• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Hasney

Heh, Sony not wanting to waste the Z4 name on an 810 powered phone. Think we'll only see a Z4 this year if the 820 is ready though.

terrier

considering still 1080p i wonder if 810>801 in real world performance. Also battery seems to be slightly smaller than regular z3 so....

Aticos

They changed PlayStation to PSN

JJRG8z3.png

Kuros

>2015

>Not using custom launcher with custom icon pack

Do you even android dood?

The vast majority of people who buy phones don't. Sony is sticking its advertising out there with these absolutely rubbish icons and a refresh is needed.

terrier

Just use nova prime apart from the missing google now swipe it can look 100% like stock and it supports icon packs (you get the LP icon pack by default)

Its Sony so don't keep your hopes up

too bad i mainly use that launcher because of that :/ I wish google allowed it on other launchers too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm not going to upgrade my Nexus 6 until a good phone with USB C comes out. I'll probably be waiting a while.

I'm really hoping there'll be a Nexus 6 (2016) with USB C and some other shizz. No way am I going smaller for any phone.
Same! I hope. I always say this but eventually succumb.

Jigolo

I actually like the Z3+ move by Sony by announcing their flagship early(er) in the year as opposed to Septemberish. I found it weird that Sony didn't announce a device at CES this year but now the stage is really set for the Z5(or completely new name) at CES 2016.

Z5 prediction:
Design will finally change - screen size remains the same, side bezels virtually disappear, top and bottom finally get a trim (finally!), overall smaller dimensions. although I wouldn't be surprised if they up the screen size to 5.5
OIS
QHD (maybe the OLED from Morpheus, yes I know I'm dreaming here :(
SD 820 FinFet
Please keep front facing speakers and waterproof stuff Sony

Anth1888

^

We've seen leaks of Sony's new panel codename Lavender so it could appear at IFA as their September flagship. Sony should keep Sept/Oct as their annual cycle as the Z3 came out that time last year. The Z3+ is purely a stopgap no way they'll keep that their flagship for 7+ months.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The vast majority of people who buy phones don't. Sony is sticking its advertising out there with these absolutely rubbish icons and a refresh is needed.

The vast majority don't care about what icons look like either. If you care enough, you probably know enough that you can change them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I know Google screwed up on battery life with 5.01, but I have faith that 5.1 will fix a ton of issues. The problem of course is that, in the meantime, I'm stuck with an awesome phone that has terrible battery life despite a huge battery.

But the way they've improved battery life on android wear is impressive. They add features and improve battery life at the same time. Standby battery life on my watch is so good, barely loses any charge overnight. That's iOS level battery drain right there.

Reached my frustration limit with this VZW G3, and grabbed a Nexus 6. Gimme that sweet stock Lollipop experience plz.

Any tips on selling via Swappa for a first-time user?

Jigolo

^

We've seen leaks of Sony's new panel codename Lavender so it could appear at IFA as their September flagship. Sony should keep Sept/Oct as their annual cycle as the Z3 came out that time last year. The Z3+ is purely a stopgap no way they'll keep that their flagship for 7+ months.
That's mainly just another selfie phone. Not considered a flagship like the Z series.

i wish google now launcher supported icon packs. That ugly phone icon on my note 4 :(
yes please

Toki767

Because I want quick charge! I also have no need to charge my phone that many times without being able to recharge the battery pack. I do wish the quick charge one had two USB ports, though.

It supports quick charge. That's what they call their AI Power Technology thing. One USB port is the quick charge 2.0 compatible 2.1A and the other is the standard 1A.

So for the Z3+/Z4, it looks like it will have the new Snapdragon 810 revision? As in less heat and overall better and stable performance?

If it does, I may seriously consider the Z3+.

Jigolo

only thing wrong with oneplus is the software is made by teenagers in their basement (and all the crappy hardare issues)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Husker86

It supports quick charge. That's what they call their AI Power Technology thing. One USB port is the quick charge 2.0 compatible 2.1A and the other is the standard 1A.
2.1A on 5V isn't Qualcomm Quick Charge. They'd mention it like they do on their 10,000mah version if it was Quick Charge certified. 2.1A has been on chargers for years, quick charge actually has higher voltage levels.

They do have a larger quick charge one, but it's not available. The link to it is on the 10000mah page.

Toki767

2.1A on 5V isn't Qualcomm Quick Charge. They'd mention it like they do on their 10,000mah version if it was Quick Charge certified. 2.1A has been on chargers for years, quick charge actually has higher voltage levels.

They do have a larger quick charge one, but it's not available. The link to it is on the 10000mah page.

Isn't the whole point of Quick Charge to give some adaptive fast charging? Like going from 0 to 60% is going to be faster than going from 70 to 100%?

It doesn't have to be Quick Charge certified to offer Quick Charge.

It goes both ways for phones. The S6 isn't Quick Charge 2.0 certified but it still uses the same technology.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Husker86

Isn't the whole point of Quick Charge to give some adaptive fast charging? Like going from 0 to 60% is going to be faster than going from 70 to 100%?

It doesn't have to be Quick Charge certified to offer Quick Charge.

It goes both ways for phones. The S6 isn't Quick Charge 2.0 certified but it still uses the same technology.
Quick Charge spec can vary voltage and amperage up to 18W. 2.1A at 5V is just over 10W. Yes, it's adaptive, but the one you posted will not go over 10W, which is what OEM chargers have been doing for a while now. The one I posted can go to 18W, which is why it is a certified quick charge charger.

longdi

Banned

On their site, battery life

Code:
Z2
3200 mAh minimum
Talk time: up to 19 hours***
Standby time: up to 740 hours***
Music listening time: Up to 120 hours***
Video playback time: Up to 10 hours***

Z3
3100 mAh
Talk time: up to 16 hours***
Standby time: up to 920 hours***
Music listening time: up to 130 hours***
Video playback time: up to 10 hours***

Z3+
2930 mAh
Talk time: up to 17 hours
Standby time: up to 590 hours
Music listening: Up to 91 hours
Video playback: Up to 580 min

ruh-oh 810 doing a 810, and if Sony actually stop decreasing battery capacity with every new model....

2015 year of Android failure continues.

S6 admittedly has good hardware and design, but also comes with a stupid battery decision, and ultimately poor sales even for the best designed Android phone yet.

Top Bottom