• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I don't care which way I scroll through apps but the new layout is super weird. Guarantee you they backtrack on it.

Who the fuck thought this looked ok?

wpQzG2X.png

I swear sometimes I think they just don't test shit. This is like volume controls all over again. They'll go back on it or change it a lot next update.

Saiyan-Rox

Well it is a preview. some things will hopefully change cause that look doesn't scream quality to me.

Can you guys hook your phones to the computer btw with the phone on? my PC wonl't detect mine so I can't put files on the phone.

I personally don't like the vertically scrolling app drawer, but I'm not seeing the problem with the layout. Search at the top, then most recently used apps, then everything else alphabetically.

And the external storage flip flop most likely has more to do with Google's focus on emerging markets than Windows Phone. Plus, the way they're handling external storage is more secure than it was previously in Android.

Edit: Not to mention it's a developer preview, and a number of things are likely to change just like going from L preview to Lollipop.

I personally don't like the vertically scrolling app drawer, but I'm not seeing the problem with the layout. Search at the top, then most recently used apps, then everything else alphabetically.

And the external storage flip flop most likely has more to do with Google's focus on emerging markets than Windows Phone.
it's just a bit pointless. It already organized things alphabetically. You don't need to show huge ass letters. Make the letters smaller. Also the top row of apps can hold more apps than the rest of the drawer. Just weird design. This pic shows that:

DjULJBf.png

it's just a bit pointless. It already organized things alphabetically. You don't need to show huge ass letters. Make the letters smaller. Also the top row of apps can hold more apps than the rest of the drawer. Just weird design. This pic shows that:

DjULJBf.png
I agree that they should either shrink or get rid of the letters, but I'm fine with the carousel of most recently used apps at the top. Hopefully they give the option to choose between vertical and horizontal for those who use the Google launcher. I'll be sticking to Nova.

ukas

DjULJBf.png

My N9 doesn't have the letters. Weird.

I agree that they should either shrink or get rid of the letters, but I'm fine with the carousel of most recently used apps at the top. Hopefully they give the option to choose between vertical and horizontal for those who use the Google launcher. I'll be sticking to Nova.
I don't mind the apps at the top row I just find it weird that it has 4 apps and then the rest are rows of 3 :|

New photos app is good though. Transitions are great. Gesture selection is sick. Get Link is pretty awesome.

I don't mind the apps at the top row I just find it weird that it has 4 apps and then the rest are rows of 3 :|

New photos app is good though. Transitions are great. Gesture selection is sick. Get Link is pretty awesome.
You're right, it does look odd. And I'm wrong about the carousel. I thought the green line on the right was the edge of another app, but it's the scroll indicator. So yeah, hopefully it'll be improved come full release.

Furyous

iVerge wants an LG Nexus with USB C.

Vlad is right and we need a stock android, fingerprint sensor, external storage, microsd card slot, and 1080p LG Nexus. What processor would this mythical Nexus use? *Pre-emptive scust at an S808/S810* My hands feel dirty touching an S810 that performs at times worse than an S801. This is the same reason I refuse to touch the M9/Z3+.

Vlad is right and we need a stock android, fingerprint sensor, external storage, microsd card slot, and 1080p LG Nexus. What processor would this mythical Nexus use? *Pre-emptive scust at an S808/S810* My hands feel dirty touching an S810 that performs at times worse than an S801. This is the same reason I refuse to touch the M9/Z3+.
I don't give a fuck about sd cards but I agree with all that. Hopefully this will be the LG nexus this year.

Sch1sm

Hm. I'm gonna go up to the preview for M on my N5 in a bit, if I ever figure out this issue.

So my Windows laptop is currently in need of an HDD
so I'm using my Mac to flash it and God, what an annoying experience. SDK tools keeps pulling this, "Needs Java Runtime." I have Java Runtime Environment, though, the latest one. Anyone have experience with this?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hm. I'm gonna go up to the preview for M on my N5 in a bit, if I ever figure out this issue.

So my Windows laptop is currently in need of an HDD
so I'm using my Mac to flash it and God, what an annoying experience. SDK tools keeps pulling this, "Needs Java Runtime." I have Java Runtime Environment, though, the latest one. Anyone have experience with this?

ADB on OSX runs like a dream compared to Windows. No, I don't have that problem.

3phemeral

Going through photos, the amount of categories they have is interesting. It's been able to correctly detect:

• Graduation
  • Zoo
  • Nebulas
  • Bowling
  • Skylines
  • Moon
  • Aquarium
  • Lakes
  • Reefs
  • Rainbows
  • Bridges
I just want to figure out how to correct incorrectly tagged photos.

Amazingly, Photos was able to spot the frog in this photo:

Sch1sm

ADB on OSX runs like a dream compared to Windows. No, I don't have that problem.

Get out. I've never had an issue with Windows. You're just some backward case.

I figured it out, no thanks to you. Developer Java.

Google Now launcher now lets you uninstall apps from the homescreen:

I used info once. On Google Play Music to force stop it because the god damn notification wasn't leaving after I closed the app. This is infinitely more useful.

