• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So what are the downsides to the G4. I think this will be my next phone when my contract is up in a month as it seems to tick most of the boxes for me.

Anth1888

So what are the downsides to the G4. I think this will be my next phone when my contract is up in a month as it seems to tick most of the boxes for me.

I'm in the same place due an upgrade at the start of June. Looking on XDA and various other forums the G4 seems to be great with everyday battery life much better than some reviews. I've got an original Z and just got the lollipop upgrade and the battery life and UI have had a boost due to it and it works perfectly so might stick to a SIM only deal and wait for the new Sony flagship/new Nexus 5. If the price/contract is good enough i might jump to the G4, going into a network shop to see if they've got any in!

The leather will probably cost you more
LG UI
Bigger than the G3
Back buttons (bad or good depending on if you like it or not)
Questionable battery life (reviews seem all over the place)

It's a fine device that I don't think there are many things to complain about.

clav

LG UI
Pointless QHD display
Snapdragon 808 does not beat the Snapdragon 805 (used in Nexus 6 + CDMA Galaxy Note 4) for CPU/GPU benchmarks although 808 has a future proof modem
Tinny sounding mic when recording videos
Headphone audio is inferior to audio in competitors' phones

I may be upgrading to LG G4, but I'm indecisive like many people.

I think the glass backing on the Galaxy S6 is a mistake because that design adds another failure point when the phone drops and cracks. Already seeing reports of people dropping and calling themselves stupid for scratching/slightly cracking the backs of the phones. I prefer Samsung's Galaxy Note 4 build although a glass back for the Galaxy Note 5 wouldn't surprise me.

So first we get the resurfacing of the two nexus phones coming this year rumour and now we have a new one. Google is renewing focus on battery life and RAM in Android M.

This rumor comes in two parts - first, the release timeframes for Android M. According to our information, Google plans to release a developer preview for Android M, just like it did with Lollipop last year.

The final release for M is apparently slated for August. As always, it's worth noting that these release timeframes can change. August is a few months away, so depending on what happens between now and then, the release could get delayed.

Second, M's focus on battery and RAM. According to our information, battery is set to be a big focus in Macadamia Nut Cookie, with Google emphasizing performance and smarter use of features that might drain your battery.

Google is apparently urging its own teams to focus on battery performance by cutting location checkins when possible, trimming down RAM usage, and reducing activity off-charger and when the device's screen is off. Presumably this renewed focus on performance will extend to Google's own Play Services package, which frequently manages to wiggle its way to the top of battery usage stats.

According to our info, Google will discuss these changes at I/O.

This coming from a company that has a known memory leak and hasn't provided a fix for it yet.

/Le Goog

clav

A broken glass back isn't a failure point, just ask any iPhone 4 user. Slap into otterbox and move on.

A plastic back wouldn't have this problem.

Rumored Galaxy S6 Active is a plastic build that doesn't have a fingerprint sensor.

Is Android auto worth considering when buying a vehicle?

I see Toyota isn't in the program.
If you're buying one right now, no.
In a year or 2 when there will be more models on the market with it, certainly.
Because the problem is two-fold, there's only like 2 or 3 models confirmed to have it coming in the coming months.
That would be the Hyundai Sonata, Azera, and Genesis.
VW is said to be announcing their models soon but as far as I can see, no other manufacturers have announced anything beyond a commitment to carrying on some of their unannounced models.

The other issue is that if you buy a car right now,there's no guarantee that you will be able to update.

So long answer short. Buy a car that's best for you, but if you really really want Android Auto, wait some more.

Wreav

Banned
Anyone that would commit to a vehicle simply for the head unit is fucking insane.

Plenty of good aftermarkets out already that support both Android Auto and CarPlay.

Anyone that would commit to a vehicle simply for the head unit is fucking insane.

Plenty of good aftermarkets out already that support both Android Auto and CarPlay.
I'd say the same, honestly but we're right on the edge of Android Auto rolling out. I'd say hold on until more models with it come out and then buy a new car if it's important to you because it's actually pretty good IMO.
Plus, Aftermarket systems don't look as clean or nice nor do they always retain all integration into car systems.

clav

Of course the decision wouldn't be simply for the head unit.

