• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Hasney

Can somebody please tell me what the hell are these weird random text messages?
Sprint Galaxy S6 Edge

Installed a new ROM or very recently got the phone? Putting your SIM into a new phone triggers this on some networks and some phones don't process it properly.

Harmen

Meanwhile....
mZpipEX.png

ARGHHHHHHHH!

How come? My Z3 has had 5.0.2. for a while now. Dumb question maybe, but don't all Z3's have the same firmware update worldwide?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I finally got lollipop on my Moto G (1st Gen). It isn't too bad, I like the new features where I am not interrupted from apps for a phone-call. I also like the more seamless integration of the notification bar, it seems to run a bit smoother too.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't know if this is a 5.1.1 issue or just a recent chrome issue or what, but i'm getting unresponsiveness in chrome when browsing gaf threads on my nexus 5 now. It's particularly bad in threads with lots of images. Never was a problem before. They'd load in smoothly. Now the browser won't scroll for a few seconds when trying to load those threads. o_O

*edit* oh looks like this is a lastpass issue with accessibility services... :( crap. I really love the app fill feature, guess I'll have to disable it. Found this video that demonstrates it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B27HjvgufJusbmllRHFwaElCV1U/view
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=81950

Hasney

Shouldn't have setup a Google alert on Moto 360 2. Just had an update defintively stating that there will be a Moto 360 2 announcement this week. Got all excited and it was a no name site.

CheezyMac88

Installed a new ROM or very recently got the phone? Putting your SIM into a new phone triggers this on some networks and some phones don't process it properly.

I haven't flashed any ROM and I got this phone the day it came out. I'm guessing this is something I should call to Sprint support?

Aiii

So not worth it
Shouldn't have setup a Google alert on Moto 360 2. Just had an update defintively stating that there will be a Moto 360 2 announcement this week. Got all excited and it was a no name site.

Was it ibtimes.com?

I hate that site with a passion.

Groof

I don't know if this is a 5.1.1 issue or just a recent chrome issue or what, but i'm getting unresponsiveness in chrome when browsing gaf threads on my nexus 5 now. It's particularly bad in threads with lots of images. Never was a problem before. They'd load in smoothly. Now the browser won't scroll for a few seconds when trying to load those threads. o_O

*edit* oh looks like this is a lastpass issue with accessibility services... :( crap. I really love the app fill feature, guess I'll have to disable it. Found this video that demonstrates it.
Holy shit. Thanks for bringing this up and finding out why. It's been pissing me off for weeks and for some reason I just scoffed it off as Chrome being complete shit as always.
But man, is it worth losing pushbullet for this....

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'd bet the next OT that the new 360 will be announced this week.

New major release to come every year:

During an interview with Fast Company, Google’s Hiroshi Lockheimer confirmed that the company has moved to a “yearly cadence of big releases,” so since they gave us Android L last year, “this year we’ll launch M.” He even took the conversation a step further and said that you “can predict what will happen next year,” which basically means that Android N is coming in 2016.

Google playing catch-up in this regard but it's nice to see. But it also makes the hope for a good nexus device even stronger if there will be updates more often. By the time you get one update the next major release will be around the corner for some of these OEMs lol.

Hasney

I'd rather they didn't make a major release when there's nothing to release. I mean, the last iOS should have been a point release with what it added. But hey, public appearances and all that.

reKon

Banned
Well it's at the point that my Nexus 7 has a completely unusable touch screen because of the multitouch bug. The XDA patch is completely ineffective for me now. Fuck you Asus. Fuck you Google.

Saiyan-Rox

Google playing catch-up in this regard but it's nice to see. But it also makes the hope for a good nexus device even stronger if there will be updates more often. By the time you get one update the next major release will be around the corner for some of these OEMs lol.

OEM's nightmare right there.

OTA for 5.1.1 worldwide is live, just got the link from XDA.

I'd rather they didn't make a major release when there's nothing to release. I mean, the last iOS should have been a point release with what it added. But hey, public appearances and all that.

I don't think that's true at all.

