• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Drifters

Probably the most thing I'm excited about.... is that sad?

That said, I/O thus far is interesting... few highlights....
1) Android M is not Lollipop, Google apparently (only slightly) knows there is real salt with Lollipop, M looks to fix that.
2) Wear is still beta.
3) Pay is legit and will probably take on Apple Pay quite well w/ Debit Card integration.
4) Cardboard.... is a joke.
5) Photos... I've left behind any idea that Google would not molest my picture files a long time ago and use OneDrive for that. (MS's gallery and sharing is quite easy as well)
6) Loon is real and will be a game changer. A friend of mine in Africa doing some NGO work is actually petitioning to get it there ASAP due to the shitty infrastructure there.
7) Google Now gonna Google Now--- Love that shit.
8) Developers, API's and Betas.. oh my. While I'm sure Andrex is shitting a brick at all the cool stuff, Google seems to not be forging any "new" ground as they realize they have a trainwreck of fixes that are needed for their platform. Shocked there hasn't been any talk about new ChromeOS or Android / ChromeOS merger. I also wonder if Google is less than thrilled (although, more people using Android apps) with W10 getting apps ported to Windows ecosystem; I somewhat wonder if there is back channeling happening on that we're not hearing about.

Lastly, Material Design. Love it, hate it, it is here to stay. M seems to bring a lot of new fixes to the table, but who knows if it will fix the fragments of OS versions and also... no talk from manufactures on what phones are going to be lined up for getting M later this year.

Weird Photos bug makes my photos unorganised.

If I scroll through photos regularly the months and days are ok, but when I zoom out to month vie and immediately in again, I get for example pictures from january 2013 in september 2014, and it stays this way until I reopen the app.

ana

Oh yeah.. My LG G4 is in the mail.. just got the tracking number...
But it'll arrive on monday... or tuesday.. :-/
(I'm in Finland)

iVerge wants an LG Nexus with USB C.

Vlad is right and we need a stock android, fingerprint sensor, external storage, microsd card slot, and 1080p LG Nexus. What processor would this mythical Nexus use? *Pre-emptive scust at an S808/S810* My hands feel dirty touching an S810 that performs at times worse than an S801. This is the same reason I refuse to touch the M9/Z3+.

Maybe an 820, with Kyro cores?

That or the deca-core Mediatek X20.

Hasney

Android M on the nexus 6 flies its really awesome.

On the nexus 9 on the other hand it's worse than 5.0. The lag is insane.

Has the Nexus 9 got that multi-window switch?

EDIT: I haven't changed anything from 5.1 and just let the restore do its thing and restore all my old apps, but battery life really has made a step up in comparison.

Saiyan-Rox

Has the Nexus 9 got that multi-window switch?

EDIT: I haven't changed anything from 5.1 and just let the restore do its thing and restore all my old apps, but battery life really has made a step up in comparison.

I actually didnt check but the last I heard was mutliwindow was in internal builds but not our ones.

Just had a bug with the N6 though where sound wasn't playing anymore at all, had to do a restart to get it working.

Just noticed the icons on the lock screen is no longer a dialer and you need to swipe from the icons across now and now just anywhere.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
M is great and exactly what we needed. I hope we get another year of refinement, in fact. I don't need anything new, afaik. Multi-window is it.

Hasney

I've been using Chrome quite a bit and I have my usual spotty 4G signal at work.... But I have a day and a half battery left according to the monitor.

I don't trust M's reporting yet. That's far too good.

kinggroin

Banned
M is great and exactly what we needed. I hope we get another year of refinement, in fact. I don't need anything new, afaik. Multi-window is it.

This guy. He gets it.

there's a good foundation laid out here for a nice operating system. Google needs to refine it all.

3phemeral

Yeah, definitely in agreement that M is what L should have been. Now let's hope the rollouts are smooth and bug free.
Gogol plz.

Hasney

Battery monitor isn't working, everythings just grouped up into System UI. The battery % is ticking down slow enough to make me believe that there still may be a significant increase in battery life still though, will leave it overnight and see.

A major release every year doesn't mean new features and shit every year. It could be a lot of bug fixes and refinement over existing stuff. M looks pretty decent so far.

Now I just have my eyes set on the nexus phones. Cmon LG. I can pretty much picture in my head how the huawei one will be but if there really is an LG one I really hope it's the nexus 5 redux better edition.

Even google knows nexus 5 was the best. They keep showing it in some demos. Nexus 5 is supported for dev preview but not nexus 7 even though they're same gen aren't they? But nex5 was so popular compared to the other nexus devices.

I'm pretty much just worried about the fingerprint scanner not being there. I think the LG one will be the lower priced 1080p smaller phone which is great. I don't see the scanner though. Guess we'll see.

This is a pretty huge update. I don't know how you could only call it decent

App permissions are good but I feel they should have done this a while ago. Doze is good I guess. I hope it improves standby time but I'll see. Finger Print APIs are good but I've been doing that on my iphone for a while but I realize it's big for android. My excitement for this directly ties to the next nexus devices so that's a wait and see lol.

I do like the photos update, that's a big one which will hopefully cause other companies to do the same storage wise. It's a big one for android. But for me personally a lot of it is a wait and see. Especially stuff like Android Pay.

reKon

Banned
App permissions are good but I feel they should have done this a while ago. Doze is good I guess. I hope it improves standby time but I'll see. Finger Print APIs are good but I've been doing that on my iphone for a while but I realize it's big for android. My excitement for this directly ties to the next nexus devices so that's a wait and see lol.

I do like the photos update, that's a big one which will hopefully cause other companies to do the same storage wise. It's a big one for android. But for me personally a lot of it is a wait and see. Especially stuff like Android Pay.

- Auto app backup will be huge because of things like game saves.