Something to consider for the overall package.

SimleuqiR

2 codenames for the Nexus devices for this year http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ler-and-a-5-7-inch-huawei-code-name-bullhead/

Some rumoured specs too.

The LG Angler (remember, sea creature code names) will have a 5.2-inch screen and a battery in the neighborhood of 2700mAh. The capacity is not completely decided, but neither is the ARM chip. LG is currently planning on a Snapdragon 808 in this device. That's the same hexa-core chip used in the LG G4. Angler would basically be the 2015 Nexus 5 everyone has been begging for.

I sure hope so. No away I'm going to own a huge ass phone.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

I'd say the same, honestly but we're right on the edge of Android Auto rolling out. I'd say hold on until more models with it come out and then buy a new car if it's important to you because it's actually pretty good IMO.
Plus, Aftermarket systems don't look as clean or nice nor do they always retain all integration into car systems.

It's also not as easy to fit an aftermarket receiver in a lot of newer cars now, since they come with stereo systems that are literally part of the front console.

That said, that's a nice bonus from Hyundai. I too wouldn't buy a car right now solely for Auto or CarPlay, but once they're more widespread in the near future, it would definitely be part of my criteria when I'm in the market.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So first we get the resurfacing of the two nexus phones coming this year rumour and now we have a new one. Google is renewing focus on battery life and RAM in Android M.

This coming from a company that has a known memory leak and hasn't provided a fix for it yet.

/Le Goog
LOL

Jigolo

Just got on AP today for the first time and holy crap they are going in today. 2015 really is the year to skip. No me us tablet makes me sad. N10 last another year

Husker86

I agree mostly, but there are new cars out that you cannot replace the head unit with an aftermarket one. Fords with My Ford Touch, for example. The head unit in my Fusion controls things besides music. Heated/AC seats, Climate Control, etc.

It makes me mad.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Galaxy-S6-edge-Iron-Man-Limited-Edition.jpg

With Samsung being an active promoter of Marvel's latest Avengers movie, it's no surprise to see the tech giant releasing some sort of special edition product to sweeten the deal. Why yes, it's an Iron Man limited edition Galaxy S6 Edge with matching red-and-gold color theme! This 64GB device is quite a looker, and the special package even comes with an "arc reactor" wireless charger, but you'll have to make do with Google Now instead of the more entertaining J.A.R.V.I.S. Here's the real bad news, though: right now Samsung is only releasing this phone in South Korea on May 27th, followed by China plus Hong Kong in June, so while you're searching for the earliest flights to Asia, feel free to keep yourselves entertained with the official unboxing video after the break.

unboxing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB6MId15cpo&hd=1

Toki767

Android Auto seemingly requires your phone's internet for everything including Google Maps so I think I'm going to stick to cars that have built in GPS.

Android Auto seemingly requires your phone's internet for everything including Google Maps so I think I'm going to stick to cars that have built in GPS.
You do know It's not like Auto is the only system in there. Theres still a car audio system layer underneath for radio and the like.

Husker86

Signed up for another 3 months with Sling and got the $50 off a Nexus player deal. Kinda excited to try it out (the Fire TV Stick is a bit underpowered, I think). Debating whether to get a controller or not.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just got on AP today for the first time and holy crap they are going in today. 2015 really is the year to skip. No me us tablet makes me sad. N10 last another year
Yep. This N10 will last me half a decade at this rate.

terrier

those nexus 5 2015 rumours sound great, keep same form factor and size if possible (i think nexus 5 is one of the best looking phones ever). If they include finger print scanner , and would make sense if part of Android M , may end being bigger though,
Also bigger battery is a must. I think they will keep it 1080p, QHD is probably (even if still no one really cares) more justified on phablets.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For car integration I'd almost just use a separate phone or small tablet and use that via tethering - find some way to mount it to the dashboard and then keep in the glovebox when not in use. Can be an old android phone you're not using anymore - battery life wouldn't matter so much if it is powered all the time.

Top Bottom