- Big update to imessage app
- Photos app update (keep in mind apple saves these for yearly updates, doesn't do app updates throughout the year unless it's bug fixes generally). Mail app updated as well.
- New interactive notifications
- Update to stock keyboard
- icloud drive
- health shit
- allowing the installation of 3rd party keyboards!
- Updated camera controls
- touch ID APIs for devs

Then there's other shit like siri improvements, spotlight improvements, and lots more smaller stuff and maybe a big thing I missed. iOS7 was a massive shift and ios8 was always going to be more of a maintenance release but that's still a lot of stuff for a release where most stuff was under the hood.

Yearly major releases are good because it forces google to continuously improve/innovate. It'll just suck for OEMs not down with updating fast.

Hasney

A lot of that would be covered by app updates in Android like you said and the 3rd party keyboard support is hilariously bad. That's my point though, it may be that Apple saves them for yearly releases, but I don't want that. Update things when they're ready, don't make a "major" release out of them.

Saiyan-Rox

I don't think that's true at all.

- Big update to imessage app
- Photos app update (keep in mind apple saves these for yearly updates, doesn't do app updates throughout the year unless it's bug fixes generally). Mail app updated as well.
- New interactive notifications
- Update to stock keyboard
- icloud drive
- health shit
- allowing the installation of 3rd party keyboards!
- Updated camera controls
- touch ID APIs for devs

Then there's other shit like siri improvements, spotlight improvements, and lots more smaller stuff and maybe a big thing I missed. iOS7 was a massive shift and ios8 was always going to be more of a maintenance release but that's still a lot of stuff for a release where most stuff was under the hood.

Yearly major releases are good because it forces google to continuously improve/innovate. It'll just suck for OEMs not down with updating fast.

Google do need to work on their update systems though especially when it comes to bug fixing.

Apple shines when it comes to pushing updates and if anything is wrong promptly fixing it.

Wreav

Banned
Samsung giving an interesting stat that their existing batteries are 80% capacity after 500 charge cycles.

nexus2cee_8333f2e9bd98cd5.jpg

No great shock there, but exciting to hear about their new polymer tech.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I'd prefer a tick tock cycle. New features, then refinement.

Husker86

Wait...did you just fix Chrome for me? Holy shit. But man, I love lastpass.

Bboy AJ

Oh wow. I use a bunch of accessibility stuff. Gooble!

So maybe you all can help me. I've been having bad battery life on my Verizon Galaxy S5 ever since lollipop and its still going now. I have disabled apps, deleted Facebook and Messenger, played with screen stuff, power save, and even factory reset to no avail. I've even taken it to The Samsung reps at Best Buy and they told me to try disabling the Nova launcher and still nothing. I am at my wits end with this phone. I don't expect it to be at 80% after a day of use but when I wake up it shouldn't be at 90% after a half hour of just checking my emails really quick. Can anyone offer me some off the wall suggestion that hasn't been said before?

Husker86

Ok, I take back everything bad I said about Chrome.

Having Accessibility services enabled shouldn't make Chrome such shit, so Google has to fix this, but it's nice being able to use Chrome again.

Lastpass developer tested by disabling all processing from the accessibility service except for getting event notifications and the lag still happened, so it's definitely a system issue.

NH Apache

Banned
So maybe you all can help me. I've been having bad battery life on my Verizon Galaxy S5 ever since lollipop and its still going now. I have disabled apps, deleted Facebook and Messenger, played with screen stuff, power save, and even factory reset to no avail. I've even taken it to The Samsung reps at Best Buy and they told me to try disabling the Nova launcher and still nothing. I am at my wits end with this phone. I don't expect it to be at 80% after a day of use but when I wake up it shouldn't be at 90% after a half hour of just checking my emails really quick. Can anyone offer me some off the wall suggestion that hasn't been said before?

What's the usage breakdown? Give us a screenshot of the battery section in settings.

Bboy AJ

Factory reset.

Noema

Anandtech's review of the ZenPhone 2 is up.

On the SoC:

Anandtech said:
ASUS, with the help of Intel, is really pushing the limits of what a smartphone can be when it has to meet such a low price. The ZenFone 2 offers CPU performance that should probably be creating some concern at Qualcomm, Apple, and Samsung. It's very competitive with the silicon that we see in the most expensive flagship phones available, and both ASUS and Intel should be proud. The SoC's GPU performance competitive with the last generation of flagship devices. While that sounds like criticism, the ZenFone 2's GPU performance is actually well ahead of the other devices that compete with it on price. Intel also handles the throttling of their SoC very gracefully, with GPU performance dropping to a point where it can be maintained for long periods of time rather than repeatedly rising and dropping due to the governor always targeting maximum performance.

