• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Not as good as that previous $80 deal.

What are those decisions?

Mostly notifications and sound related. 5.1.1 at least made my notification light and alarms work again when I'm in silent mode(now priority mode). Battery is horrible though, and I seriously question the people saying it is better than KitKat, since there are well known memory leaks and bugs that keep your phone awake relating to google services and lollipop.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
People who think KK is better than Lollipop are unrefined heathens.

Noema

Can you explain why? What does lollipop do better than the older OSes?

UI in general is much more refined. KK was a hodgepodge of styles and designs dating all the way back to 3.0. Lollipop just looks clean, consistent and most importantly deliberately designed as opposed to just put together.

It has better notifications, better lockscreen, gets rid of the old quick settings that required an awkward two finger pulldown and replaces it with a nicer, sleeker and easier to access quick toggle menu, better backup and recovery options (still not as good as iOS but it's getting better), and an actual DND mode on stock Android. Location based smart lock makes it quick and easy to specify safe places so you don't need to enter your pin when at home.

It has a smaller memory footprint, which is big deal on phones with less than 2 GB of memory. ART is also faster than Dalvik on slower phones. And battery life, at least on my Moto G, is phenomenal. 5 hours of SoT is the standard for me.

YMMV of course, many of the things lollipop features were already available on custom ROMs by OEMs and flagship phones have less to gain from the move to ART. But Kit Kat on my Moto G was not only ugly, it simply didn't run all that well, what with hitching, Swiftkey crashing because it ran out of RAM, a random process like media server suddenly draining my battery, having to reboot the phone daily, etc.

Furyous

I want an 2015 flagship that feels premium lasts for two to three years, has an SD card/removable battery, great camera, IR blaster, at least 32 GB of on-board storage, is 5.2 inches or under, and close to stock android. Is there an OEM that can fulfill my requirement this year or do I have to wait for next year?

I want an 2015 flagship that feels premium lasts for two to three years, has an SD card/removable battery, great camera, IR blaster, at least 32 GB of on-board storage, is 5.2 inches or under, and close to stock android. Is there an OEM that can fulfill my requirement this year or do I have to wait for next year?

So you need to build a time machine is what you're saying?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Everything Lollipop tried to do was in the right direction.

It's the bugs like the memory leak that killed it not the features.

Toki767

You'll never find a flagship like that. There has never even been a flagship like that.

clav

Sales + marketing teams are making the engineering design decisions here.

"Why would anyone want to upgrade to a phone with lower specs?"

catmincer

Friend got a HTC desire eye. It is actually really nice from a hardware design point. The chassis is polycarbonate and the screen/speakers are lovely too. The cameras aren't amazing but They're not terrible.

I actually like the design more than the one series, no curved back.

Jigolo

nexus2cee_ds3.gif

yummy

HawkeyeIC

I don't know that you're ever going to get all those features, specifically the SD/removable battery.

XFON2K15

BELIEVE!

close to stock means they usually drop the IR Blaster and SD since that's not stock.

and then the battery gets sealed because why not?

Anyone going to pick up one of the new Sony 4K Android TVs? Apparently it launched a couple days ago and still lacks netflix even with its dedicated button.

I am eyeing up the 49 inch for a thousand but the nvidia shield android tv may be out any day as well.

Toki767

Anyone going to pick up one of the new Sony 4K Android TVs? Apparently it launched a couple days ago and still lacks netflix even with its dedicated button.

I am eyeing up the 49 inch for a thousand but the nvidia shield android tv may be out any day as well.
I'm tempted to but I feel like Android TV is kind of half-baked. Moreso than Android Auto.

I'm tempted to but I feel like Android TV is kind of half-baked. Moreso than Android Auto.

Its got full chromecast to fall back on and supposed to have netflix, hulu, and plex. Thats plenty for me even if it is half baked.

Just need to decide between the TV or the shield box. My TV isnt the greatest but I feel it could be a regretful move to buy a 4k/android set this early.

this_guy

Personally I'd rather just get a Roku box and choose my TV without the smart functionality.

Toki767

Its got full chromecast to fall back on and supposed to have netflix, hulu, and plex. Thats plenty for me even if it is half baked.

Just need to decide between the TV or the shield box. My TV isnt the greatest but I feel it could be a regretful move to buy a 4k/android set this early.
All Smart TVs have at least Netflix and Hulu built in already. Sony does have the best 4K technology though so if you want the best image quality and low response time, Sony TVs are the ones to get.

Furyous

XFON2K15

BELIEVE!

close to stock means they usually drop the IR Blaster and SD since that's not stock.

and then the battery gets sealed because why not?

So Google needs to introduce an IR blaster SDK in addition to the rumored fingerprint SDK? I need as close to stock as possible. Now that Lenovo bought Motorola there's hope.

Believe in the 2015 Moto X with a great camera 2700 Mah battery and an IR blaster/SD card sot. Keyword believe as in it doesn['t exist.

