• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Mindwipe

"Hey Siri, open Google Maps"

such hard, much walled garden

Yes, it really is actually. And asking Siri to open Google Maps doesn't do anything. Getting navigation data into it is much harder, because being able to change default apps is a really big deal.

Yes, it really is actually. And asking Siri to open Google Maps doesn't do anything. Getting navigation data into it is much harder, because being able to change default apps is a really big deal.

While I agree changing the default app makes things the easiest means possible, if an address is opened in Apple Maps all it takes is a button push to have Apple Maps send that route to Google Maps and have Google Maps open.

Edit: What I'm saying is in Apple Maps there is an option to send your route to any other Map app you want including Waze and G Maps.

But older, lower res screens were *less* power efficient... Not more, lol

While I agree changing the default app makes things the easiest means possible, if an address is opened in Apple Maps all it takes is a button push to have Apple Maps send that route to Google Maps and have Google Maps open.

Edit: What I'm saying is in Apple Maps there is an option to send your route to any other Map app you want including Waze and G Maps.
"it just takes more work "

"it just takes more work "

I agree that for someone who does a lot map usage and wants to use Google Maps that Android provides the simplest solution. Click on an address link or use Ok, Google and you're good to go. Just pointing out on iOS that while the solution isn't as simple or elegant, it isn't a much more time consuming process.

Wreav

Banned

"Hey Siri, open Google Search"

Google opens, tap giant mic button

"Navigate home"

Google Maps opens

I agree that for someone who does a lot map usage and wants to use Google Maps that Android provides the simplest solution. Click on an address link or use Ok, Google and you're good to go. Just pointing out on iOS that while the solution isn't as simple or elegant, it isn't a much more time consuming process.
Like Apple Pay vs Google Wallet right?

Are we really defending Apple not having the ability to set default apps? Like really?

Yeah, seriously. I don't care if it takes 1 tap or a million taps, having every address you click open in Apple Maps is completely useless. Hell, the "send feedback" button on nearly every app is useless if you use Mailbox or GMail or any of the dozens of apps that are superior to the built-in Mail app.

Cheebo

Banned
Are we really defending Apple not having the ability to set default apps? Like really?

Well he said "And asking Siri to open Google Maps doesn't do anything". Which isn't true. You can use dictation to use Google Maps on iOS. You just have to specify google maps.

Not to mention there is no iPhone thread. Android OT seems to basically be Smartphone OT instead.

Yeah, seriously. I don't care if it takes 1 tap or a million taps, having every address you click open in Apple Maps is completely useless. Hell, the "send feedback" button on nearly every app is useless if you use Mailbox or GMail or any of the dozens of apps that are superior to the built-in Mail app.

Pointing out a solution to a problem isn't a defense of not having the ability to set default apps. It should be there, no question. I don't see how that would be any different than if someone asked about backing up texts on Android and I pointed them to SMS Backup & Restore. I wouldn't be defending the lack of built in back up, just offering a solution for someone looking for one. I guess I'll refrain for offering workarounds in the future. :/

Not to mention there is no iPhone thread. Android OT seems to basically be Smartphone OT instead.

Except that the Windows Phone thread is the better Android thread. At least you can have discussions there without the loads of bullshit that is going on here.

Pointing out a solution to a problem isn't a defense of not having the ability to set default apps. It should be there, no question. I don't see how that would be any different than if someone asked about backing up texts on Android and I pointed them to SMS Backup & Restore. I wouldn't be defending the lack of built in back up, just offering a solution for someone looking for one. I guess I'll refrain for offering workarounds in the future. :/

That wasn't a shot at you offering a workaround. I don't think anyone was really asking for a workaround in the first place...

Except that the Windows Phone thread is the better Android thread. At least you can have discussions there without the loads of bullshit that is going on here.

It's too depressing in there. Half the posts are self-deprecating posts about the sad state of Windows Phone, lmao.

on some ANDROID news, Zenfone 2 will be released in April for the US

GSMArena said:
A detailed availability roadmap has also been revealed. The Zenfone 2 will first arrive in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, China, and surprisingly France, in March. Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, Italy and the US will follow suit in April, while Japanese folks may get it in May. Brazilians will need to be even more patient and wait until June.

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_to_rel...atek_versions_of_the_zenfone_2-news-11187.php

It's too depressing in there. Half the posts are self-deprecating posts about the sad state of Windows Phone, lmao.

Yeah, but you can still have a good discussion about the OS (at least until my next meltdown) and other operating systems there. And no spammy reflex posters.

