• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Why is it that another Gaffer saw a major performance improvement?

We did with 5.1.1 but its TERRIBLE on M.
Hopefully the performance imporovents from the 5.1.1 release will get merged into the June M release.

10 hours of standby and I lost 2 percent. Still not iOS level.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Come, my Nexus 9 children. Kneel before me and repent to the Nexus 10 I hold.

mturco

I have not noticed worsened performance on M on my N9. Seems the same to me (which isn't particularly good anyway). Standby battery life does seem better though.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Something else I've noticed about the G4 vs the S6 - the S6 omits the cover art on the lock screen when play music is playing music

Also, the transition animations are present in the Play Store on the G4 and omitted on the S6.

It's like Samsung cut some corners to decrease ram usage and LG just went all out

Come, my Nexus 9 children. Kneel before me and repent to the Nexus 10 I hold.

Most of us are talking about M performance which your tablet will never even get (officially). You will be Kneeling before us.

I have not noticed worsened performance on M on my N9. Seems the same to me (which isn't particularly good anyway). Standby battery life does seem better though.

And this was 5.1.1 to M? If so youre drunk. M is borderline unusable on the 9 and 5.1.1 was very good overall

clav

Something else I've noticed about the G4 vs the S6 - the S6 omits the cover art on the lock screen when play music is playing music

Also, the transition animations are present in the Play Store on the G4 and omitted on the S6.

It's like Samsung cut some corners to decrease ram usage and LG just went all out

Samsung's problems will likely be fixed with the 5.1.1 upgrade.

Tests show obvious RAM problems in 5.0.

https://youtu.be/x5mRrAkCiV8

Watch for the twist after the middle of the test.

Saiyan-Rox

Doesn't appear to be any less stable on mine.

the RAM is all of the show on mine and i've had total lock ups/black screen showing too while I wait for it to close whatever is in the background.

I couldn't even have the browser with 2 tabs and twitter running in the background. also the whole tablet shit itself trying to play a youtube video in browser on here.

This is the damage on my N6 today only left the house for a bit with a little Gmaps but no web browsing no podcasts or anything just sms

IXq5IaK.png

NotBacon

This is the damage on my N6 today only left the house for a bit with a little Gmaps but no web browsing no podcasts or anything just sms

IXq5IaK.png

Weird considering GPs is 2nd on the list and pretty far behind screen, which is normal.

Contemplating flashing this!......................................... okay done contemplating. I'll wait 'til preview 2.

Saiyan-Rox

Just had the smart password feature pop up on my N9 running 5.1.1 thought it was an android M thing but it was pretty damn awesome. Auto signed me into Netflix. If that works for every app then crack flashers like me are gonna be real happy.

Oh wait ignore that battery stats xD I totally forgot I had a video call on Skype for like 40 mins earlier. #Idiot

Has it been stated when Verizon is supposed to release 5.1 for the S5? Most sites say it has been already but anytime I check I'm up to date with 5.0. I ordered a new battery for my phone when Verizon was very unhelpful and were going to charge me for it although I'm insured. Hoping a new update will help more. Got rid of the Opera browser and that seemed to help a little bit.

reKon

Banned
Wtf? I just factory resert mine again and I cant even browse gaf due to how bad the performance is

Seems like something isn't right then. I mean I just fixed my Nexus 7 touch screen issue (again) and I've been browsing GAF fine. Even on the hands on videos I've seen on YouTube, pefromance looks fine and I didn't see anyone mention worse performance.

Seems like something isn't right then. I mean I just fixed my Nexus 7 touch screen issue (again) and I've been browsing GAF fine. Even on the hands on videos I've seen on YouTube, pefromance looks fine and I didn't see anyone mention worse performance.

Your scenario is completely different. We arent talking about the nexus 7

The nexus 9 had terrible performance issues (Probably related to android not ready for the 64 bit tegra) that were mostly resolved with 5.1.1. These performance improvements are gone again on my version of M

JoeFu

Banned
Got my G4. Really liking it!

One thing i never even thought about before that I miss from stock is the dialer. Oh well I'll get over it

bob page

I finished copying & reorganizing my photos into my Google Photos directory but it seems like some of the directories within aren't appearing in the app/website. Do I need to do something manually to get subfolders to monitor?

Been using my new Nexus 6 on Verizon Wireless for 24 hours, and am absolutely in love with it. Such a better experience from the shitty Optimus skin on my G3.

Never leaving Team Nexus (Nexii?) again?

If I'm in the market for an Android phone in the next 1-2 months, what are good options to consider in both the high-end range and mid-tier range?

otapnam

Does that use data to download business info?

Curious. Why did you pick the G4?

Coming off the s4 i still like the ability to swap batteries and the sd card slot.

The initial hype of the camera was nice too, then a few updates put me over the edge.

-They added quick charge capability
-LG is giving free 32gb sd + spare batt n charger
-android m announced that we can now format the sd card for secure apps.

I was also looking for a larger phone than what the s6 ended up being.

this will only be my 2nd android phone (iphone 3gs, 4 and 4s prior ). i don't mind giving LG a shot. The G3 had great reviews

clav

I actually wanted the Nexus 6 last year, but when news reported that it was gigantic 6 inch phone with a last minute removed finger print sensor and mediocre camera, I lost interest.

Hopefully Google can redesign a proper Nexus for this year.

jwk94

Looking for a phone to replace my GS5 until this year's Nexus device comes out. How are the following phones: Nexus 5, Nexus 6, and Asus Zenfone 2? I'm leaning toward the Nexus 5, but the NExus 6 seems pretty good too but the screen is a bit too big.

EDIT:
N5 and Z2 don't work on Verizon. Great! smh. How's the N6?

NotBacon

Neither do I if I'm being honest. The S6 probably performs faster than stock.

giphy.gif

I actually wanted the Nexus 6 last year, but when news reported that it was gigantic 6 inch phone with a last minute removed finger print sensor and mediocre camera, I lost interest.

Hopefully Google can redesign a proper Nexus for this year.

I am a little sad I don't have a fingerprint sensor, probably the only thing I like about my iPhone 6. The N6 camera is far from mediocre though. The software just needs some polish and the video focusing is annoying. Other than that, it takes better pics than the iPhone 8/10 times.
As for the size, go big or go home ;)

Top Bottom