• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Schrade

I am so ready for the damn App Permissions. I had been using AppOpsX and such but it's a bit hacky and not very compatible.

I want to be in control of what an App has access to. Long overdue.

clav

Conflicted on whether I should buy the LG G4 now or after I/O.

Advice?

I have a feeling this year's Nexus will be the LG G4 with a fingerprint sensor.

Advice?

LG nexus rumours say 5.2 inch not 5.5. Who knows about the fingerprint. Huawei one will def have a fingerprint though. Either way, neither are getting announced at IO. I'd say maybe there's a 0.5% chance that happens. Those will come August-November.

Just wait man. Potentially 2 nexus phones to choose from. Moto X leaks seem promising. Note 5 will most likely deliver. I say wait.

LG nexus rumours say 5.2 inch not 5.5. Who knows about the fingerprint. Huawei one will def have a fingerprint though. Either way, neither are getting announced at IO. I'd say maybe there's a 0.5% chance that happens. Those will come August-November.

Just wait man. Potentially 2 nexus phones to choose from. Moto X leaks seem promising. Note 5 will most likely deliver. I say wait.
If Milkdud finally brings fingerprint/biometric support and APIs as one of its main features, I'd hope both phones have fingerprint scanners. Only one having it would definitely be the Google thing to do though.

ctfg23

My Galaxy S4 is pretty much done and I need an upgrade. I want an unlocked phone for $300 or less. Right now my two main considerations are the Zenfone 2 and Xperia Z Ultra. Anything better than these at this pricepoint? I'd prefer a screen size of at least 5.5 in, but would be willing to go smaller for an exceptionally good phone. I have MetroPCS, if that matters.

My Galaxy S4 is pretty much done and I need an upgrade. I want an unlocked phone for $300 or less. Right now my two main considerations are the Zenfone 2 and Xperia Z Ultra. Anything better than these at this pricepoint? I'd prefer a screen size of at least 5.5 in, but would be willing to go smaller for an exceptionally good phone. I have MetroPCS, if that matters.

I would get the Idol Touch 3 over the Zenphone 2 TBH.

clav

Are you not on a plan that makes your monthly price cheaper once off contract?

I pay $50/month + taxes regardless if I'm contract or not on contract for unlimited data + cellular talk.

I don't want to move off it because of the cumbersome process to port numbers and other services don't have decent call blocking features and web integration. Plus the subsidy is nice compared to most plans.

If Milkdud finally brings fingerprint/biometric support and APIs as one of its main features, I'd hope both phones have fingerprint scanners. Only one having it would definitely be the Google thing to do though.
definitely a google thing to do which means it's happening. It would be super funny though of an LG nexus had a fingerprint scanner but not the G4.

clav

Galaxy S3 is still usable. I'm just annoyed with the camera quality in low-light.

Plus no lollipop update nor any stable ROMs exist out there.

definitely a google thing to do which means it's happening. It would be super funny though of an LG nexus had a fingerprint scanner but not the G4.
That it would. I really, really wish they'd have left the fingerprint scanner on the Nexus 6, but just had it disabled until Marmalade. I'm thinking of getting it when it's time to for me to upgrade, but I don't know.

That it would. I really, really wish they'd have left the fingerprint scanner on the Nexus 6, but just had it disabled until Marmalade. I'm thinking of getting it when it's time to for me to upgrade, but I don't know.

I thought it wasn't just an operating system issue. Apple bought the company Motorola was going to use for fingerprint reading on the Nexus 6.

Yeah there's no scanner. Moto guy said they wanted to but apple snatched the best one. But the Huawei one works great now apparently. Samsung one is better too. No excuses.

Huawei nexus will be better than nexus 6 and should have one.

Chromecast competitor from lenovo

http://www.slashgear.com/lenovo-cast-a-puck-shaped-chromecast-competitor-27385440/
I know the it'll be better, but I want them 5.9 inches and stereo speakers. Also OLED, assuming the Huawei has none of those things.

I thought it wasn't just an operating system issue. Apple bought the company Motorola was going to use for fingerprint reading on the Nexus 6.
Oh, wasn't aware of this.

Props to Sony. Fuckkk qhd:

Jonathan Lin, general manager of Sony Mobile Taiwan, recently talked to Focus Taiwan, saying that the company will launch Quad HD smartphones only when it "can make significant improvements in display quality and digital image processing technology." At the moment, Sony doesn't believe that screens of around 5.5 inches can really benefit from Quad HD resolutions.

Husker86

I pay $50/month + taxes regardless if I'm contract or not on contract for unlimited data + cellular talk.

I don't want to move off it because of the cumbersome process to port numbers and other services don't have decent call blocking features and web integration. Plus the subsidy is nice compared to most plans.

Oh, ok, yeah that's a nice deal. I felt the same way as you when I was on traditional contract plans; every month that ticked by after an available upgrade felt like a waste.

Went to Best Buy to check out the 49 in Android TV. The store associate was so annoying it turned me off from wanting the TV.

Hopefully nvidia will announce release for the shield android tv tomorrow.

Please give details. I love hearing retail stories.

Ha! Yeah they are usually pretty good.

This was nothing really that exciting... The sales guys didn't know they had the TV until I showed them the flyer which said it was on display. They then proceeded to have my girlfriend and I follow them up and down the tv department 3 times looking for it. We found it and it wasn't plugged in at all. The guy acted like he knew everything about the tv but had no idea it was actually running android and just yapped nonsense instead of actually allowing me to use the remote. They didn't have any 4k content for it either obviously.

