• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

LOL. 1440p on a phone about as useful as a 4k tv with no content to broadcast. It's even worse because it compromises great battery life and there will never be logical justification for such a high resolution on a small display.

Android OEMs always needing to up the ante and check boxes that don't matter. Nobody asked for this shit.
Note 4. And are you really saying there will never be a reason? Samsung's VR requires a high resolution display. Or is that not logical?
Yeah I love the Note 4 and everything, but for screens, 1080p should be enough.
Enough for how long? Might as well stay at 1080p for the rest of our lives then

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It's not the same because Samsung never puts their upcoming version of Touchwiz on phones that are already out.
Wait, so you're telling me it'll never get better, not even a little?

This is depressing. I'm seriously considering taking the Note 4 back and waiting to see how the S6 turns out.

Wreav

Banned
Wait, so you're telling me it'll never get better, not even a little?

This is depressing. I'm seriously considering taking the Note 4 back and waiting to see how the S6 turns out.
Look at the differences between 4.4 and 5.0 on the S5, and that's what the Note is getting.

Has anyone gotten the Lollipop update for HTC One M8? Updated last night, started to run slow/stuttery. Found on an android forum that wiping the cache could help and that seemed to fix the slowness problem. But now it seems the battery runs faster than my USB cable can charge at work. I actually have to put it in Extreme power saver mode for it to charge now. Not sure what is causing this massive battery discharge all of a sudden and theres hardly anything running in the background.

I got it for the M7 two days ago.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys. Today I ordered my Shield Tablet, a badass hardcase from Poetic, an SD card, and on a whim an ipega telescoping controller.

I've never felt the need to own an Android controller before but with NVidia Grid, and the strange time I had last weekend playing Super Mario 1 with my girlfriend in bed on my tablet using touch controls, I thought it might be cool.

So are there apps that will allow me to like assign gestures to button presses or does a game have to distinctly support Bluetooth controllers for it to be of any use?

Like I said, I largely bought it for emulation and games that natively support controllers so it's cool either way, but are games that do support them still fairly rare? It would be awesome to just make any game compliant by assigning gestures to buttons.

terrier

Having reviewed and thoroughly tested the flagship smartphone cameras, here's how it worked out:

Nexus 6 - Fantastic low light and daylight performer with regards to slow or static subjects. Probably the most balanced tonally, when using HDR+ (almost no reason to ever turn it off).

Shutter speed at its fastest, is pretty darn slow using the stock camera. Makes capturing the spontaneous moments a bit tough; I recommend using L camera or Manual camera for fast motion shots or where you expect quick bursts are needed.

Note 4 - EXCELLENT shadow contrast and incredible fine detail resolution and decent shutter speed. Only negatives are the tendancy to blow highlights a little unless manually adjusted, and low light noise reduction being far too aggressive (resulting in less fine detail even compared to lower MP shooters). This is common with Samsung phones in general however. The stock app sports a wealth of options if you like tinkering with real time effects and post processing.

iPhone 6+ - OIS makes a drastic difference between this model and the smaller brother. Can't be stated enough, but that allows the former to pull off some gorgeous night shots even with the lower resolution sensor. Actually, of three best (and these ARE the three best of the relavant mobile OS's) the iPhone 6+ takes the cake for low light performance (big sensor) with the nexus 6 and note 4 mostly tied. Daylight performance is nothing to sneeze at either; usually offering something close to the nexus 6 in tone but at lightning fast shutter speeds....even with HDR on! It's the best results for the hassle easily of the three; just overall, gets more right with little compromise (fine detail distance resolution being its only notable flaw - and its not nearly as bad as it SHOULD be given the MP disparity).

So, that's my two cents.

I own a One plus One for what it's worth.

Thanks! I'm no camera expert, but i use it a lot for my daughters which move too fast XD Even for dedicated cameras.
So looks like an overall tie all things considered but with a slight i6+ advantage if we consider the fast shutter speed a nice bonus to have in a smartphone camera since it is probably the one you will use (unless you carry a dedicated camera all day) in a espotaneous picture you wanna take.
I think it is most a software thing so i wonder if samsung/motorola/google will be able to shorten the gap with apple. That should be a priority for their cameras since other features are on par or even better.

I wonder where the ois less iphone sits and where z3 would be in a camera comparison too. I have played with a z3 and also seemed to take great photos. A bit slow focusing though.

Using anything but the Sammy camera app will lead to substantially worse pictures, and losing touchwiz kills the pen functions, right? Note 4 seems like a bad choice for a 3rd party ROM imo.
Agree.

Also agree on 1440p is an overkill for phones, despite my note's diplay being gorgeous. Probably more useful in a phablet than in a 5 inch phone though, but i also wish it had been 1080p and had even better battery life

pd. yay, lollipop for snapdragon note 4 already rolling, let's check what it does :)

Welp I think I fucked up my Z3 battery with bad charging habits.