Mindwipe

"Hey Siri, open Google Search"

Google opens, tap giant mic button

"Navigate home"

Google Maps opens

Great, unless I don't want to go to my home or workplace. Which I probably don't, because I know where they are already.

If I want to go to someone's house, then Google doesn't have access to the iOS address book and everything will fail.

Wreav

Banned
Yeah, but you can still have a good discussion about the OS (at least until my next meltdown) and other operating systems there. And no spammy reflex posters.
This thread's jank is equal to your phone's. There is a balance to the world.

Great, unless I don't want to go to my home or workplace. Which I probably don't, because I know where they are already.

If I want to go to someone's house, then Google doesn't have access to the iOS address book and everything will fail.

If you aren't storing your contacts in Google, even on iOS, you are broken.

Cheebo

Banned

If you are that integrated into Google I am sure you use Google contacts which Google Search can access and navigate to. Literally everyone I know with iPhones stores contacts in Google.

A desire to use google maps as your default search on iOS and the google search voice app but NOT having your contacts setup in your google contacts that gmail, hangouts, etc access is a kind of a bizarre strawman.

If you are that integrated into Google I am sure you use Google contacts which Google Search can access and navigate to. Literally everyone I know with iPhones stores contacts in Google.

A desire to use google maps as your default search on iOS and the google search voice app but NOT having your contacts setup in your google contacts that gmail, hangouts, etc access is a kind of a bizarre strawman.

Eh? I've never setup Google contacts when I was on iPhone or on Android. Also how would you suddenly switch to Waze during traffic hours? For me, whenever I navigate to an address, I can choose if I want Google Maps for Waze. I always have to jump through hoops to go to the app I want on iOS.

Eh? I've never setup Google contacts when I was on iPhone or on Android. Also how would you suddenly switch to Waze during traffic hours? For me, whenever I navigate to an address, I can choose if I want Google Maps for Waze. I always have to jump through hoops to go to the app I want on iOS.

At the risk of sounding like I'm defending the lack of default apps on iOS (which I'm not defending), the way it works is that you open an address in Apple Maps and within Apple Maps there is an option to send that address to any other Map app you have installed. So if you want Waze, you click the button to send to Waze if you want Google Maps you press the button for Google Maps. It then sends the route to that app and opens the app with route entered into it.

Noema

For the memory problems. You're not alone, but I have no idea if they fixed it with L. Some people on reddit report that it has been fixed, and other say it hasn't changed at all.

I've been running 5.0.1 on my 2013 Moto G for a bit over a month (GPE ROM) now and it runs better than 4.4.4, but don't expect miracles. It's slimmer than Kit Kat and because of ART, apps in general use up less memory for sure.

However, the launcher has to reload pretty much all the time and multitasking isn't quite buttery smooth, what with apps getting flushed off memory all the time. ART helps a bit and everything loads up faster, though.

The bottom line is, 1GB of RAM is not enough for a smooth Android experience, no software update is going to fix that.

Cheebo

Banned
A lot of people who aren't active iOS users still think of iOS in the pre-iOS 7/8 mindset when it comes to third party app integration. While there is no default app settings (which there should be, and if they go another year without it that would be absurd) it is about a million times better and easier to use third party apps by default and via voice than it was just 2 years ago. It is no android at all but it's a lot better than iOS used to be. But honestly if you are heavily into the Google ecosystem you should be using Android anyway, even if iOS adds default app options.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah whatever you say. The Note 4 has excellent battery life. It has better battery life than phones WITH 1080p displays. I'm just going to laugh at you when waves of smartphones start using 1440p.

Plus you shouldn't try to embarrass other posters while using a broken link.

Dudes fucking clueless what do you expect.

Half the posters in here just talk out of their ass so much so that they make Oserious look like a genius.

Coming from me that's saying something.

Wreav

Banned
But honestly if you are heavily into the Google ecosystem you should be using Android anyway, even if iOS adds default app options.

Totally disagree. Many of Googy's apps have always been best on iOS for some weird fucking reason. Maps was GOAT on iOS long before Android, and Hangouts is still king over here.

Not sure why iOS never got a Keep app, though, but the web version is good enough for now.

But what if Samsung was a girl?

zoe-quinn-ugly.jpg

Thinks she hip, but in reality has no mirror in her house to see she's a hot mess.

Half the posters in here just talk out of their ass so much so that they make Oserious look like a genius.

I'm clueless on the basis of what? Half the posters in here? Who else?

fuck outta here w/ this passive aggressive shit. You've contributed absolutely nothing to the conversation other than a cute dancing goalpost which was irrelevant as it had nothing to do with my original post.