It wasn't that bad. I don't have high expectations for BB but when you drop a grand on a TV you want to have a chance to get a good feel for it. Best Buy certainly didn't allow me to do that.

thespot84

L9Ugcwa.png

tLI3XKJ.png

xQHXTKw.png

96eiupm.png

bVU9GKo.png

OfpzwXf.png
Awful battery this week on my 1G Moto X (screen tint is Twilight). I even minimized screen time today and it was worse than the day before. NPR is a major culprit but there's lots of random processes as suspects. It's seriously the worst app ever - just download and look at it. Now it has a glitch where the stream bar flickers and shows the wrong time. And of course it sucks battery juice for some reason (that started happening before the visual glitch). But I can't live without it :(. Pocketcast doesn't have ME or ATC, which is all I listen to, so I don't know if I can listen to it without the app. Just tell me how to maximize battery with wifi enabled.

Cipherr

I don't think that's true at all.

- Big update to imessage app
- Photos app update (keep in mind apple saves these for yearly updates, doesn't do app updates throughout the year unless it's bug fixes generally). Mail app updated as well.
- New interactive notifications
- Update to stock keyboard
- icloud drive
- health shit
- allowing the installation of 3rd party keyboards!
- Updated camera controls
- touch ID APIs for devs

Then there's other shit like siri improvements, spotlight improvements, and lots more smaller stuff and maybe a big thing I missed. iOS7 was a massive shift and ios8 was always going to be more of a maintenance release but that's still a lot of stuff for a release where most stuff was under the hood.

Nonsense. We literally get updates like that list on Android in between major updates instead of having to wait for them because they have decoupled so much from the OS by this point. Holding them all for a 'point' update as if that makes it better is stupid as hell. I can recall off the top of my head many Hangouts updates, Countless new Google Now cards and voice recognition upgrades, launches of new apps (Keep), Google Drive updates, and even the launching of the Google Keyboard IIRC all done outside of x.0 point releases.

The only thing holding all those updates for a x.x release does is create the appearance of 'big' updates that impress people that don't pay attention to anything that happens in between point releases. But the updates Android does in between I/O's in the last 4 years makes those lists look puny.

Those first two lists represent a sizable and growing part of the OS that can mostly be updated without having to wait on a point release. Im going to be extremely mad if we stop getting frequent updates and improvements to the OS throughout the year so they can save them for their fucking conference; all so their bullet list of updates will be 'longer'. Fuck that corny shit.

tt7n4

Neo Member
Hi guys, i have an iphone 4s and i need to upgrade. Which phone did you recommend. All i need is stabil phne experience. I'm looking sony z3 and htc m8. Thanks.

Props to Sony. Fuckkk qhd:

Jonathan Lin, general manager of Sony Mobile Taiwan, recently talked to Focus Taiwan, saying that the company will launch Quad HD smartphones only when it "can make significant improvements in display quality and digital image processing technology." At the moment, Sony doesn't believe that screens of around 5.5 inches can really benefit from Quad HD resolutions.

But why do they slim down on batteries then, when they cant make significant improvements in battery standby quality and mAh processing technology?

Hasney

I'll admit I've been looking at the smartwatch 3 a lot recently but there's no point in getting one if I have the 360.

If they talk about Android Pay having watch NFC support and you would like that feature and the look of the SS3, then it's worth it. The specs suggest that any Moto 360 or Watch R upgrades are just going to match it, not surpass it.

Saiyan-Rox

If they talk about Android Pay having watch NFC support and you would like that feature and the look of the SS3, then it's worth it. The specs suggest that any Moto 360 or Watch R upgrades are just going to match it, not surpass it.

I can't see it being over here any time soon. Google wallet (app) still isn't available here as of yet and I'd assume it would use that.

Though I still might go grab a SW3 least it wouldn't lag as much as this moto does.

Also the SW3 seems the cheapest one yet has more things in it? Strange that but I'll think I'll just bite the bullet and say bye to this moto 360. Maybe cex will take it off my hands.

Fatalah

Awful battery this week on my 1G Moto X (screen tint is Twilight). I even minimized screen time today and it was worse than the day before. NPR is a major culprit but there's lots of random processes as suspects. It's seriously the worst app ever - just download and look at it. Now it has a glitch where the stream bar flickers and shows the wrong time. And of course it sucks battery juice for some reason (that started happening before the visual glitch). But I can't live without it :(. Pocketcast doesn't have ME or ATC, which is all I listen to, so I don't know if I can listen to it without the app. Just tell me how to maximize battery with wifi enabled.

I've been strugging with my 1G Moto X battery this week too! But I think my FOX Now app was running in the background yesterday. Same kind of drain happens with the FiOS app. I hate apps like that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Advice?

Just pull the trigger now. You've basically been in the wait and see mode for a year now.

At this rate you'll always be in wait and see mode due to the next big thing just on the horizon.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
https://oneplus.net/take-back-neversettle

Take Back #NeverSettle

A band of tech dreamers founded OnePlus with a simple mantra: Never Settle.

Some corporations liked it so much, they decided to use it for themselves.

Let’s show them why you don’t mess with the little guys.

Tweet now and help us take back #NeverSettle from @VerizonWireless!

Are you in?

I..I got nothing this am

Went to Best Buy to check out the 49 in Android TV. The store associate was so annoying it turned me off from wanting the TV.

Hopefully nvidia will announce release for the shield android tv tomorrow.

Yeah, I actually want to get one for my daughter for her birthday, which is next weekend. Hopefully we get some info today.

Top Bottom