It's gone from 100 to 97 in about 12 mins of browsing. I could have sworn it used to last longer than that on each percentage. But now thst I think about it 12 mins is a long time...Wow I'm addicted to the net...

That looks nothing like what they showed at CES with the rubber.

Are you sure?

T8LI4kK.png
A3UR5bq.jpg

Still, 299 is a bit much.

My note edge is randomly draining battery like crazy, any tips? Still going fast with no blue/location/minimum brightness. No apps open via the menu and only standard background stuff like Microsoft health and is functions

Fjolle

Hello.

What's up with my gen1 moto g not updating to lollipop? Its on 4.4.4 I believe. I have clicked on system update for more than a month now. I want to upgrade L.

Am I alone in having memory leaks with this phone? Will L solve this?

Well. Motorola is about as useless about updates as every other android developer. It's out in some countries and for some variants, but the first version isn't updated in Europe or US. You can probably download a rom from XDA if you want to try that..

For the memory problems. You're not alone, but I have no idea if they fixed it with L. Some people on reddit report that it has been fixed, and other say it hasn't changed at all.

From the OnePlus AMA about Oxygen OS:

Someone asked how the UI will look:

Google for some Android Lollipop screenshots. It will be very close.

Someone asked a bunch of questions about it being based on paranoid android and the features:

1) Vanilla experience with a OnePlus twist
2) What is the scale used to define open? It will not be pre rooted.
3) It will not be based on PA, but both PA and OxygenOS are based on AOSP.
4) If we have the ability to make something that's better than stock we'll include it, but this isn't our focus right now.

Also it won't be open source but they will release the kernal similar to what samsung and other OEMs do.

more answers:

We'll be focusing on the basics such as stability and battery life first, but won't rule this out as a feature in the future. We'll be closely engaging with you guys on what to build for OxygenOS.
For the OnePlus One, it will likely not be an OTA, but rather a choice for users who want to try something new and are willing to flash it themselves.

funkypie

Banned
Not sure if to get the iPhone 6 or wait until end of march for the HTC M9? Any ideas?

I like how fast iOS runs but I'm not a fan of the restrictions on it, no intention of jail breaking either device so I can stream sky at work.

Not sure if to get the iPhone 6 or wait until end of march for the HTC M9? Any ideas?

I like how fast iOS runs but I'm not a fan of the restrictions on it, no intention of jail breaking either device so I can stream sky at work.
might as well wait then, it's not that long.

From the OnePlus AMA about Oxygen OS:

Someone asked how the UI will look:

Someone asked a bunch of questions about it being based on paranoid android and the features:

Also it won't be open source but they will release the kernal similar to what samsung and other OEMs do.

more answers:
Close to stock beats CM all day every day.
I would even use TW over CM

Hasney

Yeah but why lol? I'm basically asking about iPhone6 vs m9.

Why not?

Seriously, other than camera, the rest of it comes down to OS preference. Have a play around with a Lollipop device if you can and decide then.

I'll probably never go back to iPhones purely because of that limiting factor (and browsing the web the way I do is a bit of a joke with 1GB).

Noones had an M9 in their hand yet, so we can't really say how great or not it is. It looks good for a phone in that size range though.

funkypie

Banned
Why not?

Seriously, other than camera, the rest of it comes down to OS preference. Have a play around with a Lollipop device if you can and decide then.

I'll probably never go back to iPhones purely because of that limiting factor (and browsing the web the way I do is a bit of a joke with 1GB).

Noones had an M9 in their hand yet, so we can't really say how great or not it is. It looks good for a phone in that size range though.

Yeah fact that I can't set custom songs/files as ring tones etc is annoying. What other restrictions does iOS do? Haven't used it in ages.

Fjolle

Yeah fact that I can't set custom songs/files as ring tones etc is annoying. What other restrictions does iOS do? Haven't used it in ages.

Basing your opinion on iOS version 1 or whatever might be a bit disingenuous. You can absolutely add your own ringtones.

Note 4. And are you really saying there will never be a reason? Samsung's VR requires a high resolution display. Or is that not logical?

Enough for how long? Might as well stay at 1080p for the rest of our lives then

Now we're grasping. Seriously who cares about VR on a phone when you can have godly battery life? No one that matters, I'll say that much.

Seriously.

1080p
3-4GB RAM
805-810 processor
3000+mAh removable (maybe) battery
SD slot

It's not that hard

Now we're grasping. Seriously who cares about VR on a phone when you can have godly battery life? No one that matters, I'll say that much.

Seriously.

1080p
3-4GB RAM
805-810 processor
SD slot

It's not that hard

Should stick to 720p displays then. You'd get even godlier battery life. Technology will improve to the point that phones with 1440p displays will easily get 2 to 3 day battery life. Then when the next leap comes, people will complain about how 1440p is enough.

this_guy

Seriously.

1080p
3-4GB RAM
805-810 processor
SD slot

It's not that hard

But battery life is not a negative on the Note 4.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Welcome to the iOS thread all. Happy Apple'ing.

