• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Wreav

Banned
Battery life is of course a hard to nail down metric, as everyone has unique usage patterns.

What I can tell you is the S6 has the 2nd worst battery of any 2014-2015 flagship I've tried, just above the Moto X 2014.

peeps complain about QHD but GOAT4 has great battery.
anything above 3000mah should be able to handle qhd pretty well assuming the OS isn't fucked up when it comes to standby time and whatnot.

But you say the note 4 has great battery life...and it does. Now imagine it had 1080p instead of QHD. It would go from great to omgwtfamazing.

anything above 3000mah should be able to handle qhd pretty well assuming the OS isn't fucked up when it comes to standby time and whatnot.

But you say the note 4 has great battery life...and it does. Now imagine it had 1080p instead of QHD. It would go from great to omgwtfamazing.

Yo imagine if our phones had no screens at all? Infinite battery life.

clav

now you is just being redonk.

frealz though. This spec war is laughable and all parties should be ashamed. It makes it even funnier when you realize everyone is doing badly so they're basically doing it for no reason.

What I don't understand was the push for QHD. Are 4K HDTVs selling that well to push for higher resolutions on phones?

What I don't understand was the push for QHD. Are 4K HDTVs selling that well to push for higher resolutions on phones?
these guys have no ideas so they just push specs. Simple as that. It's the only way they feel they can compete so they keep trying to one up eachother with specs and gimmicks.

It's amusing and sad.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You all taking for granted that the note 4 has great battery life makes me sad. Because mine doesn't. It's worse than my wife's s6 edge. So maybe some versions have great battery life, but not all. Not anymore.

clav

You all taking for granted that the note 4 has great battery life makes me sad. Because mine doesn't. It's worse than my wife's s6 edge. So maybe some versions have great battery life, but not all. Not anymore.

Numbers for comparison?

G2 is still available. I just don't know about signing a contract for 2 years. I hated seeing new phones when I was on contract.

My only complaint with my current phone is it won't get official OS updates any more. The camera could take better night shots, but everything else still works.

So I'm actually going to replace my Galaxy S3 this time.

I'm looking at last year's high end phones for a replacement because the 810 will cook my balls and I don't like Samsung any more. I don't really want to go full phablet either. I could budget to get the G4 or Z4, but I'm not really seeing the point because they don't seem like a huge jump over last year's phones.

I like having SD card support, at least, because I like to take photos and record video. The last time I went abroad that was a godsend. A replaceable battery is a bonus. I know someone selling a K Zoom, but I don't like the look.

So I'm thinking the LG G3, the Xperia Z3 or Z3 compact, or HTC One M8.

Is it really worth the $479 though for a 32GB? Or would it be just fine to go after an Nvidia Shield (one inch smaller and definitely cheaper) or the Tab S 8.4, which is $349 for 32GB with expandable storage?

Not worth that price but I would still take it over the shield. I know nothing about the Samsung.

I would say find a sweet deal online for the 9 or go for the Samsung if it's decent. Do not pay retail for the 9.

Toki767

So I'm actually going to replace my Galaxy S3 this time.

I'm looking at last year's high end phones for a replacement because the 810 will cook my balls and I don't like Samsung any more. I don't really want to go full phablet either. I could budget to get the G4 or Z4, but I'm not really seeing the point because they don't seem like a huge jump over last year's phones.

I like having SD card support, at least, because I like to take photos and record video. The last time I went abroad that was a godsend. A replaceable battery is a bonus. I know someone selling a K Zoom, but I don't like the look.

So I'm thinking the LG G3, the Xperia Z3 or Z3 compact, or HTC One M8.

If you like taking a lot of photos, I don't know how you could not go for the G4. The thing is probably as close to having a portable DSLR in your pocket as you'll get.

TheRook

I went to best buy to demo the S6 today and my initial impressions were this.

I'm not a fan of the "black" color option they have...it's really blue...

White, emerald, and gold look amazing though. I'm really leaning towards the gold now seeing it in person...it looks damn near chrome.

Double tapping to open the camera is really cool, It's a neat feature I can see myself getting used to.

TW is not a bad as it was on the S5 from what I saw, it ran apps and stuff with little to no lag. If I had to nitpick something that would be myself not being accustomed to the notification shade and touchwiz UI changes from stock OS. As far as launchers go...I'm going to either throw Google now launcher or Nova Prime on it once I get my own as I'm not a fan of the stock one. Same games with the keyboard, I'll rather use googles keyboard.

I got a chance to mess with the camera and it took photos very quickly, the quality is a huge jump from the Nexus 5 that Im Currently using. Being inside the store was optimal conditions for photos with all the light, I want to see how it fairs in low light.

I also like the build quality of the phone, glass and metal makes if feel a lot like the Nexus 4 and oddly the iPhone. It was easy to hold the S6 but the Edge was something else....it looks badass but I don't like how it feels in the hand, the edges(no pun intended) dig into your hand as you hold it, it's not very comfortable to hold. S6 felt smooth and something I could get used to...however I believe I'll be getting a spigen neo hybrid metal case for it.

Unfortunatly I won't be upgrading until the fall so I got sometime to wait on what else comes out but I'm quite impressed with what I got to play with today.

thenexus6

So I charged my Z1C to 100% at 1:00AM this morning, I wake up at 8:00AM to find its only got 17% left. I look on my battery and see gmail has used 44% of my battery..