3phemeral

This is great.

That blue bar means Smart Lock is signing me in automatically. Even though my Netflix account has no formal tie to my Google one, the fact that Smart Lock stored it and the app has included support for the API means I get this seamless integration. You can recreate this experience on Orbitz, Instacart, The New York Times, and Eventbrite. Beyond apps, this feature plays well with Chrome's existing password manager and will help with Chrome sign-ins as well.

No, this is amazing.

jwk94

I don't care which way I scroll through apps but the new layout is super weird. Guarantee you they backtrack on it.

Who the fuck thought this looked ok?

wpQzG2X.png

I swear sometimes I think they just don't test shit. This is like volume controls all over again. They'll go back on it or change it a lot next update.

It kinda looks like what Aviate's doing but Aviate does it better.

As for that LG Nexus the Verge wants, that would be perfect. Make it on Verizon and I would be there no matter the price.

yep, i remember when someone made a stock Android phone with all the bells and whistles... but people didn't actually buy the GPE Galaxy...

Quasar

I would argue that they're almost not comparable. The shield costs $200

Though its a TV STB that has specs that I'd want from such a thing. At least in theory. I'm waiting to hear how its features such as surround passthrough actually work. Ditto LAN based 4k content.

Certainly I'd buy one if Plex on it passes through lossless surround formats and plays everything properly without transcoding. Hell...I might even sideload Kodi if it handles all the formats properly.

About my only gripe then would be the lack of iTunes video store access. Of course if Google stepped up with play that would be less of an issue.

Though its a TV STB that has specs that I'd want from such a thing. At least in theory. I'm waiting to hear how its features such as surround passthrough actually work. Ditto LAN based 4k content.

Certainly I'd buy one if Plex on it passes through lossless surround formats and plays everything properly without transcoding. Hell...I might even sideload Kodi if it handles all the formats properly.

About my only gripe then would be the lack of iTunes video store access. Of course if Google stepped up with play that would be less of an issue.

No lossless audio bitstream.

Wreav

Banned
OK Google from everywhere working again on the S6/Edge. Of course it was a Googy server side issue, eat crow all you idiots at Android Police who were arguing with me that it was DA EVIL SAMMY.

Well then, the one thing keeping me from using Inbox full stop has been rectified. Now you can swipe to delete instead of archive, and they pulled the trash button out of the overflow menu. No more annoying extra taps.

Figured I'd post this here too for the unaware, as it's not immediately obvious:

For anyone using the new Photos app, you can also zoom in and out with one finger like in Google Maps, Chrome and some other Google apps by double tapping and dragging in white/empty space.

3phemeral

Figured I'd post this here too for the unaware, as it's not immediately obvious:

For anyone using the new Photos app, you can also zoom in and out with one finger like in Google Maps, Chrome and some other Google apps by double tapping and dragging in white/empty space.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm loving the drag-select feature. Going to be super easy to delete photos en masse now.

Rur0ni

Fuck.

There really is no hope for a STB that does this is there.

EDIT: Reading the anandtech review I guess there is a slim hope with the mention of a 'codec pack'.
Yeah I was disappointed to read that, but maybe the codec pack will seal the deal.

So what about old Auto Backup Photos uploaded below 16mp, but in original size and above the old limit (2048px), will Google free that used up space, or do I have to reupload everything again?

NotBacon

What's going on with Photos? Why is everyone so excited? Did they release a new app? Are they updating the current one? I've already been backing up with the Google Photos app for months now....

Edit: Update wasn't showing up....... but then it did. Updated now and wow this is nice. That searching is fantastic.

Get out. I've never had an issue with Windows. You're just some backward case.

Sorry but developing Android apps is ass on Windows.
Adb constantly hangs, the driver situation is a pain, powershell <<<<<< bash, etc.

Linux is king.
(OSX is the prince.)

Okay, this is probably a really dumb question but I cannot figure out the answer. I have a Nexus 6. Whenever I save a photo from a text message, it says "Photo Saved to Messenger Album," but I can't find this photo in the Photo app. Where the heck is it? I have the new Photo app, if that matters.

EDIT: Durr, I always find the answer right after I ask for help. I have to select the Menu option in the Photos app and then elect Device Folders. Yep, I'm dumb.

Hasney

Getting slight audio/video desync in YouTube on M. Only noticeable if people are on camera and talking, but it's slightly offputting.

terrier

so while last year android L was a megaton this year news are not as big but once you tie them (and considering they deliver) everything seems to be awesome: photos separated from G+ and unlimited storage up to 16M (even with some compression but way better than before), offline Maps navigation, lots of small improvements on M , including a clone of stamina mode from Xperia phones (Doze they call it?) that should make standby time great for all devices (which is the main issue in android regarding battery life drain) etc etc....

Now just wondering what should i do with Photos, reupload all them again is a bit painful but probably worth the effort. Just hoping the app doesn't kill battery life like G+

Top Bottom