- Multiwindow support coming

- Offline search and turn by turn Nav for Google Maps

- Google Now tap is brilliant (look at the demo video from Engadget)

- External storage that be seen as internal for SD cards

If the bug fixes and refinements are there, that will be a good look as well. This is a big update..

- Auto app backup will be huge because of things like game saves.

- Multiwindow support coming

- Offline search and turn by turn Nav for Google Maps

- Google Now tap is brilliant (look at the demo video from Engadget)

- External storage that be seen as internal for SD cards

If the bug fixes and refinements are there, that will be a good look as well. This is a big update..

I don't play a lot of mobile games :( Just the occasional shitty casual f2p one during subway rides...sometimes. lol. Multi window isn't here yet though. Now tap looks cool I guess. I'll have to try it out and see if it's something I use often. SD cards don't interest me.

Offline turn by turn is dope though.

I don't play a lot of mobile games :( Just the occasional shitty casual f2p one during subway rides...sometimes. lol. Multi window isn't here yet though. Now tap looks cool I guess. I'll have to try it out and see if it's something I use often. SD cards don't interest me.

Offline turn by turn is dope though.

Yeah, not really all that excited either. Now tap is the only thing that really interests me but being in Canada, it'll probably be just as useless as Google now.

Talon

RIP Samsung Pay...if we get more than 10% on M by end of year
CGLNFeYWUAA9r-T.png:large

So I've been tinkering with Photos and was wondering if anyone had some pointers for these nitpicks I have:

1) I have photos I take with my camera on my phone and a separate folder that I usually download gifs and such for use in Hangouts. I only want Photos to see my camera folder; any way to filter where it is sourcing pictures from in the app? I know there is a way to limit which folders get uploaded to the cloud, so I only have my camera photos being backed-up.

2) On photos.google.com, it seems like all those said gifs/meme things I've shared in Hangouts have been added to my photos.google.com album. Anyway I can filter those out?

I principally just want to use Photos for just camera stuff. When I search for "dog," I only want to see photos of my dog and not all the stupid "doge" memes I shared a year ago...

RIP Samsung Pay...if we get more than 10% on M by end of year

Lol, I bet M doesn't even hit 10% until Fall 2016. What's Lollipop at now? 5%?

So I've been tinkering with Photos and was wondering if anyone had some pointers for these nitpicks I have:

2) On photos.google.com, it seems like all those said gifs/meme things I've shared in Hangouts have been added to my photos.google.com album. Anyway I can filter those out?

I principally just want to use Photos for just camera stuff. When I search for "dog," I only want to see photos of my dog and not all the stupid "doge" memes I shared a year ago...

Nope. Have fun going through years of images to delete your hangouts pictures.

wilflare

what's a fast way to clear out Photos so I can reupload everything?

my Note3 is getting kinda sluggish... thinking of doing a clean wipe of everything intSD and extSD

I got TiBu and did that Backup all User Apps + System Data
anything else I should take note of?

---
I'm excited for Android M... but my Note3 isn't even on Lollipop...

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm excited for Android M... but my Note3 isn't even on Lollipop...

Yeah, if you want an Android phone that gets updated regularly and swiftly, you probably should stay clear of Samsung from now on. It's one of the main reasons I'll never buy another Samsung phone ever again.

Talon

Wow. Do you have a link?
Benedict Evans sent it out.
http://blog.starpointllp.com/blog/?p=4189

Also interesting:
Side Story… The Banks hate the Apple Pay deal (NEVER AGAIN).. My friends in mountain view take a meeting with a large bank on AndroidPay “You guys can forget about the Apple Pay deal, it will never happen again, lets start the conversation on what you will PAY for the privilege of having my card in your wallet.” The Visa VDEP program (and MA’s equiv) addressed this issue. Google did not get the 15bps.. and the Issuers got nothing (exclusivity, revenue, … ). Per VDEP, If you use the network’s token facilities you can’t discriminate… Cards will be permissioned to any approved wallet. There is also a new iron fence around payment data use.. A VERY VERY big step.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Benedict Evans sent it out.
http://blog.starpointllp.com/blog/?p=4189

Also interesting:

How does Apple always burn these companies time and time again? They must be idiots to continually cry about it after the fact. If I were a competing company, they can work with me along the Apple deal or go to hell. They have no power when they've already ceded it to Apple.

Yeah, if you want an Android phone that gets updated regularly and swiftly, you probably should stay clear of Samsung from now on. It's one of the main reasons I'll never buy another Samsung phone ever again.

Exactly. If you people want the latest OS, get a Nexus. You spend 90% of the year trumpeting your better battery life, camera, etc. Great. You made that choice. But it comes with the disadvantage of waiting for the latest OS update. If you're not OK with that, should have got a Nexus. Tough.

Sch1sm

Sorry but developing Android apps is ass on Windows.
Adb constantly hangs, the driver situation is a pain, powershell <<<<<< bash, etc.

Linux is king.
(OSX is the prince.)

Notice how used a personal pronoun there, because it's an opinion. Oh.
smh.

wilflare

yea I'm liking the Samsung hardware though but oh well... contract is due later this year... shall see how it goes :/

hmmm - is there a quick way to re-upload everything for Photos?

OneDrive is pretty much unlimited too right? except for that 4GB limit per file

Husker86

OK Google from everywhere working again on the S6/Edge. Of course it was a Googy server side issue, eat crow all you idiots at Android Police who were arguing with me that it was DA EVIL SAMMY.

How? The only option I have in Google Now settings for OK Google detection is "From the Google App".

Hasney

You guys had any apps that haven't worked/aren't compatible?

I haven't. Only used Twitter, My Fitness Pal, Hearthstone, XCOM and SwiftKey 3rd party wise though.

Think Groof was complaining about something not working. Something called Flexy?

Top Bottom