, but they were the originals as far as making Android not look like shit. I would assume they know how to code software.
Motos battery widget does the same thing on the Turbo, which is beast mode battery.

;__;
Gtfo the Nexus 6 has a good resolution. 1440p is the future.

Gtfo the Nexus 6 has a good resolution. 1440p is the future.

LOL. 1440p on a phone about as useful as a 4k tv with no content to broadcast. It's even worse because it compromises great battery life and there will never be logical justification for such a high resolution on a small display.

Android OEMs always needing to up the ante and check boxes that don't matter. Nobody asked for this shit.

Android manufacturers are fighting some weird war that no one cares about when it comes to specs. More megapixels more resolutions more screenz moarrr.

Occam's razor though. They do it because they are....basic. It's all they can think of to compete.

Except storage. For some reason a lot of them keep that to a minimum.

LOL. 1440p on a phone about as useful as a 4k tv with no content to broadcast. It's even worse because it compromises great battery life and there will never be logical justification for such a high resolution on a small display.

Android OEMs always needing to up the ante and check boxes that don't matter. Nobody asked for this shit.

but the Note 4 has great battery life and a 1440p screen. maybe 5.1 will fix that in the Nexus 6?

More touchwiz rumours:

In terms of performance, TouchWiz on the Galaxy S6 is said to be amazingly fast when compared to Android Lollipop on the Galaxy Note 4, which sounds awesome considering the state of optimization TouchWiz is currently in. Samsung has also adopted a lot of animations and effects that debuted on Lollipop – we can already see some of these effects in motion on Lollipop on existing Samsung devices, and it looks like the visual experience will be even better on the Galaxy S6.

In addition to the visual effects, there are also the following changes in the UI:

• Samsung’s default keyboard app supposedly looks more like a mix between the keyboard on the Galaxy Tab S and the iOS keyboard.
• More theming options are available
• All Samsung’s apps are more colorful
• You can select between 4×4, 4×5 and 5×5 icon layouts for the app drawer
• The app drawer no longer supports endless cycling through the list of apps (meaning you can’t go back from the last page to the first without going back through the previous pages).
• The music app still runs in full-screen mode at all times
• The dialer app looks “green as grass”, or that’s what we were told.
-sammobile

They also mention that it will come with pre-installed microsoft apps. Guess they had to remove the samsung bloat for the MS bloat. And no word on it being less ugly in general. Guess we'll find out in over 2 weeks.

Android manufacturers are fighting some weird war that no one cares about when it comes to specs. More megapixels more resolutions more screenz moarrr.

Occam's razor though. They do it because they are....basic. It's all they can think of to compete.

Except storage. For some reason a lot of them keep that to a minimum.

HTC tried! they really did.

More touchwiz rumours:

-sammobile

They also mention that it will come with pre-installed microsoft apps. Guess they had to remove the samsung bloat for the MS bloat. And no word on it being less ugly in general. Guess we'll find out in over 2 weeks.

It's going to look the exact same.

Whatever anyone hopes for is wrong. What everyone expects is correct.

Wreav

Banned
So you've seen the new Touchwiz then?

Sam Mobile has already show it running on the Note. Spoiler alert, it's the exact fucking same, save for their gross green/blue being even brighter and grosser.

e: oh, you're talking about the S6. Still gonna look like hot garbage. People who have no taste don't just develop it overnight.

Avixph

Sam Mobile has already show it running on the Note. Spoiler alert, it's the exact fucking same, save for their gross green/blue being even brighter and grosser.
It's not the same because Samsung never puts their upcoming version of Touchwiz on phones that are already out.

More touchwiz rumours:

-sammobile

More bloat, great!

So they're gonna have all Google's required apps, carrier crap, and now Microsoft crap? Sounds terrible if true. Most people are just gonna use Google's crap anyway.

Edit: Probably not a chance in hell, but hopefully they'll make use of that new lollipop feature so the bloat can be uninstalled instead of them being uninstallable system apps. I'd be cool with that.

Top Bottom