PS: God I hate 90% of the internet articles on 64 bit computing as they are fucking clueless.

Gwanatu T

$600 for a Jelly Bean phone with an 801. You've lost your goddamned mind.

Buy a OnePlus One instead. Nearly identical hardware, much better support, phenomenal software and one of the best cameras on the market, especially if you use the modded one on XDA. Its also $350 for a 64gb. Just wait til next Tuesday and buy one.

But battery life is not a negative on the Note 4.

but touchwiz is though

Buy a OnePlus One instead. Nearly identical hardware, much better support, phenomenal software and one of the best cameras on the market, especially if you use the modded one on XDA. Its also $350 for a 64gb. Just wait til next Tuesday and buy one.

You know what I would, but between the Chance of getting a yellow screen, and the apparent lack of support should I receive a yellow screen, it's a hard sell.

this_guy

but touchwiz is though

You were complaining about 1440 resolution and battery life - what does that have to do with touchwiz? If you can't stand touchwiz that's fine, I'm not a fan of it either, but that doesn't change the fact that the Note 4 has arguably the best screen and has great battery life to go along with it.

Yeah but why lol? I'm basically asking about iPhone6 vs m9.

it's really not possible to compare the two. iOS and Android are apples and oranges. iPhone will probably still have the better camera, better app store. M9 will have Android on it which you said you like the openness to customize or for whatever reason you like the openness.

HTC M9 will have a bigger screen by a bit. There's a chance the battery life could be better.

it's really not possible to compare the two. iOS and Android are apples and oranges. iPhone will probably still have the better camera, better app store. M9 will have Android on it which you said you like the openness to customize or for whatever reason you like the openness.

HTC M9 will have a bigger screen by a bit. There's a chance the battery life could be better.

Changing defaults apps is a huge fucking deal. I want to talk to my phone in busy traffic and I sure as hell do not want it to open apple maps when google maps has lane guidance

Well. Motorola is about as useless about updates as every other android developer. It's out in some countries and for some variants, but the first version isn't updated in Europe or US. You can probably download a rom from XDA if you want to try that..

For the memory problems. You're not alone, but I have no idea if they fixed it with L. Some people on reddit report that it has been fixed, and other say it hasn't changed at all.

Moto has pushed out the update to twice the amount of models that the competition has.

You were complaining about 1440 resolution and battery life - what does that have to do with touchwiz? If you can't stand touchwiz that's fine, I'm not a fan of it either, but that doesn't change the fact that the Note 4 has arguably the best screen and has great battery life to go along with it.

It has to do with my original post, in which i vented my frustration about not finding an ideal phone, which cited note 4's only weakness as touchwiz. Or did you not read that? That was the whole point.

Touchwiz is an abhorrent, bastardized version of android I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Note 4 has good battery life and has great hardware, but would be even better with a 1080p screen. Again, who the fuck cares about underdeveloped VR on a smartphone. 1440p is and will continue to be completely unnecessary on smartphones.

But let's keep arguing about dumb shit hough

I mean, at least contribute an opinion instead of posting silly shit like this. See my above post.

Then again, this isn't the only time you've had difficulty contributing to something

It has to do with my original post, in which i vented my frustration about not finding an ideal phone, which cited note 4's only weakness as touchwiz. Or did you not read that? That was the whole point.

Touchwiz is an abhorrent, bastardized version of android I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Note 4 has good battery life and has great hardware, but would be even better with a 1080p screen. Again, who the fuck cares about underdeveloped VR on a smartphone. 1440p is and will continue to be completely unnecessary on smartphones.

But let's keep arguing about dumb shit hough

I mean, at least contribute an opinion instead of posting silly shit like this. See my above post.

Then again, this isn't the only time you've had difficulty contributing to something
Yeah whatever you say. The Note 4 has excellent battery life. It has better battery life than phones WITH 1080p displays. I'm just going to laugh at you when waves of smartphones start using 1440p.

Plus you shouldn't try to embarrass other posters while using a broken link.

Yeah whatever you say. The Note 4 has excellent battery life. It has better battery life than phones WITH 1080p displays. I'm just going to laugh at you when waves of smartphones start using 1440p.

Plus you shouldn't try to embarrass other posters while using a broken link.

You're not even making sense. My argument was never that more phones wouldn't utilize 1440p. My argument is that it's completely unnecessary. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive FYI.

Android OEM's keep taking L's because instead of giving people things they want, they add another bullet point on their powerpoint sheet for shit no one is asking for, like 1440p and overly skinned UI.

Changing defaults apps is a huge fucking deal. I want to talk to my phone in busy traffic and I sure as hell do not want it to open apple maps when google maps has lane guidance

Moto has pushed out the update to twice the amount of models that the competition has.

While not a real fix for changing the default map app, you can actually have Apple Maps open Google Maps and send your route there with the push of a button in the Apple Maps app.

Top Bottom