Camera:

Anandtech said:
The camera performance is very disappointing. I had really hoped that I would have overwhelming praise for the ZenFone 2's camera, as it's a feature that is so often poorly executed, particularly on inexpensive smartphones. Unfortunately, ASUS still has some things to learn when it comes to camera processing, and whatever processing is being done at the ISP level for videos is really not sufficient. I'm hopeful that the issues with JPEG processing can be addressed in future software updates. The camera is clearly capable of taking some good photos, and if ASUS can find somewhere in the middle of their current camera settings and the Optimization off setting then they'll have addressed one of the few major flaws with their device.

Battery Life:

Battery life is certainly not as good as you would expect from a device with a battery of this size. It's surprising to see such a huge gap in battery life between the ZenFone 2 and the OnePlus One which has the same display size and resolution, and nearly the same battery capacity. The lack of PSR and the relatively inefficient display are the biggest cause of the battery drain on the ZenFone 2, and it was very disappointing to discover this during the course of my use and testing. The ZenFone 2 is agonizingly close to being perfect for its price, but the battery life and the camera performance really let it down.

In a nutshell:

• Exceptional CPU performance and competent GPU. x86 has no compatibility issues, either
  • Display is good, with the full sRGB gamut and good color accuracy but it's kinda dim (probably to improve battery life)
  • Camera hardware is decent, with a good sensor, but enormous focus latency and poor postprocessing bring it down
  • Battery life is hampered mostly by the display, which seems very power hungry.

Hasney

Battery life would kill it for me, I'm sure the camera would for some others, but cool they're pushing performance at that price.

Saiyan-Rox

So I flashed that new OTA on my phone but it's listed as the sprint one only on the factory images...

So what build is the worldwide build? wtf are you doing with this phone Google.

If I have the supposed connection for 4G LTE wherever I go for T-Mobile, would it be worth it to spend $100 less over 24 months when it comes to Verizon? I mean, T-Mobile will work well overseas, especially with the Wi-Fi calling and so on. How is T-Mobile's customer service over Verizon's? There is one place I'd be (for a few days at most) that would be Service Partner, and what would the phone connect to if it's Service Partner?

Jigolo

If I have the supposed connection for 4G LTE wherever I go for T-Mobile, would it be worth it to spend $100 less over 24 months when it comes to Verizon? I mean, T-Mobile will work well overseas, especially with the Wi-Fi calling and so on. How is T-Mobile's customer service over Verizon's? There is one place I'd be (for a few days at most) that would be Service Partner, and what would the phone connect to if it's Service Partner?

From what I've read throughout the years T-Mo has had the best customer service among the other wireless carriers. Some food for thought.

On a personal level, I've been with T-Mo for as long as I can remember and I can't ever recall ever having a bad service call the few times I've called. Granted it's only a few times, I never really have any purpose of calling them for other then SIM card changes or something small but they have been helpful when I do need to call.

From what I've read throughout the years T-Mo has had the best customer service among the other wireless carriers. Some food for thought.

On a personal level, I've been with T-Mo for as long as I can remember and I can't ever recall ever having a bad service call the few times I've called. Granted it's only a few times, I never really have any purpose of calling them for other then SIM card changes or something small but they have been helpful when I do need to call.

Does Service Partner/2G work well enough for you though?

I don't know what that is and I rarely ever get 2g service here in South Florida.

Service Partner is where it goes to another provider, basically roaming, since there are no towers of theirs in the area.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html

Check Williamsport, PA 17701.

In that area, it's either 2G or Service Partner. I'd be there 2 or 3 days out of the year.

Verizon is basically the only provider in that area that isn't crap.

EDIT: Just looking now, Wi-Fi calling also has Wi-Fi texting. So that is definitely a plus.

Bboy AJ

Sony's Smarthwatch 3 seems to be getting 5.1.1 now too

Meanwhile not a trace of it hitting the 360 yet
Yep. I side loaded it on my Smartwatch 3 today. The 360 is garbage. Don't talk about it anymore.

Bboy AJ

Every decision Google makes is just backtracking to be like Apple.

Top Bottom