Enough for how long? Might as well stay at 1080p for the rest of our lives then

It will be enough until we develop supervision or something. So, 1080p is good enoough for the next 400,000 years or so maybe. We might even need to downgrade to 720p depending on our evolutionary trajectory :eek:

So you've seen the new Touchwiz then?

Bro, I've had a Galaxy S in 2011. Touchwiz and its design philosophy is the exact same. It's irrational to expect a major overhaul.

"Hey Siri, open Google Maps"

such hard, much walled garden

No one should be talking to/at their phone in public. It's uncivilized.

Gwanatu T

but touchwiz is though

You know what I would, but between the Chance of getting a yellow screen, and the apparent lack of support should I receive a yellow screen, it's a hard sell.

Really? There hasn't been a yellow screen "issue" since the first batch of the phones. All the initial problems have been ironed out many, many months ago.

The sad state of flagships (spec bumps wohoo) and a botched lollipop release is what makes this thread go places really...

Time for Asus and Xiaomi to stir shit up in the west
at least in the pricing segment

Thinks she hip, but in reality has no mirror in her house to see she's a hot mess.

Samsung personified is like that guy who is trying so hard to be your friend and doing a lot of the superficial things right but when it comes down to personality....just gahh. Some stuff you like and some of it is straight ugly and scary and annoying.

personality = touchwiz.

HTC is like that guy that really let you down but has been working so hard to change his/her image that you can't help but respect how far they've come. Like someone who became a junky and is now a great person living a good life and is ahead of the 8-ball.

Motorola has become that super dependable guy you know that isn't perfect but you can still rely on and even excels in some places.

LG is like that guy that sees that Samsung guy trying so hard and tries to do the same but does a slightly better job at it but it's still kind of urksome here and there.

Sony is like that great guy you knew in highschool that couldn't afford to go to school anymore and had to move back to his home country and be with his family and he just lives in your memory.

I'm bored at work.

edit: Oh and google is that autistic person you know. Or maybe they're just someone with ADD.

Gwanatu T

The sad state of flagships (spec bumps wohoo) and a botched lollipop release is what makes this thread go places really...

Time for Asus and Xiaomi to stir shit up in the west
at least in the pricing segment

Xiaomi's stuff sucks ass. MIUI is hot garbage and is missing so much it's not even funny. Asus has a track record of shitty products that they don't support past launch. I've reviewed plenty of both of these company's products and they are mostly nothing to write home about.

Also what's the beef with Lollipop? The only issues I have are CM12 related, my wife has no problems on stock AOSP on her Nexus 4.

Also what's the beef with Lollipop? The only issues I have are CM12 related, my wife has no problems on stock AOSP on her Nexus 4.
meh the main problem with lollipop aside from the things we know aren't right is that it seems to have a very YMMV vibe to it. We'll see 5.1 though. Nexus 9s are perfect examples. I'm enjoying mine but good lord almighty does it run like shit.

As long as phone manufacturers don't fall into the trap of trying to beat Chinese manufacturers at their own game, then they have nothing to fear. Of course, that's not going to happen. The Android price wars will be interesting to see meanwhile Apple continues to sell boatloads of phones at $900.

Hasney

meh the main problem with lollipop aside from the things we know aren't right is that it seems to have a very YMMV vibe to it. We'll see 5.1 though. Nexus 9s are perfect examples. I'm enjoying mine but good lord almighty does it run like shit.

It's shit on that and Nexus 6 because of encryption. Really hoping they sort that out.

Gwanatu T

That's not a Lollipop issue, that's a Tegra issue. This has been the main complaint about every single Tegra chip since the beginning of the series, which is incredibly unfortunate given how well they perform in games and the like.

Really? There hasn't been a yellow screen "issue" since the first batch of the phones. All the initial problems have been ironed out many, many months ago.

I'm excited for this and the Zenfone Zoom, just not sure I trust Asus to ever get any kind of updates out for their devices...ever.

If that's the case then it's definitely a phone I'm interested in until these 810's drop, but I haven't been able to find any definitive evidence that it's been fixed.

Gwanatu T

If that's the case then it's definitely a phone I'm interested in until these 810's drop, but I haven't been able to find any definitive evidence that it's been fixed.

If it makes you feel better I've had mine since last June and I've never suffered from the yellow screen issue.

Are you just saying this because I have called you out for being an idiot so many times?

Thanks. That's nice of you.

Top Bottom