I force stopped whatever, recharged and looked again and its dropped from 100 to 88 in no time at all. What gives? It's never done anything like this before.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So I charged my Z1C to 100% at 1:00AM this morning, I wake up at 8:00AM to find its only got 17% left. I look on my battery and see gmail has used 44% of my battery..

I force stopped whatever, recharged and looked again and its dropped from 100 to 88 in no time at all. What gives? It's never done anything like this before.

Try clearing cache. I don't know. google shrug

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Higher res works so much better in theory for practical use on text than it does for say movies or tv.

This is doubly so for many Asian languages.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yay, good for you! Mine did too, then I updated to lollipop. Then this happened:

Screenshot_2015-05-23-08-12-07_zpsotttdhvd.jpg

Classic Android

this_guy

Gsmarena's battery life results for the G4 are a little disappointing. On the bright side web browsing battery life is up over the G3, so maybe it was just something in lollipop that caused standby battery life to tank.

Next up is Huawei with their announcement on June 2. While no one is going to be excited about Huawei, if they deliver an unlocked P8 for the US market in the price range of the Oneplus it would be a phone to consider. If the price creeps up near the other flagships then I don't think any one would care.

Gsmarena's battery life results for the G4 are a little disappointing. On the bright side web browsing battery life is up over the G3, so maybe it was just something in lollipop that caused standby battery life to tank.

Next up is Huawei with their announcement on June 2. While no one is going to be excited about Huawei, if they deliver an unlocked P8 for the US market in the price range of the Oneplus it would be a phone to consider. If the price creeps up near the other flagships then I don't think any one would care.

GSMArenas battery benchmarks are bullshit.

clav

GSMArenas battery benchmarks are bullshit.

I think there's some truth in them when other sites echo the same remarks about the G4's battery life.

2YeLdtU.png

Also from early test users: http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/general/hows-battery-life-t3114153/

Seems like LG achieved a brighter screen by driving a higher voltage for the backlight. Hence, worse battery life than G3. I've seen this engineering practice done in brightness comparisons for marketing. I wonder what the screen will look like after an year in terms of brightness.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Try disabling Google Now :s

Did you factory reset your phone when you updated it to Lollipop?

You should definitely call your carrier or Samsung, that's not normal.

It's a known issue with the at&t version and lollipop. I know two other people with note 4's, both suffered decreased battery life and performance degradation after the update. One of them got their phone exchanged, that didn't help. Lollipop 5.0 is broken, and something about at&t makes it worse. An s5 and my old m8 suffered the same fate after updating. As for my note 4, I didn't get it from the carrier, so my only choice is to wait for an update or sell it.

Toki767

It's a known issue with the at&t version and lollipop. I know two other people with note 4's, both suffered decreased battery life and performance degradation after the update. One of them got their phone exchanged, that didn't help. Lollipop 5.0 is broken, and something about at&t makes it worse. An s5 and my old m8 suffered the same fate after updating. As for my note 4, I didn't get it from the carrier, so my only choice is to wait for an update or sell it.

I bet it's VoLTE. Try disabling it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How do you disable it?

I've disabled G+ and now seems my note 4 can go to deep sleep normally, unlike before. Will have to keep an eye for a few days though

Go to settings, then more networks, then mobile data, then enhanced data services, and turn it off.

I'll try disabling Google+ too.

Eanan

Is the One Plus One still a decent phone?

I stand by my opinion that last summer, the OPO was a bargain. But now, its specs arent as impressive and its still the same price. And its support is very poor.

Id for a old flagship instead like the Xperia Z2 or LG G3.

JoeFu

Banned
My friend talked me I to ordering one ,but I'm gonna refuse delivery. Just gonna wait for the G4 especially since we get free stuff for buying it. The free battery/charger, and SD card seems like a nice deal. Hope the phone itself isn't too expensive.

Hasney

Eh, I'd still have an OPO over a G4 with that battery life. It just kills it from the reviews I've seen.

The phones gonna be $649 when it comes out apparently.

Wreav

Banned
Threw my SIM into the iPhone 6 today for giggles.

Holy poop, the S6 camera just craps all over Apple. I had forgotten just how much, though.

Seriously, though, the S6 is just in a league of its own here.

Threw my SIM into the iPhone 6 today for giggles.

Holy poop, the S6 camera just craps all over Apple. I had forgotten just how much, though.

Seriously, though, the S6 is just in a league of its own here.
yeah it's pretty sick. Samsung pls. Throwin a bigger battery for the S7 and it would take a lot to stop me from getting it.

Wreav

Banned
Given that Apple's big camera update is this year, I'm very interested to see how the 6S will stack up, and if the update is good enough to dissuade sales of the S7 next year.

I have a hard time believing that Apple will top Sammy's camera, though, especially if they only bump to 12mp as rumored.

Given that Apple's big camera update is this year, I'm very interested to see how the 6S will stack up, and if the update is good enough to dissuade sales of the S7 next year.

I have a hard time believing that Apple will top Sammy's camera, though, especially if they only bump to 12mp as rumored.
meh I'm sure apple will beat it sooner or later.

Also Apple could release a phone worse than the iphone 6 and people still won't get an S7 lol.

Top Bottom