Jacir

UI in general is much more refined. KK was a hodgepodge of styles and designs dating all the way back to 3.0. Lollipop just looks clean, consistent and most importantly deliberately designed as opposed to just put together.

It has better notifications, better lockscreen, gets rid of the old quick settings that required an awkward two finger pulldown and replaces it with a nicer, sleeker and easier to access quick toggle menu, better backup and recovery options (still not as good as iOS but it's getting better), and an actual DND mode on stock Android. Location based smart lock makes it quick and easy to specify safe places so you don't need to enter your pin when at home.

It has a smaller memory footprint, which is big deal on phones with less than 2 GB of memory. ART is also faster than Dalvik on slower phones. And battery life, at least on my Moto G, is phenomenal. 5 hours of SoT is the standard for me.

YMMV of course, many of the things lollipop features were already available on custom ROMs by OEMs and flagship phones have less to gain from the move to ART. But Kit Kat on my Moto G was not only ugly, it simply didn't run all that well, what with hitching, Swiftkey crashing because it ran out of RAM, a random process like media server suddenly draining my battery, having to reboot the phone daily, etc.

I don't know every single intracacies about KK and L, but I believe I can confirm this. After waiting for so long for the Moto G update, finally got it couple days ago. The above experience with KK on this phone was dreadful with these same issues. Memory leaks, apps keep appearing in memory without even me opening them, etc. So far none of this has happened yet on L. And the battery time has noticeably been increased.

Edit- I'm on 5.0.2

Husker86

Personally I'd rather just get a Roku box and choose my TV without the smart functionality.
I'd normally agree, but if you want 4k streaming, you have to use the built in apps. Not sure what external devices support it, but the Roku doesn't AFAIK.

Shouldn't be an issue when a new version comes out, though.

Noema

I don't know every single intracacies about KK and L, but I believe I can confirm this. After waiting for so long for the Moto G update, finally got it couple days ago. The above experience with KK on this phone was dreadful with these same issues. Memory leaks, apps keep appearing in memory without even me opening them, etc. So far none of this has happened yet on L. And the battery time has noticeably been increased.

Edit- I'm on 5.0.2

I believe many of the benefits of Lollipop, such as better performance with ART, further refinements of Butter and Svelte and so on are much more noticeable on low end devices like the Moto G since every bit makes a difference.

holy crap who knew huawei made such beautiful devices??

Their new devices are sooooo nice but what the hell is a Kirin processor

edit: http://www.androidcentral.com/huawei-p8-review

Nexus 2015 is going to be made by huawei is this confirmed?
I wouldn't say it's confirmed but where there's smoke there's fire. There has been multiple rumors of huawei making the next Nexus device. there has also been a separate rumor that both LG and Huawei are making one. But that rumor has appeared less often.

consider the fact that at Google i/o they're probably going to spend a lot of time talking about Android Pay and their new fingerprint sensor API's. And who else other than Samsung has a fingerprint sensor in all their phones these days that works well. Basically just Huawei.

If Google puts a large emphasis on those things there's no way their nexus doesn't come equipped with it.

Furyous

holy crap who knew huawei made such beautiful devices??

Their new devices are sooooo nice but what the hell is a Kirin processor

edit: http://www.androidcentral.com/huawei-p8-review

Nexus 2015 is going to be made by huawei is this confirmed?

A Huawei stock android P8/Mate 7 fixes everything wrong with the device according to that review. If Android M is the only Android version we receive this year then that means this could be the next Nexus. Can Huawei get away with manufacturing a Nexus device?

A Kirin processor is an irrationally emo bad daddy of the smartphone world. It's lightning fast... This is a stealth Naruto reference.

A Huawei stock android P8/Mate 7 fixes everything wrong with the device according to that review. If Android M is the only Android version we receive this year then that means this could be the next Nexus. Can Huawei get away with manufacturing a Nexus device?

A Kirin processor is an irrationally emo bad daddy of the smartphone world. It's lightning fast... This is a stealth Naruto reference.

It's not a stealth reference if you call it out in the next sentence

Mindwipe

I'd normally agree, but if you want 4k streaming, you have to use the built in apps. Not sure what external devices support it, but the Roku doesn't AFAIK.

Shouldn't be an issue when a new version comes out, though.

This will change soon, but at the moment there are no set top boxes that support 4k Netflix. It's TV apps only, quite deliberately.

terrier

MBKHD makes a point to say standby time is fantastic for him. Went from 100 to 98 in one night. GSMarena makes a point of saying:

The answer is...that's android for you. Even 1 single app could make the world of different for two people using the same phone. It's some bs.

yup. Huawei devices come with some kind of app or settings that tells you when some apps drain your battery , it is a bit confusing at first because notifications are a bit annoying but useful once you get it.

Btw, 2 days since i disabled G+ and standby time has gone back to normal on my note4, deep sleep in now working as expected. I lost photos sync but hopefully the upcoming standalone app for Photos will not be broken and will be able to backup them again

Top Bottom